Speculations about the other professions

Posted by Inzzy (106 posts) -

The Guild Wars community has over the past few months have been given one professions each month (give or take) that they could gobble and drool over. There are now 4 remaining professions that have yet to be announced and the speculations about these have been gone crazy all across the web. I have decided to take the opportunity to tell you a little about what I think will be the some of the next professions, the reason why I only have 3 out of the 4 is because these are based on lore, fact and a lot of speculations on my part. 

I will firstly give a short reason why I have choses the one I have. The Mesmer and the Assassin is based on concept art, and the fact that the professions are mentioned in the book “Ghost of Ascalon”, while the with the introduction of Guns and Rifles to GW2 combined with art leads me to believe that too will be a class. There have been mentioned other class/profession in the book as: practitioners, divination, golemancery, shamans or mathematicians. The most likely of these would be the Divinatiors that would be a hybrid between what we now know as a Monk, Warrior and Dervish, I cannot see mathematicians being useful in battle and golemancery will be a Asuran trait that only they can use. But since the only image that I found that would look like a Divinator, actually more closely resembles a normal warrior I have decided to skip over that part. But let it be noted that is what I believe will be the 4th.  

(Shameless plug for site) if you want to read about my predictions check out the following page: GuildSpot
#1 Posted by Inzzy (106 posts) -

The Guild Wars community has over the past few months have been given one professions each month (give or take) that they could gobble and drool over. There are now 4 remaining professions that have yet to be announced and the speculations about these have been gone crazy all across the web. I have decided to take the opportunity to tell you a little about what I think will be the some of the next professions, the reason why I only have 3 out of the 4 is because these are based on lore, fact and a lot of speculations on my part. 

I will firstly give a short reason why I have choses the one I have. The Mesmer and the Assassin is based on concept art, and the fact that the professions are mentioned in the book “Ghost of Ascalon”, while the with the introduction of Guns and Rifles to GW2 combined with art leads me to believe that too will be a class. There have been mentioned other class/profession in the book as: practitioners, divination, golemancery, shamans or mathematicians. The most likely of these would be the Divinatiors that would be a hybrid between what we now know as a Monk, Warrior and Dervish, I cannot see mathematicians being useful in battle and golemancery will be a Asuran trait that only they can use. But since the only image that I found that would look like a Divinator, actually more closely resembles a normal warrior I have decided to skip over that part. But let it be noted that is what I believe will be the 4th.  

(Shameless plug for site) if you want to read about my predictions check out the following page: GuildSpot
#2 Edited by darkwingduck (174 posts) -

i always found the concept of the mesmer really intriguing, but when i played one i always felt like he kinda sucked... i hope he gets a major improvement in gw2. also i enjoyed playing paragon, even though he kinda had that metro-look going on.. so those two im definatly hoping to return. assassin would be awesome given the new combat system and all.also divinatior sounds pretty cool i hope they go for it.

#3 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I believe there will be a class akin to a Babarian, because Warriors haven't gotten any 2handed weapons, as far as I can tell. Also - the Asura seem to have access to a class using a war-exoskeletton. Some kind of engineer of sorts. Then the classic rogue archetype and the classic debuff archetype,  which would be the Mesmer. 

• Barbarian Archetype (Twohanded Weapons) 
  • Rogue Archetype (Stealth Mechanic) 
  • Asura-Golem-Engineer (Technology Focused Class) 
  • Debuffer Archetype (Mesmer - as seen in GW1)
#4 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@darkwingduck said:
" i always found the concept of the mesmer really intriguing, but when i played one i always felt like he kinda sucked... i hope he gets a major improvement in gw2. also i enjoyed playing paragon, even though he kinda had that metro-look going on.. so those two im definatly hoping to return. assassin would be awesome given the new combat system and all.also divinatior sounds pretty cool i hope they go for it. "

As far as metro lookin' dudes go, luckily we will have the choice between several races this time around. Charrs look feral and in no way metro at all. Also - there seems to be some type of Nordic humanoids, which would be great for burly bearded buff lookin' dudes. The regular humans and those wood elf types certainly still got that metro chic going on. Not really my thing, but hell, some people like overly groomed lookin' people. As far as the Asura go, they actually look somewhat less cutish than I thought. They got something E.T. going on with their eyes and shape of head. A lot cooler than I thought they'd be. I always hated gnome types in Warcraft, but the Asura don't bother me as much.
#5 Posted by Inzzy (106 posts) -
@Seppli: Well if you by two-handed you mean weapons in both hands then no they don't. But they can wield Greatswords, Hammers, Longbows and Rifles that are classed as "Two-Handed" weapons. I can see a tech-class yeah, was going to write a "Steam-punk" class, but could not find any concept art that wold indicate that something like that will be in the game so i dropped that guess for now. That however doesn't mean it wont. As for the Asura only profession, ArenaNet have said that each race will be able to play each class. The asurans will probably have a skill that allows then to have a golem as "pet" and control it, just like the Norn (the nordic humanoid you speak of) will be able to turn into creatures (Bear, Snow Leopard, Raven and Wolf) as a skill.

And for both you and @darkwingduck Guild Wars 2 will more than likely have a "slider mechanic" when it comes to how character creation is made (like seeing in games like APB and Perfect World), they told us during GC2010 that there will me millions of different combinations that players can make when it comes to creating their characters.
#6 Posted by makari (594 posts) -

Of the original six classes in the first game, I think the only one to get a major overhaul will be the Monk. I think, too, that Mesmer is a shoe-in for one of the spots. That lithe looking lady next to the Warrior on the professions page? Probably a Mesmer. 

I'd see the robed figure fitting the spiritual side of the GW lore. The picture screams Dervish, and considering the Dervish was already a mixed bag of healing/support/damage and a strong link to all the gods of Tyria, I wouldn't be surprised if this class came back, albeit with a little Monk flavour, sans scythe, and renamed.

The hulking brute on the left is clearly a Charr which kind of gives you no good indication of what the class might be. The way weapon systems work in GW2, though, I see it as probably being a combo-based melee class akin to the Assassin, but far more malleable. Since skillsets change dramatically through weapon changes, they don't really have to shoehorn the class into the atypical 'rogue' role: equip dual-daggers and youll gain the skillset of an Assassin-type character. Equip dual axes and become a more Berserker-type character. 

I echo the feeling of a golem-controlling class being in the last spot, and it would be a good place to fit the Ritualist mechanics of stationary 'turrets' that deal damage or support in an area. Also some good opportunities for the concept art and some of the cinematics to come to fruition: riding/becoming a golem and having your skillset change accordingly. Of course, each race would have to have different skins for their golems: Asuran 'engineers' having their mechanical golems, Sylvari 'naturalists' having plant-creatures, Human 'ritualists' summoning bound spirits, etc. I expect them to lean more toward ranged damage, hence why the silhouette looks like it's carrying a gun, yo.

#7 Posted by RobbieMac (534 posts) -

Well after finding lots of concept art I can say that mesmer and the assassin were in it as stated by Inzzy.  So those can be safely assumed to be included into the game that then just leaves 2 more professions.  Now I have a hunch they won't be introducing any new classes just revamped classes.  I would say that the monk will be one of them just because every mmorpg needs one.  Despite all of the devs talks of not wanting to limit players to having to search for a monk there are genuinely people who want to exclusively support a team.  So if a healing/support class wasn't included there would be some pretty upset people.

Now for the last class I honestly couldn't tell you.  Paragon was a damage/buffing character and the same went with the Ritulist.  Though the Dervish was pretty much strictly a damage class that dealt out debuffs and ailments.  I am guessing it won't be the Dervish since the warrior seems to be much more versatile in GW2, so I guess they will lean towards a spell caster.  So more of a Ritulist type class.

#8 Posted by Tregard (140 posts) -

I'm hoping for a mechanic/engineer based class, I haven't really seen that well implemented in an MMO and GW2 seems to be trying news things on every front, so it might just be perfect.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.