Was anyone else annoyed at how Jeff was playing in the QL?

• 182 results
#1 Edited by Nihilius (168 posts) -

I mean he was static whilst attacking mobs not even bothering to try to dodge.

/rant

EDIT: Before you start to get out the pitchforks and gather up all your insults, GW2 doesn't have much of a tutorial at the start to help new players with features such as dodging and cross combinations. I forgot about this fact since I have been playing since the very first beta weekend and it was ignorant of me to think that everyone should know every detail about this game.

#2 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -

Wait, you can dodge?

#3 Posted by groin (848 posts) -

Who cares?

#4 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

Seriously dude why did you make this post?

#5 Edited by Nihilius (168 posts) -

@Benny: Because they are showing off the game to a large amount of people and missing out one of the features of the game.

#6 Posted by ajamafalous (12039 posts) -
@Nihilius said:

@Benny: Because dude they are showing off the game to a large amount of people and missing out one of the features of the game dude.

You must be new here? 

That's the only explanation I can think of. You could make this case for 90% of the QLs they do.
#7 Posted by Nihilius (168 posts) -

@groin: Obviously me, did you not read the first post?

#8 Posted by groin (848 posts) -

@Nihilius: If you're not an employee or stakeholder in NCSoft then why does it matter? Guild Wars 2 will do just fine.

#9 Posted by Cincaid (2958 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@Nihilius said:

@Benny: Because dude they are showing off the game to a large amount of people and missing out one of the features of the game dude.

You must be new here? That's the only explanation I can think of. You could make this case for 90% of the QLs they do.

Funny enough, when they do a QL of a game they have knowledge of (see: Rock Band Blitz), people complain that it's too boring.

#10 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

HE'S PALYING IT WRONG!

#11 Posted by Nihilius (168 posts) -

@ajamafalous: No I'm not new, I am just a fan of the game and I can feel that Jeff doesn't give a shit about it so why is he playing it? I can tell you that he will have a completely different attitude towards PSO2.

#12 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Why do people care? Go play the fucking game if you love it so much and stop complaining about shit that doesn't matter.

#13 Posted by ajamafalous (12039 posts) -
@Cincaid said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Nihilius said:

You must be new here? That's the only explanation I can think of. You could make this case for 90% of the QLs they do.

Funny enough, when they do a QL of a game they have knowledge of (see: Rock Band Blitz), people complain that it's too boring.

Which is fucking dumb. RBB they did kinda mess up a little bit in that Ryan spent 7 minutes in the menus (whereas from the beginning they should've just jumped in, played a song while Jeff explained the core mechanics, then gone to the menus and shown the powerups and stuff), but I would rather they do their research and know what the hell they're doing than fumble through a game and turn off a bunch of users. People always say "but it shows the viewer what their experience will be like jumping in!" Well, I don't know about you, but I at least read the controls and tutorials before I play a game.
#14 Posted by Nihilius (168 posts) -

@Phatmac: Why do you care if I care? Can't we all just play the game and stop not complaining about shit that does matter?

#15 Posted by Karkarov (3184 posts) -

It isn't like dodging is really that important out side of some specific enemies or pvp. That being said it isn't like the Giantbomb crew are any good at mmo's in general or ever give in depth looks at them. I am sure the gave guild wars 2 just a nice a look as they did Terra or SWtOR.

#16 Edited by Nickieroonie (141 posts) -

I haven't watched the QL yet, but I can understand Nih's frustration. Everybody hopes that a QL shows a game in the same light that they see it. It stinks when you know X Y and Z about a game but the QL doesn't touch on any of those. It can lead people to false conclusions about a game, which is super unfortunate.

I felt similar when I watched the Bayonetta QL. I didn't feel that they represented the game properly, so it was disappointing to think that many people who watched the QL might abandon the idea of trying that game out.

edit: I suppose the bottom line is that you shouldn't necessarily expect a QL to be a good, informed look at a game. Sometimes they are, and sometimes they aren't.

#17 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

You know what, I don't think Guild Wars 2's success hangs in the balance of how well Giantbomb quick look the game. Even if it turns a duder or two off the game, there's nearly 300 in the 2 guilds we're rolling with at the moment.

#18 Edited by Nihilius (168 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@Cincaid said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Nihilius said:

Which is fucking dumb. RBB they did kinda mess up a little bit in that Ryan spent 7 minutes in the menus (whereas from the beginning they should've just jumped in, played a song while Jeff explained the core mechanics, then gone to the menus and shown the powerups and stuff), but I would rather they do their research and know what the hell they're doing than fumble through a game and turn off a bunch of users. People always say "but it shows the viewer what their experience will be like jumping in!" Well, I don't know about you, but I at least read the controls and tutorials before I play a game.

This. I think people forget they are supposed to be professionals, they should figure out the basics of the game before playing it they are reviewing the game for fuck sake.

#19 Posted by ajamafalous (12039 posts) -
@Nickieroonie said:

I haven't watched the QL yet, but I can understand Nih's frustration. Everybody hopes that a QL shows a game in the same light that they see it. It stinks when you know X Y and Z about a game but the QL doesn't touch on any of those. It can lead people to false conclusions about a game, which is super unfortunate.

I felt similar when I watched the Bayonetta QL. I didn't feel that they represented the game properly, so it was disappointing to think that many people who watched the QL might abandon the idea of trying that game out.

I agree; it's happened to me on countless QLs, but it's something I quickly got over. I know I like a game, and it's disappointing if their QL turns off other potential players because they don't know the subtleties of a game, but there's nothing I can do about it, so I move on. Complaining about it on the forums won't get me anywhere.
#20 Edited by Nihilius (168 posts) -

@ajamafalous: Yeah, I'll forget about this QL at the end of the day, but whilst watching I wanted to vent my anger. :)

#21 Edited by groin (848 posts) -

@Nihilius said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Cincaid said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Nihilius said:

Which is fucking dumb. RBB they did kinda mess up a little bit in that Ryan spent 7 minutes in the menus (whereas from the beginning they should've just jumped in, played a song while Jeff explained the core mechanics, then gone to the menus and shown the powerups and stuff), but I would rather they do their research and know what the hell they're doing than fumble through a game and turn off a bunch of users. People always say "but it shows the viewer what their experience will be like jumping in!" Well, I don't know about you, but I at least read the controls and tutorials before I play a game.

This. I think people forget they are supposed to be professionals, they should figure out the basics of the game before playing it they are reviewing the game for fuck sake.

You're a subscriber but you have to be new here. You should never associate professionalism with Giantbomb.

#22 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

Yeah, I always get waaaaaaaaaaay fucking angry whenever I see anyone playing a video game differently to how I'd play it.

#23 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I don't think he's necessarily playing it wrong, but it seems like some of the quick looks are obligatory just because the game is popular. On the other hand, they do some quick looks on games that most sites don't spend much time on at all. Still, I agree that this one was a little lackluster, and I walked away feeling more confused about the game than informed.

I like the raw quality of quick looks, but at the same time a game as complicated as GW2 might deserve a bit more polish than this QL can provide. Maybe even settle for one of those "review in progress" videos that IGN does, even though it feels blasphemous to say so.

#24 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I'm not watching quick looks to learn shit I'm there to be entertained, I have no intention of buying that game but I'll watch the quick look anyway.

#25 Edited by Nihilius (168 posts) -

@groin: Nope been a subscriber for quite a while, but I guess I had rose tinted glasses up until this point.

#26 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -

I'm definitely one of the people that gets annoyed when they don't show games fairly but after watching that quick look I can't see how dodging would change any opinions created by that video.

#27 Edited by Turambar (6810 posts) -

Considering how slowly endurance regenerates, dodging twice would not have significantly changed the outcomes of any of his fights.

#28 Posted by jesterroyal (353 posts) -

Eh, Same thread different game. It all really depends on the enthusiasm of the one driving the quick look. And its hard to fault anybody for being burned out on MMO's. Dodging wouldnt have made a difference but it seems like brad is(was?) somewhat excited for this game. I'd love to hear his take on it.. But, Different strokes for different folks. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill. Live and let live. Everything deserves a chance to grow. Less violence more violets. What was I saying? Oh. No need to wank. You love guild wars and that's all that matters.

#29 Posted by Nihilius (168 posts) -

@jesterroyal: Hah. Well said.

#30 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5040 posts) -

@Nihilius said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Cincaid said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Nihilius said:

That was a Quick Look not a review. Just putting that out there.

#31 Posted by Vinny_Says (5719 posts) -

I was gonna buy the game, but watching Jeff not dodge was a total dealbreaker.

#32 Posted by Brodehouse (10077 posts) -

I've played for 6 hours and I don't see the point in dodging the majority of the enemies I've faced. The only enemy it made sense to try was this big charging boar. And then when I dodged it didn't matter, because he just magnetized to me Too Human-style.

I'm sure it matters for PvP and high level play. But I'm playing a melee class in the level 10 content. Dodging just means now I can't hit them.

#33 Posted by Freshbandito (689 posts) -

Are you insinuating that people will not buy the game or think differently about it because Jeff didn't use a dodge move a couple of times in his fights? you paint an image of an incredibly shallow game if the ability to dodge is a key selling factor.

#34 Posted by leebmx (2247 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Nihilius said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Cincaid said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Nihilius said:

That was a Quick Look not a review. Just putting that out there.

Indeed. If and when they review the game they will give thorough play as they always do. The whole point of this site is that it is about the personalities of the guys. With each game they come into contact with you get their interpretation and feelings. To me this is way better than some bland showing of all the options and the 'correct' way to play the game.

When Jeff hates on Limbo I don't get all angsty I just know we have different tastes. Same when I hear Brad getting all crazy enthusiastic about something I know he won't even mention when GOTY comes round. Have some belief and confidence in your own taste and don't need reinforcement by the staff. Everytime there is a quick look someone is getting in a tizzy that they are not doing justice to their game.

#35 Posted by Nihilius (168 posts) -

@Freshbandito: I said and meant nothing of the sort. I said it was one of the features of the game, not one of the main selling points of the game.

#36 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

If I had a nickel for every time someone bitched about how the guys played during Quick Looks, I'd be a fucking millionaire.

There are a million more important things in life. Let this go.

#37 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

i got really annoyed too!!!

its almost like he does stuff like this on purpose so people like me that get annoyed by trival shit like this make threads to express just how annoyed i got about something so fucking stupid.

grrr things!!!

#38 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

Man, I knew that this thread was going to pop up, but not this soon.

Also, seeing as your question is related to the quick look, why not just comment on the video?

#39 Posted by Freshbandito (689 posts) -

@Nihilius: but for such a small feature to annoy you seems so, well, pointless. I mean I'm a huge fan of the Ace Combat series (don't hold that against me) and have you seen the quick look they gave assault horizon? at some point you just have to not worry about it, learn to love the bomb man.

#40 Posted by Dogma (975 posts) -

To have a complaint about the content of the Quick Look is totally legit but to make a forum post about it (that was one sentence) when you actually could have written it directly in the comments below the video is why people probably think this thread is unnecessary.

#41 Posted by Mcfart (1659 posts) -

@Turambar said:

Considering how slowly endurance regenerates, dodging twice would not have significantly changed the outcomes of any of his fights.

x1000 THIS. People are treating Jeff like an illiterate retard, but nobody noticed that he did fucking roll during the QL, but he did it while running from point A to B. Meaning that he probably didn't find it useful during combat. Not to mention that one dodge takes up like a quarter of the meter.

Also if you've ever listened to a bombcast where they've discussed an MMO (or MMO-like game, like Borderlands), then you'd know that nobody on the crew (except for Matt Rorie but he's gone) cares about MMO's.

Giantbomb's sister site, Gamespot, has like 50 hours of video on Guild Wars 2 already, since Kevin Vanord is in love with it. In my opinion, Giantbomb shouldn't have even bothered with a Quick Look since Jeff already expressed his sentiments on the Bombcast. Why do a quick look of a game that's getting tons of coverage at Gamespot and that nobody on the crew cares about?

#42 Posted by Ares42 (2729 posts) -

Tbh, in PvE you barely ever need to dodge. Circle-strafing gets you a loooong way.

#43 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

They bashed the game for being too MMO-like, and then didn't really go into any detail about the personal quest system (they fumbled with it and talked about it having too many loading screens), the benefits of exploring, small-scale PVP, or even look at character customization to personalize the personal quests or the exacting detail which you can make your character. They should've just gotten someone who didn't have their expectations ruined by a passing glance at PAX and have since ignored everything that the game is about.

#44 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Yelling at the video Rocky Horror-style is half the fun of Quick Looks.

#45 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

@Mcfart said:

@Turambar said:

x1000 THIS. People are treating Jeff like an illiterate retard, but nobody noticed that he did fucking roll during the QL, but he did it while running from point A to B. Meaning that he probably didn't find it useful during combat. Not to mention that one dodge takes up like a quarter of the meter.

Also if you've ever listened to a bombcast where they've discussed an MMO (or MMO-like game, like Borderlands), then you'd know that nobody on the crew (except for Matt Rorie but he's gone) cares about MMO's.

Giantbomb's sister site, Gamespot, has like 50 hours of video on Guild Wars 2 already, since Kevin Vanord is in love with it. In my opinion, Giantbomb shouldn't have even bothered with a Quick Look since Jeff already expressed his sentiments on the Bombcast. Why do a quick look of a game that's getting tons of coverage at Gamespot and that nobody on the crew cares about?

The evasive roll actually nullifies damage.

Also, you're right about them and MMO's. Giant Bomb seems like one of the most anti-MMO gaming websites around, and it's dissapointing. They could, and should, have gotten Matt Rorie to guest star on the QL.

#46 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3575 posts) -

That's why they call these quick looks and not full looks.

#47 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@Nihilius said:

I mean he was static whilst attacking mobs not even bothering to try to dodge.

/rant

The game doesn't force you to dodge so you really can't fault him. I found that I could usually just stand in front of an enemy and mash keys to win. It might get harder later, and of course in dungeons, but the early game stuff is very easy.

#48 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1809 posts) -

People will never be satisfied with how other people play games on video. Video games are an interactive medium, and watching any video of them just makes me want to play them.

This is why I will never watch the endurance run.

#49 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3389 posts) -

@Nickieroonie said:

edit: I suppose the bottom line is that you shouldn't necessarily expect a QL to be a good, informed look at a game. Sometimes they are, and sometimes they aren't.

This is probably the perfect answer to every one of these sorts of topics. Quick looks are a total crap-shoot, and sometimes the guys just aren't interested enough (or whatever you say happened with Bayonetta, since they loved that game and I know nothing about it) in a game to make the coverage interesting or informative.

#50 Posted by Veektarius (4922 posts) -

I could tell this was going to be the case when Jeff did not mention the distinctiveness of the combat system during the Bombcast. I don't think you're wrong to get annoyed about it, but it is one of those things you have to be willing to tolerate following the Bomb squad. It's funny to watch the guys screw around when it's a game you couldn't care less about, but when it's one I like, it's frustrating to me too. I think the most annoyed I've ever been with them was following their coverage of the Total War games. They just straight up sucked on those.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.