Sealed Envelope: What are your favo(u)rite races and why?

#1 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

Hey all! This is a companion topic to the classes discussion.

With the last beta coming up, I think a lot of us are planning to finally nail down our launch decisions over those three days.

I thought it would be fun if we did a sound-off of where we stand at the moment given our experiences from the last two betas or (for those who are jumping in now) from the coverage pre release.

So!

*Updated*

• What are your favourite races right now? (and which is your current pick?)
  • Why?
  • What is your favourite racial city / starter area right now?
  • Will you be trying out Sylvari and Asura?
  • Are you saving anything for release? Which race? Will that be your main?

It'll be great to see how opinions change after this beta, so expect to see a similar topic crop up closer to release for comparisons.

Also, we'll probably be chatting about this on the next Lincolncast, so any good posts / big trends here will be featured.

#2 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

For my current responses,

Favourite race:

I'm a huge Human fanboy so that will pretty much always take top spot for me, but if I had to list them, it'd go;

1. Human
  2. Sylvari
  3. Asura
  4. Norn
  5. Charr

Why?

As for why, I've always thought humanity was the centre of Guild Wars and is, in general, always the most relate-able race to me in the fantasy genre (because we're human ourselves). I also love the idea of Humanity being an old race in this world, somewhat like the Tolkien Elves, and only having one final bastion on the continent of Tyria.

Additionally, Divinity's reach is by far my favourite city and starting area (it's just so perdy - and I've only ever seen press footage).

Other

Finally, I will be playing only Asura in this beta as I'm saving Sylvari for release (and it'll be my 2nd character, after my human : P )

ED: I think I'll add a bit about starter areas to the OP

#3 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Do the races change a whole lot? I haven't been paying much attention to that. If they did though it wouldn't affect my decision much cause I like human looking characters so it's Norn or Human for me but I have been playing Human in the beta weekends.

EDIT: List:

1)Human

2)Norn

3)Sylvari

4)Asura

5)Charr

The above is based entirely on aesthetics.

I might look at the character creator for Sylvari but I doubt I'll actually make one.

What does saving something for release mean? Like ignoring PVP or something? Cause I did that and pretty much everything else. Got a character to level 6 but I'd rather not have to restart too much in the final release.

#4 Edited by RobbieMac (534 posts) -

- Asura/Sylvari are at the top and then Human/Norn and Charr last

- I loved when the Asura were introduced in GW1. I loved their attitude and the fact that there race was based around science (an area I am in love with). With the video @selfconfessedcynic posted yesterday it was just solidified that this is the race for me. In the character creation you choose your discipline of study, your mentor and a creation and these are all things a graduate student as my self must do (creation being a thesis topic). So this race kind of hit home because it relates to my life in a way. The Sylvari are also very interesting because I love forests and green areas filled with trees. This is due to my summers when I was a child spent up in northern Canada at a cottage, so if the Sylvari starting area is amazing as I assume it will be I might have to choose them as a starting race.

- I still love the humans but I just want a bit of a change of pace to start, though I do love the Human starting area the most of the 3 I have seen.

- Saving nothing for release because I must decide if Asura or Sylvari will be my starting race.

PS: how can anyone like the Charr after GW1, seriously have some respect :P

#5 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

@SuperWristBands:

So, for example, I have never seen divinity's reach outside of things I've seen by accident or because I was careless. The reason for this is that I'm saving it for release, and by that I mean I'm stopping myself from seeing most of that city because I want the discovery of what it has to hold to be part of my release experience, not blown off in the betas.

Same for the entire Sylvari race. I am not going to touch it in the betas, because I want to experience their starting area, etc come release.

As for what changes between the races;

• No game-play factors change. They all move at the same rate, sink at the same rate etc.
  • You do get some flavourful pve-only skills exclusive to each race, but these are less powerful than their class-based alternatives
  • You get a different first-quest and a different starting area, but once you reach your race's main city you can teleport to any of the others and play with friends / see what there is to see.
#6 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

Favourite Race:

1. HUMAN

Why? It's the only serious looking race. All the other races look goofy/girly to me.

Must Try:

1. Asura

Why? Their size and animations (attack and dodge roll) look incredibly awesome and fluid. Probably won't be making one on release though, just during the beta.

I thought a norn would be pretty cool, but after making one in BWE1 I was turned off by their silly movement animations.

#7 Posted by Getz (2986 posts) -

BLACK POWER

#8 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

@Getz said:

BLACK POWER

XD

#9 Posted by MrMazz (905 posts) -
  • Norn
  • Charr
  • Asura
  • Sylvari
  • Humans

I'm sick of playing as boring humans in Guild Wars. The struggle of humanity has been done to death. After seeing the Sylvari character creation video they look a lot cooler than I thought they would. Asura are smart alecks I like that. Charr and Norn are the two races I've been dying to play as since GW:EN. My plan is to literally make the biggest Norn possible and get him the biggest Axe and Mace possible. Same for Charr just love the industrial aesthetics. Oddly I like the human capital the most since it's easiest for me to navigate I got lost in the Black Citadel for 15 minutes during the first BWE.

If I get borred I might rock an Asura or Sylvari but Norn and Charr will be top of the list.

#10 Posted by Tarkhein (71 posts) -

I'll just leave this here...

#11 Posted by IamTerics (400 posts) -

In order from least to greatest

• Sylvari
  • Charr
  • Asura/Norn
  • Human

I think the Sylvari are the most interesting lore wise, being the youngest race and all. The only real thing I've read about them, aside form their announcement, was the Game Informer spread a while back. I won't play them in the next beta event to save the Sylvari for the release of the game. Also trees are pretty cool. I love everything about the Charr especially looking at the way they've changed from GW1. Asura and Norn are cool too though. Asura definitely have the coolest starting zone, not having seen the Sylvari area. And the techno-magic and floating cubes look pretty great.Finally, Humans are too standard for my taste.

#12 Posted by MrWythers (11 posts) -
  1. Charr
  2. Human
  3. Asura
  4. Sylvari
  5. Norn

I have always loved playing the "monstrous race" so Charr seems right up my alley. Humans are pretty standard so not much to complain about their. Something about the Asura amuses me to no end. The Sylvari are a nice twist on the "elf race", for lack of a better term. Norns are...well Nords. As for my favorite city it has got to be Divinity's Reach hands down, such an awesome looking city. I'll probably end up having at least one of every race at some point, but Human and Charr are definitely going to be my first picks.

#13 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

I don't actually know which race I like, Charr are too serious, Sylvari and Asura I know too little about, Norn are kind of dull and Humans look too much like models and anime for me.

#14 Edited by Dark_Lord_Spam (3128 posts) -

I'm gonna try to use actual paragraphs here, because my post in the other thread looks like a train wreck.

Order of races:

1. charr
  2. asura
  3. sylvari
  4. humans
  5. norn
And based on this:
@selfconfessedcynic said:

5. Charr

@SuperWristBands said:

5)Charr

@RobbieMac said:

Charr last

@Aronman789 said:

Charr are too serious

my charr elementalist has a lot of whiny baby-characters to barbecue.

Why:
It's a combination of background lore, philosophy, and general 'tude. The charr know how to get business done, in a timely fashion, and they aren't down for your bullshit. Plus, they live in what are basically highly trained murder-families. That's love right there.

Asura are sort of dicks, but if I'm anything it's a snarky, sarcastic asshole. I also love their curiosity-at-all-costs approach.

The sylvari are just so... shiny, I guess? Their lore is all super-recent but with huge potential ties to old Guild Wars lore, their appearance since the re-design is hands-down the most unique of all the races, and everything surrounding them seems mysterious.

Humans I'm cool with because they're humans, and I played humans in GW1, but their crusader aesthetic isn't the most interesting thing to me.

Norn... well... theoretically, I should love the norn. Badass, half-giant hunter-vikings who can also shape-shift into bears is a great core concept, and the Shiverpeaks were my absolute favorite region in the original game. But there's just not enough nuance there. I think I've seen one norn NPC I could relate to, and it was the brain-damaged bunny guy. Maybe that says more about me than about them, though.

Favorite city:
Divinity's Reach. We all know why. Except for Cynic, I guess. The brief snippets I've seen of Rata Sum are extremely promising, though. Can't wait to get a good look at it.

Sylvari/asura:
Hoping to create a sylvari guardian for BWE3. I'm saving the asura for release, though.

What I'm saving for release:
Charr and asura content, as they'll be my first two characters. Also humans, simply because I never had the time to make one.

Hmm. Nope. This post still looks like a garbage fire.
#15 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3128 posts) -

Also, here's a link to the different up-front showcase armors for the different race/profession combinations, for anyone who wants to get a sense for the races' general appearance and flavor.

#16 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

For me, I've been flipflopping so much on which race to play on releasem mainly between Norn and Charr. So far I'd list them as such:

1. Norn - Love their culture, vikings are cool
  2. Charr - Thought it was awesome having Pyre as a hero in GW1, but they're slightly too serious
  3. Sylvari - Really interesting spin on the typical elf type in most fantasy games
  4. Human - A bit boring
  5. Asura - Architecture's cool, but really don't like the design of the actual race

Currently I'd say my favourite starter area that I've played would be the norn. Hoelbrak is pretty cool with the different beast halls, and the surrounding area gives a nice variety of areas. The asura area also interests me, but not enough to actually play one :P

I might try Asura in the next beta, as they're on the bottom of my list for actual release, and probably won't play one for a long time.

@Tarkhein: Oh man if they don't make Quaggan a playable race, they will be missing out on a great opportunity. They can't say they're too small/puny if you can play as asura.

#17 Posted by garion046 (12 posts) -

Favourite Race:

1. Sylvari
  2. Asura
  3. Human
  4. Norn
  5. Charr

Why?

I've played a Norn through the beta mainly because I knew it wouldn't be my main (that said, it was fun, but I think its zones are the weakest right now). The Sylvari are my choice simply because they're unique and their appearance seems amazing and very customisable, they're quite mysterious, and seem to have a more specific link to the elder dragons so I feel the story will be very interesting. Asura are a close second because their attitude is hilarious, however I want to play around with dyes/armour and I feel the Asura are the hardest race to do this with. The other 3 are very close, I like aspects of all of them, but not enough to use them initially.

What is your favourite racial city / starter area right now?

I love Divinity's Reach, but I think after this beta Rata Sum might end up being my favourite. We'll see. I think one of the new jungle-like starter zones will be my favourite. The others were fun enough, but these seem to have more options for interesting content.

Will you be trying out Sylvari and Asura? Are you saving anything for release?

Just Asura (not sure on class, maybe a guardian or engineer). I'll save Sylvari for release. I also haven't played a Charr yet as I want to have one story apart from my main untouched.

#18 Posted by pekarn (86 posts) -

Humans are fine, nothing special just standard normal characters.

I still have a hard time seeing Charr as good guys. After having spent counless hours killing them in GW1 I don't trust them. I felt very uneasy when visiting the Charr starting area with my human in the BWE. It felt like the part in Star Wars where they are on the death star pretending to be storm troopers, I felt like at any moment they would realize I didn't belong there and turn on me. That said though the charr city was probably the coolest looking place I've seen so far in the game.

Norn I don't really have any opinion on. They don't really interest me. I guess I'll try one at some point though.

Asura are the super cute small things with bunny ears right? They look super cool. And so cute, I just want to hug them.

Sylvari I have no idea what they look like or what they are.

At launch I'll probably start as Asura, might possibly go human instead though.

#19 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Thus far, from what I've played.... Charr > Norn > Humans. Likely end up playing an Asura Elementalist, if I'm not put off by their race specific content. If I'm not playing an Asura/Scholar race/class combination, I'll be playing a Charr. Except for the mushroom head Sylvari, I'm not quite in love with their look. Maybe if their lore appeals to me, I might go with a Sylvari instead of an Asura, if I go Scholar that is. A Sylvari Rogue might be an option too, depending on if I like that class or not.

#20 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3128 posts) -
@pekarn said:

Sylvari I have no idea what they look like or what they are.

I live to serve.
Sylvari start at 8:26.
#21 Edited by Curious_George (142 posts) -

I never played GW1, so lore wise I don't know which races appeal to me. But from my time studying up on and playing GW2, it would be Charr, Norn, and Sylvari in a three way tie for first, with Asura close behind and Humans in dead last.

I usually like to play beastial or "alien" races in MMOs. I think it's the most fun to play something that's a departure from the human forms I see every day in real life. Charr seem interesting in that regard and I love the general aesthetic of their race. Norn are appealing in their physical brutishness. Also, if I roll a humanoid race it's almost always a Norsemen inspired one that I inevitably choose. Sylvari are actually unlike the races I would usually pick, but I think they're just a really fantastic design (if they were still just green elves I would never have played them).

Favorite city was The Black Citadel. I love the dark, industrial landscape (kind of felt part steampunk and part ominous industrial factory).

#22 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

My favourite race is probably the charr. They're much more unique than the typical orc race you generally get in MMO's and their history from GW1 makes them really interesting. I mean, there was an armour set that was literally a skinned charr. Their design is just really cool looking as well and I particularly like that they didn't sexualize the females, which would have resulted in a weird furry race, or going the typical route of simply making them look like humans with cat ears. The sylvari are a pretty drastic departure from the typical "elf" race too. Their design and lore is just all really fantastic, I'm really looking forward to making one of them.

The asura are a little less unique than the others, but I do still really like their attitude and appearance and I'll be making one of each race regardless.

The norn starting area has been my favourite so far, the snowy wilderness and the norse lodgings just look amazing.

#23 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -
If I was to give the races "points" based on what you guys have said so far (5 for number 1, 4 for number 2, etc) we would have...

1. 39 Points - Human
  2. 35 Points - Sylvari & Charr
  3. 33 Points - Asura
  4. 32 Points - Norn
Wow - looks like Anet have done a fantastic job of providing diversity enough for each person to find their own AND for many of us to be also interested in the others.

Note: For ties, I've knocked the points down as many levels there are on the spot - for example, first would usually get 5 points but 2 tied for first would each get 4 points and three tied for first would each get 3 points.
#24 Posted by announakis (114 posts) -
  • What are your favourite races right now? (and which is your current pick?)

Sylvari, Norn and humans, asura and last the charrs

• Why?

The Background of the Sylvari is just awesome: I love these beings impregnated via the dream of the great tree by the experience of those already walking the world...brilliant! They look interesting too. fits my expectations for casters or ranger thief maybe...

But on the visual side I am more classic: I like human/norn looking weapons and armors...so for a warrior, I would go female Norn (the males look way too bulky...like meat cubes.... It is just ridiculous) or male human.

the biggest let down are the charr for me: I loved them initially, when I was still hoping you could chose their stance so they could look straight and not always hunched forward...but in the end their little legs, huge arms and ridiculously thick neck, their slow running animation make that they appear more cow-like than cat-like to me now...a shame really....great potential these charrs...*sobs*

• What is your favourite racial city / starter area right now?

clearly divinity's reach

• Will you be trying out Sylvari and Asura?

hell yeah!

• Are you saving anything for release? Which race? Will that be your main?

no I try to look at my options before release so I can stick to one main and not grow tired of it in 2 weeks realizing that was the wrong choice for me (that will probably happen anyway but well...you know...)

#25 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic said:

If I was to give the races "points" based on what you guys have said so far (5 for number 1, 4 for number 2, etc) we would have...

1. 39 Points - Human
  2. 35 Points - Sylvari & Charr
  3. 33 Points - Asura
  4. 32 Points - Norn
Wow - looks like Anet have done a fantastic job of providing diversity enough for each person to find their own AND for many of us to be also interested in the others.

Note: For ties, I've knocked the points down as many levels there are on the spot - for example, first would usually get 5 points but 2 tied for first would each get 4 points and three tied for first would each get 3 points.

That just goes how to show how most people are boring and pick humans :P

#26 Edited by Curious_George (142 posts) -

Most MMO humans are boring idealized humans at that. If more games let you have greater creative freedom to design a variety of human characters I'd probably be much more enthused about making them (if I want to create a human that resembles Hans Moleman let me do it!)

#27 Edited by makari (594 posts) -

1: Quaggan

2: Quaggan

3: Quaggan

4: Quaggan

5: Quaggan

Foo to anyone who thinks otherwise. Foo Quaggan say!

On point, 1: Asura, 2: Charr, 3: Human, 4: Sylvari, 5: Norn

#28 Posted by Shaedana (6 posts) -

Shroom-Sylvari>Sylvari=Asura>Human>Charr>Norn. Sylvari are coolest looking, Asura have best personality, humans are the okay middle ground, Charr look stupid in cloth-armor and Norn are bland and too big. All the cities are amazing, though I dislike snow so Hoelbrak is my least favorite so far.

#29 Posted by Giefcookie (580 posts) -
  • Sylvari
  • Norn
  • Asura
  • Human
  • Charr

I've tried all of the races so far in the betas and in terms of personal story/atmosphere the Charr were just so far behind the others for me. While the conflicts between different splinters of the military are interesting, an entire race based on strength, honor in battle and war just doesn't appeal to me.

When it comes to humans I tend to stay away from them in fantasy. I like the religion aspect but in terms of looks, voice acting and animations the race is too bland.

I wasnt really interested in the Asura before I watched the Gamespot Now Playing. Playing a smaller cutesy character (though after seeing the character creation I have to say WTF IS UP WITH THE TEETH AND FREAKY ASS EYES?!) is not my thing in MMOs, but the tone of the areas and the voice acting (not a fan of Felicia day but she seems to do a fine job here) convinced me that there might be something to these little rat-like bastards after all.

The Norn resonate with me more than the humans most likely just because their home turf looks a lot like my home turf (though I dont think anyone in Finland has ever used the word "turf" to refer to their area). Also I might have a slight fetish for freakishly big women.

I've known my main would be a Female Sylvari Thief for a while now. I like their twist on the natury elf-race and I enjoy the idea of playing a curious naive character on my first playthrough. Finding out more about their lore and back story is one of the things I look forward to the most come release.

When it comes to restricting myself from doing / seeing something in the last beta, I'm still thinking about it. It largely depends on whether or not they do a character wipe and how much higher level stuff they unlock. Whatever happens I'll try to avoid most of the Sylvari stuff. I'll go through the character creator, decide on a name for my pretty cabbage lady and do the intro. Then I'll probably hop back to my norn thief for the rest of the weekend. There isnt really anything beyond that I'm trying to keep for release.

#30 Posted by NayofTheEther (14 posts) -
  • What are your favourite races right now? (and which is your current pick?)- My favorite race is definitely:

1. Charr, I always wanted to play as one in GW1.

Next would be almost a tie between the 2. & 3.Asuran and Silvari, they both intrigue me and I want to know more about their backgrounds than we've been told so far

4. Norn, I like em good enough, but sometimes they just annoy me.

5. Humans have been played into the ground...can't stand em lol.

• Why? I freaking hate humans, they're too squishy and make a huge mess when you stomp on them. The Charr are a militant race that, if you dig down to the core of their society, there's far more loyalty and honor than you would first notice. Yes there are backstabs and throat cutting, but they probably deserved it anyway. The Charr know that the world is a brutal place and everyone will only take it all away, no one is gonna hand them a good life, so they take the initiative and beat life stupid and drag it home with them haha.
  • What is your favourite racial city / starter area right now? Charr for sure. Then althoguh I hate to admit it, I love the human area too. The city and countryside are pretty amazing.
  • Will you be trying out Sylvari and Asura? definitely
  • Are you saving anything for release? Which race? Will that be your main? I hope to be able to test them all at least some before release. My main will of course be a charr
#31 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3128 posts) -
@NayofTheEther: This guy gets it. FOR THE LEGION!
#32 Edited by NayofTheEther (14 posts) -

@Giefcookie said:

I wasnt really interested in the Asura before I watched the Gamespot Now Playing. Playing a smaller cutesy character (though after seeing the character creation I have to say WTF IS UP WITH THE TEETH AND FREAKY ASS EYES?!)

Ever see the original concept art? Now THAT is freaky lol. hmm..tried making a link, but wasn't working so just go to the GW2 website, look under races >> Asura >> Asura Character Design (it's a link near the bottom of the page right before the last video)

#33 Posted by shinboy630 (1130 posts) -

@Tarkhein: I just got around to watching that now, was pleasantly surprised by the appearance of the Ogden's Hammer Guy from LA, aka the best NPC in the whole game.

#34 Edited by Dark_Lord_Spam (3128 posts) -
@shinboy630: The man knows what he wants, and what he wants is savings.
#35 Posted by RobbieMac (534 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam: lameeeeeeeeee

#36 Posted by project343 (2809 posts) -
  • Favourite: Asura, Sylvari
  • Why? Asura - I always play small races and they have loads of personality; Sylvari - they are so unique looking and their lore seems like it could yield some super interesting personal story quests.
  • Favourite city: Lion's Arch (closely followed by Divinity's Reach)
  • Favourite starting area: human--I love the cheery pastel colours and really enjoyed their meta-events
  • Will I be playing the Asura and Sylvari this beta? Duh. So much duh. The personal story spoilers don't bug me, and I've been dying to get my hands on them. I'm pretty sure I'll be spending at least 2 hours drooling over Rata Sum this BWE. Judging by the trailers and whatnot, I suspect that Rata Sum will be my favourite city after I've seen it in person.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.