Starter zone out leveling me

#1 Posted by bunnymud (717 posts) -

I'm lrl 13 but I've done everything on the map in the starter zone. I hear other people running into the same thing. I'm 16/17 of hearts and I cannot find the last one. Do I have to grind my way to the next zone?

#2 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

You could go to some of the other race starter zones, or you could just go to the next zone and start doing events there.

#3 Posted by shinboy630 (1139 posts) -

You should not have any issue if you just go into the next zone, and since that stuff is higher level you will level faster from doing it. Also, Maystack gave you some good advice. The going was slow for me in the Norn 15-25 zone, so I went to the Charr zone for that range and things really picked up.

#4 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

If you didn't do your personal storyline yet, that'll help you bridge the gap. Or go to one of the other 1-15 zones. Or just explore the map some more and do some random events that pop up. Chances are, there are lots of 'em you haven't stumbled upon yet.

As soon as you figure out the structure of Guild Wars 2, you should not run into this problem again. At first the leveling and content progression seem to be at a disparity, but they want you to do everything they offer - and suddendly it all comes together.

#5 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@shinboy630 said:

You should not have any issue if you just go into the next zone, and since that stuff is higher level you will level faster from doing it. Also, Maystack gave you some good advice. The going was slow for me in the Norn 15-25 zone, so I went to the Charr zone for that range and things really picked up.

Yeah - the going was hard at first around lvl 20. That's because Itemization takes a leap forward at lvl 20. You'll get items with 2 attributes on them, and gems too now sport 2 attributes - as soon as I got the first good lvl 20 gear and started to socket 'nugget' gems, things began to smoothen out and feel right again.
#6 Posted by bunnymud (717 posts) -

@Seppli said:

If you didn't do your personal storyline yet, that'll help you bridge the gap. Or go to one of the other 1-15 zones. Or just explore the map some more and do some random events that pop up. Chances are, there are lots of 'em you haven't stumbled upon yet. As soon as you figure out the structure of Guild Wars 2, you should not run into this problem again. At first the leveling and content progression seem to be at a disparity, but they want you to do everything they offer - and suddendly it all comes together.

Yea....I figured it out once I logged in today. I find myself saying, while I play "There is no monthly charge." and being blown away.

#7 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

I ran into this problem BWE 1.

1. Explore. Exploration gives huge EXP (much more than killing things).

2. Other race's starting zones. Go to Lion's Arch and take the portals to the other zones and explore them/do the hearts there.

#8 Posted by arch4non (443 posts) -

The leveling in Guild Wars 2 is kinda wonky, especially for stuff like the personal story. The way the experience is distributed they expect you to complete every single quest and find every last thing on the map before you're supposed to move to the next area. Sometimes you'll still be a level or two too low. The downleveling is also kinda jacked up because sometimes you'll be downleveled BELOW the creatures you're fighting.

#9 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@arch4non said:

The leveling in Guild Wars 2 is kinda wonky, especially for stuff like the personal story. The way the experience is distributed they expect you to complete every single quest and find every last thing on the map before you're supposed to move to the next area. Sometimes you'll still be a level or two too low. The downleveling is also kinda jacked up because sometimes you'll be downleveled BELOW the creatures you're fighting.

The personal story always left you underleveled. Each new story quest bumped the enemies up like 4-5 levels. For example the enemies in one personal story quest might be level 9, and the very next quest will pit you against level 14 enemies. It forces you to go around exploring and doing DEs/hearts between the quests so that you can level up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.