Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

watching videos of GW2 has soured WoW for me.

AlbinoJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlbinoJerk

I've just been watching the clips on youtube of the gamescom demos.  It is destroying my ability to enjoy my good old World of Warcraft. 

I loved the Cataclysm update and still think it did so much for one of my favorite current games, but man...  the stuff they are doing over at arenanet is making me antsy for the release.  What I'm most obsessed with is their open policy toward characters helping each other.  No kill stealing or needing to party up to complete goals or kill bosses.  If you see people trying to take down a boss, you can just help and you will get rewarded.  I just think this has the potential to increase player cooperation and ad hoc groups.  Its such a great idea and it makes my dungeon queues so terrible lately.  I wish i could meaningfully participate with other players without needing to party up or queue for 20 minutes for a dungeon.  

Anybody else find themselves itching for some of this stuff they are promising?  I thought I was about 10 years past my fanboy days, but man im psyched for this release.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FritzDude

Yes. For some reason i read Gears of war 2 for the title. But yes. I'm really looking forward to Guild war 2. And it's free to play.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jack268

No. GW2 might steal away people for a month or so from WoW, but they'll come back. They always do. And personally, I don't really care about the grouping thing. That's what I have a guild for. And if it's an open world event kind of thing, I managed to tag every quest mob on my first try during Cataclysm, even with a hundred other players competing for it, so that's not really a problem for me.

SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By SoylentGreen

I must have logged hundreds of hours into the first and the subsequent expansions, but oddly enough I haven't looked at GW2 very much.

More cooperation in PvE sounds great, though.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho

People said things like this about Age of Conan.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Guild Wars 2 does look incredible and considering I spent a good 5000 hours in the original guild wars trilogy im stoked for this, but it doesn't sour WoW for me, I love wow's style. 
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Demyx

A couple of friends and I are keeping our eye out on this game.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By RVonE

I put a couple of hundred hours in the first game and its expansions. Chances are I'll check this one out. Never cared for WoW, though.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Azteck

I've always hated WoW, but I'm willing to try this out since it's free of charge and doesn't have the ridiculous community that WoW has.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aus_azn

I'm probably going to get this. I came really late to the MMO party because I always forgot that GW was a F2P after buying the game itself.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By niamahai

2011 big MMOs

Rift
    TERA  
    Guild Wars 2
    SW: TOR *highly unlikely release this year*

i think GW2 and TOR can carve out a piece of the market for themselves, while Rift will probably achieve Star Trek Online status while TERA will be only popular in Asia.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.