PvP, Dynamic Events, Combat and Story Explanations

#1 Edited by RobbieMac (535 posts) -

ArenaNet has released several videos in regards to various aspects of GW2. Most of this is things we know but useful none the less for people who don't know all of the mechanics of each area. Also, pirate ships in PvP!

#2 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3459 posts) -

What?!? No traditional questing? If I had known that, I would have never have gotten so excited for this game! :P

#3 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

HOoooooooooooooly. Just began watching the first video until it got to Tirzah Bauer. I played with an ArenaNet employee during the last BWE with the name Tirzah and now I know who it was.

Wat.

#4 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

The pirate ship must be part of the underwater sPVP map? I hope it isn't underwater, I don't think underwater combat will be very fun in PvP, and if I'm brutally honest, I haven't had that much fun with underwater combat in general.

Great set of videos though, needs more mainstream coverage now methinks.

#5 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

@Benny: Engineer underwater combat is awesome. Laying down mines and firing missiles is so satisfying.

#6 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@Benny said:

The pirate ship must be part of the underwater sPVP map? I hope it isn't underwater, I don't think underwater combat will be very fun in PvP, and if I'm brutally honest, I haven't had that much fun with underwater combat in general.

Here is the map:

I would think that the central cap point has an underwater entrance. Most of the combat can still take place on land (although the quickest path to the opposing cap point seems to be over water, which will result in inevitable underwater fights).

I'm not too thrilled about any underwater engagements though.

#7 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3459 posts) -

@Benny said:

The map layout was leaked along with the Legacy map a couple of months ago, and it seems that although about 50% is underwater, all of the capture points are on land. Also, the pirate ship has functioning cannons apparently.

#8 Edited by project343 (2838 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

What?!? No traditional questing? If I had known that, I would have never have gotten so excited for this game! :P

Paraphrased conversation between me and a friend as he was logging into the game and figuring things out:

Him: where's the questlog? What keybind? I can't find it.

Me: there are no quests.

Him: the fuck?

@Benny said:

The underwater combat is fantastically well designed at the moment. The problem is that most of the damage numbers are so low that fighting anything down there feels terribly underpowered. Some Skales (right?) regenerate health faster than most professions can kill them. If they bumped up the damage 20%, I think everything would be fine.

#9 Posted by Tarkhein (71 posts) -

PvE underwater combat is a problem, since you typically don't unlock skills fast enough and you're stuck with the auto-attack, but once you're over that hurdle, it's mostly golden. All they need to do is actually make skills unlock as you use it, rather than when you gain combat xp with the weapon in hand. Underwater melee is another issue entirely due to the much larger range of movement and the fact that it's harder to gauge distances.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.