What is your favourite Jeremy Soule song?

#1 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2561 posts) -

I'm about to start editing the next Lincolncast, and have been listening to some Jeremy Soule whilst waiting for fucking to send me his personal recording (he said he'd send it in 8 hours about 9 hours ago).

After trawling through a bunch of his work, I've come to a rather heretical conclusion regarding my favourite track of his;

I'd say second place for me goes to;

So, set me straight!

What is your favourite Jeremy Soule track? (and yes, I spell favourite with a u like one should)

#2 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

I have to agree with you about the Skyrim theme as his best work. That moment in the trailer where it really kicks in has solidified it as one of my favourite video game themes.

For Guild Wars though, it has to be this one.

So many good memories.

#3 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

I like the original Prophecies (now GW2) theme best (I guess it's the nostalgia).

Never played Nightfall, but this sounds pretty epic:

#4 Posted by AndrewB (7611 posts) -

Had originally posted a track from Icewind Dale 2 which wasn't actually composed by Jeremy Soule. Oops. Anyway, it's still not hard to come up with something.

And the best reason to fire up Dungeon Siege in a post Diablo 3 world:

#5 Posted by Atlas (2444 posts) -

The main theme from Oblivion, if for no other reasons than pure nostalgia. Gives me chills every time I hear it.

#6 Edited by aquamarin (555 posts) -

I'm a Harvest Dawn fan myself

Gonna namedrop Watchman's Ease cause I like the name, It's just a blah song though. Those have sentimental value but if I was picking one for it's overall quality, maybe

#7 Posted by kogasu (148 posts) -

@braveortega said:

I'm a Harvest Dawn fan myself

Same.

I really love this song and a lot of just the softer songs of the Oblivion soundtrack. I wish it came in CD format.

I feel I can't really judge though as ES III and IV are basically the only games I've played with Soule's music. I hope to get Skyrim soon as well as its soundtrack.

#8 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -
#9 Posted by Demoskinos (14822 posts) -

@Aronman789 said:

Every answer needs to be this.

#10 Posted by green_sky (49 posts) -

Haven't played the game yet but love this one. Magical!

#11 Edited by Bollard (5530 posts) -

Soule makes the best fucking damn music urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I got the Skyrim soundtrack cause I love all his work, literally every time I hear Oblivion songs it sends shivers down my spine because they bring back awesome memories.

Anyway, hmm I think the track I like the most at the moment is Sovengarde:

Although, Masser is pretty awesome too:

@Maystack: Oh my God yes. Soule <3 you got me again with those damn memories.

#12 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

My extent with Soule is The Elder Scrolls and Guild Wars 2 (to my knowledge) and right now I'm far more enamored with the GW2 soundtrack. The Grove is great and is what drew my attention and interest to the Sylvari.

And while this isn't Soule, it really sealed the Sylvari for me. It's a fantastic little video.

#13 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Really hits that nostalgia gland.

#14 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

FUCK YOU IM SENDING IT

#15 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3295 posts) -

Some of my favorite (fuck the Commonwealth) Soule tracks are ambient stuff that works best in the context of exploring a game environment, so it's hard to say for me. I will, however, maintain that this is the best GW1 track:

#16 Edited by project343 (2823 posts) -

@braveortega said:

I'm a Harvest Dawn fan myself

Man. Talk about teleporting you to a place and time. My life just faded away and I got teleported to Cheydinhal. I can even smell my launch 360 heating up a bit after 6 hours of straight playing in 2006.

#17 Edited by Benny (1953 posts) -

Zees:

And Zees:

And why not this too:

#18 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -
@Aronman789 said:
This x10 
 
listening to it brings back some great memories
#19 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

I could not possibly explain why I love this one to death, I just do. And I know I am 100% nobody else shares this opinion I hold.

#20 Posted by believer258 (11895 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic

I spell favourite with a u like one should)

Unless you're American, in which case the commonly accepted grammar rule is without a U. Because we're, you know, a different nation with different people and different customs on a very different area of the world. There are many similarities, yes, but there are still differences and language is part of that.

Anyway, my favorite Jeremy Soule song is the Oblivion soundtrack. I can't pick out the actual song names but I remember liking that game's soundtrack better than Skyrim's or Morrowind's, though the latter two are definitely no slouch.

Online
#21 Edited by shinboy630 (1139 posts) -

Of the ones that have already been mentioned I would pick the Factions theme and Over the Shiverpeaks, along with the Morrowind Theme. I'll add 2 more that I enjoy that havn't been mentioned yet.

Also, my copy of the Skyrim soundtrack is signed! You jelly everyone?!?

Edit: don't know why this image got shifted to the left, I blame the uploader cause it was acting weird.

#22 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

@Aronman789 said:

This.

#23 Posted by Kowbrainz (923 posts) -

I haven't really looked up his other works, but I really liked this tune he did for Dawn of War:

#24 Posted by TheHT (11237 posts) -

if i can cheat a bit, then this:

Online
#25 Posted by AlexW00d (6274 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@selfconfessedcynic

I spell favourite with a u like one should)

Unless you're American, in which case the commonly accepted grammar rule is without a U. Because we're, you know, a different nation with different people and different customs on a very different area of the world. There are many similarities, yes, but there are still differences and language is part of that.

You may be a different nation, but you're using our language, and you're using it wrong. If Australians and Canadians can manage to spell things right, why the fuck can't the Americans?

#26 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@believer258 said:

@selfconfessedcynic

I spell favourite with a u like one should)

Unless you're American, in which case the commonly accepted grammar rule is without a U. Because we're, you know, a different nation with different people and different customs on a very different area of the world. There are many similarities, yes, but there are still differences and language is part of that.

You may be a different nation, but you're using our language, and you're using it wrong. If Australians and Canadians can manage to spell things right, why the fuck can't the Americans?

To be fair, spelling things without the "u" is more logical. That's about the only thing Americans do more logically than the rest of us though. They're still using stone age measurement systems and think that water freezes at 32 degrees.

#27 Posted by AlexW00d (6274 posts) -

@UssjTrunks: I wouldn't call it logical at all, or and our don't sound the same when pronounced in words.

#28 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

Oh, I forgot this was Jeremy Soule. I was on a Jeremy Soule kick a few years back and discovered this even though I didn't play the game

#29 Posted by Respighi (23 posts) -

Putt-Putt Travels Through Time gets me every single time!

#30 Posted by believer258 (11895 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@UssjTrunks: I wouldn't call it logical at all, or and our don't sound the same when pronounced in words.

OK, quick question: Do you guys say "fav-OR-it" or is your pronunciation more along the lines of "fav-OUR-it"?

It's a goddamn letter and it seems like you guys look down on Americans and American English for petty differences. Why? What the fuck is wrong with not putting a U in favorite? It's not the issue I care about, it's the attitude I see brought against Americans for spelling differences. Whenever the topic comes up, I always see someone from a different English speaking country smugly saying "Hey! I spell this word the RIGHT WAY Unlike those dirty redneck country hick Americans!" I hate, I hate that attitude with a fucking passion. It's hateful, spiteful, ignorant, thickheaded, and completely unnecessary.

As an aside, I don't mean to generalize all other English speaking people that way. But I see it often enough to know that there's a portion of the population that's outspoken about such petty, stupid fucking things.

Online
#31 Posted by AlexW00d (6274 posts) -

@believer258: I don't say fav-OR-it at all, no. I say favourite. Also you're the one that was being an asshole to the clearly in jest point Cynic made; don't be an asshole if you can't take it from others.

Also your point about people looking down on Americans for spelling things incorrectly is fucking hilarious and massively hypocritical. But hey, whatever.

#32 Posted by believer258 (11895 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@believer258: I don't say fav-OR-it at all, no. I say favourite. Also you're the one that was being an asshole to the clearly in jest point Cynic made; don't be an asshole if you can't take it from others.

Also your point about people looking down on Americans for spelling things incorrectly is fucking hilarious and massively hypocritical. But hey, whatever.

Not of me, it isn't; I don't look down on others simply for their nationality. Assuming that all Americans do is a massive and faulty generalization.

I don't care that it's in jest. It's annoying and it's constant. You'd be annoyed, too, if a large and varied group of people that you belonged to was constantly joked about.

Online
#33 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

So glad to see that this thread turned into a pissing match. Bravo guys, really, job well done.

Back to Soule now. I heard this song quite a bit while questing and I never tired of it.

#34 Posted by AlexW00d (6274 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@AlexW00d said:

@believer258: I don't say fav-OR-it at all, no. I say favourite. Also you're the one that was being an asshole to the clearly in jest point Cynic made; don't be an asshole if you can't take it from others.

Also your point about people looking down on Americans for spelling things incorrectly is fucking hilarious and massively hypocritical. But hey, whatever.

Not of me, it isn't; I don't look down on others simply for their nationality. Assuming that all Americans do is a massive and faulty generalization.

I don't care that it's in jest. It's annoying and it's constant. You'd be annoyed, too, if a large and varied group of people that you belonged to was constantly joked about.

Yeah this happens all the time, almost entirely by Americans... You see where this is going?

#35 Posted by believer258 (11895 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@believer258 said:

@AlexW00d said:

@believer258: I don't say fav-OR-it at all, no. I say favourite. Also you're the one that was being an asshole to the clearly in jest point Cynic made; don't be an asshole if you can't take it from others.

Also your point about people looking down on Americans for spelling things incorrectly is fucking hilarious and massively hypocritical. But hey, whatever.

Not of me, it isn't; I don't look down on others simply for their nationality. Assuming that all Americans do is a massive and faulty generalization.

I don't care that it's in jest. It's annoying and it's constant. You'd be annoyed, too, if a large and varied group of people that you belonged to was constantly joked about.

Yeah this happens all the time, almost entirely by Americans... You see where this is going?

Yes, I do see where it's going. Americans think they're better than everyone else and make fun of everyone else so we deserve some back, yadda yadda. At no point in time have I ever seen an American on a forum go "and yes, I spell favorite without a u like one should", nor do I as an American hear a lot of other Americans put down other countries or peoples in general, aside from some racist jokes pointed toward people who have a large population here, in America, but that's Americans making fun of other Americans and each group generally makes fun of each other in pretty much the same amount and racism itself can sometimes be the butt end of jokes.

I'm just guessing here, but you sound really prejudiced against us as a whole without having ever met more than a few Americans or visited here.

Online
#36 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

@Snipzor said:

I could not possibly explain why I love this one to death, I just do. And I know I am 100% nobody else shares this opinion I hold.

God, yes. Just...yes.

The music from Morrowind is so damn good. I wish I could put it into words how the Morrowind soundtrack, and that track in particular, makes me feel but I just can't do it.

Anyway, "Nerevar Rising", a reworking of the title theme from Morrowind is pretty great too:

#37 Posted by AlexW00d (6274 posts) -

@believer258: No I have been there quite a few times, most people were lovely, just like everywhere. But a large number - relative to what I would expect of course - thought themselves some sort of higher being compared to us. And you know, I couldn't really care less. It is run to watch you be over defensive about people you don't know though :D

#38 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

RE: American English vs. English...English

I'm an American and I've spelled certain words with superfluous U's my entire life (for reasons that remain a mystery to me), but no teacher has ever corrected me or called me out on it or anything.

#39 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@believer258:

We get it. You're a proud Amurican.

#40 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2561 posts) -

@believer258: Woah there buddy, I think you're taking my jab a little bit too seriously. And to answer your initial supposition, I am indeed Australian. I didn't mean any offence, so take a breath, and listen to some of this awesome music.

@Aronman789 @Demoskinos @FancySoapsMan @Jrinswand @TheHT

To all of those who responded the Morrowind theme music, I... I just can't side with you. Mainly because all of the right elements are still there after all of these years, but because I never played Morrowind, I dont get the nostalgia hit that others do. Nowadays, the theme just seems a little low-fi.

For example, I like this arrangement of the morrowind theme more than the original;

@shinboy630: I AM SO JELLY RIGHT NOW.

#41 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3295 posts) -

@believer258: @AlexW00d: Guys. Cool it. You're arguing over a dumb, universal joke and it's long past the point of irrelevant to this thread.

#42 Posted by Nihilius (168 posts) -

I really think this should have been the main theme but I love it.

Also Streets of Whiterun is very nostalgic even though the game has only been out 8 months.

#43 Posted by Veektarius (4817 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:

@AlexW00d said:

@believer258 said:

@selfconfessedcynic

I spell favourite with a u like one should)

Unless you're American, in which case the commonly accepted grammar rule is without a U. Because we're, you know, a different nation with different people and different customs on a very different area of the world. There are many similarities, yes, but there are still differences and language is part of that.

You may be a different nation, but you're using our language, and you're using it wrong. If Australians and Canadians can manage to spell things right, why the fuck can't the Americans?

To be fair, spelling things without the "u" is more logical. That's about the only thing Americans do more logically than the rest of us though. They're still using stone age measurement systems and think that water freezes at 32 degrees.

Actually, you selected the one example where I don't feel the metric system has an advantage. Okay, if you're a chemist, you care what temperature things freeze or boil at. If you're a normal person, you put it in the freezer or the oven. What you really care about is, "Is it hot out?" And the Fahrenheit system is nicely oriented such that a temperate climate fits pretty nicely along the 1-100 range (yes, there are outliers, but not distant ones) rather than the -10 - 35(?) range you'd have for Celsius.

#44 Posted by xyzygy (9981 posts) -

The Morrowind theme. Don't know why people keep saying Skyrim... It's just the Morrowind theme, but faster, with some fucking men shouting illegible nonsense.

The overlying music sounds much better when played slow and is just generally awesome. It kind of sounds stupid when sped up in Skyrim.

#45 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2561 posts) -

@Veektarius: What normal person considers 1 degree fahrenheit even remotely temperate? Or 100 degrees? What? A good day lies within about 19 degrees Celsius to 26 degrees Celsius (66.2 - 78.8 degrees Farenheit). As you can see, both sets sound fucking arbitrary, whereas Celsius / Kelvin are more useful to those of us who work in Engineering, etc (like myself).

Goddamn it, lets not get into this. I agree that you prefer Fahrenheit for whatever reason you wish to conjure, and I prefer Celsius because of likewise inclinations.

@xyzygy: I like how you boil down an all-male orchestra doing an interesting rendition of ancient war-chant inspired music (which is very fitting for skyrim's thematic background) to "some fucking men shouting illegible nonsense". Oh, and of course, they are singing the dragon's language - and, if I'm not mistaken - a verse quite indicative of the plot. As an aside, do you also hate the bagpipes, good sir?

#46 Posted by shinboy630 (1139 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: for the record I think may be refering to the temperate zone, where temperatures range from 0-100F (or thereabouts) over the course of the year. I agree with him that in these areas Fahrenheit makes a lot more sense when it comes to weather. Anyway, I think before this turns into a total flame war we all need to take a step back and take a look at this, it sums up this situation pretty well.

#47 Posted by Veektarius (4817 posts) -

@shinboy630 said:

@selfconfessedcynic: for the record I think may be refering to the temperate zone, where temperatures range from 0-100F (or thereabouts) over the course of the year. I agree with him that in these areas Fahrenheit makes a lot more sense when it comes to weather. Anyway, I think before this turns into a total flame war we all need to take a step back and take a look at this, it sums up this situation pretty well.

Yes, that is what I meant.

#48 Posted by newhaap (421 posts) -

@AndrewB: Ooh I love the Easthaven theme... It somehow sounds cold and windy, fits the setting really really well if not enhances it...

#49 Edited by AndrewB (7611 posts) -

@newhaap said:

@AndrewB: Ooh I love the Easthaven theme... It somehow sounds cold and windy, fits the setting really really well if not enhances it...

The compositions for all of the Infinity Engine games are some of the greatest pieces of music I've ever heard. Here's the Icewind Dale 2 track I was going to post (could have sworn he worked on at least a couple of the tracks for that game, but maybe not). Jeremy Soule, Michael Hoenig, and Inon Zur are all amazing.

There's also this one from Icewind Dale:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.