What's Your BWE2 Feedback to ArenaNet?

#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Just did my part, and gave them my feedback. The following is a copy 'n paste of it. Feel free to add your own. I'd love to read it.

Killing Fields - Respawn Timers and Difficulty

Respawn timers are set too low. Enemies often seem to respawn almost instantly after getting killed. Killing an enemy feels like it has zero impact on the gameworld. A circumstance that can make the experience frustrating. Especially when exploring Tyria on my own.

TTK (time to kill) seems a tad bit too high overall, which further amplifies the problem of too short respawn timers. Shaving off a couple seconds of average TTK on every encounter, and significantly increasing default respawn timers, could do wonders for Guild Wars 2, as far as I’m concerned.

Killing enemies has to become more rewarding – and I’m not talking XP and gold and loot. I’m talking of killing enemies and let them be dead for awhile. Let their broken and defeated corpses bare witness to my power and progress. I vanquished these foes! I am the victor – and this is my killing field.

Of course I’m not against dynamically decreasing respawn timers to accommodate for large groups of players, but killing foes should feel more impactful than it does now. Semi-instant respawns do effectively deny such satisfaction – and can become gamebreakingly frustrating.

Cheers, and many thanks for the awesome that is Guild Wars 2 – respawn timers not withstanding.

#2 Posted by makari (597 posts) -

Stop shutting down the servers. Thanks!

#3 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1453 posts) -

Getting stuck behind objects. I sent that in even though I could easily warp to another waypoint.

#4 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

I sent the one report when an event glitched, but other than that I didn't find anything I thought needed feedback. Well I probably did, but then forgot about it five minutes later when something else awesome happened.

#5 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2561 posts) -

@Maystack said:

I sent the one report when an event glitched, but other than that I didn't find anything I thought needed feedback. Well I probably did, but then forgot about it five minutes later when something else awesome happened.

^that^

A bunch of times, I found something and was like "hey, I should report that" - but then immediately got sidetracked by something amazing. I DID however, on multiple occasions, badger and into making the reports in my stead : P

aaaaah the luxuries of being a guild leader.

ED: On a serious note though, my main issue with the game was respawn timers. Both of enemies and of events themselves - especially enemy respawns in platforming areas. Goddamn.

Also, some heart quests just took altogether way too long.

#6 Posted by Bollard (5530 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic said:

Also, some heart quests just took altogether way too long.

Yep this was bugging me too. Some of them there just isn't enough stuff to do. I threw down a few bug reports here and there.

With the respawn timer stuff it really started getting on my nerves mid personal story, there I was trying to fight a damn boss which had surrounded us with a wall of flames, and fucking scales kept waltzing in through the fire every 3 seconds when they respawned. What happened was every time I killed the scales, the boss spawned more Flame Legion. And when I killed the Flame Legion the bloody scales had respawned. So I was never able to revive my teammates and was so close to dying. Luckily my minions killed the boss for me while I just tried to survive ahah.

#7 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2561 posts) -

@Chavtheworld: Oh man - yeah, that sounds rough.

I never had anything that bad, but having slimes immobilize you just before you're about to make a particularly difficult jump is one of the most frustrating things in any game ever (never happened mid jump though, so who knows how mad I could have been).

#8 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1232 posts) -

Didn't get to play since I was not home, but is it really true they didn't remove melee rooting themselves on casting? That is extremely worrying. I don't want to play a stationary melee character or forced to not use a lot of skills, that fucking sucks.

How was the servers?

#9 Posted by Giefcookie (600 posts) -

I mainly used the ingame tools for commenting on event lenght and some weird enemy pathing I found.

Mainly playing as a thief I did my part in commenting on the changes they made to the traits and damage values.

They have commented on some of the respawn and event timing values being out of whack just for testing purposes.

#10 Posted by Tarkhein (71 posts) -

@RIDEBIRD said:

Didn't get to play since I was not home, but is it really true they didn't remove melee rooting themselves on casting? That is extremely worrying. I don't want to play a stationary melee character or forced to not use a lot of skills, that fucking sucks.

How was the servers?

Some skills root, some skills don't. As an example, my Guardian was rooted while performing Whirling Wrath (Greatsword), whereas he was not while performing Zealot's Defense (Sword) or Cleansing Flame (Torch). Servers were pretty good, had no issues once logged in, however, logging in was occasionally flaky.

#11 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1232 posts) -

@Tarkhein: I know, and I can see why I guess, but it feels _horrible_ being stopped in your tracks and stuck in animation doing anything.

#12 Posted by Tearhead (2168 posts) -

Some of the Personal Story quests seem wildly off balance. There was one in particular where it was me and an AI character against like 5 enemies, and I just kept dying.

#13 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

My suggestions would be to implement an in game clock (come on now) and the ability to shift-click link recipes from crafting skills. I would also like to have the option to remove the ability queue. If I hit an ability more than once it would almost always go off a first and second time, especially irksome when playing a thief that has limited initiative to perform abilities. I'm too used to spamming abilities until they go off from WoW to just drop the habit cold turkey. Diablo hasn't exactly helped either.

The only actual bug report I submitted (that I remember) was regarding the trading post. When you looked at the transactions tab, switching between "Items I'm Buying" and "Items I'm Selling" resulted in having everything in that window being in a completely incorrect language. I'm almost positive all of my information was in German.

#14 Posted by shinboy630 (1139 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

I would also like to have the option to remove the ability queue. If I hit an ability more than once it would almost always go off a first and second time, especially irksome when playing a thief that has limited initiative to perform abilities. I'm too used to spamming abilities until they go off from WoW to just drop the habit cold turkey. Diablo hasn't exactly helped either.

I played a thief and felt the same way. It was actually really useful as a sin in gw1, where you could order your attack chain on like 1-6 or whatever then just press them all in a line and have the chain go off. It worked in that game because if your target died, the skill would not have a target and not trigger, which obviously does not work with GW2's combat system. But yeah many a time did I find myself leaping death blossom-ing (3rd skill with dual daggers) after an enemy was dead, thus wasting 5 initiative on nothing.

#15 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@RIDEBIRD said:

@Tarkhein: I know, and I can see why I guess, but it feels _horrible_ being stopped in your tracks and stuck in animation doing anything.

It's only the more powerful skills that root you. It's a balance thing and it's absolutely necessary.

#16 Posted by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@Tearhead said:

Some of the Personal Story quests seem wildly off balance. There was one in particular where it was me and an AI character against like 5 enemies, and I just kept dying.

I ran into a lot of those, you just need to reach the suggested level and it becomes a breeze. Even if you're just one level under, it might be unbeatable.

#17 Edited by RIDEBIRD (1232 posts) -

@UssjTrunks: It really isn't. It's just bad design. Could be circumvented in a billion ways. I can't stress how jarring and shitty it is to move and then be stopped by you performing an action.

As it was in BWE1 and as I've read was the same in BWE2 warriors are just rooting people and instaraping with Hundred Blades. Obviously the balancing aspects of that does not work, what so ever.

#18 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@RIDEBIRD said:

@UssjTrunks: It really isn't. It's just bad design. Could be circumvented in a billion ways. I can't stress how jarring and shitty it is to move and then be stopped by you performing an action.

As it was in BWE1 and as I've read was the same in BWE2 warriors are just rooting people and instaraping with Hundred Blades. Obviously the balancing aspects of that does not work, what so ever.

Those warriors are stunning/immobilizing people. That's a core mechanic in this game's combat.

As for rooting, it is a matter of balance. Some skills would just be too powerful without rooting you. If you don't want to be rooted, use weaker skills that don't root you.

And it isn't just melee skills that root you. Ranged skills like the warrior's "volley" and ranger's "rapid fire" also root you. Can you imagine how OP these skills would be if they allowed the player to move while firing them off?

#19 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1232 posts) -

@UssjTrunks: But tons of MMOs have the best skills castable on the move. What's the harm in being to move and having to stay in range of your target while performing a longer cast as melee? I'm somewhat OK with castbars, it's just that you can seriously run forward and get stopped by the game for a good 2 seconds before you are allowed control again. It removes the emphasized fluidity and movability in combat and reduces it to standard MMO caster combat, which is what I really hate, hence I play melee. I had no issues as elemnetalist, as they can cast all of their attacks on the move - even meteor storm and such.

I guess it's ranged for me then, so I can move freely with almost all of my attacks. And no, I don't see how they're OP at all, it's all a matter of tweaking damage values. And your point about not using skills is sort of valid I guess, but what the hell should I use then? I almost got by using rifle and dual axes as warrior as at least 80% of the skills allow you to move and not be stopped. As a thief I did somewhat better except that sword was unusable, and that heart strike removes control completely and launches you off in a random direction towards your target.

I'm starting to realize this is an issue with how devs view MMO combat, where as I much much much prefer the arcady action-before-everything model of WoW, the devs seem to be of the flashy animations and deliberate and careful strategy school. I can get used to it I guess, but damn, I just want to not be stopped by my own actions to use them.

#20 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

@RIDEBIRD: Here's a video showing a thief with sword / pistol demonstrating the need to judge exactly when to use the skills that root you in place while you 'cast' them.

The build is pretty similar to this:

Knowing when to use quickness is key as it lets you connect for the entire duration of the skill. You're right that they have prioritized strategy in PvP and it is a shame when lag and other mmo tropes can get in the way of that.

Maybe there are better ways to balance it but I think what they've done so far is ok.

As far as suggestions go, I'd like to see the ability to observe PvP and the ability to duel other players as well as item previewing. There's a lot of small touches that they are being made aware of and should have done by release or shortly after.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.