Was anyone else annoyed at how Jeff was playing in the QL?

• 182 results
#101 Posted by Lukeweizer (2611 posts) -
@ajamafalous
@Lukeweizer said:
@Jumanji
@ajamafalous said:
@Gamer_152 said:

For example I've heard a lot of complaints about how staff aren't reading instructional text in games when it appears, but what are they supposed to do? Sit there in silence while they diligently read through every word?

Yes. Yes, that is exactly what they are supposed to do. Or they can read it out loud/to each other, whatever.
Or they can spend 10 minutes before the shoot running through the tutorials.
There are no tutorials. That's the problem. They don't walk you through crafting or pvp.
We were all speaking generally, not about Guild Wars 2. I've played it, and I'm aware that the game is poorly tutorialized.
Ah, my bad.
#102 Edited by Ariketh (606 posts) -

@Nihilius said:

I mean he was static whilst attacking mobs not even bothering to try to dodge.

/rant

The game doesn't/didn't have a good tutorial at the very beginning. He has been playing it since Friday (according to the podcast) and plans to stick with it.

Relax. He thinks "Guild Wars 2" is a cool game, but he doesn't think it's revolutionary. And he believes it'll be successful. So chill out. Give him a week or so.

To be fair, it took me a little bit of adjusting to really get into GW2. But that was also because I was sticking with the same weapon (two handed hammer) which doesn't fit well with my play style. Once I tried out a couple of other classes, and switched to the two handed sword, I started to get a bit more into it. I also had my brother there, who had played the beta weekends, while I hadn't.

#103 Posted by Humanity (8857 posts) -

I got used to the fact that it's Jeff and Jeff doesn't give a shit about what others think. He isn't digging GW2 a lot so whatever, he liked PSO2 so much that he read online guides and translations just to play it and ostensibly it's a much less involved game that looks worse and offers even less than GW2. But Jeff likes it so you will get a QL with him gushing over it so oh well thats how these things roll. I mostly watch for those funny Quick Looks where they play some unknown game. Best not get too invested in that sort of stuff - Witcher 2 is a great game, sadly almost no one in the office gave a shit about it - hey man Darksiders 2 is out everyone gotta play this Darksiders was AMAZING and oh wow that ending? That was just some 12 year olds wet dream of badass warrior watching his badass friends crashlanding on Earth, dammmmn son!

#104 Posted by hangedtoaster (156 posts) -
@Nihilius: Your actively complaining about the way someone else plays a game? What? WHY
#105 Posted by Nentisys (886 posts) -

@Humanity said:

I got used to the fact that it's Jeff and Jeff doesn't give a shit about what others think.

And this is why he is great.

#106 Edited by Nihilius (168 posts) -

@Ariketh: Yeah, as I said before GW2 is terrible for not giving new players some type of tutorial at the start and I completely forgot about that since I have been playing since the first beta weekend. I was stupid for assuming so, I now regret making this thread.

#107 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

Is this about Jeff not dodging or is it about Jeff not liking the game?

#108 Edited by RenegadeDoppelganger (406 posts) -

It sounds like a lot of the people complaining about the thoroughness of the [insert game here] QL were already sold on the game to begin with.

Speaking as someone who wasn't really interested in a new [insert game here], this Quick Look provided me enough basic gameplay and commentary in an entertaining format to pique my interest.

I am far more interested in seeing the guys cover games in an entertaining if less-than-thorough fashion that I am listening to someone read off a "features and benefits" one pager from someone's marketing department.

If that is the kind of coverage you want to see, please feel free to check out [the internet]

#109 Posted by CaLe (3914 posts) -

Annoyed? No, absolutely not. It didn't click with Jeff and that's fine. Some people, myself included, are just over these types of games.

#110 Posted by DFSVegas (350 posts) -

If you're coming to Giant Bomb for in-depth coverage, you've been mislead. This here site is about entertainment.

#111 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2485 posts) -

I'm annoyed by the sad state of public education, the proliferation of reality television, politics, patent lawsuits, a decline in the quality of medical care, job outsourcing, hold times with our VoiP phone service company, and the lack of a 6th season of Angel.

This didn't really bother me.

#112 Posted by Ehker (235 posts) -

Do people dodge with the arrow keys, or use WSAD? I ask as the defaults seem to only let you dodge in all directions with arrows, which aren't my favorite to use.

#113 Posted by Nickieroonie (141 posts) -

@Ehker: I like to use a mouse button to dodge, and WASD to control the direction in which I dodge. Similar to having a gamepad and aiming+pressing a button.

#114 Edited by mellotronrules (1172 posts) -

it doesn't annoy me, because i don't have a personal stake in how someone else plays a video game. jeff was just being jeff.

#115 Posted by Bogitt (201 posts) -

Meh, i'm only watching through now but so far nothing seems to have been enough of a challenge to even bother dodging.

#116 Posted by Sayishere (1839 posts) -

I have never played GW2, but seen footage of it, and the whole cool thing about that game is the dodging, shame Jeff didnt do much of it, so yeah i agree.

#117 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I thought the game looked good, since you are a expert at this game is it true it only takes like 5 minutes to unlock all the abilities for each weapon?

#118 Edited by RobbieMac (534 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: Yeah it doesn't take long at all to unlock this skills for a weapon.

As for the QL I wasn't bothered, didn't seem too bad. Though I didn't watch all of it.

#119 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3166 posts) -

@Ehker said:

Do people dodge with the arrow keys, or use WSAD? I ask as the defaults seem to only let you dodge in all directions with arrows, which aren't my favorite to use.

By default, dodge is linked to both double-tapping WASD and has a separate key-bind that you can press to dodge in the direction you're moving. What I've done is turn off "double-tap to dodge" in the options and bound dodge to my left Alt so I can thumb it easily.

#120 Posted by wjb (1639 posts) -

After watching the Quick Look in its entirety, as someone who doesn't know anything about Guild Wars, it seemed like Jeff had a basic understanding of the game. The whole "not dodging" issue was not on the same level as Brad not recognizing the grip meter in Shadow of the Colossus -- something that prevents the player from continuing.

It sounds like people who know how to dodge have already played the game or know what they're doing, and are just upset that Jeff isn't playing at the same level as they are. While people like me don't know the difference and don't care. If I did, that would be something I would figure out on my own while playing it. That's kind of the point of playing video games, at least for me.

~shrug~ Jeff wasn't overly negative about the game and seemed to play just fine.

#121 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

I felt they downplayed the game on the podcast like crazy. Dismissing it as another game like WoW but without a monthly. Ryan said they are waiting for the next world of warcraft, but honestly Guild Wars 2 has changed more with the formula than WoW did when it was released.

Giant Bomb mostly just dismisses MMOs outright.

#122 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -

@groin said:

@Nihilius said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Cincaid said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Nihilius said:

@Benny: Because dude they are showing off the game to a large amount of people and missing out one of the features of the game dude.

You must be new here? That's the only explanation I can think of. You could make this case for 90% of the QLs they do.

Funny enough, when they do a QL of a game they have knowledge of (see: Rock Band Blitz), people complain that it's too boring.

Which is fucking dumb. RBB they did kinda mess up a little bit in that Ryan spent 7 minutes in the menus (whereas from the beginning they should've just jumped in, played a song while Jeff explained the core mechanics, then gone to the menus and shown the powerups and stuff), but I would rather they do their research and know what the hell they're doing than fumble through a game and turn off a bunch of users. People always say "but it shows the viewer what their experience will be like jumping in!" Well, I don't know about you, but I at least read the controls and tutorials before I play a game.

This. I think people forget they are supposed to be professionals, they should figure out the basics of the game before playing it they are reviewing the game for fuck sake.

You're a subscriber but you have to be new here. You should never associate professionalism with Giantbomb.

This is the fourth time I've seen this argument. Is it a new thing to claim someone is new to the site if they don't like the way GB does everything, because it's been that way for so long? When the person quicklooking doesn't like the game, it almost always results in a misrepresentation of the game. This isn't the first time, but it's extremely bad this time because it's an MMO.

#123 Posted by Jrinswand (1696 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that one sentence does not count as a rant.

#124 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

I'm gonna say yes because there's always someone annoyed at how they play a quicklook. I don't get it. Just play yhe game yourself if you want to see some higher level play.

#125 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

I'm gonna say yes because there's always someone annoyed at how they play a quicklook. I don't get it. Just play yhe game yourself if you want to see some higher level play.

Really? You don't understand why someone would get annoyed when something they enjoy is represented poorly?

#126 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

Holy sweet fuck you guys act like little kids. The guy has a problem with the way Jeff plays, which is fine, and you jump all over him as if to defend King Gerstmann's honour.

#127 Edited by Giantstalker (1538 posts) -

Giant Bomb doesn't have an MMO guy. The genre basically gets shafted every year by five guys obligated to play these games as journalists, but rarely (if ever) actually appreciate them.

It's not inherently their fault, but since this is pretty clearly the state of things, maybe they should stay away from MMOs altogether.

Imagine if Jeff wasn't around to represent fighting games, or if Brad wasn't here to talk about competitive Starcraft II. Better yet, imagine the regular crew forced to play Dave or Drew's flight sims or Dwarf Fortress. If they can't get a guy who's got the experience, focus, and most importantly preference towards these games then they're just going to constantly mis-represent them. The MMO quick looks aren't annoying; they're just a waste of their time and talent, because they really don't care.

#128 Posted by M_Shini (550 posts) -

Not really annoyed but maybe it is another example of why they should play more of a game before doing a QL of instead of just being hay we have a game in the office lets make some content, although that would end up falling down to waiting for jeff to actually play it enough in his own time most probably which by that time the game has been out for ages already so who needs a QL by that time to make a informed choice to get it or not.

#129 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

'SpeedGlance: A Tale of Two Quicklooks'
A dramatic reenactment of these kinds of threads by Tim the Corsair

"AHAHAHA THESE QUICKLOOKS WHERE THEY DICK AROUND PLAYING THESE GAMES ARE SOOOOOOO FUNNY"

*a few hours later*

"OMFG STOP DICKING AROUND WHEN PLAYING THIS GAME I LOVE, FUCK YOU! WAAAAAAH!"

Fin

#130 Posted by Demoskinos (14579 posts) -

I think sometimes they choose the outright worst parts of a game to show but I never get angry about it.

#131 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@dennisthemennis said:

I was going to buy this game, but I use all of Jeff's opinions as my own, instead of informing myself, and now I'm not.

That was funny until I realized a lot of people here do that.

#132 Edited by Nihilius (168 posts) -

@Bucketdeth: Thanks mate, It's been made perfectly clear how 65% of the GB community reacts to opinions.

#133 Edited by Gaff (1656 posts) -

@Dagmar said:

@MikkaQ said:

Really? You don't understand why someone would get annoyed when something they enjoy is represented poorly?

I personally don't get why people can get so invested in or have such a big stake in how well a video game is played, either in private or in public such as in Quick Looks. Of course, I never was employed in the industry nor a shareholder in a publisher nor felt any such enthusiasm for a hobby since being hit by the ennui of the 30s. So, yeah. Really? People get annoyed at this?

Also: Quick Look. A "Quick" "Look" at a game. With "air quote gestures" around "Quick" and "Look".

#134 Edited by Kenobi (361 posts) -

This is Jeff's shtick. So Jeff was easily jaded by everything. It was obvious from the quicklook that he doesn't not want to play it. But as a game not subjected to Jeff's character, it deserves a second look by an mmo player, probably.

If you want a better expression of his fleshed out opinion listen to him about an hour into the bombcast. He was turned off everything about it because it became an mmo, which as a customer he has the right to be. As a journalist he knows it might need a closer look.

#135 Edited by Hamz (6846 posts) -

The entire purpose of any Quick Look is to provide an unscripted, on the fly and initial "knee-jerk" reaction from the staff. They are not there to provide a run down of an entire game and all its parts, that's what a review is for.

And as is the nature with most MMO style games, they are difficult to show off as the entire purpose of them is to enjoy an experience made from investing hundreds of hours into them.

People need to sit back, relax and bitch less as arguably an MMO is probably one of the worst genres to cover in a Quick Look let alone a review given the constantly persistent nature that stems from games in this genre.

#136 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Everybody should know everything about a game they play. Thats what im getting at here right?

#137 Posted by Karkarov (3003 posts) -

@project343 said:

@Karkarov said:

It isn't like dodging is really that important out side of some specific enemies or pvp.

I'm going to wholly disagree. I don't know what level you are, but dodging becomes something that is paramount to all encounters as you move forward. If your endurance bar is full in combat, you're doing it wrong (you're excused if you have a trait that buffs you when you have a full endurance bar). With proper dodging and movement, you can easily take on 6-8 enemies at your level and it's exciting as fuck when you do. Hell, I don't understand how someone could take on a Veteran without dodging.

I am going to wholly disagree with you. I have never "had" to dodge outside of very specific fights. Sure I could go out and purposefully fight stuff out of my league and now dodging is far more useful but I could also approach it differently and likely not need the dodge. There are also other classes with better choices. For example as a warrior I can just proc a skill that makes me damage immune for 5 seconds. I can put a huge world of hurt on multiple dudes in 5 seconds as a warrior. This doesn't even go into some shield skills, mesmers have a sword skill that makes them invulnerable while they do it, etc etc.

Dodging is not a bad thing, it can be helpful even in the very beginning of the game, but it is not "must have" in the vast majority of fights. Again you are also missing the overall point of my post. Giantbomb doesn't give good quick looks of mmo's, they don't really like mmo's, they don't really play mmo's, they do them mostly because they are expected to and that's it. If all they missed in this one was dodging you should be really happy because that means they did a better job here than they have on any mmo previously.

#138 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Everybody should know everything about a game they play. Thats what im getting at here right?

No, they should do what they have to do to make a good video. This quicklook was worse than much of the generic youtube videos. It wasn't funny, informative, or entertaining. It was disappointing, even if you weren't annoyed by their misinformation. If they need to learn the BASE mechanics of the game before being able to make a tolerable video, then I guess yea, they should make an effort to.

#139 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

@Dagmar said:

@MikkaQ said:

No I just don't understand why people assume Giantbomb is responsible for representing anything well. They're not a free advertising or PR service. Plus Quick Looks are never, have never and will never be considered proper editorial content. It's all about gut reactions and diving into something.

#140 Posted by lumberingjackal (226 posts) -

No, not in the least bit.

#141 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@Dagmar said:

@MikkaQ said:

No I just don't understand why people assume Giantbomb is responsible for representing anything well. They're not a free advertising or PR service. Plus Quick Looks are never, have never and will never be considered proper editorial content. It's all about gut reactions and diving into something.

They aren't responsible for representing anything well, but this game was represented poorly purely due to ignorance. People are pointing out their ignorance.

#142 Posted by Chop (1994 posts) -

Yes, nothing has ever irritated me more, because you know... I'm A CRAZY PERSON.

#143 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

@Dagmar said:

@MikkaQ said:

@Dagmar said:

@MikkaQ said:

They aren't responsible for representing anything well, but this game was represented poorly purely due to ignorance. People are pointing out their ignorance.

But they don't represent the game at all. That's my point. They don't work for ArenaNet, so who cares how they treat the game in a completely unscripted video? They can be as ignorant as they want, it's a quick look, they don't have any obligation to the game or it's fans.

#144 Posted by Petiew (1333 posts) -
@Giantstalker said:

Imagine if Jeff wasn't around to represent fighting games,

I don't want to be THAT guy, but Jeff isn't particuarly good at representing fighting games. He reviews the games more from a casual level as in, "does this appeal to people that aren't super deep into fighting games?"  Most of the fighting game quick looks just consist of mashing, which even Jeff admits during.
#145 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -
12:30 - It hasn't really been forth coming with actual, proper information about what the hell is going on.
#146 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@Dagmar said:

@MikkaQ said:

@Dagmar said:

@MikkaQ said:

But they don't represent the game at all. That's my point. They don't work for ArenaNet, so who cares how they treat the game in a completely unscripted video? They can be as ignorant as they want, it's a quick look, they don't have any obligation to the game or it's fans.

Well, if people want boring misinformed videos of games apparently no one does, or should care about. MMOs and Giantbomb is the place to go!

#147 Posted by yyninja (59 posts) -

Other than not moving or dodging in combat, I found nothing wrong with how Jeff was playing. He's doing what I would expect most lvl 7s who never actively played in a BWE or stress test would do.

#148 Posted by RageKage14 (69 posts) -

Why is everyone so quick to get defensive whenever someone makes a negative comment about a quick look? "DUDE WHY DO YOU CARE JUST SHUT UP!"

#149 Posted by wjb (1639 posts) -

"We're talking about dodging, man. Dodging? How silly is that? We're talking about dodging." -- Allen Iverson

#150 Posted by Mcfart (1556 posts) -

@yyninja said:

Other than not moving or dodging in combat, I found nothing wrong with how Jeff was playing. He's doing what I would expect most lvl 7s who never actively played in a BWE or stress test would do.

Yup, plus the game that GW2 steals everything from (WoW) dosen't have a dodge mechanic at all, so it's not Jeff's fault if Guild Wars 2 fails to say YO NOOBIE, THIS IS HOW WE'RE DIFFERENT FROM THAT OTHER MMO".

Since it didn't do that, then Jeff played it like anyone would play "that other MMO".

Also you Guild Wars 2 fans better go away, before you get the same reputation as the Bronies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.