Was anyone else annoyed at how Jeff was playing in the QL?

• 182 results
#151 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4424 posts) -

Nope.

#152 Edited by MackGyver (545 posts) -

Just remember the QLs are for entertainment purposes only. They're not the bible in buying a game. I've bought games before where the GB crew didn't like at all and I still enjoyed them. Don't be dismayed by some opinions on QLs. Maybe the GB crew don't present an accurate, or even adequate, picture of a game as a whole, but who cares. That's their opinion. If you like a game, then you can post about it and praise it as much as you want.

Long story short, don't take QLs seriously.

#153 Posted by megalowho (965 posts) -

Not annoyed with any opinions in the QL, just fairly bemused that they felt comfortable showing the game off after reaching level 6. Takes around an hour or two to do that.

Guild Wars 2 is a big game, and probably deserved more preparation time than what it was given. They gave PSO2 around 12 hours before filming a QL, for example. Still opinions are opinions, can't make a person excited for something that they just aren't.

#154 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

@Mcfart said:

@yyninja said:

Other than not moving or dodging in combat, I found nothing wrong with how Jeff was playing. He's doing what I would expect most lvl 7s who never actively played in a BWE or stress test would do.

Yup, plus the game that GW2 steals everything from (WoW) dosen't have a dodge mechanic at all, so it's not Jeff's fault if Guild Wars 2 fails to say YO NOOBIE, THIS IS HOW WE'RE DIFFERENT FROM THAT OTHER MMO".

Since it didn't do that, then Jeff played it like anyone would play "that other MMO".

Also you Guild Wars 2 fans better go away, before you get the same reputation as the Bronies.

Does talking out of your ass feel good?

#155 Posted by EXTomar (4690 posts) -

I don't think it is anyone's job to make a game look good on video otherwise TwitchTV would be out of business.

#156 Posted by emem (1965 posts) -

It's a bit unfortunate that he didn't show off the dodge mechanic, but that's all it is... nobody is perfect and I feel like people who really freak out and get all pissed about the way someone plays a game should probably not be telling people what they are doing wrong.

#157 Posted by falling_fast (2210 posts) -

they play games "wrong" a lot of the time. I'm mostly over it. I'm not watching quick looks to see examples of stellar playing.

#158 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

God, what a bunch of fucking brown-nosers on this forum.

#159 Posted by Mcfart (1611 posts) -

@Cataphract1014 said:

@Mcfart said:

@yyninja said:

Other than not moving or dodging in combat, I found nothing wrong with how Jeff was playing. He's doing what I would expect most lvl 7s who never actively played in a BWE or stress test would do.

Yup, plus the game that GW2 steals everything from (WoW) dosen't have a dodge mechanic at all, so it's not Jeff's fault if Guild Wars 2 fails to say YO NOOBIE, THIS IS HOW WE'RE DIFFERENT FROM THAT OTHER MMO".

Since it didn't do that, then Jeff played it like anyone would play "that other MMO".

Also you Guild Wars 2 fans better go away, before you get the same reputation as the Bronies.

Does sounding like an idiot in 7 words or less feel good?

Sure I generalized it, but Jeff obviously felt the same way, cause that's exactly how you PVE in WoW unless you're kiting.

#160 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

@Mcfart said:

@Cataphract1014 said:

@Mcfart said:

@yyninja said:

Does sounding like an idiot in 7 words or less feel good?

Sure I generalized it, but Jeff obviously felt the same way, cause that's exactly how you PVE in WoW unless you're kiting.

@Mcfart said:

@Cataphract1014 said:

@Mcfart said:

@yyninja said:

Yup, plus the game that GW2 steals everything from (WoW)

I want to see examples of "everything" that guild wars 2 is stealing from wow.

#161 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -

@Mcfart said:

@yyninja said:

I'm curious how much you've even played. GW2 has WoW's movement system... that's about it.

#162 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

GW2 is a F2P game. That means that you're Free To Pay for all kinds of junk, but you don't have to.

#163 Posted by RanmaRanma (67 posts) -

I've seen every single Quick Look this site has ever posted, and this is the 1st that I've personally felt the need to complain about. Jeff spreads a lot of misinformation in this QL and completely went in with a bad attitude to begin with. Just because he is burnt out on MMOs does not mean everyone is. For many people, WoW was their first MMO. For some, GW2 will be their first. The game is a highly polished, non-subscription based, fully featured MMO with several key innovations. It doesn't totally reinvent the wheel, but it deserves some praise for what it is. Jeff's demeanor was that of total boredom with the game, and that can taint the opinions of potential buyers. He expected "just another MMO" and that's what he got. In all honesty, I thought Jeff would love the crazy mayhem of the makeshift grouping in large scale dynamic events. I still think he would enjoy this game had he not have given up on it before even playing it. At least he could respect it.

Like it or not though, it's the misinformation that bothers me. While his lack of skill is forgivable, his lack of knowledge is not. He should have done a little more research/playing before going in. Level 7 is about 2 hours in. For an MMO that's not a good enough amount of time invested to cover the game. For instance, there is another PVP system entirely that closely mimics GW1's system. He made no mention of this system and went as far as to sat that WvW was the entirety of PVP in GW2. PVP is a big pillar in the GW formula. His knowledge of the weapon system was poor. Most importantly however, he didn't even mention that dance he was doing was the Carlton. I am truly disappoint.

#164 Posted by Godak (166 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

12:30 - It hasn't really been forth coming with actual, proper information about what the hell is going on.

I'm pretty sure that the GB crew is just blind to tooltips. It's actually kind of impressive...

#165 Posted by Zleunamme (656 posts) -

No, that could be said about any Quick Look Giant Bomb makes. Take The Madden 13 Quick look for example. The people how are way into football or the Madden franchise saw that. Thought they played real poorly. It was fun to watch because it came from a different perspective. One that is not a huge fan of football.

Ever so often, there will be someone making a forum post that GB needs to hire a JRPG guy or a MMO guy because they talked mess about their favorite game. Jeff plays games or certain genres he doesn't like just to give the general audience an idea of what the game is about. You don't have to agree with everything he says. The QL are more for entertainment purposes and not to make a hard sell on a game.

#166 Posted by laserbolts (5319 posts) -

This is nothing new. The only staff member that even attempts to be prepared seems to be Patrick.

#167 Posted by The_Nubster (2102 posts) -

@Godak said:

@Dagbiker said:

12:30 - It hasn't really been forth coming with actual, proper information about what the hell is going on.

I'm pretty sure that the GB crew is just blind to tooltips. It's actually kind of impressive...

That is the least useful tooltip ever. "Hey you have a thing, things happen when people do things to you." It doesn't even point out what status effect has been activated or tell you how to get rid of it, how it changes the way you should approach a situation, etc. Jeff said, in the QL, that the game informs you of stuff when it happens (such as status effects) but it doesn't have any guidance as to what you should be doing as your current class. A pop-up informing you that status effects exist is useless. Of course they do. It's an RPG, and RPGs have status effects.

#168 Posted by jimmyfenix (3853 posts) -

look what you have created :(

#169 Posted by Nihilius (168 posts) -

@jimmyfenix: I know. D:

#170 Posted by Vanek (382 posts) -

As someone who had never seen that game until the QL I can safely say that Jeff not dodging in no way influenced my decision to continue ignoring that game. It's a shame, but face it, they seem to play badly in every QL for some reason.

#171 Posted by FengShuiGod (1486 posts) -

Don't expect anything more than Youtube-esque entertainment from Giantbomb. It's easier that way.

#172 Posted by Jumanji (447 posts) -

@FengShuiGod said:

Don't expect anything more than Youtube-esque entertainment from Giantbomb. It's easier that way.

Ha, easier is just taking my time and money to another site.

#173 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Nope, not really.

#174 Edited by MythDarK (547 posts) -

There's one core rule I always follow: Use multiple sources of information. No matter what it is.

In this case, go check some gameplay videos on youtube, watch/read reviews on other gaming sites. Or better yet, get you hands on the game, one way or another. Maybe a friend of yours have a copy you can try for a short time.

#175 Posted by Nickieroonie (141 posts) -

I think that maybe this thread should be put to rest. Regardless of what you may want them to be, quicklooks are not always adequate representations of a game. It would be interesting to hear a concise definition of what a quicklook should be from the staff, though.

#176 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I love this website but if you make your game purchase decisions based on what you see in GB quick looks then you're a fool. The staff is hilarious but also terrible at actually showing games. Sometimes it makes me wonder how they play games for a living!

#177 Posted by Godak (166 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@Godak said:

@Dagbiker said:

That is the least useful tooltip ever. "Hey you have a thing, things happen when people do things to you." It doesn't even point out what status effect has been activated or tell you how to get rid of it, how it changes the way you should approach a situation, etc. Jeff said, in the QL, that the game informs you of stuff when it happens (such as status effects) but it doesn't have any guidance as to what you should be doing as your current class. A pop-up informing you that status effects exist is useless. Of course they do. It's an RPG, and RPGs have status effects.

That points out that the icon in question is a status effect. I do believe the icon then gives more info if you hover over it. It is a generic tooltip which informs the player about some generic information. The player can then use that information to dive deeper into the mechanics, if they so choose.

Not all classes will be able to cleanse status effects from the get-go. I believe the Guardian has access to a heal that passively cleanses a condition every few seconds. Of course, you need to go into the skills section to see what potential abilities are capable of, and Jeff really didn't seem enthused about going past the surface-level GW2 play.

#178 Edited by MurderBunny (50 posts) -

@Zleunamme said:

No, that could be said about any Quick Look Giant Bomb makes. Take The Madden 13 Quick look for example. The people how are way into football or the Madden franchise saw that. Thought they played real poorly. It was fun to watch because it came from a different perspective. One that is not a huge fan of football.

Ever so often, there will be someone making a forum post that GB needs to hire a JRPG guy or a MMO guy because they talked mess about their favorite game. Jeff plays games or certain genres he doesn't like just to give the general audience an idea of what the game is about. You don't have to agree with everything he says. The QL are more for entertainment purposes and not to make a hard sell on a game.

There is showing a game and then there is trying to make it look bad. Jeff did not show the game or even try to show important facets of the game.

#179 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

Always the same problem, a 'Quicklook' is supposed to be a quick look at a game.

However due to that nature there's often a lack of information/knowledge that tends to end up in stupid statements which are especially annoying to people who like the games and know them well. After all, it sucks thinking about other people getting the wrong idea because the Bomb-Duders didn't know better.

But this will always be the case with just about every Quicklook, unless those dudes know the games (and stuff like prequels) very well themselves.

So let's hope the Giantbomb audience is clever enough to not just build their opinion on a Quicklook and let's not get too angry about it.

#180 Posted by WilliamHenry (1202 posts) -

Gamers are the worst. Never satisfied with anything and they have too much free time to let everyone know that.

#181 Posted by Zleunamme (656 posts) -

@MurderBunny: In those situations if I felt that the GB staff was being overly negative, dismissive or unfair to a game in a QL. I make sure to point that out in the comments section of that particular quick look as should other duders. If its such an issue, send the GB staff a PM, an e-mail, or twitter to address the matter. Whether they reply is up to them. You never know unless you try.

As I said before, you don't have to agree with everything Jeff says. The Quick Look is not the end all, be all review of the game. Folks here can write a user review or a blog post to convince others why they should or shouldn't play a particular game. Everybody here including the GB staff get so hung up on little stuff. They lose sight of what is important. Everybody should just chill out and relax. It's not end of the world.

#182 Edited by bunnymud (717 posts) -

I was more annoyed by Brads snarky snort whenever Jeff made ANY minor slight about the game. This seemed to dissipate towards the end though when it seemed to sink in that the game wasn't as bad as they hoped it would be. That said, seemed Vinny was interested in the game and I wouldn't be surprised if he plays it, if even for a month.

EDIT: I actually thought Jeff would be MORE harsh on the game than he was. But if he thinks PSO2 is a better game.....well, you just can't bring someone back from that abyss.

DOUBLE EDIT: WOW!!! I thought this was a one page thing. You have to know that even though you love Giant Bomb, they don't have to like what you like.....in fact....5 times out if ten, if you're lucky, they will HATE IT TO DEATH! And that's O.K.

Because....you know....people are people...and they all suck

where is my vodka

#183 Posted by Sammo21 (3262 posts) -
@groin To be fair they have grossly mistepresented games several times in the past because theyve states assumptions as facts or even ignored crucial information. Not a big deal until you hear jeff make comments like "quick looks serve the same purpose as reviews now".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.