Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

WvW Night Capping - AKA the Franco-Canadian Plague - Are you Pro or Contra?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Seppli

Night capping is the act of taking over objectives during night time, when the vast majority of the server population is asleep. Since there aren't any French-language servers on the American side of the big pond, seemingly the entire Franco-Candian GW2-playing populus invaded Europe-side French servers - and hence the highest rated English and German servers are constantly pitted against a foe that never sleeps. Every night the Franco-Candian invaders night cap everything, and tally up an insane lead by the morning - taking every aspect of contest and 'winning' out of the equation for these battered few 'best-non-francophone' servers.

Personally, I believe winning is a key aspect of a rewarding and fun PvP experience. Winning has only meaning in a somewhat balanced and evenly-matched environment. Night-capping and Franco-Candadian superpowers have to go. ArenaNet has to do something about it, because WvW is kinda dying on the servers most affected by it - which are the most passionate WvW servers of the region, lacking an influx of otherworldly francophone warriors.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By jesterroyal

How can you not be pro? Its a 24 hour game. You can't just tell people "Sorry, your time zone isn't supported. War is done for the night. Go to bed".

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Seppli

@jesterroyal said:

How can you not be pro? Its a 24 hour game. You can't just tell people "Sorry, your time zone isn't supported. War is done for the night. Go to bed".

Open an America-side French server for the francophiles. IP-ban the shit out people trying to WvW in other timezones. Keep population within the WvW zones relatively even, by dynamically adjusting maximum participants per world and map, and having queues at all times for unevenly populated servers. Or just shorten WvW rounds to 12 hours cycles - because I don't care if the Canadians win the Night unopposed - as long as evenly matched primetime fighting means something again. There are loads of drastic measure, and they should've been taken right out of the gate.

Without contest, winning has no meaning. Without meaning, there is no passion. Without passion, WvW dies. And it kinda did. The affected servers all kinda lost their will to fight. Many organized WvW guilds quit outright. It's kind of a doom and gloom sentiment going around really. Nobody even plays at night anymore. WvW is pretty much dead in the water. On what once was the most passionate and highest populus German-language server, at the very least.

Guess you are not on a server that hits the sweetspot of being amongst the best ranked servers, even without a pan-continental populus, and hence always gets matched with servers that are filled to the brim with players from both sides of the big pond. The numbers at night are so unevenly, it's ludicrous, and the entire exercise becomes completely pointless. Spawnrape-tastic.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Hmmm, this is a tough call.  Is this preventing the non-frogs from enjoying a part of the game?  If so then it seems unfair.  

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jesterroyal

@Seppli: I play WvW win or lose. Behind or not (as long as im not PvE-ing with any sort of purpose). Some matchups are worse than others. YB has no night presence, and some weeks we get stomped for it but last week we ended up matched pretty well. As was said, a hundred times, on the official forums. Night capping is a valid strategy. If you get capped at night. Go take them back in the morning and run up your lead before they get you again. There are 24 hours in a day and not just the 8 at night.

I think its a selfish argument to say that nobody should be allowed to play when you aren't playing. All of your suggestions punish people who aren't you. If a server has 20 people online, and another has 30, those last 10 shouldn't be punished for wanting to play.. Nobody should be IP banned based on time zone. Thats just insane. A 12 hour system provides no incentive to lay down siege and actually make an effort. The system, as is, punishes nobody. You have the ability to play all 24 hours of the day and so does every other player. It can't get more fair than that. As your server continues to lose, you will eventually be matched with servers that fit more closely with your play style. Its all part of the balancing. And the lead gained in the 8 hours of the night that the capping is not insurmountable. I've had fun holding a tower when almost nothing else is held on the map by other servers.

If you want to see a change in your server, you should try to rally your server. If your server refuses to step up and WvW matters to you, you may need to select another server. (I assume the german speaking server is very important to you and I know this might not be a viable solution for you.) You shouldn't try to punish everyone else who is making the most of the time they have. And if your server decided to quit playing WvW that speaks to a deeper problem to which the convenient scapegoat is night capping. I think the player base is starting to drop off and we will have to see what happens to the overall balance of the servers. Oh and as a last note, i mean none of this personally. I just enjoy arguing.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seppli

@jesterroyal said:

@Seppli: I play WvW win or lose. Behind or not (as long as im not PvE-ing with any sort of purpose). Some matchups are worse than others. YB has no night presence, and some weeks we get stomped for it but last week we ended up matched pretty well. As was said, a hundred times, on the official forums. Night capping is a valid strategy. If you get capped at night. Go take them back in the morning and run up your lead before they get you again. There are 24 hours in a day and not just the 8 at night.

I think its a selfish argument to say that nobody should be allowed to play when you aren't playing. All of your suggestions punish people who aren't you. If a server has 20 people online, and another has 30, those last 10 shouldn't be punished for wanting to play.. Nobody should be IP banned based on time zone. Thats just insane. A 12 hour system provides no incentive to lay down siege and actually make an effort. The system, as is, punishes nobody. You have the ability to play all 24 hours of the day and so does every other player. It can't get more fair than that. As your server continues to lose, you will eventually be matched with servers that fit more closely with your play style. Its all part of the balancing. And the lead gained in the 8 hours of the night that the capping is not insurmountable. I've had fun holding a tower when almost nothing else is held on the map by other servers.

If you want to see a change in your server, you should try to rally your server. If your server refuses to step up and WvW matters to you, you may need to select another server. (I assume the german speaking server is very important to you and I know this might not be a viable solution for you.) You shouldn't try to punish everyone else who is making the most of the time they have. And if your server decided to quit playing WvW that speaks to a deeper problem to which the convenient scapegoat is night capping. I think the player base is starting to drop off and we will have to see what happens to the overall balance of the servers. Oh and as a last note, i mean none of this personally. I just enjoy arguing.

Right, because it's not a problem as long as it doesn't affect you. My server didn't get a none fucked-up match-up since the matchmaking system kicked-off. And that whole lay a siege thing? 'A Siege' usually takes as long as 20 minutes - then either the attackers are broken or the defenders didn't rally enough support. A 12-hours game would be laden with meaningful sieges, and actually be much more dramatic, since every skirmish weighs a lot more in the overall effort. After one night of Franco-Canadian domination, there's no catching up anymore. Do you really think there aren't any French players holding down the fort during daytime hours?

Your arguments are all about how 'Paper-Awesome' the week-long open world PvP is, when in reality, it just does not work - especially not when even match-ups are impossible due to Night-Capping and the Franco-Canadian population imbalancing the entire top of the European WvW-Ladder. We want to have fun too. Winning is part of that equation. Shorter duration match-ups fit that bill. If not that, then IP-bans and other dramatic measures are in order.

@sins_of_mosin said:

Hmmm, this is a tough call. Is this preventing the non-frogs from enjoying a part of the game? If so then it seems unfair.

It most certainly does. Unless you're a fucking hippy, who doesn't play to win, and only plays during peak-hours. If you can only play during nighttime, you will be spawntrapped alone against the Franco-Canadian horde. Even if you organize a group, you will be crushed by a Zerg ten times your size, becaue the Franco-Canadians are starving for a fight.

It's not ideal for anyone, and outright idiotic for everyone who isn't French.

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mustachio

Seems like a simple enough solution for a simple enough problem, as you said: set up a Franco-Canadian server. Europeans shouldn't have to have their games screwed by time zones not designed for it, and Franco-Canadians shouldn't have to main servers on the other side of the Atlantic when the opposing teams aren't even on to fight you. Frankly it seems everyone loses out in the current situation.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e39f84edec3
    deactivated-63e39f84edec3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Beleive it or not but WvsWvsW is a 24 hour thing. Who would have known?

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

I'm glad I still only play games for fun. Clearly some people take this business very seriously.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jesterroyal

You are characterizing your problem as a scourge and a plague. I thought the language usage was a joke at first but you are genuinely enflamed and outraged. I dont think theres any discussion that can be had at this point. I'm going to step out of this argument. I find that name calling and internet sarcasm don't lead to any sort of good discussion and only result in a flame war.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Giefcookie

Its certainly a bummer and the main reason I haven't done any WvW in a while. So I guess my suggested fix for it is to start playing Pokemon White 2!

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gruff182

I think night capping is fine, but I also think you should only be able to join servers in your region/closest proximity. So they should stay off the EU servers if their not in the EU.

pay928

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pay928

@Gruff182 said:

I think night capping is fine, but I also think you should only be able to join servers in your region/closest proximity. So they should stay off the EU servers if their not in the EU.

Terrible idea for people that move, or are part of gaming communities not in their Region.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheHumanDove

Them crazy french canadians. Lawl

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Freshbandito

surely then the 'day-cappers' reap the same benefits as the 'night-cappers' though and everything balances out?

mmo fans are crazy people...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Seppli

@Freshbandito said:

surely then the 'day-cappers' reap the same benefits as the 'night-cappers' though and everything balances out?

mmo fans are crazy people...

The thing is, WvW is supposed to be a two-week match-up of three servers. Currently it's but a week, because matchmaking ain't all there yet, lacking sufficient data to properly rank the servers.

There's no such thing as day cappers. During local daytime hours, we've got ourselves a good fight, as it's supposed to be. Late at night, when the server population starts to dwindle though, things get more and more imbalanced. Where at first we still tried to fight the good fight night after night, our will is just broken. Nobody is willing to fight a lost cause forever. It's like the 5th matchup in a row, against such a Franco-Canadian infested server - and it's sickening. The WvW culture on my server has fallen ill because of it.

@jesterroyal said:

You are characterizing your problem as a scourge and a plague. I thought the language usage was a joke at first but you are genuinely enflamed and outraged. I dont think theres any discussion that can be had at this point. I'm going to step out of this argument. I find that name calling and internet sarcasm don't lead to any sort of good discussion and only result in a flame war.

You are unwilling to argue, because you cannot deny facts, which seems to be your intention. Everything is NOT fine. Fact is, given such match-ups, WvW is unplayable during nighttime, due to gross WvW population imbalances caused by a huge disparity in otherworldly-timezoned players on French servers. Being either spawntrapped, or completely alone on a map of hostile red outnumbered 100 to 1, and getting nothing started or done at all - that's not what WvW should be. Entirely losing the aspect of 'being in it to win it', doesn't help with motivation either.

I'm sorry if it causes you dismay to hear bad things about a stellar game - but it's time to face facts, for us whom have to live with this issue currently, the situation is unacceptable.

@Zomgfruitbunnies said:

I'm glad I still only play games for fun. Clearly some people take this business very seriously.

So do I. Would you characterize being spawntrapped as fun? Being outnumbered 100 to 1? I wouldn't. Unless it's a reverse gangbang.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Giantstalker

Forcing French-speaking players to play on English servers is, in my view, worse than having some WvW imbalance.

Ideally, I suppose they could get their own server, but for some reason I don't see this happening.

After playing WvW a fair bit, I feel the whole system needs to be overhauled anyway. Diminishing returns or something would be a start to even out dominating teams - make it easier for a down-on-its-luck server to recover, and harder for a numerically superior server to just lock down the field.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

You say that you're being continually matched against these same servers, but you also say they're utterly dominating the competition. These things seem to be incompatible. If the French-Canadian servers truly have such an empirical advantage, then eventually they will be sorted to the top of the European ladder and go against each other game after game. There's no reason to speak as though you're forever forced to WvW against a single, dominant opponent.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seppli

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

You say that you're being continually matched against these same servers, but you also say they're utterly dominating the competition. These things seem to be incompatible. If the French-Canadian servers truly have such an empirical advantage, then eventually they will be sorted to the top of the European ladder and go against each other game after game. There's no reason to speak as though you're forever forced to WvW against a single, dominant opponent.

That's because there's not that many French servers, and being on a top rated server without an international populus, we will always be the first to be pitted against these servers. Hell - we've even had the exact same match-up twice in a row.

Things are only going to get worse, once the 2-week WvW cycle starts to kick in. If this isn't sorted out by then, everytime a regular server gets pitted against a French server, you can kiss the overall war effort goodbye for two weeks - and each and every late night is a lost cause - and hence is totally deserted and devoid of any gameplay of value. Even if we're dropping a notch in the rankings, we'll be right up again after the next match-up against regular servers.

You can argue all you want about how it's not a big deal and how 'it's WvW, it's not meant to balanced, but open and everything goes' - nonetheless Franco-Canadian night-capping remains a huge problem for top ranked servers in Europe - and I'd argue it's gamebreaking issue. The WvW community and culture on my server has suffered and eroded tremendously due to this issue - Night-Capping and other timezone-related WvW imbalances have to be dealt with. Time won't sort this one out, unless people not caring about WvW anymore (and by extension - Guild Wars 2) is what ArenaNet wants to be their longterm solution. Franco-Canadians quitting due to boredom, everybody else due to frustration.

Those who argue in favor of keeping things as they are, defiantly pretend ArenaNet's WvW concepts are as awesome in-game, as they are on paper - in total disregard of the reality some servers are facing. At night, if you are matched against a French server, you will be spawn-trapped until the entire flippin' map is all theirs. Then you're free to roam the map, just to get swarmed by a starving zerg of Franco-Canadian hooligans, as soon as you do anything and give away your position. It's unplayable and unfun, and hence completely abandoned and deserted - invalid design, respectively invalid matchmaking systems and overall server policies.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By MikkaQ

Oh my god, that's kinda awesome. It's like the Hart Foundation but for Guild Wars.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

@Seppli said:

@Zomgfruitbunnies said:

So do I. Would you characterize being spawntrapped as fun? Being outnumbered 100 to 1? I wouldn't. Unless it's a reverse gangbang.

You completely missed my point. If something stops being fun, I stop doing it and look for other ways to have fun because what happens in a video game is rather inconsequential to me. You clearly take this very seriously.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@Seppli said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

That's because there's not that many French servers, and being on a top rated server without an international populus, we will always be the first to be pitted against these servers. Hell - we've even had the exact same match-up twice in a row.

My unfortunate answer is that if your server participation is as dire as you say, that you'll eventually be down-sorted to equilibrium anyway.

I agree that it's non-ideal for vastly unequal matches to occur, but this is how the mode is designed. Without some sort of massive restructuring, it's going to be this way for a while yet, and I don't agree that forcing certain people into certain servers is at all acceptable.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Seppli

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@Seppli said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

My unfortunate answer is that if your server participation is as dire as you say, that you'll eventually be down-sorted to equilibrium anyway.

I agree that it's non-ideal for vastly unequal matches to occur, but this is how the mode is designed. Without some sort of massive restructuring, it's going to be this way for a while yet, and I don't agree that forcing certain people into certain servers is at all acceptable.

No - you don't get the severity of the situation. As long as there are servers with a sizeable population of another timezone, WvW is ruined for the other participants. You cannot play late nights, and you cannot win the overall wareffort. And it's always gonna hit the same couple of servers - those with the highest population and/or the most passionate WvW community.

It's a language thing. Franco-Canadians don't have servers of their own in the Americas, but there are French servers in Europe. No other minority does migrate in that manner. Imagine Australians wouldn't talk English, but rather French, and Franco-Canadians had French servers America-side - and instead of spreading amongst all servers, the Australians would flock to the Franco-Canadian servers - you would be as fucked as the top rated non-French European servers are now. WvW has been unfun for over a month, with the situation detriorating as more and more players jump ship.

It only affects a handful of servers, but it has to be addressed. It's a systemic disease plaguing European WvW, and it will be a detrimental force to Guild Wars 2 until the situation has been pro-actively alleviated by ArenaNet.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By shinboy630

@Seppli said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@Seppli said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

No - you don't get the severity of the situation. As long as there are servers with a sizeable population of another timezone, WvW is ruined for the other participants. You cannot play late nights, and you cannot win the overall wareffort. And it's always gonna hit the same couple of servers - those with the highest population and/or the most passionate WvW community.

It's a language thing. Franco-Canadians don't have servers of their own in the Americas, but there are French servers in Europe. No other minority does migrate in that manner. Imagine Australians wouldn't talk English, but rather French, and Franco-Canadians had French servers America-side - and instead of spreading amongst all servers, the Australians would flock to the Franco-Canadian servers - you would be as fucked as the top rated non-French European servers are now. WvW has been unfun for over a month, with the situation detriorating as more and more players jump ship.

It only affects a handful of servers, but it has to be addressed. It's a systemic disease plaguing European WvW, and it will be a detrimental force to Guild Wars 2 until the situation has been pro-actively alleviated by ArenaNet.

That appears to be a different issue all together from that you initially intended this thread to be. Night capping is totally 100% fine, that is not the issue. The issue is that the people who are the ones doing the "night-capping" should not be in a situation where they have to do so in the first place. Also, just my personal opinion, while this may be a serious issue, it still seems like you are doing an equally serious amount of QQing in this thread while sort of shrugging aside what everyone else says.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By UssjTrunks

Have any South American players migrated to that lone Spanish language server?

Anyway, you're going to have this problem everywhere, even in North American servers. For example, Australian players have no choice but to play on NA servers because those are their "home servers". A lot of British players also play on NA servers because they want to be on English speaking servers (they don't have any English speaking servers in Europe).

I don't see this is a problem at all. I think it's great that this is a global game.

WvW was never intended to be a balanced game mode. Some servers will always be better than others, it's how the system was designed.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Seppli

@UssjTrunks said:

Have any South American players migrated to that lone Spanish language server?

Anyway, you're going to have this problem everywhere, even in North American servers. For example, Australian players have no choice but to play on NA servers because those are their "home servers". A lot of British players also play on NA servers because they want to be on English speaking servers (they don't have any English speaking servers in Europe).

I don't see this is a problem at all. I think it's great that this is a global game.

WvW was never intended to be a balanced game mode. Some servers will always be better than others, it's how the system was designed.

It's just an argument that doesn't hold up to reality.

If WvW is unplayable during late night because of crass population imbalances, then it's unplayable. The concept doesn't hold up to reality. Simple as that.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Seppli
    @Dark_Lord_Spam said:

...I don't agree that forcing certain people into certain servers is at all acceptable.

You do know that sPvP is region-locked. Europeans play against Europeans. Americans play against Americans. And so forth. To ensure a certain quality of experience. The same should apply for WvW.

My in-game experience tells me, that WvW suffers greatly due to allowing players from anywhere on the world to WvW on any GW2 server in the world. It's a lofty ideal - allowing players from all over the world to come together and play together, no artificial boundries keeping them apart - one that gets crushed by the ugly reality of gamebreaking imbalance. Ignoring that just to preserve your ideal is akin to holocaust denial - spoken both metaphorically and exaggeratedly.

@shinboy630 said:

@Seppli said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@Seppli said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

That appears to be a different issue all together from that you initially intended this thread to be. Night capping is totally 100% fine, that is not the issue. The issue is that the people who are the ones doing the "night-capping" should not be in a situation where they have to do so in the first place. Also, just my personal opinion, while this may be a serious issue, it still seems like you are doing an equally serious amount of QQing in this thread while sort of shrugging aside what everyone else says.

Sure - night-capping pre se is fine. 

Through circumstances which ArenaNet had a part in creating, there are a couple of European French language servers on which there is a large enough Franco-Canadian contingent to fill the WvW-zones during night-time, and they are not being paired with other such servers. So whilst on average 90+% of the population on regular European servers are inactive at night, those Franco-Canadian-infested servers are at full capacity in terms of WvW, and you simply cannot win such a fight. Hell - often you can't even get out of your map spawn.

I agree that ArneaNet's concepts and ideas and ideals for Guild Wars 2 in general and WvW in specific are great, but in context of such a reality - the in-game experience shows that it is grossly unbalanced and hence broken and unfun and nigh unplayable - ArenaNet has to admit that there are good reasons why other games don't allow many of the things they do.

A solution has to be found. Either these type of servers are put in a bracket of their own, or WvW gets region-locked via geo-tagging, or ArenaNet finds some other solution - but for regular servers, which are ranking-wise right next to these Franco-Canadian freakshow anomaly servers - the situation is unacceptable.

Defending paper-awesome concepts and ideals in the light of a horrid reality is pure ignorance. Between forcing players to have fun elsewhere, or ruining WvW for some tens of tousands of players, if not many more, in Europe and Canada and all around the globe - I know what I'd shoot for, if I was an ArenaNet triggerman - because that's the situation my server is in, and the situation sucks.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By shinboy630

After considerably more thought on this topic, all I can think of is the frenchies sitting up in their keeps and castle and taunting you down below.

No Caption Provided
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Seppli

@shinboy630 said:

After considerably more thought on this topic, all I can think of is the frenchies sitting up in their keeps and castle and taunting you down below.

I think they're bored shitless looking at their map, hoping some fool doesn't know, and wait for the crossed swords symbol to appear on it - so they can get a measly kill that night - in the deserted wasteland the late-night WvW has devolved into.

Either way, I'm not playing it currently, despite having had opposing plans. God pisses on plans. It's what he waits for, bored shitless on his cloudy throne. For a man and his plans, to shit on.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Seppli

Just came up with an elegant solution to the problem.

Pair European and American servers for WvW. So instead of a WvWvW, it's 2Wv2Wv2W. 24/7 peak-hours-style WvW warfare.

ArenaNet - you're welcome. It's on the house.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By falling_fast

I'm sorry, the idea of a quebecois invasion is just too hilarious.

idunno, just deal with it, I guess.

learn french.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Seppli said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

...I don't agree that forcing certain people into certain servers is at all acceptable.

You do know that sPvP is region-locked. Europeans play against Europeans. Americans play against Americans. And so forth. To ensure a certain quality of experience. The same should apply for WvW.

They split it for language and latency reasons. Europeans can still join NA servers and vice versa (they aren't region-locked into what server they can pick), same as in WvW.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@UssjTrunks said:

@Seppli said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

They split it for language and latency reasons. Europeans can still join NA servers and vice versa (they aren't region-locked into what server they can pick), same as in WvW.

And the only non-hot-join communities in sPvP are typically small, very tight-knit groups of players who are definitely going to be able to communicate with each other, so the population at large matters little. In WvW, if your entire server is split by communication barriers as simple as language, you're damn sure going to have a miserable time trying to play (I'd estimate far more than a server who gets consistently night-capped).

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Seppli

@UssjTrunks:

Yeah - but they can't play sPvP outside of their own timezone, regardless of their homeserver. A precedent for ArenaNet limiting players in their freedoms.

@Dark_Lord_Spam:

Like a zerg needs anthing more than bovine-like herd communication. Everybody who does anything else than zerg made the core of his group beforehand, and due to timezones the overlap between Europe and America is minimal. It's not like Europe is made up of more than English and French and Spanish and German speaking countries. There's like 20 more langagues on non-descript standard servers than just English - and things work out just fine, they always do.

I'm sorry, between an unplayably unbalanced and broken game, and some language-barrier related frustrations - I'd always chose to unfuck my game.

@damnable_fiend:

My French is just fine. Fine enough for basic communcation. Dunno what that has to do with anything. Unless winning WvW without actually fighting for it, just by joining a gamebreakingly Franco-Canadian-infested server, is your idea of fun.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gruff182

Yeah I just logged in to my server (Seafarers Rest) for the first time in a while. It's us, a German server and a French server. It's 9am here and the French hold 90+% of the map and have over 5x our scores (us and the Germans are very close), basically accumulated over the nights and impossible to catch up on. I haven't played since BL2 and TL2 came out, but we always did well in the WvW match-ups at the start. The WvW stuff is basically the endgame for me in GW2. I don't mind losing, in fact it makes you a better player but theres no point if its hopeless.

This seems like a tough thing to fix, it feels like something they should have thought of before launch. They should have had a French server available in the NA and had rules where all competitive content is for your region only (PvP/WvW) and then had the guesting system so you can play with your friends/ join guilds from anywhere. You can't move people now, it's unfair.

And personally I think over night capping is fine and a great feature. This oversight just ruins it for everyone else who does enjoy the WvW aspect.

I think they should just lump all the French servers in their own group and let them duke it out.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@Gruff182 said:

I think they should just lump all the French servers in their own group and let them duke it out.

We're getting into choices between handicapping the enjoyment of one group of players versus handicapping the enjoyment of another, and that's not how this should be phrased. This sounds like a deeper issue, so if anything should be changed here it has to be a part of the fundamental design in WvW, not the server structure.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

I don't know how this would work in practice, but a guy on the official forums has gotten the ball rolling on potential solutions to this problem from the scoring side of things.

aterangelus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By aterangelus
    No Caption Provided

I just wanted you all to see this. Carry on folks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.