Some of these bans seem a little shady to me.

  • 164 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
#1 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxb-anRWHrA&feature;=g-all-u

This guy for example, got banned for buying cooking ingredients with Karma, then using the ingredients to make stuff, then vendoring the stuff. I don't see how that is an exploit and a bannable offense.

#2 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

There's always two sides to every story. I'm sure if we heard Arenanet's side we'd see this guy was exploiting some way, or being rude/offensive. I'm sure at some point during the development, Anet realised people may buy things with karma and sell for gold and balanced accordingly.

#3 Posted by korkesh (133 posts) -

I try to never take those things at face value, like SamStrife said there are two sides to every story and I'm sure Anet isn't going out of their way just to ban people for doing something like this. They have even said that their main concern atm is dealing with bots, and even those are only temporarily getting 3 day bans (only in some cases, some are still getting permabanned) as they try to sort launch bugs out first.

#4 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@SamStrife

There's always two sides to every story. I'm sure if we heard Arenanet's side we'd see this guy was exploiting some way, or being rude/offensive. I'm sure at some point during the development, Anet realised people may buy things with karma and sell for gold and balanced accordingly.

@korkesh

I try to never take those things at face value, like SamStrife said there are two sides to every story and I'm sure Anet isn't going out of their way just to ban people for doing something like this. They have even said that their main concern atm is dealing with bots, and even those are only temporarily getting 3 day bans (only in some cases, some are still getting permabanned) as they try to sort launch bugs out first.

The ban happened on live stream with 1000+ people watching. He got banned for doing what was said.
#5 Posted by Demoskinos (15275 posts) -

So, he found a legit way to convert currencies using IN GAME systems and they banned him? That seems like a fucking joke. Seriously.

#6 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1312 posts) -

I am sure Arena net is trying really hard to control the economy since their whole business model revolves around buying gems, but you can also trade in-game gold for gems. If this was something that they didn't want players to do but didn't catch it before release, I can see why it happened.

#7 Edited by UssjTrunks (533 posts) -

Anet has been really anal so far.

Check out some of these bans from guru:

As some of you may know, earlier today there was a bug that allowed players to buy Level 60 weapons from a vendor for 21 Karma.

I saw the cheap weapons and thought guess I might aswell spend all my Karma then lol.

Few hours later, permanent ban.

and

I doubt you can get an appeal for that. I am also currently "permabanned" because supposedly I "assisted in selling in game gold for real world currency." or some crap like that. When in fact, me and some people made fun of this guy spamming it in map chat. I've contacted ArenaNet and hopefully they will actually do some research instead of just banning people without looking into the matter.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/57556-permanently-banned/

Permanent banning people for exploiting an in-game glitch is beyond anal. It's textbook entrapment. It's Anet's job to fix glitches, not ban people for taking advantage of them. Take away the items that were obtained through the glitch, don't ban the player.

I've really become disappointed with how they have been treating their customers, most of which bought this game back in April to show their support for the company. I really hope this attitude changes. Just because your customers don't pay a sub doesn't mean that you can treat them like shit.

This isn't even mentioning all the temprorary bans for names/language.

#8 Posted by SugarRay (79 posts) -

Kripparrian's banned has been upgraded to a perma-ban. While I agree in an earlier post here where you really don't know what happens when a player says he was unfairly banned/suspended/whatever, this occurred live and what he described in the video is how it went down.

Kripparrian seems to have a target on him as he is livestreaming to thousands so any "taking advantage of a system" does not look good. It happened in D3 as well, where even he was at 30k viewers for HC Diablo a Blizzard CM on twitter basically downplayed the kill because a week earlier Kripp and his buddies were spreading rumors around of duping.

Obviously, ANet isn't messing around and people just have to adjust I guess.

#9 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:

Anet has been really anal so far.

Check out some of these bans from guru:

As some of you may know, earlier today there was a bug that allowed players to buy Level 60 weapons from a vendor for 21 Karma.

I saw the cheap weapons and thought guess I might aswell spend all my Karma then lol.

Few hours later, permanent ban.

and

I doubt you can get an appeal for that. I am also currently "permabanned" because supposedly I "assisted in selling in game gold for real world currency." or some crap like that. When in fact, me and some people made fun of this guy spamming it in map chat. I've contacted ArenaNet and hopefully they will actually do some research instead of just banning people without looking into the matter.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/57556-permanently-banned/

Permanent banning people for exploiting an in-game glitch is beyond anal. It's textbook entrapment. It's Anet's job to fix glitches, not ban people for taking advantage of them. Take away the items that were obtained through the glitch, don't ban the player.

I've really become disappointed with how they have been treating their customers, most of which bought this game back in April to show their support for the company. I really hope this attitude changes. Just because your customers don't pay a sub doesn't mean that you can treat them like shit.

This isn't even mentioning all the temprorary bans for names/language.

Yeah, they've perma-banned over 3000 people for buying cultural weapons that they accidentally made cheaper than they should have been. They're going ban happy.

#10 Posted by UssjTrunks (533 posts) -

: I've never seen this in a video game before. I've heard of people getting banned for hacking, or being racist, or gold farming. But this is a whole new level.

#11 Posted by EmuLeader (558 posts) -

I don't understand why they permanently ban someone for buying something that was accidentally lowered in price. If there is a problem, then post a message that it exists and all items bought this way will be taken away, until a patch can be put out. Permanent ban for a misunderstanding when someone paied $50 to buy your game is stupid if it is due to a mistake on the developer's end.

#12 Posted by Marz (5676 posts) -

yeah, I wouldn't say Kripparian is at fault for something that Arenanet overlooked. Arenanet should just fix the problem instead of going ban crazy.

#13 Edited by Zithe (1040 posts) -

I can't even imagine how pissed I would be if they closed my account over something like that. Honestly kind of sours my opinion of the game itself, knowing that I'm supporting that kind of shit by playing it and suggesting it to others. They'd better learn how to handle this if they don't want the players to turn on them.

Edit: Well, at least the guy in OP's post only got suspended and not banned completely.

#14 Posted by SugarRay (79 posts) -

Players from WoW have been suspended for exploiting raid content, among others, in original vanilla Naxx if you killed Heigan during the dance phase on the platform, you could loot him and he would respawn.

On the flip side for Kripp, he knew this wasn't "working as intended" and should've known better than participating. I personally do not agree with a permaban, but ideally if you have an influence, experience of other MMOs (and their policies) he probably should've told the people who was telling him about it to stop it and tried to get in contact with someone about this problem.

It really sucks for those that are coming into this game fresh, don't know the back history of MMO polices, don't go on reddit, forums or whatever and come across this situation in game. Seems simple enough, buy something for cheap, vendor it for a profit. Why not continue to do it?

#15 Posted by Garfield518 (402 posts) -

Arena Net doesn't give a fuck about people who try to skirt the system; they already have your money - if you're an asshole, you're going to get shut out.

It was the same in Guild Wars 1, and I don't see them changing their attitude in the near future.

#16 Posted by Xeirus (1407 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/57556-permanently-banned/

Permanent banning people for exploiting an in-game glitch is beyond anal. It's textbook entrapment.

You have no idea what entrapment means.

Also, maybe try to not exploit the system *GASP*

It's Arenanet's duty to fix things just as much as it is people responsibility to keep the game on a leveled playing field. Douche bags get weeded out, that's ok with me. Using the excuse "I didn't know cheating was wrong" is fucking pathetic. People need to man up and take their punishment.

#17 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1312 posts) -

There were a few posts on reddit from anet support. People who were permabanned bought 100s or 1000s of the weapons.

#18 Posted by Subjugation (4753 posts) -

I haven't seen once instance yet where there hasn't been more to the story than the player is letting on. The recent reddit thread about name bans was a perfect example. People were being exposed left and right for doing some truly foolish stuff. My advice is to play the game as it was intended and don't exploit.

#19 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@Garfield518 said:

Arena Net doesn't give a fuck about people who try to skirt the system; they already have your money - if you're an asshole, you're going to get shut out.

It was the same in Guild Wars 1, and I don't see them changing their attitude in the near future.

Yeah, he's the asshole in this situation.

#20 Edited by emem (1975 posts) -
@Xeirus said: 

It's Arenanet's duty to fix things just as much as it is people responsibility to keep the game on a leveled playing field. Douche bags get weeded out, that's ok with me. Using the excuse "I didn't know cheating was wrong" is fucking pathetic. People need to man up and take their punishment.

I don't think buying something for karma and selling it for gold counts as cheating. It's ArenaNet's fault for making those items that cheap... I mean, how were people even supposed to know that? I know that ignorance is no excuse in law, but come one... that's just stupid/wrong (it's just a game).
#21 Edited by Xeirus (1407 posts) -

@emem said:

@Xeirus said:

It's Arenanet's duty to fix things just as much as it is people responsibility to keep the game on a leveled playing field. Douche bags get weeded out, that's ok with me. Using the excuse "I didn't know cheating was wrong" is fucking pathetic. People need to man up and take their punishment.

I don't think buying something for karma and selling it for gold counts as cheating. It's ArenaNet's fault for making those items that cheap... I mean, how were people even supposed to know that? I know that ignorance is no excuse in law, but come one... that's just stupid/wrong (it's just a game).

You know you had to have bought hundreds to THOUSANDS of those items to be banned right?

But how were people suppose to know? haha, yeah right man, ignorance is not an excuse in this situation. They have flat out stated they did not ban people who bought less than 100 or so, sounds fair to me.

Edit: Yes it is "just a game", but it's ArenaNets game, they can run it however they want. If people don't like it they won't play it. I will say, I am loving the drama.

#22 Posted by Jeffsekai (7058 posts) -

WHO THE FUCK CARES

#23 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Xeirus

@emem said:

@Xeirus said:

It's Arenanet's duty to fix things just as much as it is people responsibility to keep the game on a leveled playing field. Douche bags get weeded out, that's ok with me. Using the excuse "I didn't know cheating was wrong" is fucking pathetic. People need to man up and take their punishment.

I don't think buying something for karma and selling it for gold counts as cheating. It's ArenaNet's fault for making those items that cheap... I mean, how were people even supposed to know that? I know that ignorance is no excuse in law, but come one... that's just stupid/wrong (it's just a game).

You know you had to have bought hundreds to THOUSANDS of those items to be banned right?

But how were people suppose to know? haha, yeah right man, ignorance is not an excuse in this situation. They have flat out stated they did not ban people who bought less than 100 or so, sounds fair to me.

Edit: Yes it is "just a game", but it's ArenaNets game, they can run it however they want. If people don't like it they won't play it. I will say, I am loving the drama.

The guy that got banned here bought cooking materials with Karma, made stuff and sold the stuff he made, then got permabanned for it, I honestly can't believe there are people defending this shit.
#24 Posted by CornBREDX (6243 posts) -

So far every ban story I've seen is deserved. I wont watch one side of the story, there's always another side they wont tell you.

#25 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Jeffsekai

WHO THE FUCK CARES

The people that got permabanned and lost 60+ dollars because ArenaNet made a mistake?
#26 Edited by emem (1975 posts) -
@CL60 said:

@Xeirus

@emem said:

@Xeirus said:

It's Arenanet's duty to fix things just as much as it is people responsibility to keep the game on a leveled playing field. Douche bags get weeded out, that's ok with me. Using the excuse "I didn't know cheating was wrong" is fucking pathetic. People need to man up and take their punishment.

I don't think buying something for karma and selling it for gold counts as cheating. It's ArenaNet's fault for making those items that cheap... I mean, how were people even supposed to know that? I know that ignorance is no excuse in law, but come one... that's just stupid/wrong (it's just a game).

You know you had to have bought hundreds to THOUSANDS of those items to be banned right?

But how were people suppose to know? haha, yeah right man, ignorance is not an excuse in this situation. They have flat out stated they did not ban people who bought less than 100 or so, sounds fair to me.

Edit: Yes it is "just a game", but it's ArenaNets game, they can run it however they want. If people don't like it they won't play it. I will say, I am loving the drama.

The guy that got banned here bought cooking materials with Karma, made stuff and sold the stuff he made, then got permabanned for it, I honestly can't believe there are people defending this shit.
Yup, watch this video @Xeirus:     
#27 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@emem
@CL60 said:

@Xeirus

@emem said:

@Xeirus said:

It's Arenanet's duty to fix things just as much as it is people responsibility to keep the game on a leveled playing field. Douche bags get weeded out, that's ok with me. Using the excuse "I didn't know cheating was wrong" is fucking pathetic. People need to man up and take their punishment.

I don't think buying something for karma and selling it for gold counts as cheating. It's ArenaNet's fault for making those items that cheap... I mean, how were people even supposed to know that? I know that ignorance is no excuse in law, but come one... that's just stupid/wrong (it's just a game).

You know you had to have bought hundreds to THOUSANDS of those items to be banned right?

But how were people suppose to know? haha, yeah right man, ignorance is not an excuse in this situation. They have flat out stated they did not ban people who bought less than 100 or so, sounds fair to me.

Edit: Yes it is "just a game", but it's ArenaNets game, they can run it however they want. If people don't like it they won't play it. I will say, I am loving the drama.

The guy that got banned here bought cooking materials with Karma, made stuff and sold the stuff he made, then got permabanned for it, I honestly can't believe there are people defending this shit.
Yup, watch this video @Xeirus:     
Just a note, it says temp banned, but they changed it to a permaban later.
#28 Edited by Questionable (619 posts) -

It may have been a mistake on Annet to make those vendor items profitable once cooked and they would never ban anyone just for using it within normal reasons.

The problem starts when people start excessivly repeating the same trick where it becomes obvious that they are just exploiting the system for gold. That recipe is in the game for a reason, increase your cooking skill or as cheap health refill and move on leke a sane person.

Its like finding a vendor machine that gives out items for 10 cents instead of 1.10$. Do you launder every item in supply or report the error and move on? Kripp chose the first option and he rightfully got burned for it. Tough a perma ban is excessive to say the least.

#29 Edited by emem (1975 posts) -
@CL60 said: 

Just a note, it says temp banned, but they changed it to a permaban later.

Yep, and they posted it on reddit instead of contacting him directly which is really weird. I personally don't have anything to do with it, but it's actually really interesting to listen to all the drama. 
 
@Questionable said: 

Its like finding a vendor machine that gives out items for 10 cents instead of 1.10$. Do you launder every item in supply or report the error and move on? 

Where is that vending machine again? ;)) Just kidding hehe.
#30 Posted by Xeirus (1407 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@emem
@CL60 said:

@Xeirus

@emem said:

@Xeirus said:

It's Arenanet's duty to fix things just as much as it is people responsibility to keep the game on a leveled playing field. Douche bags get weeded out, that's ok with me. Using the excuse "I didn't know cheating was wrong" is fucking pathetic. People need to man up and take their punishment.

I don't think buying something for karma and selling it for gold counts as cheating. It's ArenaNet's fault for making those items that cheap... I mean, how were people even supposed to know that? I know that ignorance is no excuse in law, but come one... that's just stupid/wrong (it's just a game).

You know you had to have bought hundreds to THOUSANDS of those items to be banned right?

But how were people suppose to know? haha, yeah right man, ignorance is not an excuse in this situation. They have flat out stated they did not ban people who bought less than 100 or so, sounds fair to me.

Edit: Yes it is "just a game", but it's ArenaNets game, they can run it however they want. If people don't like it they won't play it. I will say, I am loving the drama.

The guy that got banned here bought cooking materials with Karma, made stuff and sold the stuff he made, then got permabanned for it, I honestly can't believe there are people defending this shit.
Yup, watch this video @Xeirus:
Just a note, it says temp banned, but they changed it to a permaban later.

ok.... all that video shows is that he exploited and got a temp ban.... THEN he told everyone he told people to spam their twitter and got permabanned.

You guys seriously don't see the stupidity in this? Come on, use some common sense.

#31 Posted by MrCandleguy (812 posts) -

@Xeirus said:

@UssjTrunks said:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/57556-permanently-banned/

Permanent banning people for exploiting an in-game glitch is beyond anal. It's textbook entrapment.

You have no idea what entrapment means.

Also, maybe try to not exploit the system *GASP*

It's Arenanet's duty to fix things just as much as it is people responsibility to keep the game on a leveled playing field. Douche bags get weeded out, that's ok with me. Using the excuse "I didn't know cheating was wrong" is fucking pathetic. People need to man up and take their punishment.

couldn't agree more.

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (15275 posts) -

@Questionable: In your real world scenario it would be easy to identify the problem because if you saw a vending machine letting you buy snickers bars for 10 cents most people would have the context to know "Hey, that isn't right" This game is just days old and the economy in MMO games changes and fluxuates with time. For most people that context that this was a mistake on Annet's part wouldn't be that glaringly apparent. They SHOULDN'T have banned people what they should have done is emergency rushed a patch to fix the problem and possibly null anything that was duped in peoples inventory.

Considering something like this an exploit when you are clearly just using in game systems and not modifying the game code is REALLY dumb.

#33 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Xeirus Where the hell is the exploit?
#34 Posted by Xeirus (1407 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Xeirus Where the hell is the exploit?

Did you watch the video?

exactly 10 minutes in another guy says "you only made like 8 gold"... maybe you haven't played the game, but 8 gold is a fucking TON of money to make, ESPECIALLY in one day. You trying to justify his bullshit is seriously starting to wear thin, so I'm going to stop this conversation before an argument starts.

#35 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1312 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Jeffsekai

WHO THE FUCK CARES

The people that got permabanned and lost 60+ dollars because ArenaNet made a mistake?

Leaving my car window open doesn't give you the right to steal my radio because I made a mistake.

#36 Edited by Questionable (619 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

For most people that context that this was a mistake on Annet's part wouldn't be that glaringly apparent. - Considering something like this an exploit when you are clearly just using in game systems and not modifying the game code is REALLY dumb.

And what happens when someone employs these game mechanics for a period of non stop vendor/selling for two hours straight. It is painfully obvious when someone is using a mechanic for normal progression or is just farming the hell out of a exploit by repeating a 7 seconds transaction 200x in a row.

I agree with you on the sentiment that Annet's sence of "Justice" is way too harsh to be excusable for any self respecting consumer but people acting like kripp is a innocent little angel while he has made it his livelyhood to exploit game mechanics with brutal efficiency and abusing any exploit he can to gain a personal advantage over the community. (not omitting his gaming skills but he is the type to roll up a shopping cart and raid that vendor machine to the last item and repeat the offense as soon as its refilled until someone else either corrects the issue and in Annets case punishes him)

Please excuse me if my story comes across as a bit confusing, i am a tad sleep deprived

#37 Posted by QuantumPilot (86 posts) -

I was thinking of picking up a copy of GW2, but now I fear I'll make a mistake, and loss access to a game I paid good money for. For now I have decided not to pick up the game. Maybe if things settle down I'll pick it up, but I just don't want to waste 60 dollars on a game. Be nice if they refunded the money to people they permabanned.

#38 Edited by Xeirus (1407 posts) -

@Cataphract1014 said:

@CL60 said:

@Jeffsekai

WHO THE FUCK CARES

The people that got permabanned and lost 60+ dollars because ArenaNet made a mistake?

Leaving my car window open doesn't give you the right to steal my radio because I made a mistake.

That's hilarious, I had not thought of it that way :D

@QuantumPilot said:

I was thinking of picking up a copy of GW2, but now I fear I'll make a mistake, and loss access to a game I paid good money for. For now I have decided not to pick up the game. Maybe if things settle down I'll pick it up, but I just don't want to waste 60 dollars on a game. Be nice if they refunded the money to people they permabanned.

If you bother to read any of the actual story, and not CL60's propaganda, you will know there is nothing to worry about. Buy it if you want it.

#39 Edited by emem (1975 posts) -
@Questionable said: 

And what happens when someone employs these game mechanics for a period of non stop vendor/selling for two hours straight. 

 If I'm not mistaken that's not possible, because you have (or had) to collect karma to buy those items. Or was there another way to do it?

@Xeirus: Well, all I heard from some other people was that they bought like 10 weapons and got banned. When someone really bought hundreds or thousands of items I think you could definitely be right, but not for a hand full... and people were not able to buy an unlimited amount of those items either, because gathering karma takes time (I don't know how expensive/cheap they were, though). 
 
I don't condone cheating and I agree that people who willingly exploit something to get an advantage in a multiplayer game should be punished, but basically taking away 60 bucks for something like that without a warning... I don't know if that's the way to do it, just take away their stuff.
#40 Posted by Xeirus (1407 posts) -

@emem: Hey man, I agree, I think it's harsh. But seriously, if you bought thousands of an item you KNOW what you're doing is wrong. I don't have sympathy for the people who are only mad because they got caught.

#41 Posted by Mcfart (1742 posts) -

@Cataphract1014 said:

@CL60 said:

@Jeffsekai

WHO THE FUCK CARES

The people that got permabanned and lost 60+ dollars because ArenaNet made a mistake?

Leaving my car window open doesn't give you the right to steal my radio because I made a mistake.

Tterrible comparison, since nothing physical, or actually, nothing at all is being stolen. More like, if you sold your radio to someone for $5, then later called the police saying they stole your radio.

#42 Edited by QuantumPilot (86 posts) -

@Xeirus: It wasn't just this story. I've read many stories about GW2's banning habits. Maybe most of them were rightfully banned. I just don't want to risk the money at this point; especially, when I can buy another game that I wouldn't run such a risk. I would prefer them to fix the game rather then punish users. Even if those users are knowingly trying to brake the game.

#43 Edited by Xeirus (1407 posts) -

@Mcfart said:

@Cataphract1014 said:

@CL60 said:

@Jeffsekai

WHO THE FUCK CARES

The people that got permabanned and lost 60+ dollars because ArenaNet made a mistake?

Leaving my car window open doesn't give you the right to steal my radio because I made a mistake.

Tterrible comparison, since nothing physical, or actually, nothing at all is being stolen. More like, if you sold your radio to someone for $5, then later called the police saying they stole your radio.

That doesn't even make sense... stop using metaphors, you are bad at it.

@QuantumPilot said:

@Xeirus: It wasn't just this story. I've read many stories about GW2's banning habits. Maybe most of them were rightfully banned. I just don't want to risk the money at this point; especially, when I can buy another game that I wouldn't run such a risk. I would prefer them to fix the game rather then punish users. Even if those users are knowingly trying to brake the game.

To each their own, but I've been playing the game like normal and so have thousands of others with no problems. I think this stuff just goes to show how many people are cheating around the clock on other MMOs that you never hear about.

#44 Posted by eSci (29 posts) -

Kripp (the person's video he linked) is streaming Guild Wars 2 now, and I doubt he bought a new account (as he said in the video you linked he wasn't going to) so they probably unbanned him. Because lets be honest, banning people for what he did (if that was the whole truth, I am not saying it's not because I don't know) is fucking stupid.

I remember right before Wrath expansion ended on WoW (or was it Burning Crusade?) some how the arena gear for that current season got glitched and you can get them for free. Blizzard just took the gear away from those who bought it and no bans or warnings where given out because they are the ones that messed up.

#45 Posted by Xeirus (1407 posts) -

@eSci: People also didn't buy thousands of copies of the armor on WoW and sell it for hundreds of gold worth of profit. It's not the same thing. Plus they are two different companies, they will handle how they see fit.

#46 Edited by UssjTrunks (533 posts) -

@CornBREDX said:

So far every ban story I've seen is deserved. I wont watch one side of the story, there's always another side they wont tell you.

A bunch of people have posted on the guru thread saying that their posts on the reddit page were deleted.

One chick posted right after Ruby in the guru thread complaining about being banned for a slightly promiscuous name, and that her post on the reddit page was deleted after she asked for an explanation. Her account was restored a few minutes later (Ruby had obviously seen it and entered damage control mode). The other side of the story isn't always reliable either, especially when you're dealing with a corporation.

#47 Posted by groin (863 posts) -
@eSci said:

Kripp (the person's video he linked) is streaming Guild Wars 2 now, and I doubt he bought a new account (as he said in the video you linked he wasn't going to) so they probably unbanned him. Because lets be honest, banning people for what he did (if that was the whole truth, I am not saying it's not because I don't know) is fucking stupid.

I remember right before Wrath expansion ended on WoW (or was it Burning Crusade?) some how the arena gear for that current season got glitched and you can get them for free. Blizzard just took the gear away from those who bought it and no bans or warnings where given out because they are the ones that messed up.

He charged back his GW2 purchase and bought another account. He was not unbanned.
#48 Posted by emem (1975 posts) -
@Xeirus said:

@emem: Hey man, I agree, I think it's harsh. But seriously, if you bought thousands of an item you KNOW what you're doing is wrong. I don't have sympathy for the people who are only mad because they got caught.

Yeah, but I feel sorry for those who bought just a few and realised "oh wait, I don't feel good about this", stopped, and still got a permanent ban. 
 
I didn't watch the live stream of Kripparian so I don't know how many items he bought for karma, I thought he only got a few as well.
#49 Edited by UssjTrunks (533 posts) -

@emem said:

@Questionable said:

And what happens when someone employs these game mechanics for a period of non stop vendor/selling for two hours straight.

If I'm not mistaken that's not possible, because you have (or had) to collect karma to buy those items. Or was there another way to do it?

@Xeirus: Well, all I heard from some other people was that they bought like 10 weapons and got banned. When someone really bought hundreds or thousands of items I think you could definitely be right, but not for a hand full... and people were not able to buy an unlimited amount of those items either, because gathering karma takes time (I don't know how expensive/cheap they were, though). I don't condone cheating and I agree that people who willingly exploit something to get an advantage in a multiplayer game should be punished, but basically taking away 60 bucks for something like that without a warning... I don't know if that's the way to do it, just take away their stuff.

This. Punish them in-game for an in-game crime. Don't steal $60 (real dollars) from them, because they stole 8 gold (fake gold) from your virtual world (which you can easily fix, in-game, by taking those items/gold away and/or suspending them).

This is such blatant mistreatment of customers that I can't understand why anyone would defend it.

#50 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@UssjTrunks said:

@emem said:

@Questionable said:

And what happens when someone employs these game mechanics for a period of non stop vendor/selling for two hours straight.

If I'm not mistaken that's not possible, because you have (or had) to collect karma to buy those items. Or was there another way to do it?

@Xeirus: Well, all I heard from some other people was that they bought like 10 weapons and got banned. When someone really bought hundreds or thousands of items I think you could definitely be right, but not for a hand full... and people were not able to buy an unlimited amount of those items either, because gathering karma takes time (I don't know how expensive/cheap they were, though). I don't condone cheating and I agree that people who willingly exploit something to get an advantage in a multiplayer game should be punished, but basically taking away 60 bucks for something like that without a warning... I don't know if that's the way to do it, just take away their stuff.

This. Punish them in-game for an in-game crime. Don't steal $60 (real dollars) from them, because they stole 8 gold (fake gold) from your virtual world (which you can easily fix, in-game, by taking those items/gold away and/or suspending them).

This is such blatant mistreatment of customers that I can't understand why anyone would defend it.

They broke the terms of agreement didnt they? Or something....no one read those things...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.