What are your thoughts on underwater combat?

#1 Edited by Cataphract1014 (1316 posts) -

It is by FAR the part of the game I hate the most. I do so little damage underwater I am really starting to think I am doing something wrong. I can crit for 2.5k on land, but when I'm underwater I hit for 100. Dealing with more than one mob is means I'm dead most of the time.

If I never had to fight underwater again, I would be happy.

And I don't know how to make a poll. =\

#2 Posted by Dezztroy (853 posts) -

I quite enjoy it as a Ranger. Using pirahna as weaponry is great.

#3 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Not all moves are great (Ranged seems to be hit or miss with most classes) but the Thief harpoon skills are pretty cool.
I like it, it keeps it fresh, its hectic and fun in PvP/WvWvW.

#4 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

I don't like it at all, I feel almost helpless in the water in some situations because I can't tell if I'm far away or close to enemies.

#5 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

I think the aquatic weapons need a pretty significant buff, but other than that, the combat seems cool. From what I've heard, if you can summon an alternate weapon to use (banners and grenade kits especially), it'll make your like a lot easier.

#6 Posted by halcyonTwilight (76 posts) -

Sometimes underwater can be amazing, especially when there's a ton of stuff on your screen, but unfortunately more often than not it's rather annoying since it can be hard to see what exactly is going on. Plus with danger literally all around you, I never look forward to fighting underwater.

I also seem to be a lot squishier underwater as well. I hate those jellyfish with their AOE poison attacks.

#7 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

I don't like it in PvP. It's much less dynamic than land combat as everyone basically just stands still spamming skills (dodging/moving is awkward underwater).

#8 Posted by announakis (116 posts) -

I used to hate it as a warrior but as a ranger, it is like the rest of the game: almost too easy.

the problem is indeed real for warrior not dealing even remotely enough damage underwater. only aility 5 on the harpoon is descent, the rest is near useless. fighting a regenerating skale at your own level or slightly higher can be quite the challenge. I reckon the same seemed to be true for thieves form what I tried. but ranger deal ridiculous amount of damage with the pet...and their abilities are really fun to play. I really think that their still have massive balancing issues in this game. the discrepancy of underwater combat shows it clearly.

I do not like it in PvP either for the moment since it is really a pain to locate yourself and still seem messy. But I think once used to it it can be fun...well not as a warrior ^^ the pronblem of dodging underwater is linked to the fact that if you double tap backward, instead of escaping along a line defined between you and your target, you just sink deeper...the other overall problem is the camera that zoom in your back as soon as you approach the surface instead of just passing through it.

#9 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

Engineer underwater combat was pretty awesome from what I played. Laying down mines and torpedoes is great fun. Manoeuvring around is a hassle though.

#10 Posted by MrMazz (1036 posts) -

I'll put it this way: I am really really glad there is not a water dungeon....though they could add one.

#11 Posted by project343 (2837 posts) -

I really enjoy it. Only problem is that the weapons still need a buff (it was significantly worse in BWE1, I can assure you).

#12 Posted by Subjugation (4734 posts) -

Well, it's my favorite iteration of underwater combat yet in an MMO, but that isn't exactly setting the bar very high. I still prefer land combat by a mile (or a league harharhar).

#13 Posted by Stinkfinger75 (12 posts) -

The underwater areas are fantastic and realized very well, but it is entirely too easy to lose track of your enemy and some wonky movement. Since they went the extra mile to create these areas with such care they should have offered a slightly altered combat control scheme for underwater battles. Maybe something like the Metroid Prime games where you could lock on to a character and "orbit" them while you attack.

#14 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

Underwater combat in general is really lame in video games.

#15 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Fun. But also. Finicky.

Especially hate the invulnerability frames when downed people are breaking the water. Generally too finicky with hitboxes, making melee weapons a real hassle. Loving underwater exploration though, and underwater combat is fun in that context. Also quite the Ruins defender in Raid on the Captricorn.

P.S. Melee range weapons always deal more dps, that's especially true underwater, albeit of course it's more risky - and in the case of underwater combat, way finicky.

#16 Posted by wemibelec90 (1806 posts) -

As underwater combat goes, it's not terrible. Everything seems to at least work most of the time.

Of course, underwater sections of any video game are usually the worst part. I absolutely hate them.

#17 Posted by Humanity (9881 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

As underwater combat goes, it's not terrible. Everything seems to at least work most of the time.

Of course, underwater sections of any video game are usually the worst part. I absolutely hate them.

I think it's actually quite an accomplishment that the underwater combat is as good as it is. I just think it's boring more than anything as I can't use half of my skills, but apart from that compared to water combat in literally any other game it's pretty great.

#18 Posted by Turkfinn (84 posts) -

As an engineer, I absolutely love underwater combat because grenades are stupid good underwater. Give it a try if you're an engineer and watch yourself take down groups of mobs very, very quickly.

#19 Posted by Mageknight (124 posts) -

@Turkfinn: I just tried this today and holy crap. Massive AOE damage on zero cooldown. The only downside is that you don't get a toolbelt skill underwater, but it doesn't really matter when you can clear mobs that fast!

#20 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I don't love it, but I think it's a fun way to very the gameplay/scenery a little. Exploring down there is great though, especially when you find things like the ruins of Lion's Arch from GW1.

@MrMazz said:

I'll put it this way: I am really really glad there is not a water dungeon....though they could add one.

I could see an entire expansion revolving around the underwater stuff, with a new aquatic race and home city being added.

#21 Posted by Turkfinn (84 posts) -

Now try using the grenades underwater, pop elixir U and THEN see how fast things die. It seems kind of stupid broken but so much fun.

#22 Posted by Wuddel (2099 posts) -

I didn't even knew you can use utility abilities under water ... love the torpedoes!

#23 Posted by fox01313 (5088 posts) -

Playing most of the classes in this I don't mind it now that I have everything unlocked for weapon/necro skills underwater. Just glad now that most of the classes have some variety to the moves in addition to just swim in one spot to shoot. I think if there was more of it (combat in water), it might get a little tiring but right now early on it's rather light on the underwater stuff so it's manageable.

#24 Posted by Wuddel (2099 posts) -

Yeah. Grenades are overpowered under water.

#25 Edited by Nights (618 posts) -

I love the underwater environments, but I dislike the combat. I don't find it half as enjoyable as land combat. I'm glad they implemented the way they did though.

#26 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

I just try to make sure I have the fire flower for most underwater stages. Makes killing those fish way easier...

...wait, we are talking about the same game right?

#27 Posted by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

I just try to make sure I have the fire flower for most underwater stages. Makes killing those fish way easier...

...wait, we are talking about the same game right?

Yes. That's in line with my experience as well.

#28 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@Wuddel said:

Yeah. Grenades are overpowered under water.

I still haven't learned what my underwater abilities do (I literally haven't read the tooltips). I just faceroll my keyboard when I'm underwater.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.