Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Tips for a thief trying to make his way in the world (vs world)?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ProfessorEss

Hey community. So I've been loving this Guild Wars 2 game pretty seriously since it's release. I'm playing as a thief and having a fantastic time, and loving his skill-set in PvE but I'm really struggling with World vs. World. I've some good runs but the lion's share of my time in the battlegrounds has been a loop of getting squashed by a zerg, returning to the waypoint, and running out to get squashed by another zerg. I do okay in little skirmishes but considering how much of the action is Zerg vs. Zerg I'm having trouble finding my role.

Anyone have any insight that they care to share with me in regards to how a thief contributes in large group combat?

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Gonmog

Stay in a group, use your bow and arrow on zergs, and switch to melee when one comes close to you and the other ranged attackers. Yes that sounds lame. But you are helping out with spamable aoes, and your basic attack hurts a few people as well.

Under 4 people fighting, use melee, more then, use a bow, your dps will be way higher when attacking the zerg.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Turambar

Shadow refuge to cloak downed allies, scorpion wire to pull enemies (including defenders on walls!!!!!!!), throwing knives to slow fleeing enemies, heart seeker to quickly close distances on runners, death blossom for bleeding aoes, pistols for ranged skirmishes.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I use double dagger/double pistols.
    Pistols are mostly to chase/scare off but I tend to look for ballsy casters with low hp which I will harrass before stealthing and retreating.
    Works wonders since everyone turns to kill you which allows your zerg some closing in time.

But the shortbow's great as well, detonating that clusterbomb mid air is good for snipers on ledges/walls as well. Hurts as hell.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ProfessorEss

Thanks for the input I'll have to try some of these out.

@Turambar said:

...scorpion wire to pull enemies (including defenders on walls!!!!!!!)

Never even considered that! I'm assuming you get a lot of "obstructed" but seems like it'd be real satisfying when it works

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

...detonating that clusterbomb mid air is good for snipers on ledges/walls as well. Hurts as hell.

I had no idea you even "detonate" clusterbomb. Can't wait to go look into that.

As you can probably tell I'm pretty noob. Still trying to figure how combos and finishers work too if anyone has a tidbit on that :)

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    @ProfessorEss: I have no clue, been too busy enjoying it to even look at combo's xD
    Some skills change during their usage however, like the clusterbomb which you shoot (watch the icon on your bar, it changes) and if you press 2 again while its midflight you let it detonate midair which gives more spread.
    Awfully handy to shoot at a wall and have it explode at the height of the shot, the clusters will hit some of the people on the wall for sure.
    Rangers with a Greatsword can block by pressing 4 to give another example, if you get hit you knock your opponent back but if no one's in range or you think you're not going to get anyone to hit you press 4 again and you'll throw the sword! 

Lil stuff like that is amazing.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ProfessorEss

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Lil stuff like that is amazing.

It really is. The tough part is there's just so much of this "Lil stuff" that's so different from MMOs of the past that it's really taking some time to get my head around it all.

Plus, all the wikis out there still seem pretty skimpy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.