Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Reddit AMA and GW2 Guru IRC Chat Reveal New Closed Beta Info

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Invites are going to be sent out starting Friday. Keep in mind that the selection process will be done internally by ArenaNet, and so there will not be any public application forms. There's a bunch of other cool info being shared, so be sure to check out the logs.

EDIT: Changed the Reddit log to link to a Google Doc that someone conveniently sorted by category. Should make it easier to find the answers you're looking for.

Reddit AMA
    Log of the Reddit AMA Answers
    Log of the Guru IRC Dev Chat

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Subjugation

Question #4: "In WvW what is the maximum number of players allowed on one given map? Or what is the most people you've seen in a WvW at the office?"

Answer: "At least 500."

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SuperWristBands

So many questions. So many answers. I got about 30 questions in. Pretty cool, but there are so many!

Now I know that the Mesmer's portals have a range of 208ft (63 meters). So I'll do something useful with that knowledge.

zolkowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zolkowski

I had no idea how heavily they were focusing on PvP this time around. How did I miss this? Everything on their website is advertising the story and focusing on the player, but from what is being said about PvP in the AMA it sounds absolutely massive. Is there anywhere else we can read about this? My roommates were shying away from the game as they are PvP-all-the-way type of MMO players and this would be a great way to drag them in. (Hello, hello, first post and all that jazz)

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By shinboy630

Question #59: "Can I draw on the map in GW2?"

Answer: "Yes! How could we give that up? "

Is it odd that that is the question/answer that excited me most?

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Vexxan

@shinboy630: No, drawing on the map was the best thing about the original Guild Wars.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Zolkowski said:

I had no idea how heavily they were focusing on PvP this time around. How did I miss this? Everything on their website is advertising the story and focusing on the player, but from what is being said about PvP in the AMA it sounds absolutely massive. Is there anywhere else we can read about this? My roommates were shying away from the game as they are PvP-all-the-way type of MMO players and this would be a great way to drag them in. (Hello, hello, first post and all that jazz)

Here's a few links that might help explain the basics of structured PvP and the only map they've demoed so far:
    Player vs. Player Overview
    The Battle of Kyhlo - Jonathan Sharp on PvP
    Making the Battle of Kyhlo(this one has less to do with mechanics than giving you an idea of how they construct the maps)

ArenaNet hasn't done a huge blowout on their WvW game-type yet, but here's the information we have at this point. If nothing else, tell your room-mates that Jon St. John is the voice of the announcer for a hard sell.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Zolkowski said:

PVP was a big focus in the original GW and they've always said it would be here too. They just haven't given much details about it yet.

The beta starting this week is definitely good news too, since they've said before that it's something that would only happen towards the end of the development process, when they're already generally happy with everything. It feels like I've been waiting for this game forever, but it definitely feels a bit closer now.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By TheHT

Wow. The only game I played massive PvP in was Lineage 2, and for as shitty as those moments ran on my old PC, they were pretty exhilerating nonetheless. But man, 650 people is a helluva lotta dudes.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fattony12000

Utterly fucking sick.

I'm vomitting assy blood jizz all over my own face and anus and hair in turgid anticipation.

Oh...you mean...you don't do that too?

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Codeacious

I have almost no chance of getting in on this beta, but this Q&A is just making me more excited for the game. If they're just starting a outsourced (not friends/family) closed beta, what does that mean for how long it'll be until release?

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Benny

@isnipeyoudie: I'm hoping march. Seems the majority view was that it would be Q1 2012 weeks ago, before they even announced they were doing this closed beta, so it looks to be coming along at a good pace now.

Would be a great time to snag some of the early drop-outs from the old republic and the big march games are Mass effect 3 and Street fighter X Tekken, both on the 6th, so a Late march release could be a great sweet spot.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Benny: I still can't see the game releasing before Q2, if for no other reason than I think ArenaNet will want to squeeze a couple more convention demos in first (and potentially announce a date at PAX East?).
    Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Benny

@Dark_Lord_Spam: Fair point, I do think the game will be pretty much done by march (hell if it's in closed beta now it's technically content complete) but from the sounds of things they overhaul entire systems, even now this late in development, if they feel something could be improved or better implemented.

They should look to set a date pretty soon though, cause I know in a perfect world they would just finish the game then say "game's done, buy it next week!" but this sort of release demands collectors editions and early access programs and a big strategic marketing push, and they probably hurt that process the longer they wait before announcing a date.

That said, I can see myself pre-ordering the collectors edition and I totally froth at the mouth for any new GW2 info, but I would prefer that they take whatever time they need.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shinboy630

@isnipeyoudie: I would not too surprised to see it come out April 28 (so Q2 like a lot of people think), because both Prophecies and Factions came out on that date and IMO it would be cool for them to do an anniversary thing.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mazik765

@Fattony12000 said:

Utterly fucking sick.

I'm vomitting assy blood jizz all over my own face and anus and hair in turgid anticipation.

Oh...you mean...you don't do that too?

Seek help.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @shinboy630 said:

@isnipeyoudie: I would not too surprised to see it come out April 28 (so Q2 like a lot of people think), because both Prophecies and Factions came out on that date and IMO it would be cool for them to do an anniversary thing.

They've said that there won't be an attempt to line up the release date with the GW1 anniversary because they want both games to have a distinct identity.
    zolkowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zolkowski

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

Here's a few links that might help explain the basics of structured PvP and the only map they've demoed so far:
    Player vs. Player Overview
    The Battle of Kyhlo - Jonathan Sharp on PvP
    Making the Battle of Kyhlo(this one has less to do with mechanics than giving you an idea of how they construct the maps)

Your time for answering me is greatly appreciated. After reading through all of those once more, and with the knowledge of the scale of these battles, I might now be able to come up with a convincing case to get my roommates to get the game with me (Given they are finished with Star Wars The Old Republic by then). When I told them of the voice actor there was a synched "Who?". Played the preview clip, instant happiness.

Now I'm real excited for this :)

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shinboy630

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@shinboy630 said:

They've said that there won't be an attempt to line up the release date with the GW1 anniversary because they want both games to have a distinct identity.

Oh really? I hadn't heard that, but I guess it makes sense if they are trying to set them apart.

zolkowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zolkowski

@shinboy630 said:

Oh really? I hadn't heard that, but I guess it makes sense if they are trying to set them apart.

It makes sense if they just want to make a stable game as opposed to making a fancy release date. Forced/Rushed deadlines are prone for disaster. I'd rather have all companies give a generic release date than have it set in stone - with typical results being either a buggy/unoptimized release, or a fan-base foaming at the mouth in rage when it gets delayed. (I'm implying this towards games that have a release date before they even have any idea when it would actually be finished.)

I'm assuming, since they are keeping the '2012' release date, they want to finish the game when they feel it's proper enough to do so.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I think the main reason will be to keep the game separate from GW1, I don't expect there to be much hype over the fact it's a sequel. One of the biggest problems they have is the fact people think it's just a sequel to GW1.. Still has a big focus on PVP, little adventuring, instanced areas, etc. They're advertising is really going to have to sell the fact that isn't the case.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.