sPvP Rank Progression Not Flat

#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Really digging the flat level progression in PvE. Playing loads of sPvP today (the first really long session), leveling started to get rather slow around level 10. Kind of a shame, this inconsistency. I mean, there's 100 sPvP ranks, should be easy enough to spread them out in a flat progression.

200-300 hours for a high SPM player to reach max rank, that'd sound good to me - but I fear soon rank ups will take 5-10 hours of high SPM gameplay, maybe even more later on - and 1000s of hours to max rank it. Shame. Slipped through the cracks in beta, when I could at least have voiced my concerns in hopes of seeing a change.

#2 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

It takes a very long time to level up in PvP. Good thing it doesn't impact gameplay in any way.

I reached rank 12 during BWE1/2 (IIRC) and again during BWE3 + stress trests. I'm currently level 7. You really need to pump in a lot of hours to make that bar go up. Tournaments also give more points than standard hot-join.

#3 Posted by yoshisaur (2700 posts) -

My guess is they want you to stick around as much as possible for exposure to their cash-shop and it's much easier to get someone to participate in their versions of "expansions" if they are still actively playing. Either that or it's filler-padding to make the PVP feel more progressive than it actually is.

#4 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

My guess is they want you to stick around as much as possible for exposure to their cash-shop and it's much easier to get someone to participate in their versions of "expansions" if they are still actively playing. Either that or it's filler-padding to make the PVP feel more progressive than it actually is.

This.

#5 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4360 posts) -

@Rohok said:

@ck1nd said:

This.

Double this.

It's more or less a way to keep people around by giving them something to work towards. Similar to prestige in CoD. The downside here, and I'm speaking for me, is that ranking up in GW2 feels like an astronomically more arduous task than, say, getting 10th prestige and...this is coming from someone who only got to like 2nd-3rd prestige in most CoD games. Again, I (sometimes) like the PvP in this game and I like having goals in my games...but damn, GW2 cranked it up to 11. Then they decided that wasn't high enough so they cranked it up to 15 then broke the knob so you can't turn it back down.

#6 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

I noticed it was taking me forever to level up (I'm about to hit rank 12), so I decided to see how long it would take to hit rank 80, and it isn't pretty.

I typically earn about 150 glory (on average) from a single pickup game map. That is 600 glory for a full 4-map rotation. Assuming that every map takes 10-15 minutes to complete, we're looking at 40-60 minutes to earn 600 glory.

This is fine at the lower levels, but already when you hit rank 9-18, that means 4-7 hours of grind per level (as you need 4000 glory to level up).

At rank 39-48 (where you need a whopping 45,000 glory just to move up a single level), it would mean playing through 75 full map rotations (or 50-75 hours) just to go up one level!

According to the wiki and using my numbers, it would take 800-1200 hours just to reach rank 48 (you need 721500 glory points).

Rank 80 will probably take over 3000 hours to reach if we go by this model (which could very well be wrong though as I'm just roughly estimating).

Now, for someone who averages only 300-400 hours a year with a single game, that is simply not an attainable goal.

I really don't see how anyone will reach that plateau unless Anet constantly updates PvP with new maps and game modes (allowing custom maps and game modes like in FPS games would be a great start!).

They could also introduce an alternative method to obtaining prestige armour. Instead of unlocking armour based on your PvP rank only, they can tie it to the number of times you win a tournament as well (currently, only a few armours are tied to tournament victories). That way, if you can't play the amount of hours needed to hit rank 80, you can still obtain the coolest armour by winning tournaments.

#7 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:

I noticed it was taking me forever to level up (I'm about to hit rank 12), so I decided to see how long it would take to hit rank 80, and it isn't pretty.

I typically earn about 150 glory (on average) from a single pickup game map. That is 600 glory for a full 4-map rotation. Assuming that every map takes 10-15 minutes to complete, we're looking at 40-60 minutes to earn 600 glory.

This is fine at the lower levels, but already when you hit rank 9-18, that means 4-7 hours of grind per level (as you need 4000 glory to level up).

At rank 30-48 (where you need a whopping 45,000 glory just to move up a single level), it would mean playing through 75 full map rotations (or 50-75 hours) just to go up one level!

According to the wiki and using my numbers, it would take 800-1200 hours just to reach rank 48 (you need 721500 glory points).

Rank 80 will probably take over 3000 hours to reach if we go by this model (which could very well be wrong though as I'm just roughly estimating).

Now, for someone who averages only 300-400 hours a year with a single game, that is simply not an attainable goal.

I really don't see how anyone will reach that plateau unless Anet constantly updates PvP with new maps and game modes (allowing custom maps and game modes like in FPS games would be a great start!).

They could also introduce an alternative method to obtaining prestige armour. Instead of unlocking armour based on your PvP rank only, they can tie it to the number of times you win a tournament as well (currently, only a few armours are tied to tournament victories). That way, if you can't play the amount of hours needed to hit rank 80, you can still obtain the coolest armour by winning tournaments.

Woah - that's even more idiotic than I thought it would be. These are some hardcore numbers.

sPvP rank progression not being flat is one of the few things striking me as ass-backwards. In stark contrast to pretty much everything else in the game. These numbers though, that's not only ass-backwards - that's straight-up stupid much. That rank progression is not for me, but for exactly that less than 1% of crazy people, whon shouldn't even exist, or even be acknowledged by gamedesign.

At least aim for the top 10%-20% crazy people, with your batshit crazy threadmills - man! I mean seriously, what gives? Kinda ruins it for me. Up to 45+ hours to every next milestone is far too much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.