Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

quick question about hypothetical release date

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By AURON570

Okay it says we can start preordering Guild Wars 2 on April 10th. I'm not familiar with game development cycles, but does that mean GW2 will be released some time in the summer? I know that arenanet is going to set a release date when they feel confident about their product, but I was just wondering how far after allowing preorders other games come out?

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Codeacious

I'm estimating mid to late summer.

Again, however, that's an estimate. I think A-Net's of the mindset of "release it when it's done," much like Blizzard.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BabyChooChoo

It could be anything from a day to a decade. There is no set time they have to release. They let you preorder Duke Nukem Forever (but thats a completely different story to be honest) 13 years before it actually came out lol.

In any case, judging by all the details we have to off of (they've started the beta phase which means they should be coming up on the home stretch of the dev cycle), I'm guessing it'll release sometime in the late summer/early fall. It's just a guess though. I think it's safe to say it'll definitely be out this year though.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

The pre-purchase is only an indication that someone has finalized the decision for what goes in those packages besides the actual game. Best way to estimate a release date is to compare the most recent gameplay footage to what you think a finished product from ArenaNet would look like.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Maystack

Well for the first game, the first beta weekend was about 4 months before the full release. So we could be be waiting until late fall til the release. However, I'm being optimistic and saying mid summer.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By UssjTrunks

There was a picture somewhere of sports jerseys hung in their office with the numbers on the back corresponding to June 28, 2012. I'll see if I can find the picture later.

Mid-late summer sounds reasonable to me, although I wouldn't surprised if it doesn't release until the fall.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@UssjTrunks: They confirmed that had nothing to do with a release date, but simply the dates when three employee's left. Considering how they've been so secretive about the date, it would have been a bit too obvious to just have it hanging up like that. I'd say there's a good chance of the game coming out in June/July, though I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't until August or September either, they're definitely not in a rush to release it.

But I'm pretty confident that they're not going to make people pre-purchase without knowing the release date, as much as I love Anet, that would be pretty scummy, and the fact they're not opening the pre-purchases until the 10th, gives them plenty of time to announce a date.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @WinterSnowblind: I think ArenaNet has said that they haven't nailed down a definite number of BWEs yet, so I'm not so full of hope for a release date at this point.
    Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Benny

I'd say a sweet spot would be just before August when games start coming out again. Perfect time really, but they'll want to iron out as many bugs as possible.

I suppose anyone who really wants to play the game will be playing in a month anyway, so not too long to wait.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WinterSnowblind

It's perhaps worth pointing out that certain retailers in Europe have mentioned that with pre-ordering you'll get into the beta event on the 20th of April and be able to use your headstart access key on the 17th of May.

Could just be random assumptions, so I wouldn't get too excited yet, but the dates seem oddly specific.. and with the game going out to retailers and such now, it's very possible they do have the correct dates (which would make the actual release date on the 20th of May).

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SamStrife

@WinterSnowblind: Same week as Diablo 3? I don't know about that Jim.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@SamStrife: Indeed, but a lot of people will have already paid in full by next month anyway. Plus if they already have these things set in stone, I doubt they'll delay it just because another game is coming out, even if that's Diablo.

But I just thought it was interesting information, it's not necessarily accurate.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Maystack

May 17th is the perfect time for it to be released. I finish Uni for the year on the 14th, so that'll leave me the whole summer to play it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.