Shut up and take my money! Did you pre-purchase Guild Wars 2?

• 90 results
#1 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

#2 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Just found a 'pre-purchase' box on my local e-retailers website and I hence proceeded to PRE-PURCHASE said item. Looking forward to its arrival on the 10th/11th of April and all the upcoming preview weekends. The 200$ collector's edition pre-purchase box was already sold out.

Pre-purchase. Think about it! Is that like 'kick-starting' a videogame? I sure am a sucker for videogames - dammit.

#3 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

After L.A. Noire stealing my hard earned money in exchange for a piece of shit on a blu ray, I'm never pre-ordering a game again unless I know for a fact that I'm gonna enjoy it, such as Battlefield 3. 
Hell I'm even gonna wait on reviews for Max Payne 3, as well as some real-time walkthrough videos, to make sure it's a proper sequel.

#4 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -

Maybe, after I finish both Witcher games, finish all of my essays, my finals, and get my iPad.

Until then, definitely not. I'm a busy man.

#5 Posted by Welding (150 posts) -

Yep.

Loving everything they've shown so far, and I will eat up whatever beta scraps they can throw at me before I can dig into the actual game, too!

#6 Posted by Aronman789 (2673 posts) -

I thought the Pre-Purchase didn't start till April 10

#7 Posted by konig_kei (705 posts) -

That's fucken soon.

#8 Edited by UssjTrunks (533 posts) -

@Aronman789 said:

I thought the Pre-Purchase didn't start till April 10

I'll wait to get it directly from NCsoft. Does pre-purchasing from retailers also give you the 3-day headstart or is it only 1-day?

Anyway, I will 100% be pre-purchasing the standard edition as soon as it becomes available on the official site. I've seen enough of this game to know that it will be amazing.

#9 Edited by Aronman789 (2673 posts) -

@Seppli: The site says pre-purchase starts April 10th, so I have a feeling you may have pre-ordered, which I believe doesn't give you any of the cool bonuses, if I'm remembering right.

#10 Posted by Mesklinite (821 posts) -

It's not on steam? I'll wait.

#11 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

I picked A, even though I have to wait until April 10th.

But I'm clicking the shit out of that buy button on that day. Believe me, I am.

#12 Posted by shinboy630 (1243 posts) -

@isnipeyoudie said:

#13 Posted by shinboy630 (1243 posts) -

Also, I was reading up on the pre-purchase FAQ and they mentioned that the regular and digital deluxe editions would be available through NCSoft, and that certain retailers would have the CE for pre-purchase. As someone who is very much interested in getting the CE, anyone know who these "certain retailers" might be?

From the FAQ:

Customers will be able to pre-purchase the Guild Wars 2 Digital Edition and the Guild Wars 2 Digital Deluxe Edition directly from NCsoft. In addition to the digital products, certain retailers will also be offering physical Pre-Purchase of the Guild Wars 2 Standard Edition and the Guild Wars 2 Collector's Edition.

#14 Posted by Subjugation (4763 posts) -

@isnipeyoudie said:

But I'm clicking the shit out of that buy button on that day. Believe me, I am.

Basically this. I'm going straight through NCsoft just to be safe.

#15 Posted by potatomash3r (126 posts) -

No.
Despite my enormous amount of excitement for this game, a real release date has yet to be announced.
I rather buy games that are coming out soon rather than waiting x number of months.

#16 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2635 posts) -

Like others, I haven't joined the poll because I'm waiting for the 10th. I assume the response is mainly in the positive? : )

#17 Posted by Fattony12000 (7679 posts) -
#18 Posted by Dunchad (521 posts) -

Since you get access to the upcoming betas as well as the headstart - I think it's worth a pre-purchase.

#19 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

@Dunchad: I don't have anything to play right now so beta access does sound tempting actually. Too bad 10 April is five million years away in nerd-time.

#20 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

@Fattony12000: I went here (https://buy.guildwars2.com/) and got a page identical to the one you posted except with regards to prices:

Digital Edition: 59.99 USD -> up 10 usd

Digital Deluxe Edition: 79.99 USD -> up 15 usd

#21 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

@Aronman789 said:

@Seppli: The site says pre-purchase starts April 10th, so I have a feeling you may have pre-ordered, which I believe doesn't give you any of the cool bonuses, if I'm remembering right.

Some select retailers, at least here in Europe, get to sell physical 'Pre-Purchase Boxes'. Essentially a code-in-a-box for the full game, beta-access to all the events, and a 3-day headstart for the full release. Just like the digital versions do. It's going to be sent out on the 10th of April. And yes - I pre-ordered the pre-purchase.

#22 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

@Seppli: Good for you. What price did you get it at?

#23 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3636 posts) -
@Seppli said:

@Aronman789 said:

Some select retailers, at least here in Europe, get to sell physical 'Pre-Purchase Boxes'. Essentially a code-in-a-box for the full game, beta-access to all the events, and a 3-day headstart for the full release. Just like the digital versions do. It's going to be sent out on the 10th of April. And yes - I pre-ordered the pre-purchase.

Since that sounds exactly like what the physical pre-purchase packages are meant to be, it seems as though someone broke the street date. All the better for you, I guess. :P
#24 Posted by kindpixel (2869 posts) -

I thought about it, then a friend of mine rekindled my love for SWTOR so I don't have the urge to anymore. I know I'll be getting it around launch, but it's not longer a must.

#25 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I'll pre-purchase as soon as I can, but I'm waiting to see what other retailers are doing first. I definitely want the beta access and headstart, but it's £50 directly from Anet, which I'd usually think twice about spending for a collectors edition, let alone the regular game.

#26 Posted by wemibelec90 (1938 posts) -

As unoriginal as it would be, I really hope they have changed the controls to match more modern MMO's. I HATED the the controls in the original Guild Wars and it prevented me from ever giving it a fair chance, no matter how dumb that sounds.

Everything sounds good but I want to actually get my hands on it before I put any money down on it.

#27 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

@Seppli: Good for you. What price did you get it at?

69 CHF (Swiss Francs). About 70$.

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@Seppli said:

@Aronman789 said:

Since that sounds exactly like what the physical pre-purchase packages are meant to be, it seems as though someone broke the street date. All the better for you, I guess. :P

Nah - I just pre-ordered the pre-purchase. It'll be sent out on the 10th of April. It's all on the up-and-up.

#28 Posted by UssjTrunks (533 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

@Fattony12000: I went here (https://buy.guildwars2.com/) and got a page identical to the one you posted except with regards to prices:

IIRC they were always $60 and $80.

The $60 for the digitial edition seems fine, that's how much most new games sell for anyway. If a retailer offers it for $50 I won't hesitate to get it from there though, lol.

#29 Posted by d00dCOMEON (24 posts) -

this game looks horrible, its got all sorts of nickel and dime schemes going for it, pay 2 win cash shop , instead of money fees. and the fact they are trying to develop for consoles in mind, just makes it so much worse

#30 Posted by Fattony12000 (7679 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

I have not posted any prices in dollars, take another look at the image.

#31 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

@Fattony12000: fff... My mistake!

#32 Posted by Toms115 (2317 posts) -

no, but i really want this game.

#33 Posted by UssjTrunks (533 posts) -

@d00dCOMEON said:

this game looks horrible, its got all sorts of nickel and dime schemes going for it, pay 2 win cash shop , instead of money fees. and the fact they are trying to develop for consoles in mind, just makes it so much worse

Thanks for that insightful input.

#34 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7199 posts) -

Not yet, I'm going to get the collectors edition though.

#35 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3636 posts) -
@UssjTrunks said:

@d00dCOMEON said:

Thanks for that insightful input.

Maybe it's just the cynic in me, but I have a hard time believing he's as sincere an idiot as he's fronting.
#36 Posted by Gargantuan (1887 posts) -

I only pre-purchase on Steam nowadays (I think the last game I pre-purchased in a store was TES IV: Oblivion) so I haven't yet. Will GW 2 come out on Steam?

#37 Edited by UssjTrunks (533 posts) -
#38 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -

I am certainly going to pre-purchase the CE when the tenth comes, but not until then.

#39 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3636 posts) -
#40 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -

I didn't pre-purchase because I never pre-purchase, but I will be getting this game day one

#41 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

Nah, I don't have time for an MMO.

#42 Posted by SPeedy26 (38 posts) -

yeah just got my $150 ready for that April 10 pre-pay

this is my first Collectors addition btw :p the book sold me on it

#43 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1587 posts) -

I really want to get the Collector's Edition and I never like getting Collector's Editions that come with statues. But, my god, the Charr. I'm going to be down $150 come April.

#44 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I was so ready to pay whatever they wanted for the CE, but I was very disappointed when they revealed it. The art book looks great, but I'm not a fan of big videogame statues, and that seems to be the only thing making the price so far. The ingame bonus items are pretty irrelevant too, nothing like the one the original game came with and they're almost all consumable, one use only items. Considering the developers themselves created a discussion thread on Guru asking everyone what they'd like to see in a CE.. I'm pretty surprised they completely disregarded everything.

The Diablo 3 CE is half the price and far more appealing to me.

#45 Posted by Onineko (10 posts) -

Well, I gonna wait 5 more days to purchase CE ^^

#46 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

I'm hoping they include Amazon on the pre-purchase thing, I'm sitting on enough credit to grab the digital deluxe version.

#47 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

wheres mah steam pre-order :/

#48 Posted by Bollard (6042 posts) -

I'mma pre-purchase from Amazon or Play. Probably Play.com cause I always get fucked by Amazon's delivery. I would get from NCSoft but I cba with the download for the full game, but I want in on the Beta weekends and headstart. So disc is the obvious choice for me.

#49 Posted by Onineko (10 posts) -

@Rhaknar

steam pre-order O.o I never heard that ncsoft or arena net is working with steam, is it? Well, GW2 gonna have their own achievements sistem that will not depend on steam (so i hope it will appear ot GiantBomb just like WoW).

#50 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

wheres mah steam pre-order :/

It probably will appear on Steam for the release date, but you definitely won't be able to pre-purchase to get the bonuses from there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.