Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Will GW2 Beat Rift

RIFTfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RIFTfreak

I've been playing RIFT now for 3 months and I must say GW2 and SWTOR will have to be awesome to pull me away. I feel GW2 will just be another pretty game with no good gameplay 

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Aronman789

Since GW2 doesn't have a monthly fee, then yes, more people will play it.

Rift is meh anyway.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By melcene

If GW2 keeps the same price model as GW, then it's quite possible that it will pull people away from Rift.  There will always be people out there that are against pay-to-play.

Avatar image for deactivated-608a5477560df
    deactivated-608a5477560df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Well the original Guild Wars in my opinion was a great game with great gameplay. 

Too me, from what I've seen in videos and reading the website they've kept what made GW great and expanded other aspects to make it better.
    RIFT, didn't catch my eye, but GW2 definitely did.
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By ESREVER

The Top10 reasons to be interested in GW2 really reignited my hype for the game. Which is unfortunate, because its probably still a ways off.

RIFT was alright. The combat was nothing to write home about. GW2 combat looks very refreshing.
    Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Adamsons

Beat it how? Critically / commercially?

It obviously draws in an additional audience because it has no monthly fee, but regarding quality of gameplay and longevity its pure speculation.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By EuanDewar
    @CaLe said:
    " GW2 will blow Rift out of the water. From what I've seen of it, it's doing everything right that other MMOs do wrong, from the start. "
    Yup, GW2 seems like an MMO that is doing what normal RPG's do well inside the MMO setting. Its not letting itself get bogged down by the clunky side of that genre.
    RIFTfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RIFTfreak

Original GW wasn't all that great though. I feel they hype of the game could be its downfall. 

JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By JJGIANT

@RIFTfreak: Is Rift doing well? Interesting to find out.
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @RIFTfreak: You should take a look at what Guild Wars 2 is doing with its gameplay. I just checked out a bit on RIFT (granted not much) and it looks like it plays like a normal MMO where you click and wait for it to die.
    Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Skogen

My biggest concern with GW2 is the lack of information in regards to PvP thus far. Pre-NF GvG was fucking amazing. I just hope they can replicate those days with the new systems in place.

They shouldn't have any problems beating out games like Rift. The no monthly fee is enough to sell gangbusters.

RIFTfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RIFTfreak

Rift is actually doing pretty well and the players I interact with seem to love the game. I nutted up when I say GW2, but with each video release it seems to lose more and more interest for me. I guess I'll have to play it first.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By EuanDewar

This is the video that got me interested. Everything about it looks fantastic.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @RIFTfreak said:

"I feel GW2 will just be another pretty game with no good gameplay  "

GW2 looks like far more than just a "pretty game".  Everything they're doing seems to be focused around getting the crap grindy gameplay out of MMO's and actually having content and gameplay that's really fun to play. Then again, for people who only like leveling up and being able to show off gear.. I don't think those types will enjoy it much.

Old Republic on the other hand looks like it's trying to be WoW with lightsabers.  Every time we see it, it looks worse and worse.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jimbo

GW2 does look good, but the hype for it is getting a little OTT.  A lot is being taken on faith.

RIFTfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RIFTfreak
    @EuanDewar:  BEAUTIFUL!
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vexxan
    @EuanDewar said:
     This is the video that got me interested. Everything about it looks fantastic.
    I am very excited to get my hands on this game and that video just makes it worse. I fucking need that game, NOW.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By melcene
    @Sasran said:
    " @RIFTfreak: You should take a look at what Guild Wars 2 is doing with its gameplay. I just checked out a bit on RIFT (granted not much) and it looks like it plays like a normal MMO where you click and wait for it to die. "
    Age of Conan tried doing the same thing.  The combat was much different than your normal MMO.  Unfortunately, it didn't go over well with the general populace.

As for numbers on Rift, I can't find anything concrete, but apparently in March it sold better than Dragon Age 2 or Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, also both released in March.

As for Guild Wars 2... I dunno.  I didn't think the original Guild Wars was *that* great of a game.  But we'll see what happens.
    RIFTfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RIFTfreak
    @melcene:  Well GW itself wasn't a huge buyer too.

Maybe I just have to wait for SWTOR instead, but afraid of DOA on that game as well.
    RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By RobbieMac

Guild Wars 1 was a great game, sure there were some issues.  Though it has been now 6 years since its release giving the team lots of time to reflect on what they feel needs to be fixed.  Keep in mind the Guild Wars team listens to the community so things that people had issues with in Guild Wars 1 will be addressed.  This game will surpass RIFT, I can guarantee you that.

The Guild Wars team is taking everything people love from MMO's and putting it into one game, but at the same time making it easier for new comers to jump in and not get overwhelmed. At the same time they are not watering it down so much that it isn't enjoyable for the more hardcore players.  Half the details on Guild Wars 2 hasn't even been discussed or released on the game and from what they have said so far, it seems very promising.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.