The Lowdown on Guild Wars 2's Group Combat Mechanics (Finally!)

#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Information about Tanking is given @ 49:00 onwards...

Aggro Mechanic:

Aggro depends on which attacker stands closest to the enemy. No specific skills for grabbing aggro. The closest attacker gets and holds aggro.

Resulting Playstyle:

There's no tank per se. There's 3 armor types (light / medium / heavy); whilst heavy armor types will be more suitable for holding aggro, every class will have skills to mitigate incoming damage to a certain extent. Since there's no designated healer class, combat's gonna be all about moving in and out of aggro range and keeping one-self alive (and stepping in to keep others from dying). Likely a dodge roll will be enough to lose aggro to the next guy. Aggro transitions are likely to occur naturally. You get too much heat, you get the fuck out of there and heal back-up. Switching between melee and range weapons and skillsets depending on situation.

Should work great for PUB environment, as well as allow for higher difficulty encounters with much higher requirements at execution (f.e. split-second aggro transitions and managing key skill cooldowns). Taunt's overrated really, thinking about it.
#2 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Embed player doesn't work right. The information is given from minute 49:00 onwards. Can't get the embed with timestamp to work... dammit.

#3 Posted by Lotus (204 posts) -

So, i can tank without using any skills, but i will die because there is no healer to keep me alive if i dont dodge stuffs and heal myself, forcing me to pay attention and use my own skills on any giving situation to kill the enemy, rather than using a specific rotation to maximise the agroo input. Awesome.

#4 Posted by Enigma777 (6070 posts) -

Fuck, I hate MMO's with a passion, but this is looking better and better every time I see it. Makes me wish my PC wasn't such an old clunker...

#5 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@Lotus said:

So, i can tank without using any skills, but i will die because there is no healer to keep me alive if i dont dodge stuffs and heal myself, forcing me to pay attention and use my own skills on any giving situation to kill the enemy, rather than using a specific rotation to maximise the agroo input. Awesome.

In group situations, everybody has to tank (rather can tank). As soon as 'the tanks' life and skill cooldown pool is failing, another player has to step in and take over (rather than spamming heal skills, one has to step-in and take over tanking duty). So tanking is literally teamplay and not a one-man job anymore.

Only worry, it might not perfectly translate to high end PvE. Will need an entire new school of MMO encounter design. Gonna be very interesting indeed.
#6 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

Something new that sounds like fun? Awesome.

#7 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Sounds like it could work I guess. Traditional MMO structures are very team oriented and unfortunately not many people like playing tank or healer, so it actually doesn't work very well as much as it sounds good on paper.

#8 Edited by Nocall (353 posts) -

I was skeptical at first, but after thinking about it for a few minutes I think this might actually work well. 

For instance, their thief character seems mainly suited for melee, yet has a high amount of maneuverability. Why do they have that maneuverabilty? So they can leap in, damage damage damage until they're out of initiative, then leap back out so they're no longer the closest character. It also means a lot for their situational awareness--in a pack of mobs, they don't want to mistakenly leap into another mob after spending their initiative. It could actually be quite fun and rewarding.

#9 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

That sounds like a mess for a PUG. Unless the game is telling everyone everything they need to know about skills are being used and who should tank next. What I said sounds weird and I'm not sure how the game will work in the end but if everyone is expected to swap out tanking without talking to each other then it will be messy.

In case the internet reads the above as overly negative I still intend to buy this game day one.

#10 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

So basically, it's the fights in WoW where there's some type of "boss attacks farthest player" mechanic and everyone has to rotate being the farthest. So I can expect to never progress in a fucking pub because everyone is worthless and can't handle their responsibilities.

#11 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@Sasran said:

That sounds like a mess for a PUG. Unless the game is telling everyone everything they need to know about skills are being used and who should tank next. What I said sounds weird and I'm not sure how the game will work in the end but if everyone is expected to swap out tanking without talking to each other then it will be messy.  In case the internet reads the above as overly negative I still intend to buy this game day one.

Actually, it's basic fight or flight behavior which should make this system work especially well in a PUG. As long as you can fight, you fight. When you can no longer fight, you retreat to catch your breath. Which in group situations will usually switch aggro to another player automatically.

Also - you don't need to group to get all the benefits of a group (full XP and loot, non-competitive threshold based participation rewards etc.). I guess one will naturally gravitate to hit mobs others are hittin' on already. Mobs look to be very tough actually in comparison to WoW-template mobs. GW2 might not be too lone wulf friendly, though perfectly solo-able, as long as one isn't alone.
#12 Posted by geirr (2508 posts) -

The only real bad thing about Guild Wars 2 is the waaaaaait..........

#13 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -
@Seppli said:
@Sasran said:

That sounds like a mess for a PUG. Unless the game is telling everyone everything they need to know about skills are being used and who should tank next. What I said sounds weird and I'm not sure how the game will work in the end but if everyone is expected to swap out tanking without talking to each other then it will be messy.  In case the internet reads the above as overly negative I still intend to buy this game day one.

Actually, it's basic fight or flight behavior which should make this system work especially well in a PUG. As long as you can fight, you fight. When you can no longer fight, you retreat to catch your breath. Which in group situations will usually switch aggro to another player automatically.  Also - you don't need to group to get all the benefits of a group (full XP and loot, non-competitive threshold based participation rewards etc.). I guess one will naturally gravitate to hit mobs others are hittin' on already. Mobs look to be very tough actually in comparison to WoW-template mobs. GW2 might not be too lone wulf friendly, though perfectly solo-able, as long as one isn't alone.
I've purposefully been ignoring a lot about the game so that I will be more surprised by what it has to offer but it sounds like it will be far, far off of what the original had to offer if solo-ing is something that makes sense outside of farming. I've probably put my foot lower into the water than I wanted to now because it all sounds strange. I now have plenty of questions that will be answered when I am finally able to play the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.