Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Strange Cost?

andrewf87462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By andrewf87462

I'm after purchasing Guild Wars 2 so i've done the normal thing nowadays and looked for a digital version, which to my suprise is £49.99! It's only £34.99 if I buy it in store tomorrow. Am I completely missing something here? Is it more expensive because of the Pre-Order Bonuses? Will the digital version price drop tomorrow once released?

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By zyn

Amazon UK lists Guild Wars 2 for £34.97.

Amazon also lists two versions: Standard and Pre-Purchase Standard, which the latter is £50.46 (which makes no sense to buy now).

EDIT: Sorry, missed the point of my post: is the digital version you're looking at from ArenaNet? ArenaNet can price it whatever they want.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Maystack

I think 49.99 is a decent price for an MMO without a subscription fee.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Deusx

The game is going to steal a bazillion hours of your time. I think it's worth at least $50...

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Baillie

I don't get both of the previous two replies. Would you really, willingly, buy the digital version for £15 more for no reason whatsoever? Weird that.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Deusx said:

The game is going to steal a bazillion hours of your time. I think it's worth at least $50...

50 pounds, not dollars. That's approximately $80, which is very expensive for a game. But this is pretty typical for digital downloads. Diablo 3 is £45 from the official website too.

I thought it was worth paying for an MMO without a subscription though, plus you were getting a bonus accessory, beta access and a 3-day headstart. There's pretty much no reason to pay that much now though, go with Amazon.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Maystack

@Baillie: I bought it for £40, which is the cheapest I could find that let me play in the headstart. If that wasn't available then I would have got the 49.99 one. At this point, there's not much point in getting the 49.99 version now, but a few months back it would have been worth it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Take what you can, give nothing back!

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Xeirus

I got it through green man gaming for $35. They are always running sales, check them out and see what you can get.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ravenlight

The real "strange cost" of GW2 is that ArenaNet owns 1/16 of your soul. It's right there on page 22 of the EULA. How could did anyone miss that?

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@Ravenlight said:

The real "strange cost" of GW2 is that ArenaNet owns 1/16 of your soul. It's right there on page 22 of the EULA. How could did anyone miss that?

I haven't but my interest in the product knowing there's built-in soul management has gone up significantly.

Left unattended, my soul has become a jello-y pile of what it was before puberty. If a video game can reverse that condition, even a little, I can't not say no. Or yes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.