PSA: Never Be Not Updating

#1 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3294 posts) -

In light of today's massive client patch of about 10,000 additional files, I'd like to take this opportunity to provide you with some advice a wise man (myself) once (just now) gave me: "only suckers and narcs don't update their game."

Really, you should be opening that .exe once a day preferably. After all this waiting, you don't want to fire up your game at launch and be met with a fat progress bar.

#2 Posted by TheHT (11227 posts) -

Thank for the heads up! This sort of thing has been followed by stress tests in the past, so we may be in for another treat. I'm guess maybe tuesday or wednesday? Probably the last one before pre-launch.

#3 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

10,000 files isn't a whole lot to update (took me around 5 minutes this past stress test) but I suspect that over this week we're going to see several updates that could all add up. Cheers for the advice duder, will get on this now.

#4 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3294 posts) -

@SamStrife: It really depends on the size of the files. This one's somewhere between .5 and 1 GB, so people with slower connections might have a decent wait on their hands.

#5 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam: Ah I never actually considered that some of the files could be huge and some could be tiny, that's a good point. That been said, this update only took me a few minutes and I don't have the world's greatest connection by an stretch of the imagination.

#6 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

I'm still preloading Darksiders II, but I'll get around to it when that's done. I'll definitely make sure everything's up to date before saturday (holy shit, yes it's that soon), even if I have to leave it updating 24/7.

#7 Posted by Fattony12000 (7402 posts) -

DOING IT!

#8 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1450 posts) -

Oh cool, I usually check if there are any updates every 4 days but I didn't check it out this week. Thanks =)

#9 Posted by Bollard (5523 posts) -

@SamStrife: It looks like it's gunna take me somewhere between half an hour and an hour. Love having less than 2Mb down.

@Dark_Lord_Spam: Previous records would indicate this points towards another stress test - what say ye?

#10 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

@Chavtheworld: There's rumors that it will be wednesday, we'll see.

#11 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Done and done!

#12 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@Chavtheworld: @Benny: Ooooh another Stress Test? Would be nice to have a mid-week WvW session.

#13 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2561 posts) -

Fuck yeah another stress test. Can't wait to see the balance changes.

#14 Posted by Bollard (5523 posts) -

@SamStrife: WvW sounds like a good shout.

#15 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@Chavtheworld: Since I got a PC that can run WvW at more than single digit frames-per-second, I've gone crazy for it. Really need to team up with a bunch of Lincoln Forcers and tear it up.

#16 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: Same, I'm kinda blown away that it's less than a week away now and I'm still not 100% sure on what profession I'm playing but balance changes have swayed me towards the guardian now.

I don't think it warrants a new thread or anything, but there's a post floating around that I thought you might like http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/51308-gamescom-when-its-ready-authenticators-gvg/ Some sort of GvG coming in the near future, authenticators of some sort for accounts & they've confirmed the max level 'endgame' if you want to call it that isn't 100% done yet.

#17 Posted by craptain (13 posts) -

If you leave the launcher open all day and they release a patch, will it auto patch or do you have to restart the launcher? I might just leave it up while I'm at work.

#18 Posted by Bollard (5523 posts) -

@craptain said:

If you leave the launcher open all day and they release a patch, will it auto patch or do you have to restart the launcher? I might just leave it up while I'm at work.

I *think* you have to re start it. I haven't tested it, but from the way it seems to work it downloads a few files to check if there are new patches whenever you open it, I assume once it's open it doesn't check anymore.

#19 Posted by Lukeweizer (2675 posts) -

Have they mentioned anything about having to download a new client for the release version? Or do we just keep updating our beta clients? On and unrelated note - have they said how we retrieve our HOM rewrads? Is it just /bonus type thing like in GW1?

#20 Posted by Mister_V (1281 posts) -

I'm certain you will be able to just update the current client. It would be insane to ask you to download the whole thing again.

#21 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3294 posts) -

@Lukeweizer: There's a permanent in-game item (like a stone or something) that you'll receive to transport you to your copy of the Hall of Monuments. I don't think anyone knows how we'll get the item yet, though.

#22 Posted by shinboy630 (1139 posts) -
@Dark_Lord_Spam

@Lukeweizer: There's a permanent in-game item (like a stone or something) that you'll receive to transport you to your copy of the Hall of Monuments. I don't think anyone knows how we'll get the item yet, though.

If I had to guess I would say it would be through in-game mail.
#23 Posted by Turkalurch (198 posts) -

@Lukeweizer said:

Have they mentioned anything about having to download a new client for the release version? Or do we just keep updating our beta clients? On and unrelated note - have they said how we retrieve our HOM rewrads? Is it just /bonus type thing like in GW1?

Automated ingame mail? Hopefully?

#24 Posted by TheHT (11227 posts) -

98MB update.

#25 Posted by Tarkhein (71 posts) -

@Lukeweizer said:

As far as I've heard, you go to your home instance to pick them up, but nothing has been said on what happens in between those two steps.

#26 Edited by TheHT (11227 posts) -

Looks like another substantial update is available. Only around 3,000 files, but the bar is barely filled and I've already downloaded about 200MB, so if the rest of the files follow suit it'll be a big update.

Nevermind, it's just 480MB.

#27 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2561 posts) -

@TheHT said:

Looks like another substantial update is available. Only around 3,000 files, but the bar is barely filled and I've already downloaded about 200MB, so if the rest of the files follow suit it'll be a big update.

Thanks HT - didn't think we'd get one till tomorrow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.