The Lincolncast Episode 7: Doing it Live! (Stream Archive)

#1 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2586 posts) -

The Lincolncast Episode 7: Doing it Live! (WvW Edition) - Stream Archive

Hey guys!

For those who don't know, this is the Giant Bomb community's Guild Wars 2 podcast (made by our guild, Lincoln Force). This week, we're doing something different and have a new Youtube channel. On here is the archive for our live podcast, streaming footage of our guild's exploits in WvW while talking about the latest Guild Wars 2 news and impressions (at the time).

Also, subscribe to the show!

iTunes | RSS

Streaming Embed (audio AND video this week):

Show Notes

Intro music: "The Pentagon" by The Hamster Alliance

Featured Members: , , , ,

Run time: 2:23:08

Topics for the week:

Video;

• Watch Dourin at www.youtube.com/TheLincolncast as he joins members of Lincoln Force for some WvW action
  • You'll be seeing see some smaller scale raids, but also some zerg action as the team takes on towers and keeps
  • Prepare yourself for some serious(ly creepy) necromancer panty action in the underwater segments and a particularly hilarious falling-animation glitch.

Audio;

• While he does that, the rest of this week's crew provide commentary and discussion on a number of topics
  • Anet doubles the server count
  • Check out the Mystic Forge in Lion's Arch
  • GW2 Will most likely not be on Steam
  • Tournament PvP is locked per data center
  • Skill and condition property splitting is confirmed between PvE and PvP
  • What do we think about the longevity of Dynamic Events?
  • Do we want to see a spectator mode?
  • Has Anet been successful in eliminating the cookie-cutter-build problem from past MMOs?
  • We also have some contentious things to say about the skill and trait systems now we've had a chance to try them

Plugs!

Enjoy! Also, feel free to leave some criticism or feedback - TheLincolncast@gmail.com or @TheLincolncast on Twitter

Subscription:

iTunes | RSS

Direct Download:

Podbean Direct Download Link

Direct Download (higher quality):

Uploading.com Download Link

Mobile Site (for streaming):

Hosted by Podbean

#2 Posted by Giefcookie (610 posts) -

Great stuff guys, in this GW2betaless world its good to hear people trying to carry out an actual conversation about the game. I'll definitely check out the other episodes too.

#3 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2586 posts) -

@Giefcookie: Hah - thanks.

I cant wait to record our impressions podcast this weekend (will be up by next monday US time).

Anyway,

Update: The high quality upload of the audio-only version for this episode is now live.

Update 2: Youtube has finally finished processing the 720p version, so check out that option on the stream.

#4 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

Glad to see you managed to get the box craziness in at the start.

#5 Posted by Tarkhein (71 posts) -

I like how complained about not resurrecting , despite the fact that he's in front of the enemy base and under attack from the Legendary Defenders. Retreat was actually the smarter move.

#6 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2586 posts) -

@Tarkhein: Hey man! He was streaming the show!

It was the duty of all involved to sacrifice themselves at any cost for the entertainment of our glorious viewers : P

(plus, I was barely paying attention to what was happening : D - keeping an eye on chat, an eye on the action, an eye on the show notes and my mouth talking was about 3 things too many)

#7 Posted by Bollard (5744 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: Woo! I'mma link this to my cousin, he couldn't watch Live because it was too late UK time but he said he wanted to see it. Also thanks for including my shameless plug ahah.

#8 Edited by Benny (1955 posts) -

Had a really awesome time during this and it's fun to see myself on the archive goin' nuts with that crazy looking greatsword.

I feel I learned a lot during this weekend and came to appreciate how useful a small team of guildies can be at disrupting supply dolyaks to enemy keeps and how important that is when trying to take over their keeps & towers.

This also goes to show how important it is to defend your own supply camps also because upgrades, repairs and siege gear all take supply and can quickly deplete reserves when you're under attack/attacking.

Can't wait to play more.

#9 Posted by Bollard (5744 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: Ah shit I just started re-listening to the podcast and realised why there was dead silence when you asked about what people had done during their first few hours. Over Skype I never heard you direct that question at me, I thought it was for everyone which is why I didn't respond when no-one else did. Goddamn Skype.

#10 Posted by EnchantedEcho (740 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: Decent episode, held up pretty well considering you guys were playing at the same time. I'd also be game to guest on an episode when you have the space!

#11 Edited by Maystack (906 posts) -

I decided to write things down as I was listening, so here's a jumbled mess of disjointed opinions haha

Here we go:

I tried doing the WvW mini dungeon when we only owned one keep on Sunday and were getting destroyed. It was not fun getting half way through and then a group of enemies kill you. Also, that pitch black room: absolute hell.

For the skill point challenges in WvW, you usually have to beat a load of AI enemies to access it, but seeing as we already owned pretty much everything, there were no obstacles.

As a European, I guess I don’t really mind about the locked data center PvP. I probably wasn’t going to play much PvP anyway, and it would have been nice to play with guildies, but it doesn’t affect me all that much.

I think a spectator mode would be good if it had a good way of letting the player know what was going on. If a complete layman started watching some PvP, they’d need to be able to know who was winning, where the action was etc.

That part where Dourin was permanently knocked down was hilarious.

I think the importance of not having specific roles for each class means that every class can do every role. So a Necro can roll tank, dps or support. Obviously some classes will be better at certain roles, but it just gives more variation for the player.

I made an engineer build that only used turrets, which seems like a really bad build, but hey, it’s how I want to play engineer.

I also want to keep this short, so I’ll just say trait tiers = I like, skill tiers = stupid.

#12 Edited by ZoomyRamen (237 posts) -

Awesome! Hope people enjoy listening to it! Had lots of fun recording with the guys. sorry for my lack of knowledge about GW2. Played a lot more the following day and a bunch of my fears were pretty much gone by the end.

#13 Posted by Grome (16 posts) -

It was massive fun! cant wait until next time.

#14 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3422 posts) -

Hey! I was in the middle of watching the archived version on Dourin's Twitch channel when my computer crashed, and look what I find when I boot back up and jump on Giant Bomb. Gonna go finish it now.

#15 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2586 posts) -

@EnchantedEcho:

Oh hey, cool. This week's show is full at the moment ( is taking the guest spot again), but how about next week? (I'll be sending a round of invites closer to then, so keep an eye on your inbox)

@Maystack:

Tthanks for your thoughts! I'll probably reference you and others this week if a relevant topic comes up.

#16 Edited by Giefcookie (610 posts) -

@Maystack said:

I decided to write things down as I was listening, so here's a jumbled mess of disjointed opinions haha

Here we go:

I tried doing the WvW mini dungeon when we only owned one keep on Sunday and were getting destroyed. It was not fun getting half way through and then a group of enemies kill you. Also, that pitch black room: absolute hell.

Did the whole WvW jumping puzzle with a few friends and it was absolutely amazing. Forget finding a group of enemies, getting griefed by your own friends activating traps on you (fk that arena room with the lvl82 mobs) is both hilarious and fking horrible. The dark room as great, but hopefully they can improve the mechanics on the torches. The massive chest as your reward at the end might need some work in terms of rewards but overall it was probably my favourite thing in an MMO in years.

@Benny said:

Had a really awesome time during this and it's fun to see myself on the archive goin' nuts with that crazy looking greatsword.

I feel I learned a lot during this weekend and came to appreciate how useful a small team of guildies can be at disrupting supply dolyaks to enemy keeps and how important that is when trying to take over their keeps & towers.

This also goes to show how important it is to defend your own supply camps also because upgrades, repairs and siege gear all take supply and can quickly deplete reserves when you're under attack/attacking.

Can't wait to play more.

Being able to 2man (2thieves) a supply camp with a friend was amazing. And doing it because we were playing well instead of being overgeared was even more amazing.

#17 Edited by mtosh (118 posts) -

First episode I've caught, but I must say great job! I was expecting terrible audio quality and a mess of talkers all going at once, common themes in community podcasts. However, overall audio quality was decent, and conversations were deep and everyone seemed to get their points across. Overall great podcast guys, I'll be sure to continue listening.

#18 Posted by EnchantedEcho (740 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: Yeah that should work, what day/time do you guys usually record?

#19 Posted by Tarkhein (71 posts) -

Saturday 11am AEST (UTC +10). For reference, ArenaNet uses PDT (UTC -7), so it'd be Friday evening for Americans (or late afternoon for west coast).

#20 Posted by shinboy630 (1174 posts) -

@EnchantedEcho: Yeah just to further clarify on what said, for americans (like me!) its 9pm eastern, 8pm central, 7pm mountain, and 6pm pacific on friday.

#21 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2586 posts) -

@mtosh: Hey, thanks!

I was actually listening back to it when I read your post, and was worried about the sound quality. This ep was recorded live using Skype, so the levels are admittedly a bit off as I usually do all the balancing in post (you'd hopefully hear the difference if you dig into our archives or listen come monday).

Anyway, it's always fantastic to hear positive feedback, and thanks again for choosing to stick with us.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.