Stress Test - June 27

#1 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -
#2 Posted by Lukeweizer (2607 posts) -

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorking.

#3 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

Take the day off. Don't be a loser.

#4 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

For four hours worth of play time? Probably not worth it.

#5 Posted by Giefcookie (583 posts) -

Starts at 7 pm my time but I dont know if I should play. Feeding the addiction will only make the wait for more GW2 that much worse.

On a side note, has anyone else changed their BGM. I switched my login screen music to the Game of Thrones intro.

#6 Posted by Monthenor (40 posts) -

I get the feeling they need to stress test their European server farm a lot more than the US.

#7 Posted by Nihilius (168 posts) -

That will be 6PM -10PM here in Scotland. Not bad since I didn't get to see the finale on the last BWE.

#8 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@Monthenor said:

I get the feeling they need to stress test their European server farm a lot more than the US.

Which is good, since the previous stress test (and other beta times in general) have been rather counter productive for those of us in Europe. It's nice to see one of these clearly directed at us for a change.

The amount of comments I've seen on other sites along the lines of "how do they except people to play in the middle of the day?!" is face-palming. They even had to put an official note up on Twitter pointing out that there are people in different time zones.

#9 Edited by Benny (1947 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: That's what they get for letting GW2Guru spiral wildly out of control I guess.

Can't wait to play a little PVP.

#10 Edited by Nihilius (168 posts) -

@Benny said:

@WinterSnowblind: That's what they get for letting GW2Guru spiral wildly out of control I guess.

Can't wait to play a little PVP.

That's why I just browse the /r/Guildwars2 subreddit. GW2 Guru got out of control pretty quick.

#11 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

Eargh... 3am to 7am?

We'll see.

#12 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

@Nihilius: Same here, it's a great filter for important and interesting stuff.

@selfconfessedcynic: They're repeating the closing event too, trying to pander a bit to other time-zones I guess. I'm sure there'll be another BWE around the corner!

#13 Posted by shinboy630 (1133 posts) -

So its 1-5pm for me and I usually leave for class around 1 and get back around 5. Nice. :'(

#14 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

Eh ... four hours. I'm not sure what I would even do for four hours. Thanks for the info regardless.

#15 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

@Benny: They're repeating the end of game event? Okay, I won't bother getting on then. I would have spent the time exploring PvE a bit more, which would be quite disrupted if everyone is just participating in that.

Also, Let me know how sPvP goes : P - if you love it, we should have a chat as I want someone to tell me that I've been wrong this whole time and convert me.

#16 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

I might jump in just for a few sPvP games too. I didn't play any at all last BWE, so this will give me a chance to see how much I suck at it.

#17 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@Benny said:

@selfconfessedcynic: They're repeating the closing event too, trying to pander a bit to other time-zones I guess. I'm sure there'll be another BWE around the corner!

That's good to know, I've never been able to take part in the closing event because of the timezones.

I didn't really do anything in the past BWE though, I've pretty much seen enough now, they just need to release the game.

#18 Posted by Bollard (5248 posts) -

I'll be there because very soon I have nothing to do :D

#19 Posted by Giefcookie (583 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic said:

@Benny: They're repeating the end of game event? Okay, I won't bother getting on then. I would have spent the time exploring PvE a bit more, which would be quite disrupted if everyone is just participating in that.

Also, Let me know how sPvP goes : P - if you love it, we should have a chat as I want someone to tell me that I've been wrong this whole time and convert me.

I can tell you that you are horribly mistaken about sPVP good sir! Atleast the NON MATCHMAKING side of it :p

As someone who spent a good deal (about 10-12 hours) of BWE2 in sPVP (not in tournaments though) I really loved it. Playing with a party of 4-5 people joining the same game was great. The problem I had was playing a thief, being able to be seen by my party members on the opposite side through stealth. The class balance is kinda out of whack, but thats to be expected because beta is beta and its an MMO. The 8v8 sPVP will most likely never be balanced when they are focusing their efforts on the structured tournament side of things.

This is turning out to be the summer of betas for me with GW2, Planetside2 and now the PSO2 open beta. Kinda glad I burned out on Diablo now.

#20 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

@Giefcookie: Haha - yeah, I have nothing against the mechanics of sPvP, it's just that point capture isn't my thing. I assume it'd be fun if you got into that style of play.

Ergh... I think I'll keep giving it chances, at a minimum to see the new maps announced for the next BWE and play with Rifle Warrior builds summore. Also, friends from my old GW1 guild will probably be available for the next beta, and we're all PvP freaks (and have worked with eachother before), so it could be a different experience.

That all aside, WvW is where it's at.

@Chavtheworld: *envy*

#21 Posted by Giefcookie (583 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic Point capture isnt my favourite but I'd guess its the easiest to implement and balance as a mode. Really hoping they add some capture the flag or keep assault type stuff, and bigger maps for 12v12 or something similar. I'll probably try out the Tournament stuff with my friends next BWE but I never really liked that kind of super thought-out and prebuilt type of pvp. I was a huge pvper in WOW but never liked the Arena system. Theres not enough opportunity for chaos and random stupid stuff when you know exactly what your team AND the enemy team are doing in the first 10seconds of a match or even before it starts.

I might actually prefer sPVP over WvW atm just because the group I run with is so small that having a significant impact on WvW seems impossible. I'll have to do more of it but as it stands, I'm not interested in just joining the zerg taking castles and have no real way to do the crazy organized stuff like bigger guilds.

Luckily the game seems robust enough overall to enjoy all 3 sides of it including PvE.

#22 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

@Giefcookie: In terms of WvW, I'll just lay out a few numbers in case they help (from what we found during the last beta);

• The minimum needed to assault a Dolyak is 1 person (if built correctly), but better, 2 people.
  • 2 people with very honed skills + builds CAN take on a supply camp (though it takes a while and the risk of attracting unwanted attention can be high depending on what servers are involved)
  • For a group who just wants to have a bit of fun and have some proper impact, 5 is what you should aim for - low risk, very fast supply camp assaults and 5 good players can swing a lot of battles if you do find your server in a tough spot.
  • If you want to move up to taking a tower, then look to have at least 8 people with you who are organised + randoms to pitch in.
  • Keeps are pretty much out of the question for small teams, and ditto for Stonemist Castle. HOWEVER, 5 people can pretty much hold a keep by themselves if it has the proper defences already set up (oil pot things, cannons + mortars).

Remember that everything hinges on supply. They can't build that all-important waypoint if dolyaks don't replenish a keep's stores - or even better, if you can supply lock the keep by taking out all nearby supply camps (usually two - which we managed to do over the span of about 15mins to half an hour for two camps).

The best thing about WvW is that as long as you keep on the ball and posing a threat, you ARE helping. Just don't ever join the zergs (they are fucking useless unless they're beating themselves against a keep or castle), and roll with dudes who know how to have fun.

#23 Posted by Giefcookie (583 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: Yeah, beyond supply camps theres very little you can under without a big group. with 5-10 you can most likely defend a small keep for awhile, definately if the keep is upgraded. I'm hoping they give thieves a little more mobility (though its pretty high as it is if specced right) so that I can assume the roll of harasser. Or a troll, more likely :)

After a few tries I did manage to solo a supply camp but it took nearly 20minutes on my thief. As long as you have a spec that can nuke down a Scout before dying almost any class might be able to do it. It also depends on the camp since you will need to do a lot of LoS kiting while keeping an eye on the other guards. Killing the Overseer is a cakewalk after that. I'd imagine that in a full fledged WvW match soloing a camp is not viable because of the time restraints.

Listening to all of the Team Legacy chatter it definately seems like supply will be the biggest obstacle in winning a match. Hopefully Anet can balance it, giving all of the different things in WvW a meaningful part in the end result.

#24 Posted by TheHT (10880 posts) -

@Giefcookie said:

On a side note, has anyone else changed their BGM. I switched my login screen music to the Game of Thrones intro.

Sold.

#25 Posted by Giefcookie (583 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@Giefcookie said:

Sold.

The system is really easy to use and pretty intricate. I might replace the default underwater music with:

#26 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

Just remembered I had a dream last night where GW2 was suddenly released with no announcement and I didn't know what profession to play.

I have weird dreams...

#27 Posted by shinboy630 (1133 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@Giefcookie said:

Sold.

Depending what kind of boss options there are (I haven't really looked into it), I might change my boss battle music to this.

#28 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

@shinboy630: Hah, I totally didn't pick you for that music taste.

A friend of mine is similarly misguided (: P), though the band I'm going to post - which he clued me into - is more orchestral, and in my opinion, fucking amazing.

If anyone hasn't heard of them, they have done music for movies like Star Trek, Tron: Legacy, Avatar, The Book of Eli and some small indie movie called The Dark Knight.

#29 Posted by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

Ultimate boss battle music:

#30 Posted by Lotus (204 posts) -

"Work, work"

#31 Posted by shinboy630 (1133 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: Metal is awesome! For the record, Two Steps from Hell is less of a band or group, and more of a company. They mostly do work for movie trailers (like some of the ones that you listed) and whatnot.

#32 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3154 posts) -

Gah, every time I jump back into the beta/stress testing without a new computer, it's like stabbing myself in the retinas. I might have to (I can't even believe I'm saying this) skip this one.

@UssjTrunks: You haven't lived 'til you've fought Zhaitan on PCP.

#33 Posted by CommodoreGroovy (548 posts) -

Hah, only four hours. That's not enough time to do anything meaningful in the game. Yet, it is not like there's much left for my character to do PvE-wise anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.