Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Reports from the Beta Front

• 191 results
    fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By fattony12000

HOW IN THE ASS HELL DO I GET THIS UNDISCOVERED POINT IN THE MIDDLE OF DIVINITY?

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Fattony12000: I've been looking for that one too. Lion's Arch has a couple of really tricky ones, but I see no physical way of getting to that one.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Maystack

I've got 18 of the divinity's reach ones. The last two are in the centre building and there are doors in the way. DOORS!

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Looking a bit more, it seems to be the palace. I'm pretty sure that's something that will open up with a story event later on.

@Maystack: You should be able to get 19. Did you go inside the Seraph headquarters instance and the building to the right of the palace?

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By Dunchad

@Fattony12000: You need to go through one of the shimmering doorways to get to the upper area. Then there are 2 locations worth mentioning, the temple of the six (where you can get run speed boost) and the Seraph HQ where the undiscovered point is.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Maystack

@WinterSnowblind: I think I'm probably missing the seraph hq one.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#107  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I haven't run into a single bug or connection issue, but I also doubt I'll be playing it much. TERA is out today as well, and I'd rather get going on that.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Liber

17 hours later, still can't login.

BEST BETA EVER.

Cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#109  Edited By Cake

@Liber said:

17 hours later, still can't login.

BEST BETA EVER.

Same, and apparently most (all?) of the Middle-East users.

Good times.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#110  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@Liber: @Cake: Only thing I can think of is for you guys to contact support. It sucks that you're having trouble getting in so far, but hopefully testing will ensure that future beta events are more stable.

Cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Cake

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@Liber: @Cake: Only thing I can think of is for you guys to contact support. It sucks that you're having trouble getting in so far, but hopefully testing will ensure that future beta events are more stable.

I'm sure their support is pretty flooded by now, no chance to get an answer out of them really.

From all of the Middle-Eastern users on the forums, I'm starting to think ANet didn't assign a default datacenter to us, so no matter which one we chose we got stuck in the "transfer" loop.

What's extra annoying is that they didn't come out with an explanation as to why is this happening, what every error means, etc. Even just knowing that would give people some rest.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#112  Edited By MachoFantastico

Haven't bothered to participate in the beta myself, but heard a few worryingly poor things about the game so far. Let's hope they fix some of the issues as I enjoyed the original Guild Wars. 

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#113  Edited By emem

Weirdly enough I haven't read that many complaints about the frame rate on GB. I get less than 10 FPS during combat (world vs world = 5-7) and as someone who plays a melee class that's absolutely unplayable. The GW2 beta has the worst performance I've ever had in any game (alphas/betas included) ever. My specs = Phenom II 955 @ 3.7, GTX 570, 8GB RAM...for those of you who got a similar setup and who are thinking about getting GW2, you should probably not buy the game just yet and wait for patches and benchmarks.

Has anyone figured out a way to improve the performance?

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#114  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I've heard reports of complete shit FPS from everyone with an AMD CPU, especially Phenoms. Will probably get better, but the game is extremely CPU hungry.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Sooty

Where the hell are you meant to level? I'm like 6 as a charr and all the main quests seem to be red/orange in colour, now what am I meant to do? I've done all the public stuff around me.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By emem
    @Ertard: Yep, the game uses about 40 percent of my CPU and 15 (fifteen) percent of my GPU... that can't be right.
    Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Liber

ArenaNET are trolling me -_-

Really ? You send me this after I failed to login for 20 hours ?

No Caption Provided
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#118  Edited By Rhaknar

ok, now that ive been playing since this morning (saturday, ended up giving up on friday, europe here), im really liking it. The skills tied to weapons thing is probably the best thing in a mmo in a long time. Class wise, I ended up not really liking the engineer (was going to be my main before this) but I love the Mesmer and the Elementalist, have no idea which of the 2 Ill play first

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#119  Edited By 1337W422102
    @Chavtheworld said:

@1337W422102 said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@1337W422102 said:

It scales surprisingly well. I managed to play it decently on my shitty HP laptop on a low resolution, which I wasn't expecting would work. Played for about an hour until... I don't know, I guess the server went down or something, and I couldn't get back in. I'm guessing there's a lot of lore, but the initial story is really weak. "I come from [background] and now I want to save people!"

What spec laptop are you using? I wanna find out if my friend (who can run StarCraft 2 and Shogun 2 on his laptop) will be able to run it.

Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz, 3 gigs of RAM, GeForce 8400M GS. Keep in mind that I was running it at the lowest visual settings and even then the framerate wasn't spectacular.

That's okay, I'm running on an i7 with a GTX580 and the framerate still sucks on medium haha! My mate has very similar specs, the only thing I'm worried about is how poor his graphics card is. He has a integrated intel something-or-the-other with the minimum requirement for video RAM. But otherwise his specs match yours, especially considering how CPU intensive it is atm I think he might be fine...

Best of luck and have fun!  I didn't get into the next round of the beta, so be sure to kill some stuff for me.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Bollard

@1337W422102: Thanks!

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#121  Edited By Benny

Still need to play Guardian and Ranger and I'm currently playing a human elementalist. It's pretty fun and there's a tonne of abilities. Here she is:

No Caption Provided

Someone had already taken 'Megan Fawkes' and the alternative probably wouldn't pass the profanity filter.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Funkydupe

Did they nerf the character creator because "some players found it too time consuming" ???

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#123  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@emem said:

@Ertard: Yep, the game uses about 40 percent of my CPU and 15 (fifteen) percent of my GPU... that can't be right.

It's worth noting that the beta fits the very definition of unoptimized (and is extremely CPU-dependent). You should fare better as they move towards launch.

@Funkydupe: Don't know what you mean. It's the same creator it's always been.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#124  Edited By Seppli

I'm getting pretty solid framerates out of a Phenom X4 965 BE, 1GB HD 5870, 8 GB DDR-1333 RAM. When I'm out and about exploring, it almost feels like 60.

In crowded PvE events and WvW, the framerate drops, but it remained playable even with 50 odd characters on screen.

Since it doesn't matter much either way, I crank it up to the max, except for AA.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#125  Edited By Codeacious

I have an I7-720QM, 5870M, 8GB RAM (I think 1333, might be the next one down), and Win7 x64. I get 40 fps on medium/high, with around 3-5 fps anytime during a big WvW fight no matter what my settings are.

Cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Cake

Haha there was a thread on their forums about the 21 error, had 2500+ posts (pretty civilized, weirdly enough), 8000+ views, and ArenaNet just locked it without saying a word. Good times.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Seppli

@Beaudacious said:

I absolutely love this game!!!!!

The difficulty with scaling is freaking fantastic!! Can i say lvl 4, 80 player raid on one lvl 8 boss? Oh man i ran around reviving people , throwing in some dmg, utter chaos! Fantastic Chaos! Can you imagine how long it would take to group up a 80 player raid, in a traditional mmo? It took literally no effort, and people were playing like a team. Everyone is helping each other, rezing each other, dodging left right, using actual strategy right from the first boss you encounter.

Combat is great, it seems simple a the start, then you start dying and realize you actually have to think about every single encounter. Positioning, kiting, dodging at the right time, switching form long range to melee, i don't think I've ever had to pay so much attention in an mmo before.

Structured PVP is really addicting, haven't played enough WvW yet. The cities are gorgeous, huge, intimidating, and so worth exploring. The environment is great as well, following from marshes, to forest, to cave ,and mountains. I can't decide what i want to do, go craft, pve, pvp, WvW , i wan't to do them all!

Again the difficulty is spot on, as @Subjugation said there's no more auto-pilot, gotta stay on your toes. You never know whats around the corner, coming up the road, or what ability a mob will throw at you.

I'm really excited for this game, and i just want it to come out so i can roll my release toon. I haven't been this excited for an mmo since the release of Vanilla WoW.

I was most skeptical about the downscaling of high lvl-players to low-lvl content, but it really is awesome. I missed a skill point event at the very beginning, got sucked into a lowlevel public event chain whilst chasing down the skill event, it was challenging and fun and rewarded xp - there's no such thing as overleveled anymore. Just content.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Sooty

My performance is utter ass at times, 4Ghz i5, heavily OC'd GTX 470 and 4GB of RAM.

Even on low it runs pretty badly, I really do hope they sort it out for the live release, I've never played a beta with performance as sketchy as this before.

It's pretty depressing to come from Shogun 2 maxed out at 60FPS to this!

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By AURON570

LOL so finally I can access the Beta forums, then I FINALLY find out that this Beta Weekend event is only for people who pre-purchased the game, and not people who were part of the closed beta and didn't pre-purchase the game(like me). Oh well, still pretty excited about the game.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Subjugation

@D_W said:

One thing I just realized I forgot to do was add stats points after each level. Perhaps I should have paid more attention. That could explain why I was dying a lot. hah

Do you mean traits or am I missing something in game?

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#131  Edited By D_W
    @Subjugation said:

@D_W said:

One thing I just realized I forgot to do was add stats points after each level. Perhaps I should have paid more attention. That could explain why I was dying a lot. hah

Yeah I meant traits. I thought they were unlocked much earlier then they are.
    Cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Cake

Hey are the forums down for anyone else? It keeps giving me a "Login Failure" when I try to sign in.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Seppli

Love the little NPC conversations happening everywhere. In events, in citites, someplace on the road, in caves - literally anywhere. NPCs going about their day, gossiping. It's the little touches, that bring the magic.

Now it's time to move on from my Norn Warrior to 'something Caster'.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By fetchfox

@Seppli said:

Love the little NPC conversations happening everywhere. In events, in citites, anywhere on the road, in caves - literally anywhere. NPCs going about their day, gossiping. It's the little touches, that bring the magic.

Now it's time to move on from my Norn Warrior to 'something Caster'.

I agree, it feels alive in many ways. I think I'm going to create something ells myself, as the characters do get deleted after the beta. Gotta try something different while I can.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Seppli

@D_W said:

@Subjugation said:

@D_W said:

Yeah I meant traits. I thought they were unlocked much earlier then they are.

They are unlocked when reaching lvl 10. You'll need to buy a book from a class trainer every couple of lvl's. The first will cost you 10 silver.

Ragnarok512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Ragnarok512

Thief has turned out to be far more interesting than I thought it would be. The high mobility is a dream in PvP.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Sooty

My game's running better now, I'm not sure if they changed something or me moving it onto my SSD has affected FPS somehow.

Still far from ideal however!

Engineer is good fun, on the next weekend I'll try to get warrior to 15 or so and then after that thief. I'm leaning heavily towards Engineer for my release class, will be even better without the delay on abilities. (really noticeable when doing rocket jumps)

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Maystack

Tried playing a guardian, but I don't really like the way melee works. I was fine with the elementalist dagger attacks because it wasn't point blank, I could strafe from a few feet away, but having to be right up on the enemies feet just doesn't seem right with the fast flowing combat. Might try a thief next.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Adamsons

Melee in pve feels like it is at a significant disadvantage imo. Just got some green pistols so going to try my thief again with guns.

No Caption Provided
    UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Maystack said:

Tried playing a guardian, but I don't really like the way melee works. I was fine with the elementalist dagger attacks because it wasn't point blank, I could strafe from a few feet away, but having to be right up on the enemies feet just doesn't seem right with the fast flowing combat. Might try a thief next.

Yeah, range is definitely much easier to use. Although I enjoyed guardian melee because you're so tough. I hated thief melee (which I thought I would love). Ranged thief is great, but you get slaughtered in any melee fight that isn't 1v1.

Cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Cake

Hey anyone mind trying to log in the beta forums? Can't log on for about an hour and a half now...

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By RobbieMac

Tried logging in apparently forums are down and many people are getting error 48 (login issue). Well now I guess they know they will need to revamp the servers.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By UssjTrunks

Servers are down for everyone.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Subjugation

@UssjTrunks said:

Servers are down for everyone.

Ah, good to know. I just tried logging in for the first time of the day and got that error 48. I'll take some solace if everyone is having the same issue.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Sooty

I got dc'd earlier and haven't been able to get back on, about 30 people and me just took down the shaman boss in that cave, I managed to loot some blue item before getting dc'd!

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Maystack

Servers down? Great time to watch some basketball then.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#147  Edited By project343

@Adamsons: I think the idea is to switch around your playstyles. I've played a fair bit of Guardian and tons of Engineer, really digging all my weapon skills. Certainly feels like there's more reactionary depth than a convoluted 'traditional' MMO system. Then again, as an Engineer, I keep swapping between my kits, so maybe I'm a tad biased.

@Karkarov said:

As for what I did play.... story segments seemed like SWtOR light, and the gameplay itself felt well... like a faster guild wars 1 with warhammer public quests. So far I am not particularly impressed by anything but it is too soon to tell for sure.

I'd actually akin the personal story more to the original Guild Wars with aspects of SWTOR thrown into the mix. The way you're instanced, and the way the different variations of the story bring different players to drastically different areas. I don't know. I think I prefer it.

Combat is nothing like the original Guild Wars. I'd throw that whole proposition out the window. It's feels lot more like a mix of MOBA games and... something wholly unique? I can't come up with a comparison. You can fire skills off whenever you like, can dodge, and there's certainly some amount of aiming for both ranged and melee weapons, but there isn't a reticle. The short list of skills and their tactical/reactionary use (as opposed to inherent priority/rotation systems in other MMOs) is very much like what you see in MOBA games though.

@Juvenfly: From my experience, the Charr starting area is significantly more difficult in particular areas than others. Norn area was a nice balance. And human area seemed laughably easy.

@Subjugation: I'm shocked you actually got around to crafting. I walked up to the set of trainers. Started training. Fiddled with salvage kits. Realized I needed tools for particular things. Then I just threw everything on the ground and said: "NO TIME. MUST KEEP MOVING."

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By RobbieMac

@Maystack: NFL draft for me. If the Raptors ever get good maybe I will watch basketball again.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Maystack

@RobbieMac: Raps are up there as second favourite team, so I know that feel. Then again, watching the Suns fall a foot short of the playoffs was painful.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Bollard

I hadn't been dc'd but I let the game idle too long and it logged me out :( (or maybe it did DC while I was away). Now I can't get back in. Ah well, I'll come back tomorrow!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.