Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

So slow

ApeGantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ApeGantz

Today I purchased GW2 and Torchlight 2. If GW2 is 25+ Gigs, is there some way that I can download at least the game files? I have crappy DSL but it's never been this slow.

I know it's probably stupid but is there like a official torrent or peer-to-peer server I could use to get these files faster? I've searched the usual sites but I honestly don't trust them. Any help would be useful.

Chevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Chevy

The client is a little over 14 gigs with a digital download. I know they say it requires 25+ or so, but I think that might just be for file swapping.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

The physical copy can install the majority of the game files from disc, but it sounds like you got digital, so I'm not sure there's a similarly easy solution.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By TheHT

Sorry duder, I'm pretty sure your options are either the official downloader or the official disc.

ApeGantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ApeGantz

Well fudge it. I'm up to 54% finished (9.5 GB) Hopefully when I get in from work, this will be close to done but i doubt it.

OhHiMk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OhHiMk

It will be worth it when it's all said and done.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jesterroyal

I'm on dsl as well and it just took a while. I think the throttling is on the GW side. It took quite a few hours. I'd say just sleep on it and get it good on sunday morning.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Subjugation

Don't worry, the game will still be there for the few hundred weekends from now even if it isn't done for this one.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By metalmoog

I feel your pain man. The game took painfully long to download and install via digital download but oh boy is it ever worth it! This game rocked my socks and it's now on my mind 24/7. I love everything about it. Dammit, thought I was done with MMO's for good! ;)

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By CatsAkimbo

Too bad it's not like Guild Wars 1 where you download a tiny install file and stream assets you need as you play it.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By project343

@CatsAkimbo: See, I actually found that to be terribly disruptive to my experience in the early game. Maybe I had some sort of firewall issue going on, but I'd frequently have 5-10 minute load times for new maps. (My typical download speed is 3.1MB/S--so that isn't the issue).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.