The Lincolncast, Episode 12: Endgame

#1 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2494 posts) -

The Lincolncast, Episode 12: Endgame

Hey guys!

For those who don't know, this is the Giant Bomb community's Guild Wars 2 podcast (made by our guild, Lincoln Force). This week is a news heavy edition with plenty of announcements to talk about. We cover the playable races, vistas and PvE difficulty changes then cap off with a main discussion regarding what we now know about the endgame of GW2 . Oh, and we’re doing it live later this week (see the notes below).

Also, subscribe to the show!

iTunes | RSS

Streaming Embed (audio only):

Show Notes

Intro music: "The Pentagon" by The Hamster Alliance

Featured Members: , , , ,

Run time: 2:37:45

Topics for the week:

• We skip what we’ve been playing and launch right into last week’s Asura and Sylvari announcement, speculating as to whether they will wipe our existing characters.
  • A general consensus is reached: We want the splash screen back (and chroma-hashes).
  • Vistas seem cool.
  • Early game has seen some changes, and we examine whether that is a good thing or not.
  • Our main discussion kicks off – The End Game in Guild Wars 2 - with talk of how the game surprisingly does not end when you hit lvl 80.
  • I really want a legendary rifle.
  • 25 Dungeon Paths is smart marketing, but the 8 explorables still sound like hella fun.
  • Meet me in the hidden cave at the full moon’s zenith. I’ll be there waiting for recipes.
  • The structure of Orr (the final area) has been revealed and our reactions may surprise you.
  • We announce our live show coming this week – Join us on twitch.tv/Dourin on Friday, at 9pm US Eastern (assuming you’re not futzing around in the beta).
  • After the show we sit down and finally chat about what we’ve been playing along with some off-the-wall discussions about the gaming industry and its jargon.

Plugs!

• Be there for the live show on Friday 20 July, 9pm US Eastern! (at Dourin’s twitch.tv channel below)
  • Check out Dourin's gaming coverage at twitch.tv/Dourin
  • Shinboy also has a pretty nifty website at www.plugandplaygaming.com

Enjoy! Also, feel free to leave some criticism or feedback - TheLincolncast@gmail.com or @TheLincolncast on Twitter.

Subscription:

iTunes | RSS

Direct Download:

Podbean Direct Download Link

Direct Download (higher quality):

None! I've found a new method of compressing the regular file (and have bumped it up from 64kb/s to 96kb/s) - so check it out and tell me how it sounds.

Mobile Site (for streaming):

Hosted by Podbean

#2 Posted by shinboy630 (1117 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic said:

• Windows Vista seems cool.

I fixed one of the topics for you. Seriously though I thought this was the best episode that I have been on. Some real good discussion, particularly about having to balance Orr.

#3 Posted by RobbieMac (534 posts) -

@shinboy630: That better be a joke.

#4 Posted by shinboy630 (1117 posts) -

@RobbieMac said:

@shinboy630: That better be a joke.

I'm still convinced that Windows Vista was one giant joke.

#5 Posted by Turkalurch (197 posts) -

I haven't listened to you guys yet but I think I'll make this my first episode. Looking forward to it.

#6 Edited by yyZiggurat (991 posts) -

I find this episode's lack of No0b0rAmA disturbing. But I'll listen to it anyway.

#7 Posted by RobbieMac (534 posts) -

I wish I was on this week so I could say what I was playing.

Will listen to this tomorrow.

#8 Edited by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

@yyZiggurat: <3. I'LL BE BACK.

#9 Posted by garion046 (12 posts) -

Good episode guys, interesting stuff as always :)

I'll be interested to see how the legendaries end up working. I definitely would like to see some recipes hidden around the world for those willing to find them. However, let's be honest, I'm going to try and get that legendary longbow asap, even if it means hitting up the wiki for a recipe.

Ok, so Orr. I loved this discussion. It explained a lot and brought up some good concerns. Firstly and most importantly, being shot in a golem suit into battle sounds like it might be the best thing ever.

As for the balance issues, I agree that those few initial people will probably experience issues (either too easy or hard), however I don't feel it's as big of a problem as it was made out to be. Sure the first 20 people on a server might hit that, but by the time they post an angry thread about dying too fast or it being too easy I feel enough people will hit it to be effective in the zone. So those initial jitters should be ironed out fairly easily, though as was mentioned it may be best to lean on the side of too easy to begin with from a purely press related standpoint.

However once the bulk of players hits it, this is where that balance discussion really kicks in. I've noticed that in terms of scaling, it seems that events with waves of mobs spawning are easier to adjust than events with one large mob, say a champion like the Flame Shaman. So part of the solution may be to limit how many big individual monsters we see. Given that this area is kind of a big warzone at this point this might be viable. However big boss fights are kind of important to make the game fun, so you have to strike a balance there too.

Another thing I'd be interested to see regarding to this warzone type situation is a web of events in a zoning type style where you push the enemy back and then reinforce a fortification behind the push to help hold the counter attack. Some more complexity would be necessary to keep things interesting, so maybe the event web could be focused on fronts, for example if you push them back from the north maybe they push east towards a waypoint where you failed that defensive event and it's weaker. This would obviously be only one part of the events in Orr, with other things going on with the temples etc. Just an idea.

#10 Posted by Benny (1937 posts) -

Really enjoyed the podcast chaps, good points made about Orr possibly not being as popular later on.
However, since there aren't any renown hearts there and only dynamic events, won't Orr be the best place to go for maximum XP? I think it would remain very popular if this is the case. It's also worth noting that the karma merchants there might sell sweet looking armor like the shaman armor in gendarran fields (google it!) so that could hold interest also.

I think in the BWE we should do some tournament PVP cause it would be really fun with Guildies and a few of you have expressed you haven't had enough time with it or haven't had much joy there.
Personally I love it and I'm itching to play some organised tournament stuff with y'all if you're up for it.

#11 Posted by shinboy630 (1117 posts) -

@Benny said:

It's also worth noting that the karma merchants there might sell sweet looking armor like the shaman armor in gendarran fields (google it!) so that could hold interest also.

Most, if not all, karma merchants out in the world (ie, not in the main cities) are unlocked when you complete their heart quest, so I'm not sure there will be a lot there, if any at all.

#12 Posted by Branwulf (391 posts) -

Good show guys.

Personally I feel (in regards to balancing in Orr) that ArenaNet should tune it so it's harder to start with and bring it down when they need to. My reasoning is that if you make something two easy then make it harder you are fucking over people that haven't done it and diminish the achievement of the people that have done it, However if you make it Hard then easier,the people that have done it when it was harder will probably feel a sense of greater acomplishment. like before they nerf raid content in WoW as they are want to do all the time now.

In essence you can tone it down to make it more accessible, or tone it up to make it less accessible.

This is just my opinion though, as someone who really wants a challenge, the other view is equally valid but I feel it would be less appropriate in the long run.

Also, in regards to the new player experience later in the games life, unlike WAR where there is no reason for people to go back and help newer players with low level content, in GW2 there is no reason not to, you're still being rewarded even at level 80.

#13 Posted by Maystack (898 posts) -

Only listened to a bit so far, but here are my thoughts.

• I really don't think that they'll wipe the characters. If they do, people might have before wanted to continue with their old ones, will probably make an Asura or Sylvari and then the areas will be way too crowded. This could be a good thing because it will test the server load.
  • I see no point in the chroma-hash. Maybe it's because I had it set to remember my password but any convenience it had was very slight. Also I will give zero fucks if they don't bring the splash screen back. I was there for like a second before I logged in.
  • The vistas sound really cool. As soon as you explained them I immediately thought of the Assassin's Creed tower climbing thing. I love exploring, and so those will be great to find.
  • I'm fine with content being difficult as long as it's not impossible. If I can get past it by using skill, and not fucking up then it's great. What I don't like is constantly dieing, and chipping off health between respawns. That is no fun at all.
#14 Posted by Maystack (898 posts) -

Also, for those wondering whether polymock is in GW2, this screenshot has surfaced. Seems to be an indicator that it will in fact be in the game.

#15 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (2960 posts) -
@Maystack: Guild Wars 2's true test will be whether it can do its fake Pokemon better than WoW's fake Pokemon.
#16 Posted by Benny (1937 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam: Polymock, GOTTA CATCH EM AAAAAAAaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL!

I suspect polymock pieces will end up on the gem store.

#17 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (2960 posts) -
@Benny: From gw2.dat files, it seems as though mini-pets are what will be used for Polymock. So yes.
#18 Posted by Benny (1937 posts) -
@Dark_Lord_Spam Makes sense really, I'm interested to see what the rewards for playing it are.
#19 Posted by shinboy630 (1117 posts) -

@Benny said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam Makes sense really, I'm interested to see what the rewards for playing it are.

I did a bit of data mining myself, and think I have come up with your answer.

#20 Posted by Benny (1937 posts) -

@shinboy630: Well executed.

#21 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2494 posts) -

Thanks for the kind words guys.

@garion046: I agree with pretty much all of your points there, especially regarding interstitial bosses : ) - Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, that's actually a good point. Skill point farming will probably be entirely focussed on Orr and post-Orr content they add in the future as those would give lvl80s the most experience. I'm just not sure what the split would be like between guys who do things on orr versus things like WvW.

As for tournament PvP... I don't know, I've hated it a lot thus far, but if y'all need someone to fill a slot, sure thing.

@Branwulf: Yeah, the going-back-to-old-stuff as a lvl 80 is actually my favourite part of GW2. Being able to play with people I want to with any of my characters is awesome - and I'll prob save it to lvl 80 to maximise the 100%ing rewards.

But yeah, I'm with you - shit should be hard. I can't wait to do explorable mode dungeons with you chaps.

@shinboy630: I'm tempted to say

"More like:

"

But no, you're right. Red/Blue was the shit.

#22 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (2960 posts) -
@selfconfessedcynic: Dude, the final gym in that game was you going back to your home town to fight a fucking mafioso and break up his Pokemon trafficking ring. I really wish they had maintained that sort of absurd pseudo-maturity in the subsequent versions.
#23 Posted by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic said:

interstitial

I had to look that up on dictionary.com.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.