What race will you play first in Guild Wars 2?

• 124 results
#51 Posted by MentalDisruption (1622 posts) -

I can't decide between Charr, Sylvari, and Asura :\. I'll have all 3 eventually, but no idea what I'm doing first.

#52 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

Charr Elementalist -> Asura Thief -> Sylvari Mesmer -> Human Warrior/Guardian -> Norn Ranger for me.

@Sweep

said:

I don't understand why people play Human characters in MMO's. To me that always seems so lacking in imagination. I would much rather play something gnarly. I loved my Troll in wow, they were easily the most original and interesting race.

Well, Divinity's Reach is the only major city we've seen anything significant of, but I imagine that given how incredible it already looks people may base their decision on that. And I don't know if you can change the poll, but the giant, viking-like race are called norn, not nords.

Fuck, I can't change the poll but I changed the second post to reflect this. Cheers anyway.

#53 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

I did not know that the Norn could turn into other animals. This changes everything.

#54 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Well, they were already so boring, that Arenanet had to give them something.  

#55 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3254 posts) -
@tarquinbb said:
@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@tarquinbb said:

i'm going to remake my guildwars 1 character.  therefore, i'd imagine that human is a nobrainer for the majority of people who loved their guildwars 1 char :/ besides that fact, humans allow more for the imagination because they are diverse race by nature...  i really like the look of all races - but i don't really care for the non-human races cliched and weird/religious cultures.  no doubt their starter areas are littered with quests and lore to try to get you attached to their backstory - but frankly i don't give a damn, i want to be my own character with my own feelings and beliefs.  all of the non-human races might as well be night elf from world of warcraft. according to the poll, and hearing from friends, charr is going to be way overcrowded... doesn't that make charr the dull option?

Why the hell does being another race prevent prevent you from infusing your own choices into the character? That's what the personal story is for. Every player character is supposed to be something of an anomaly - that's why you'll never see any charr guardian or norn thief NPC's. It's also why you're the one saving the goddamn world. And a larger population instantly makes a race uninteresting? Now you just sound like an annoying hipster. Every race has their own lore limitations, including the humans, your option as a human player with (theoretically) free will is to decide whether you want to ignore your race lore.  By the way, the humans have the most blatant "wierd/religious culture" in the game. The charr are the only race with no form of transcendent belief structure.
   then you agree that the non-human race cultures are cliche?  i was clearly referring to the cliche 'nomadic norn' or 'savage charr' cultures and not dissing on religion.  maybe it's just bad memories of EOTN.  i wasn't really excited by the new races.
I was implying that if you call the non-humans cliche, then you must admit that the humans are at least as cliched. I believe neither of those things are true.

@Sweep said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

Charr Elementalist -> Asura Thief -> Sylvari Mesmer -> Human Warrior/Guardian -> Norn Ranger for me.

@Sweep

said:

I don't understand why people play Human characters in MMO's. To me that always seems so lacking in imagination. I would much rather play something gnarly. I loved my Troll in wow, they were easily the most original and interesting race.

Well, Divinity's Reach is the only major city we've seen anything significant of, but I imagine that given how incredible it already looks people may base their decision on that. And I don't know if you can change the poll, but the giant, viking-like race are called norn, not nords.

Fuck, I can't change the poll but I changed the second post to reflect this. Cheers anyway.

No problem, good of you to update the post regardless.
#56 Posted by tarquinbb (25 posts) -

i'm surprised there aren't more people out there who'll want to recreate their human from guildwars 1...

i hope to eventually play as all races, but nothing will be as sentimental as human.  the other races mean nothing to me, besides asura being kinda cute.

#57 Posted by Benny (1952 posts) -

Honestly going to have to see the full character customization options in the retail version of the game before choosing. Definitely leaning toward the thief profession, but I'd have to make a more lithe and less bulky character for it to work. From what i've seen it should be possible.

Anyone know if they are showing anything new at PAX or just the same gamescom stuff?

#58 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Sylvari mannnn.

#59 Posted by IamTerics (409 posts) -

I plan on going Ranger so it came down to either Human or Sylvari.

#60 Edited by Lotus (204 posts) -

I'm going to be playing a female human necro, Elona looking, because my main in gw1 is a F dervish/necro and i wanna be like her ancestors in the new game, also  i believe i heard that you can create your character with cantha or elona features, and also somehow put it in your biography that you belong to those regions, thats cool.

#61 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@IamTerics said:

I plan on going Ranger so it came down to either Human or Sylvari.

I always found the gigantic feral nordic mountain folks with warg-like shapechanging abilities to be 'natural born rangers'. Hell - their introduction quest is 'The Great Hunt'.

AKA the Norn. 
#62 Edited by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2093 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@Maystack said:
It sucks that Norn aren't more popular. They can turn into bears people! BEARS!
The Official Giant Bomb Guild Lincoln Force (TM) should run every holiday event as a mob of norn rangers with bear pets and the Bear Form elite. All shall tremble before our might.

I remember during a past Dragon's Festival that there was a district literally filled with G.O.L.E.M's and they all started the conga, running around the monastery.... that was weird.

- - - - - - -

I might try out either The Norn or Charr engineer. I would totally also have a Golemancer Asura too.

#63 Posted by byterunner (305 posts) -

Sylvari, human, or Norn

#64 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Norn. There is no other option.

#65 Edited by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Charr, everyone elses animations apart from the Asura look pretty shitty and it would drive me crazy.

Edit - unsure about Sylvari, haven't seen enough footage to decide.

#66 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

I kinda want to play as Asura thief now, which is weird because I usually hate the rogue/hunter classes in MMO's. I like the dual pistol thing, too. Having said that, Sylvari elemental also looks pretty fun. Plant people!

@Seppli: Is there any footage of the Norn in their spirit forms in GW2?

#67 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@Sweep said:

I kinda want to play as Asura thief now, which is weird because I usually hate the rogue/hunter classes in MMO's. I like the dual pistol thing, too. Having said that, Sylvari elemental also looks pretty fun. Plant people!

None that I've seen. Apparently the animal shapeshifting is going to be a racial elites. I remember having read something along that line. Must still be work-in-progress.
#68 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@Sweep said:

None that I've seen. Apparently the animal shapeshifting is going to be a racial elites. I remember having read something along that line. Must still be work-in-progress.

The GW2 wiki says that the Norn choose which spirit animal they will be aligned to as part of their origin story. Is it actually a full transformation like a wow druid? If so, how are the Crow Norn going to work?

#69 Posted by RobbieMac (534 posts) -

There is another thread like this in the forums, just a heads up.   Will be playing Asura and for profession we will see how they redesign the Mesmer class, if it strays too far from what the original class was like I might play Guardian instead.

#70 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -
@Sweep said:

@Seppli said:

The GW2 wiki says that the Norn choose which spirit animal they will be aligned to as part of their origin story. Is it actually a full transformation like a wow druid? If so, how are the Crow Norn going to work?

I kinda hope it works like the WoW worgen transformation, in the sense that it is purely cosmetic and alterable at will. Racials just tend to lead to more balance issues on top of class issues.

Would imagine the crow would just be a model change? I mean they have Z axis movement as per the underwater combat but flying would break the game surely.
#71 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@Sweep said:

@Seppli said:

@Sweep said:

That's the extent of my knowledge. Likely the crow racial elite would turn you into a murder of crows increasing movement and mitigation/evasion.
#72 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@Adamsons said:

@Sweep said:

@Seppli said:

I kinda hope it works like the WoW worgen transformation, in the sense that it is purely cosmetic and alterable at will. Racials just tend to lead to more balance issues on top of class issues.  Would imagine the crow would just be a model change? I mean they have Z axis movement as per the underwater combat but flying would break the game surely.
In matched instanced and official tournament PvP, the playingfield will be completely even. Everybody gets the same gear and every class can chose their utility and elite skillset from a set choice of options. Racial elites won't be part of matched instanced PvP or be available to everybody when playing in that environment.
#73 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@Sweep said:

@Seppli said:

@Sweep said:

That's the extent of my knowledge. Likely the crow racial elite would turn you into a murder of crows increasing movement and mitigation/evasion.

Further investigation revealed these images on the GW2 wiki:

Image source. Uploaded and copyrighted by ArenaNet in Feb of this year. These are just armour sets, right? They can't be the full transformed state. That would be lame :/

#74 Edited by Adamsons (877 posts) -
@Seppli said:

@Adamsons said:

@Sweep said:

@Seppli said:

I kinda hope it works like the WoW worgen transformation, in the sense that it is purely cosmetic and alterable at will. Racials just tend to lead to more balance issues on top of class issues.  Would imagine the crow would just be a model change? I mean they have Z axis movement as per the underwater combat but flying would break the game surely.
In matched instanced and offcial tournament PvP, the playingfield will be completely even. Everybody gets the same gear and every class can chose their utility and elite skillset from a set choice of options. Racial elites won't be part of matched instanced PvP or be available to everybody when playing in that environment.
Yeah, I'm aware. 

It was more of a PvE concern, as - you wouldn't want your human ele sucking in comparison because they don't have an Asuran racial skill. Hoping that racials don't end up as cornerstones.

GW2 wiki - Bear form http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/2/22/BearForm.jpg
#75 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@Sweep

I believe we see the animal form in the GamesCom Trailer. There's a shot with Norn and right after the same shot with animalistic humanoids. That's gotta be it (at least how it was back when they recorded that, guessing that was in the Norn trailer too). 

NORN FORMS BEING SHOWN AT 4:11-4:17

Yeah - it's definitely the Norn Animal Forms in that shot. This ManBearPig being at the front. Then there's Snowleopard and Raven and Wolfman in back.
#76 Posted by chronicsmoke (996 posts) -

ME AND MY CHARR ARE GONNA FUCK SHIT UP!!!!

#77 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3254 posts) -
@Sweep said:

From front to back: Bear, Snow Leopard, Raven, Wolf
That's from the GamesCom trailer. Raven Form looks a little weird to me, but the rest are pretty spot-on.

@Adamsons said:
@Seppli said:

@Adamsons said:

@Sweep said:

@Seppli said:

In matched instanced and offcial tournament PvP, the playingfield will be completely even. Everybody gets the same gear and every class can chose their utility and elite skillset from a set choice of options. Racial elites won't be part of matched instanced PvP or be available to everybody when playing in that environment.
Yeah, I'm aware. 

It was more of a PvE concern, as - you wouldn't want your human ele sucking in comparison because they don't have an Asuran racial skill. Hoping that racials don't end up as cornerstones.

GW2 wiki - Bear form http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/2/22/BearForm.jpg
ArenaNet has said that every racial skill will be balanced to be slightly weaker than similar skills from certain professions. As far as benefiting a specific professions more than others, that shouldn't be the case if it's as easy to change roles in combat as it purportedly is.
#78 Posted by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

Asura Thief and Human Guardian will be my first classes probably.

But damn, I want to play every profession. I will probably go insane on release day.

#79 Posted by Bravestar (379 posts) -

Raven Norn. I don't care if he can fly. I just want to punch people in the face as a giant raven.

#80 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Tentatively Human Guardian, although I've also been entertaining the thought of Norn as well. Are their racial restrictions on professions (classes) like WoW had? And are racial abilities a thing/known yet? I hope that they aren't super impactful/game changing because then I'll be pigeonholed into certain race/profession combos due to my obsession with min/maxing.

And I totally plan to roll one of everything if that is possible. My old tendencies are bubbling up inside of me.

#81 Posted by Jimbo (9800 posts) -

I was thinking Norn Ranger, but those animal forms look lol shit.

#82 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -

Human, I'm not into the weird strange races... unless their race specific skill is just mind blowing, i doubt ill stray lol

#83 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3254 posts) -
@weeman105 said:

Tentatively Human Guardian, although I've also been entertaining the thought of Norn as well. Are their racial restrictions on professions (classes) like WoW had? And are racial abilities a thing/known yet? I hope that they aren't super impactful/game changing because then I'll be pigeonholed into certain race/profession combos due to my obsession with min/maxing.

And I totally plan to roll one of everything if that is possible. My old tendencies are bubbling up inside of me.

No race/profession restrictions, though some races won't have NPC's of certain professions for lore reasons. There are no racial "traits", but there are race-specific healing, utility, and elite skills (the norn transformations pictured above are elites).
#84 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam: Right on. So they won't be anything important enough to dictate which race you choose? I guess you wouldn't know that until we know what they all are though.

#85 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I'm likely gonna play a Norn Warrior or Guardian first. Got a kickass name in mind.

#86 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

@weeman105 said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam: Right on. So they won't be anything important enough to dictate which race you choose? I guess you wouldn't know that until we know what they all are though.

Their plan is to have everything balanced and for people to play whatever they want. Your guild could comprise of nothing but rangers and it should still be possible to play through the game, they don't want to force people into playing particular classes or races. I doubt the balance will be 100% perfect at launch, but I'm sure if, say, the charr warrior is noticeably better than everything else, they'll do something about it quickly. So I wouldn't worry about that.

#87 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Charr, cause they are badasses.

#88 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

@Sweep said:

@Seppli said:

@Sweep said:

Just for the record, none of the biography questions have an impact on your ingame abilities, just the story. Choosing a raven doesn't mean you'll never be able to become a bear, etc.

#89 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3254 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind: Which is fortunate, because if that was the case no one would ever see the Raven story.
#90 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Concept Art of Norn Raven form: 

In game models of Norn forms: 
#91 Posted by drac96 (670 posts) -

I'll play as a Char, but I really wish the Tengu were playable as well.

#92 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Charr, without question.

#93 Posted by Ragnarok512 (161 posts) -

Asura, partly because it seems no one else wants to roll them.

#94 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3254 posts) -
@Ragnarok512: I dunno. The spike in popularity for the asura after their race-week ended seems to be massive. Probably because ANet had gotten the race-week formula down to perfection by then.
#95 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam: It certainly made me more interested. That and the fact that, if I may be so bold as to draw the connection, it may be like the gnomes in WoW that were absolutely embarrassing to be killed by. It's all about making the other dude furious. Who knows, maybe more people figured out that Felicia Day is doing Asura voice overs and were influenced in that regard. Orrrrrr, maybe they saw that art of the awesome cube city. That really got my attention.

#96 Posted by Ragnarok512 (161 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam: Ah, I haven't kept up with the race weeks. I had decided I was going to make one a long time ago. /hipster

Main reason I want to roll them is for their animations. I think they look really good.

#97 Posted by lavaman77 (567 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

CHARR MOTHER FUCKER.

#98 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3254 posts) -
@Subjugation said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam: It certainly made me more interested. That and the fact that, if I may be so bold as to draw the connection, it may be like the gnomes in WoW that were absolutely embarrassing to be killed by. It's all about making the other dude furious. Who knows, maybe more people figured out that Felicia Day is doing Asura voice overs and were influenced in that regard. Orrrrrr, maybe they saw that art of the awesome cube city. That really got my attention.

To me, it's less that they're doing the whole gnome-humiliation thing and more that when the little fuckers get up in your face with their condescending expression, pointy teeth, and giant, reflective eyes you regret ever thinking they looked cute.

@Ragnarok512 said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam: Ah, I haven't kept up with the race weeks. I had decided I was going to make one a long time ago. /hipster

Main reason I want to roll them is for their animations. I think they look really good.

My first roll was always between asura and charr, which I guess worked out for me because those are the races with the most unique animation sets.
#99 Posted by Godak (166 posts) -

Leaning towards Charr, but the Asura are also interesting...

*looks at the poll*

Really? I'm choosing between the most and least popular races? XD

#100 Edited by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

Feels like the servers are going to be 80% retarded cat-taurens.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.