WvW vs. RvR (aka: GW2 vs. DAoC)

#1 Posted by ProfessorEss (7123 posts) -

The one Guild Wars 2 hook that has me real close to purchasing is World vs World. More specifically how much WvW in Guild Wars 2 resembles Dark Age of Camelot's RvR. 
I'm just curious if there's anyone around here who has spent a good chunk of time in both who could describe how they are similar, how they are different and just general impressions. 

I've also heard a lot of talk about how queue times for WvW are upwards of two hours. Is this accurate?

#2 Edited by Seppli (9740 posts) -

There's 4 maps for WvW - the main map (Eternal Battlegrounds) indeed has very long queuing times. Borderlands are usually quicker to get into. At peak hours, it usually takes me roughly a half an hour to get in on some Borderlands action. I'm on the busiest German language server, even busier than Yak's Bend. Shouldn't be a problem getting into WvW in a timely fashion for the most parts. As for DaoC comparisons - I haven't played it, but I've heard and read many favorable comparisons by DaoC veterans - and it's loads of fun for me, and the first time open world PvP truely comes together in my MMO-experiences.

#3 Edited by ProfessorEss (7123 posts) -
@Seppli said:

I haven't played it, but I've heard and read many favorable comparisons by DaoC veterans - and it's loads of fun for me...

That's encouraging. I really thought with Blizzard's track record of "taking the best example and making it better" that WoW would've had some real mind blowing PvP unfortunately (unless it happened in the past couple of years) that side of the game just never panned out for me. Sure I had a good bit of fun in the Battlegrounds, and took part in some tremendously fun (though laggy as hell) mainland raids but it never came anywhere close to the epicness that was DAoC's RvR.

@Seppli said:

...the main map (Eternal Battlegrounds) indeed has very long queuing times. Borderlands are usually quicker to get into. At peak hours, it usually takes me roughly a half an hour

That's disheartening. I have a fairly tight life schedule that doesn't lend itself to waiting in hour long queues to game. Perhaps this will get ironed out sooner than later but for the time being I'm looking at that as a potential deal-breaker.
#4 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (2960 posts) -

Having never actually played DAoC I can't really give an in-depth comparison, but I did look at some footage of its RvR after hearing what WvW was based on. From all I can tell, besides the very obvious increased polish and refinements to the formula, the biggest change is how the matches are set up. Because in Guild Wars 2 the teams are based on server and not faction as in Dark Age, you don't find yourself in a situation where you'll be constantly outmatched by the "favorite faction" since servers are matched against others of a similar skill when WvW is reset every two weeks.

#5 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@ProfessorEss said:

@Seppli said:

...the main map (Eternal Battlegrounds) indeed has very long queuing times. Borderlands are usually quicker to get into. At peak hours, it usually takes me roughly a half an hour

That's disheartening. I have a fairly tight life schedule that doesn't lend itself to waiting in hour long queues to game. Perhaps this will get ironed out sooner than later but for the time being I'm looking at that as a potential deal-breaker.

You are going to get this in any new game nowadays. It will be a non-issue in a couple weeks.

#6 Edited by ProfessorEss (7123 posts) -
@NickL said:

You are going to get this in any new game nowadays. It will be a non-issue in a couple weeks.

For sure. Guess I'll just keep my eyes and ears open for the time being until these issues are minimized. 

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

Because in Guild Wars 2 the teams are based on server and not faction as in Dark Age, you don't find yourself in a situation where you'll be constantly outmatched by the "favorite faction" since servers are matched against others of a similar skill when WvW is reset every two weeks.

Yeah that sounds like a plus. I played on multiple factions and Albion was always on top. There was something fun about it (being both the over and under-dog had it's charm at times) but balance would certainly make for more consistent fun.
#7 Edited by ProfessorEss (7123 posts) -

To conclude, my financial willpower failed me and I bought the game shortly after my last post. 

I popped it on figuring I'd create a few characters, try a few classes and see a few starter areas. Four hours later I was still playing my first character and had to begrudgingly tear myself away from it for the sake of getting some sleep :) 

The base PvE is more than good enough to keep me interest until the WvW stuff is sorted.

#8 Posted by Jams (2956 posts) -

@ProfessorEss said:

To conclude, my financial willpower failed me and I bought the game shortly after my last post. I popped it on figuring I'd create a few characters, try a few classes and see a few starter areas. Four hours later I was still playing my first character and had to begrudgingly tear myself away from it for the sake of getting some sleep :) The base PvE is more than good enough to keep me interest until the WvW stuff is sorted.

INC MID ZERG!

#9 Posted by ProfessorEss (7123 posts) -
@Jams said:

INC MID ZERG!

HIBS RETREAT!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.