Would i like this game?

#1 Posted by mano521 (1215 posts) -

I suggest reading this before answering something like "i cant tell you that, it would be up to you" I can tell you what i didnt like about other games related to this.

Now ive got a couple of friends who are really pushing this game on me. They also pushed WoW onto me which i disliked immensely. I hated the auto-attacking, the fetch quests, how there were no really interesting quests and if there were there was no reason to really read up on them. I didnt enjoy the idea of only leveling up just to get into pvps and raids after 40+ hours of grinding. Loot drops dont interest me enough by itself.

Now i know im no huge fan of MMOs in general, but looking at them playing at a glance was slightly interesting. The combat seemed like something i would have to pay attention to instead of just sorta sitting around using a couple of powers, waiting for my dude to kill whatever i was attacking. And i thought it was interesting how there are different movesets for each weapon, but im not sure if that should be enough for me to get a game.

Im just asking for an honest opinion of others who have played the game. You see what i didnt like about other games in the genre. Is this game going to be worth a purchase for me?

Thanks in advance for the input.

#2 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

if you disliked WoW immensely i would imagine you would hate this too.

sure this is still pretty different from WoW but its still an MMO and from what you said you will hate it.

how about checking the Quicklook for a 'taste' of what to expect.

#3 Posted by EpicSteve (6471 posts) -

The game is going to boil down to an MMO. Yes, they might have a more dynamic combat system and more fluid quest lines but you're still playing a post-WoW MMO. Depending on how much you dislikes WoW, I'd at least give this a chance if you got the time and get to do something with you friends. But it's still a fantasy world, you'll use swords and fireballs to kill giant rats and at some point dragons.

#4 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@mano521 said:

I suggest reading this before answering something like "i cant tell you that, it would be up to you" I can tell you what i didnt like about other games related to this.

Now ive got a couple of friends who are really pushing this game on me. They also pushed WoW onto me which i disliked immensely. I hated the auto-attacking, the fetch quests, how there were no really interesting quests and if there were there was no reason to really read up on them. I didnt enjoy the idea of only leveling up just to get into pvps and raids after 40+ hours of grinding. Loot drops dont interest me enough by itself.

Now i know im no huge fan of MMOs in general, but looking at them playing at a glance was slightly interesting. The combat seemed like something i would have to pay attention to instead of just sorta sitting around using a couple of powers, waiting for my dude to kill whatever i was attacking. And i thought it was interesting how there are different movesets for each weapon, but im not sure if that should be enough for me to get a game.

Im just asking for an honest opinion of others who have played the game. You see what i didnt like about other games in the genre. Is this game going to be worth a purchase for me?

Thanks in advance for the input.

If you like the exploration bits of something like Skyrim, you might like Guild Wars 2 - because exploration-wise, it's one of the best games to date, regardless of genre. It's still in many ways a regular hotkey MMO, just with a higher emphasis on positioning and movement, as well as active evasion.

It's a brilliant game, and worth getting into. It's up to you to decide if you can or can't get into it, and if you're willing to spend as much time with it, as it takes to fully appreciate what it does. It's a grand concept and there's lots to see and do - and volumes to learn about how things are done in GW2.

#5 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Combat is way better and faster than most RPG's but at core you'll be doing a lot of killing as is custom to rpg's and especially MMO's but fights (save for bosses and big events) are pretty quick and slick.
There's a lot to see and do and its certainly a unique MMO, I really like it (I was a big fan of WoW too though) but that's mostly because the world they crafted is immensely detailed and lively.
 
If any of those friends live nearby or you know someone who has the game I really recommend you play it for a hour to get a feel.
I was sold in the beta by the combat but now that I have the full game I love every aspect of it!

#6 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@mano521 said:

I suggest reading this before answering something like "i cant tell you that, it would be up to you" I can tell you what i didnt like about other games related to this.

Now ive got a couple of friends who are really pushing this game on me. They also pushed WoW onto me which i disliked immensely. I hated the auto-attacking, the fetch quests, how there were no really interesting quests and if there were there was no reason to really read up on them. I didnt enjoy the idea of only leveling up just to get into pvps and raids after 40+ hours of grinding. Loot drops dont interest me enough by itself.

Now i know im no huge fan of MMOs in general, but looking at them playing at a glance was slightly interesting. The combat seemed like something i would have to pay attention to instead of just sorta sitting around using a couple of powers, waiting for my dude to kill whatever i was attacking. And i thought it was interesting how there are different movesets for each weapon, but im not sure if that should be enough for me to get a game.

Im just asking for an honest opinion of others who have played the game. You see what i didnt like about other games in the genre. Is this game going to be worth a purchase for me?

Thanks in advance for the input.

If you like the exploration bits of something like Skyrim, you might like Guild Wars 2 - because exploration-wise, it's one of the best games to date, regardless of genre. It's still in many ways a regular hotkey MMO, just with a higher emphasis on positioning and movement, as well as active evasion.

It's a brilliant game, and worth getting into. It's up to you to decide if you can or can't get into it, and if you're willing to spend as much time with it, as it takes to fully appreciate what it does. It's a grand concept and there's lots to see and do - and volumes to learn about how things are done in GW2.

I think the game can be what you put into it too. Especially the combat. You could just stand around like a wanker or you can be more active (which pays off). I've done both standing around and being active and I can say it's definitely worth it to run around while fighting. I've survived some fights that I probably shouldn't have and at the end of them I was a little tense and excited from the fight. The veteran mobs become easy if you know when to get out of the way where as if you just stood there, you'd be dead in 4 hits.

Same with exploration. I spent an hour or two last night getting all the points of interests and vistas for the main human city and starting area. When I was done, I was amazed at the detail they put into just that area alone. You'd never run into most of that stuff if you didn't go exploring. Although I didn't see any reason to go run around unless you're specifically looking for POI's or vistas. But if you 100% do everything on a map you get a little reward at the end which is nice.

I haven't tried the WvWvW or sPvP yet, but coming from Dark Age of Camelot, I'm happy to not have to grind my way to max level and get decent gear to compete in WvWvW.

I did get a little burned out after the early access, but last night I play about 4 hours and had a blast. It also feels really good to not have to pay a subscription fee. It's like a weight is lifted off my shoulders and I don't have that feeling like I have to play just to make sure I don't waste the $15 a month.

#7 Edited by Dark_Lord_Spam (3152 posts) -

@mano521 said:

I suggest reading this before answering something like "i cant tell you that, it would be up to you" I can tell you what i didnt like about other games related to this.

Now ive got a couple of friends who are really pushing this game on me. They also pushed WoW onto me which i disliked immensely. I hated the auto-attacking, the fetch quests, how there were no really interesting quests and if there were there was no reason to really read up on them. I didnt enjoy the idea of only leveling up just to get into pvps and raids after 40+ hours of grinding. Loot drops dont interest me enough by itself.

Now i know im no huge fan of MMOs in general, but looking at them playing at a glance was slightly interesting. The combat seemed like something i would have to pay attention to instead of just sorta sitting around using a couple of powers, waiting for my dude to kill whatever i was attacking. And i thought it was interesting how there are different movesets for each weapon, but im not sure if that should be enough for me to get a game.

Im just asking for an honest opinion of others who have played the game. You see what i didnt like about other games in the genre. Is this game going to be worth a purchase for me?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Jams echoed a lot of my feelings. If you specifically hate raiding for access to superiority, this game has essentially none of that crap in it. You can participate in pretty much any of the variety of content from the outset straight through to the end of the game. And, while it's sure to vary from person to person, the PvE in this game doesn't feel anywhere near as grind-y as the MMOs I've tried and given up on in the past.

#8 Posted by Ragnarok512 (160 posts) -

As said, the amount of exploration is outstanding. By level 15 I was gaining access to areas faster than I could complete them, and at my current level (36) there's still at least 3 entire areas I haven't even touched as well as 4-5 areas I'm only partly done with. It's actually starting to become fairly daunting.

#9 Posted by Nickieroonie (141 posts) -

Make a character on a friend's account? GW2 is pretty unique, so I think that it's best if you try it yourself. Give it ~2 hours and you'll have an idea of what the game is about.

#10 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Personally I enjoy exploring an MMO's world, and leveling to the max level. Once I get there however I quickly burn out having to rearrange my schedule so I can do raids and such. Would I like GW2?

#11 Posted by announakis (114 posts) -

If you like having the music stuck in your head 24/7, then you will like (man, this music does not leave me alone, ever T_T)

#12 Edited by mano521 (1215 posts) -

@Nickieroonie: @Dark_Lord_Spam: @Jams: @Seppli: @TaliciaDragonsong:

Thanks so much for the info everyone. I've got a good friend living in a couple houses nearby who has the game. i think ill start a game on his account to see what kind of feel i get from it.

I also was wondering about what kind of quests i would be seeing if i got it. I noticed my friends in a quest which required them to actually talk to some people in a manor or something and then there was a trial. If quests can be this "elaborate" for an mmo i may actually buy this game. My major problem with mmos is the constant flow of "kill these dudes, maybe they'll drop this. if they do, bring __ back to me" quests

#13 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@mano521: There's no real quests besides the main story line. You often just happen upon events or do some basic things (usually a choice of 3-5 different things to do including collecting, killing or reviving allies) for a heart (mini reputation? Takes like no time at all) NPC.
 
The world feels more alive because of this, stuff happens around you, with or without you, and there's still an amazing amount of storytelling going on around you.
#14 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@mano521: There's no real quests besides the main story line. You often just happen upon events or do some basic things (usually a choice of 3-5 different things to do including collecting, killing or reviving allies) for a heart (mini reputation? Takes like no time at all) NPC. The world feels more alive because of this, stuff happens around you, with or without you, and there's still an amazing amount of storytelling going on around you.

Did you play Warhammer? I'm guessing the events are similar to those public quests?

#15 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@Barrock: Aye, only the difference here is that they're way more fun, scale with groups and have multiple endings depending on if you win or lose.
Fail to protect a explorer and you won't get to the cave and collect eggs for her, the eggs in turn will spawn a boss monster so that's missing out.
There's also some towns that can be lost to enemy forces but that rarely happens since everyone's in the zones anyway and its mass murdering time.
#16 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Barrock: Aye, only the difference here is that they're way more fun, scale with groups and have multiple endings depending on if you win or lose. Fail to protect a explorer and you won't get to the cave and collect eggs for her, the eggs in turn will spawn a boss monster so that's missing out. There's also some towns that can be lost to enemy forces but that rarely happens since everyone's in the zones anyway and its mass murdering time.

One more question. Did you buy the regular version or the special deluxe digital version?

#17 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@Barrock: Regular, the deluxe was not worth the price for a few extra silly thingies.
#18 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Barrock: Regular, the deluxe was not worth the price for a few extra silly thingies.

But... shiny loot.

Aww man, you can only access the banker for 5 days?

#19 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@Barrock: I can just walk over to any crafting station or big city and access my banker just as good.
Best part is the system called Collections. With a simple rightclick you can store up to 250 of a material (wool, linen, iron or copper ore, wood, everything useable in crafting) in your collection.
Saves a lot of bankspace and keeps the focus on the adventure. Just press "Add to Collections" and the items disappear from your bag, and you can retrieve them again at any crafting station or regular banking spots.
 
So many simple but oh so needed things in this game, I love it.
#20 Edited by project343 (2812 posts) -

@Jams: Maaaaan. You have come a long way from the cynical, Guild Wars 2 hater that you were...

@mano521 said:

@Nickieroonie: @Dark_Lord_Spam: @Jams: @Seppli: @TaliciaDragonsong:

Thanks so much for the info everyone. I've got a good friend living in a couple houses nearby who has the game. i think ill start a game on his account to see what kind of feel i get from it.

I also was wondering about what kind of quests i would be seeing if i got it. I noticed my friends in a quest which required them to actually talk to some people in a manor or something and then there was a trial. If quests can be this "elaborate" for an mmo i may actually buy this game. My major problem with mmos is the constant flow of "kill these dudes, maybe they'll drop this. if they do, bring __ back to me" quests

Well, you have a branching personal story with a ton of dialogue and some really interesting objectives--this is completely instanced off from other players. This is the closest thing the game has to 'quests' and this is exactly what the court thing is.

The rest of the content in the game is mostly comprised of events. All the events are added to a player's UI when they enter a fairly large vicinity it; no grouping required, you just start helping out and get rewarded for participation. They can range from defending an objective from an onslaught (like a hoard mode in other games), escort events, collection events, kill events, dialogue events, etc.. They throw a lot of ambient dialogue and contextualize the events really well. The scripting in some of them is also fantastic: if you follow these NPCs after they're done, they actually continue on with their story and sometimes lead directly into other events half a mile away.

The collection events are picking up stuff from killing things and giving them to an NPC, but because they're an event, it's a cooperative experience. You can give them a couple things then walk away if you want and other players may finish the event for you and you'll still get your XP. The mobs are drop these materials 100% of the time.

#21 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

@project343 said:

@Jams: Maaaaan. You have come a long way from the cynical, Guild Wars 2 hater that you were...

DON'T BLOW MY COVER!

#22 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3152 posts) -

@Jams:

#23 Edited by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Hello, stranger. You should totally get it.

Online
#24 Posted by project343 (2812 posts) -

I want an update on this. Where's this story at? Are you a devout Guild Wars 2 worshipper yet? Or did you shy it away in the corner?

#25 Posted by Bassario (146 posts) -

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!! ...

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@Jams:

Sorry, this was an amazing response to "Don't Blow my cover" Forgive my ignorance but what is that image?

Anyway... I just wanted to add: I sat down yesterday and watched the full half an hour "Angry Review" by Angry Joe on Guild Wars 2. If you are still on the fence, or for anyone on the fence about deciding on this game please go and watch it. It is funny in places and honestly not a waste of time and quite frankly if you watch that review and you are STILL not convinced then don't buy it coz u probably wont get your moneys worth :P for the remaining 98% of us come and join the MMO revolution

#26 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

@Bassario said:

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!! ...

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@Jams:

Sorry, this was an amazing response to "Don't Blow my cover" Forgive my ignorance but what is that image?

I believe that's from the movie "The Omen" (1976). It's the part where the devil child admits he likes Guild Wars 2.

#27 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3152 posts) -

@Bassario: It's a relatively well-known scene from the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

#28 Posted by gunninkr (135 posts) -

If you like rpg's the stroy portion is exellent.

The MMO fighting style, loot gathering and unique fetch questing is all about persaonal opinion. You can take it or leave it but the fighting is more enjoyable in this then WOW to me.

I think one thing that might really sell you, especially if you play with friends is the "Dynamic Evetns". For me it is one of the best things in the game. Even playing by yourself for example, you can be looking for something specific or just exploring all by yourself and all of a sudden you find yourself with a huge group of people taking on a boss. It's an awesome feeling. I think the Guid Wars team has made great model for keeping evryone involved in the game even if they play alone.

*If you have kick ass friends just convince one of them to buy it for you if they want you to play that bad. Then you are golden either way!

#29 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@mano521 said:

Now ive got a couple of friends who are really pushing this game on me. They also pushed WoW onto me which i disliked immensely. I hated the auto-attacking, the fetch quests, how there were no really interesting quests and if there were there was no reason to really read up on them. I didnt enjoy the idea of only leveling up just to get into pvps and raids after 40+ hours of grinding. Loot drops dont interest me enough by itself.

Now i know im no huge fan of MMOs in general, but looking at them playing at a glance was slightly interesting. The combat seemed like something i would have to pay attention to instead of just sorta sitting around using a couple of powers, waiting for my dude to kill whatever i was attacking. And i thought it was interesting how there are different movesets for each weapon, but im not sure if that should be enough for me to get a game.

If you don't really like MMOs, you probably won't like this either. Although GW2 fixes a lot of the issues other MMOs have (like getting rid of quest fetching), it's still an MMO at its core. Although, the PvE truly is terrific, it isn't for everyone (I found that out myself).

Now, one complaint of yours this game addresses is that it separates PvP from PvE, so there isn't any grinding to get PvP gear. Everyone immediately starts at max level with max-level gear/stats (there is no leveling at all in PvP).

The combat is also phenomenal. It's very fast-paced and feels more like an action game than an RPG IMO.

#30 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3152 posts) -

I'm going to be a contrarian and say that - from my personal experience as someone who really has not been able to enjoy World of Warcraft and the like - this game absolutely does enough differently in the way it's designed to appeal to people like you and I.

#31 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1327 posts) -

If you disliked wow immensely you will most definitely find this boring too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.