Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

When do you think Guild Wars 2 will be released?

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

A few things to keep in mind:

• The release of Guild Wars 2 will not correspond in any way with the anniversary of GW1 (April 28). ArenaNet has said that they want the games to be independent of each other.
    • Guild Wars 2 is currently in alpha-testing.
    • Closed beta-testing for Guild Wars 2 will occur before the end of 2011.
    • The possibility of open beta-testing will be explored as information is gained from the closed beta, and subsequently, the release will be determined by changes to be made after beta.
    hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By hugh_jazz

End of 2012 at the earliest, I'd say. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if it slipped way into 2013.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Vexxan

Q3 2012.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By TheHT

Q4 2011. I can't imagine waiting longer for this.Hell, I can't imagine having waitied, what was it, 5 years for this. Then again things only would've gotten hard once you got a good look at the game last year, which is when I started drooling over it.

Realistically, if all goes smoothly probably Q2 2012, or Q1 2012 if things go really smoothly. I remember hearing in a GC interview that what they're focusing on at this stage is putting in more content, which I guess could really mean there's lots more to do or little. 

I have a feeling that, since they're in alpha, they'll be announcing the final profession soon, and a release would probably be less than half a year away just because most things in the game would be out there and there wouldn't be much left to reveal at shows (which they seem to have been all into) other than a release date.

Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Riddell
    @Hugh_Jazz said:

End of 2012 at the earliest, I'd say. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if it slipped way into 2013.

Not sure if serious?
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jimbo

Jan - April 2012.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Seppli

Either just before or just after Summer 2012. Definitely before the next WoW expansion hits sometime in late 2012. Otherwise it'll be early 2013. I don't want to wait that long.

I voted April-June 2012, thinking it will come out in early May. Late spring. I guess the optimal release window for them would be a couple of months after SW:TOR and before the next WoW expansion hits the market. I'm assuming SW:TOR will release in December 2011 and WoW in December 2012 - since high Summer is shit to release games, it has to be late Spring or early Fall. Of course GW2 would be even more awesome with an extra year of work put into it, but I'd really hate to wait until 2013 to sink my teeth into the game. Diablo 3 is another factor. Mayhaps Activision/Blizzard just keeps that one up their sleeves to try and steal GW2's thunder.

Closed Beta will happen around SW:TOR's release and there will be Open Preview Weekends in early 2012. The Preview Weekends for GW1 literally blew my mind way back when. I expected it to be better than WoW from all the fun I had with the story instances and the global PvP tournament (I was one of the first Warriors to learn 'Gash' from a mob and I dominated with Sever Artery and Gash for a night, until some Korean Monk got me figured out - I hated that every Warrior got that combo at release out of the gate), though finally it didn't hold up in comparison with World of Warcraft - lacking a persistent world. That's gonna change with GW2!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seppli
    @TheHT said:

Q4 2011. I can't imagine waiting longer for this.Hell, I can't imagine having waitied, what was it, 5 years for this. Then again things only would've gotten hard once you got a good look at the game last year, which is when I started drooling over it.

Realistically, if all goes smoothly probably Q2 2012, or Q1 2012 if things go really smoothly. I remember hearing in a GC interview that what they're focusing on at this stage is putting in more content, which I guess could really mean there's lots more to do or little.   I have a feeling that, since they're in alpha, they'll be announcing the final profession soon, and a release would probably be less than half a year away just because most things in the game would be out there and there wouldn't be much left to reveal at shows (which they seem to have been all into) other than a release date.

I'm guessing they're mostly done with 'building the world' and 'creating assets' and have already populated large parts of it with content. Guessing some starter areas and racial hubs still need some love and some of the zones still need to be populated with dynamic events and such.

It all comes down to their tools. How efficiently and cleanly can they populate the world with Dynamic Event Chains. How much effort does it take to build outstanding and unique 'trademark' dynamic events like the Shatterer fight. From the sheer amount and quality of content I've seen thus far, they've got a great engine and insanely efficient tools. Implemtation of content must be child's play.

In fact, their business model hinges on large parts on their abiltiy to efficiently produce unique quality content - since they'll shoot for at least one annual boxed expansion. From the technological genius of GW1 (I started my GW1 experience with a tiny 100KB client), I trust ArenaNet's and GW2's setup are up to the task.
    RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By RobbieMac

From the interviews I have watched it seems there is still a lot of material/ideas that the team is discussing and playing around with.  Probably won't see an open beta until summer of next year and then even more tweaking will push it to late 2012.  They have shown that they want to make this game perfect and after all of the time they have taken already why not look at every single detail/issue from alpha and beta testing.

It will be a long road until release, but that just means an even better product.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Buscemi

Wow, I don't even see it possibly being out until it's done.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Subjugation

If it's any later than summer of 2012 I will lose my mind. I almost wish I didn't know about the game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Seppli
    @RobbieMac said:
    From the interviews I have watched it seems there is still a lot of material/ideas that the team is discussing and playing around with.  Probably won't see an open beta until summer of next year and then even more tweaking will push it to late 2012.  They have shown that they want to make this game perfect and after all of the time they have taken already why not look at every single detail/issue from alpha and beta testing.  It will be a long road until release, but that just means an even better product.

It all depends on the Closed Beta which is scheduled for late 2011. Beta meaning the game's gonna be feature and content complete and the project's entering polish mode. Without a doubt they're shooting for a 2012 release window and I don't think they're going for Holiday 2012.
    Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Seppli said:
    @RobbieMac said:
    From the interviews I have watched it seems there is still a lot of material/ideas that the team is discussing and playing around with.  Probably won't see an open beta until summer of next year and then even more tweaking will push it to late 2012.  They have shown that they want to make this game perfect and after all of the time they have taken already why not look at every single detail/issue from alpha and beta testing.  It will be a long road until release, but that just means an even better product.
     It all depends on the Closed Beta which is scheduled for late 2011. Beta meaning the game's gonna be feature and content complete and the project's entering polish mode. Without a doubt they're shooting for a 2012 release window and I don't think they're going for Holiday 2012.
    I agree with you in theory (and I did vote for Q2 2012), but I think we know what "polish" means to ArenaNet. They're willing to tear down animations, event chains, and even entire gameplay systems to build something stronger in their place.
    RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By RobbieMac
    @Dark_Lord_Spam said:
    @Seppli said:
    @RobbieMac said:
    I agree with you in theory (and I did vote for Q2 2012), but I think we know what "polish" means to ArenaNet. They're willing to tear down animations, event chains, and even entire gameplay systems to build something stronger in their place.
    That is what I am trying to get at, they have shown when it comes to GW2 they are by no means afraid to scrap an entire concept and start all over if it doesn't work.  In all honesty I don't think a time of year really concerns Arenanet.  They know who will be interested in their game and all of the press that they have been getting increases that audience.  I would say we all know that when it comes to GW you normally aren't on the fence, you are either going to get it or you aren't.  Also to date there is no other MMO that is even close competition.  The closed beta will bring them a lot of info, but that will be really tested if/when they do an open beta.  Arenanet listens to the community, if there is a unanimous outcry about something Arenanet will look in to it because they care.

I believe we won't see GW2 until Q3 or Q4 2012.
    MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MezZa

I'm guessing Q3 2012. Spring or early summer could be a likely spot too, but I think they'll go for a later date than that. If it's not out before winter I get the feeling they'll just skip over the holiday season and wait til 2013.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Subjugation

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@Seppli said:
    @RobbieMac said:
    From the interviews I have watched it seems there is still a lot of material/ideas that the team is discussing and playing around with. Probably won't see an open beta until summer of next year and then even more tweaking will push it to late 2012. They have shown that they want to make this game perfect and after all of the time they have taken already why not look at every single detail/issue from alpha and beta testing. It will be a long road until release, but that just means an even better product.

Yeah, that's what scares me too. They really emphasize in the videos that I've seen that they really believe in the iterative process. Just because something is one way in this build doesn't mean it will be that way, or even be there at all, in the next build. Le sigh, tugging at my heart strings.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By benpicko
    @Riddell said:
    @Hugh_Jazz said:

Not sure if serious?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.