Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

The Scotchcast Episode 1: Nintendokuni

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

The Scotchcast Episode 1: Nintendokuni

So yeah, there have been a couple of episodes of this already. And yeah, I know the name doesn't make sense and the music I chose doesn't fit with that either. But uno what? I like this song a whole bunch and you probably will too. Anyway - this week we talk about stuff. What stuff? Well, games, news, and anything that comes to mind, really. That's why this thing exists after all.

Also, subscribe to the show!

iTunes | RSS

Streaming Embed (audio only):

Show Notes

Music: "Number 6841" by The Hamster Alliance

Featured Members: , , ,

Run time: 2:42:33

Topics for the week:

• We've been playing Guild Wars 2, "Speaking with snow-people", Casual Racism and Ni no Kuni!
    • We talk a whole lot about Ni no Kuni and its implications on the future of game graphics.
    • Then we hit up the news, first and foremost chatting about the swathe of disinteresting Nintendo announcements.
    • Well, Dourin liked them. But he isn't the one writing these show notes. So there.
    • Then we beat that dead horse in more ways than one in our discussion of THQ - it's that then the ending, so if you're as sick of it as I am, then you can stop once you hear us say it.

Plugs!

Enjoy! Also, feel free to leave some criticism or feedback - TheLincolncast@gmail.com or @TheLincolncast on Twitter

Subscription:

iTunes | RSS

Direct Download:

Podbean Direct Download

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Mirado

No scotch during the Scotchcast? For shame.

I'll rectify that by drinking some while listening! :D

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mirado: Hah, yeah - we keep it surprisingly sober when recording.

No clue why... guess I'd rather spend my free cash on books and games than liquor.

I should get a bottle at some point though. Or we should change the name of this thing.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mirado

@selfconfessedcynic: Not sure how it is where you live but for me, halfway decent scotch costs a fair amount (damn state tax). As such, the phrase "always in moderation" applies even more stringently than normal when it comes to scotch.

I can totally understand not wanting to drop $60+ on something that you'll be peeing out... but as I do it anyway, perhaps I'm a bad example of fiscal sensibility. :D

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mirado: Exactly! I mean, I could get a crappy bottle for like $20, but at that point it isn't even worth drinking.

So yeah, 60-80 bucks is like 10 albums, 4 movies, 8 books or 2 video games. Considering beer at my frequented pubs is like $8 / jug, it's all rather unfair.

Ah well.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Subjugation

@selfconfessedcynic: Legitimate question: Wtf is the Scotchcast? When did this become a thing? And seriously, what is it?

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dourin

@Subjugation: Basically, as Lincolncast episodes have gotten more and more off topic, and news for the game has started to slow a bit, we've found ourselves playing other games as well, or even just doing other things that are not GW2-related, and wanting to talk about them. Thus, the Scotchcast was born.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mirado

@selfconfessedcynic: I can get a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black for around $35, which is about the minimum quality level I'd be willing to sink to. Any single malt, even the lowest offerings from Glenfiddich and Glenlivet slide north of $50 for 750ml, and anything approaching "good" is $90+.

Which is a shame; scotch is meant to be "tasted", not to get you plastered (although you obviously can). That's why I kinda don't understand anyone who drinks things like Red Label or Dewar's; they taste terrible and if your goal is just to get drunk, you can get a half-decent rum or bourbon for that price and enjoy it way more. Really, JW should cut the Red Label and move the Black down to that price bracket, but there's no way that's going to happen. They're even killing off the Green Label which I enjoy the most out of their lineup; the Blue is overpriced (if you're in the market for $200 scotch then you're looking for distinct characteristics and not a blend, IMO) and the rest are all meh, but the Green is a blend of just four single malts and that's pretty unique around the $60 dollar bracket. I think it holds up better than the cheaper single malts, at least.

I don't like most beers except for some micros, so I don't win out price-wise on that either. Alas!

Anyway, to keep this mildly on topic; I like the format that you have going. Since I'm not a big Guild Wars 2 guy, it was nice to hear your takes on other gaming related topics, and I'd like to see more of this in the future.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Subjugation

@Dourin: Sounds good to me. Is it a replacement for the Lincolncast?

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By No0b0rAmA

@Subjugation: WELL IF YOU LISTENED SUBS, YOU WOULD KNOW WHATS GOING ON.

The answer is we do this when we don't have GW2 stuff to talk about, so it rotates between this and the Lincolncast.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Subjugation

@No0b0rAmA: I WILL BRING THE CHIBI BACK UP. CHECK YO SELF.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uhtaree

Really enjoy your guys' stuff, no matter what you're talking about. Keep up the good work!

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Subjugation said:

Chibi? We talking about that figurine? If not, I NEED to know.

@aquamarin: Hey, thanks man! I like doing these off-topic shows a whole bunch, so good to hear others enjoy it too.

@Mirado: Firstly, I agree when it comes to Red, and I have no idea why you'd buy Blue either - I have also been known to enjoy a black every now and then, but not with any frequency. But then again I'm not exactly an expert on these matters - and in all honesty, I actually prefer the likes of gin and vodka to the more noble liquors.

Anyway, happy to hear you like what we do - you'll definitely see more of these in the future.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By No0b0rAmA

@Subjugation said:

IM PROUD BRO, IM PROUD OF WHO I AM

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.