Yak's bend server.

  • 70 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Jonnybusiness (2 posts) -

http://www.asuralabs.com/serverPoll.php

Incase you guys didn't see this, it seems to be that Yak's Bend will be the most populated server in the US. Are you guys excited for this or no? Personally I can go both ways.

#2 Edited by New_Mandalore (25 posts) -

I brought this up in another thread. I'm fine with it, but I can see a lot of people getting frustrated and hopping to different servers since they won't be able to WvWvW while in the overflow servers(as I understand it?).

We'll have to see how much this really does screw people over.

Edit: As for that poll, take that with a grain of salt. ~5k voters is nothing. Plus, the people who have been linked to that poll could easily just be from a community that has already decided to roll on Yak's Bend.

I just know Yak's Bend will be popular because it's where the Yogscast and GW2Guru guilds are going, so that's a huge old zerg of people alone.

#3 Posted by Sweep (8872 posts) -

This is the server the GB guild is on, right? Last time I took part in one of the beta weekends I couldn't get onto that server because it was full, so I picked a random EU server with the understanding that I could swap later. Turns out you can't do that anymore, and there is now a fixed (real money) cost to swap characters between servers. Not only that but all characters tied to your account are limited to that single server, so even if you delete all your characters you still can't swap servers without paying.

Having done some research apparently there were a few beta weekends where server migration was permitted but since I joined the beta I have not been able to swap. If this is the case then I'm probably going to end up picking an EU server and we should probably sort out an EU guild...

Moderator
#4 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

I have become increasingly worried at how busy Yak's Bend is getting. It wasn't much of a problem when we didn't have that many members, but since the Guild's exploded it might cause some concerns.

@Sweep: All data is wiped before release so you'll be able to pick a new home server then (I think)

#5 Posted by Sweep (8872 posts) -

@Maystack: Yeah, and that's fine for people in the US, but not for EU players like me. If I'm going to be limited to a single server then I would rather it was one in the EU where I can play without lag.

Moderator
#6 Posted by Village_Guy (2598 posts) -

Yak's Bend sounds like it might get flooded with people, I'm in EU so I'm going to stick to an EU server anyway though, but if there's an active Giant Bomb guild on the EU side of things, then I'd like to know it :)

Either way I'll be waiting till release before getting my grabs on the game, I have spoiled my enjoyment of a game before via the beta...

#7 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

@Sweep: I'm in EU and have got no lag at all in any of the times I played.

#8 Posted by Sweep (8872 posts) -

@Maystack: Fair enough, but my internet is notoriously temperamental. I don't want to risk it :(

Moderator
#9 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1461 posts) -

I'm cool with Yak's Bend, but I'm not against going to another server if that's what everyone wants.

#10 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@Sweep said:

This is the server the GB guild is on, right? Last time I took part in one of the beta weekends I couldn't get onto that server because it was full, so I picked a random EU server with the understanding that I could swap later. Turns out you can't do that anymore, and there is now a fixed (real money) cost to swap characters between servers. Not only that but all characters tied to your account are limited to that single server, so even if you delete all your characters you still can't swap servers without paying.

Having done some research apparently there were a few beta weekends where server migration was permitted but since I joined the beta I have not been able to swap. If this is the case then I'm probably going to end up picking an EU server and we should probably sort out an EU guild...

You can "guest" to another server for free, which will allow you to play with friends, but not compete in WvW. This option just wasn't available in any of the beta/stress tests.

I'm in the UK and plan on making my home server on Yak's with the rest of the guild, so I can still take part in guild activities, but guesting over to one of the EU servers, if things get laggy (which has never happened during any of the beta or stress tests). They've also said there will be free transfers for this first few weeks for those on high population servers to switch to low population ones.

It's also worth remembering that this poll only has 5000 or so votes, so it's not exactly indicative of the entire games population. I wouldn't mind switching to a quieter server, if the majority vote for that though. It does sound like Yak's will get full quick.

#11 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@Maystack said:

I have become increasingly worried at how busy Yak's Bend is getting. It wasn't much of a problem when we didn't have that many members, but since the Guild's exploded it might cause some concerns.

I'm the same, but I am hoping that this works out like other games where the online community / pre-purchase community is only a small fraction of the overall playerbase. For example I think pre-purchases were only at 500k, so if Anet sells like 2 million copies that's only 1/4 of the total, so the rest can spread out to the other servers.

#12 Posted by Heltom92 (713 posts) -

Hmm I'm in EU as well, i was thinking about going to Yak's Bend but the large population might just make lag worse.

Maybe we should sort out a guild on one of the EU servers?

#13 Edited by gike987 (1758 posts) -

I'm from EU and will be playing on the US server. I have not noticed any lag from playing on the US server during the Beta weekends.

I don't think we should change server. It's impossible to tell how populated the servers will be before release as most people who play the game won't take part in polls. There are less 6000 votes in the linked poll, so if the game sells 1M copies less than 0.006% of the total population have voted in poll.

#14 Posted by Mister_V (1314 posts) -

I'm in the UK as well, I have had no lagg at all in the beta. I hope we can all stick together on Yak's bend rather than splitting into multiple guilds.

Also it's worth remembering that us UK members will more than likly be playing during the quieter times (evening in the UK is mid day/early afternoon in the US so sever pop should be lower) I was actually concerned that it might be to quiet at times.

#15 Posted by Brodehouse (9975 posts) -

Give it a week. A lot of people made some decisions because they couldn't get on to Mind Trick in SWTOR during early access, four days later there were no queues and they were stuck on some other server.

#16 Posted by Mister_V (1314 posts) -
@Brodehouse Exactly. Server queues are almost unavoidable regardless of what server you pick. Give yaks bend a chance, it might be rough going for a few days but these things always get better.
#17 Posted by TobbRobb (4666 posts) -

I like the idea of keeping the whole community on one server, but EU and NA duders won't be playing at the same times anyhow. Wouldn't it be safer to just make two guilds?

#18 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

I like the idea of keeping the whole community on one server, but EU and NA duders won't be playing at the same times anyhow. Wouldn't it be safer to just make two guilds?

On weekends this has proven to not be the case. We roll with eachother quite frequently - plus, "safe" doesn't really come into it, as noone has had location based lag issues 'till date. (speaking as a person playing from Australia, an island country with what feels like the smallest freakin' net pipes in the world)

#19 Posted by TobbRobb (4666 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: If you say so then. I didn't have any problems either, but Swedish pipes are large. Yak's Bend it is.

#20 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

@selfconfessedcynic: If you say so then. I didn't have any problems either, but Swedish pipes are large. Yak's Bend it is.

Sigh, yeah - this topic comes up quite frequently and has started to smell like FUD, especially with the amount of us who can testify to having a great experience.

#21 Edited by Bollard (5599 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic said:

@TobbRobb said:

@selfconfessedcynic: If you say so then. I didn't have any problems either, but Swedish pipes are large. Yak's Bend it is.

Sigh, yeah - this topic comes up quite frequently and has started to smell like FUD, especially with the amount of us who can testify to having a great experience.

I'm using shitty UK internet with <2Mb down and I can still play on Yaks lag free. Secondly, that poll is super, super biased and not representative at all. Yaks doesn't even have 300 votes so if you're taking that as an indication of total server population on release that is some extreme extrapolation you're doing right there. Lastly, I have spent a lot of time playing with Americans and Australians alike and it would make me really sad if the rest of the Europeans decide to segregate themselves :(

#22 Posted by New_Mandalore (25 posts) -

I would love if all the EU people rolled on Yak's Bend, seeing as I ONLY play during non-peak US times (re: very early morning eastern US time) due to my work schedule. In previous games, this usually leaves me online with Aussies and other EU people, which is cool by me.

Also, they are going to offer free server transfers at launch. No idea if that means like "one free transfer" per account or just willy nilly transfers all you want, but this has been confirmed in an interview.

We need to be prepared to make extra guilds though, as a temporary thing until the main guild gets member cap increase.

#23 Posted by TobbRobb (4666 posts) -

@Chavtheworld: I was just worried people might have a bad experience on overseas servers, but if you say they won't I'll believe you.

Didn't even look at the poll, population is something we can't really decide anything on until it's out.

#24 Posted by shinboy630 (1147 posts) -

I'm fine with guru being on yaks and while iffy on the yogscast, I can deal. The only group that may make me leave is [LaZy] nation from gw1. They are on yak's too. Fuck those guys.

Anyway the game is large enough that running into these groups shouldn't be a big deal anyway.

#25 Posted by Bollard (5599 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

@Chavtheworld: I was just worried people might have a bad experience on overseas servers, but if you say they won't I'll believe you.

Didn't even look at the poll, population is something we can't really decide anything on until it's out.

Everything from my nigh on 20 hours in game so far points towards a smooth experience on Yaks. I could well be wrong, but ANet seem to know what they're doing. Launch may be rough, sure, but it's always like that with MMOs.

#26 Posted by Mister_V (1314 posts) -

I'm sure anet more than most want to make the experience as smooth as possible no matter what server you play on.

Also the yogscast people as mostly brits as well are they not? There seem to be more EU people on Yak's than Americans.

#27 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Hopefully Yak's Bend will be able to cater to us all and play smoothly. GW1 was always a little laggy for me.

#28 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@New_Mandalore said:

Also, they are going to offer free server transfers at launch. No idea if that means like "one free transfer" per account or just willy nilly transfers all you want, but this has been confirmed in an interview.

It sounds like it'll only allow you transfer to servers with a low population, but worst comes to worst, we should be able to up and move the entire guild if we have to.

#29 Posted by Subjugation (4722 posts) -

See, the problem with a survey with such a small sample size relative to actual game population is that it is incapable of being representative. If you looked at this survey you would say that Darkhaven is far and away the most populated US server. While I'm sure Yak's Bend will be busy, I'm not very concerned about it.

MMO launches are always busy for a few weeks and then they quiet down. I played on Kel'Thuzad (US) for a little over four years in WoW and it was always a high to full population server. In contrast, I also played on Darrowmere (US) for a few months because I foolishly followed a few friends there for its low population so we could avoid queues during expansion and content patch launches. It worked, but walking into Stormwind during peak time and only seeing a few dozen people there made it feel like a ghost town. The community was what they called "intimate" but I called it just plain too small. I shortly returned to Kel'Thuzad and never looked back. In my experience, the benefits of a high population server far outweigh those of a low population server.

#30 Posted by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Sweep said:

This is the server the GB guild is on, right? Last time I took part in one of the beta weekends I couldn't get onto that server because it was full, so I picked a random EU server with the understanding that I could swap later. Turns out you can't do that anymore, and there is now a fixed (real money) cost to swap characters between servers. Not only that but all characters tied to your account are limited to that single server, so even if you delete all your characters you still can't swap servers without paying.

Having done some research apparently there were a few beta weekends where server migration was permitted but since I joined the beta I have not been able to swap. If this is the case then I'm probably going to end up picking an EU server and we should probably sort out an EU guild...

You can "guest" to another server for free, which will allow you to play with friends, but not compete in WvW. This option just wasn't available in any of the beta/stress tests.

I'm in the UK and plan on making my home server on Yak's with the rest of the guild, so I can still take part in guild activities, but guesting over to one of the EU servers, if things get laggy (which has never happened during any of the beta or stress tests). They've also said there will be free transfers for this first few weeks for those on high population servers to switch to low population ones.

It's also worth remembering that this poll only has 5000 or so votes, so it's not exactly indicative of the entire games population. I wouldn't mind switching to a quieter server, if the majority vote for that though. It does sound like Yak's will get full quick.

It's important to note though that being in another server means you can't contribute to the guild in any way.

“Yes, a guild can have members from any number of worlds. They will be making guild progress (e.g. upgrade and influence) towards their guild only the the world they’re playing in, though, so the influence isn’t shared between the different versions of the guilds in other home worlds. You will share a roster, and chat, and the normal social features with everyone regardless of their home world, though.”

– Daniel Jennings

This was posted on the official forums yesterday.

#31 Posted by Jopiri (5 posts) -

Yea Yaks Bend has been good times. I plan on sleeping all day Friday til 11pm-ish EST. Then wait for headstart to kickon :)

#32 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Mister_V said:

I'm in the UK as well, I have had no lagg at all in the beta. I hope we can all stick together on Yak's bend rather than splitting into multiple guilds. Also it's worth remembering that us UK members will more than likly be playing during the quieter times (evening in the UK is mid day/early afternoon in the US so sever pop should be lower) I was actually concerned that it might be to quiet at times.

There are no server queues. You just get put into an overflow server, until a spot frees up in that specific zone on your server of choice.

Did they really scratch the 'guest' feature - allowing players to play PvE on any server of their chosing anytime - ? Last I checked the server only limited players regarding WvW.

#33 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Oh - I'm going to roll on an EU server. Don't want to be stuck with off-peak WvW gameplay.

#34 Edited by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

I'll probably play on the Far Shiverpeaks server. Which server are you other non Yak's Bend Europeans going to pick?

#35 Edited by Curious_George (145 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

See, the problem with a survey with such a small sample size relative to actual game population is that it is incapable of being representative. If you looked at this survey you would say that Darkhaven is far and away the most populated US server. While I'm sure Yak's Bend will be busy, I'm not very concerned about it.

I don't really think the sample size is the problem. Many surveys may only do a few thousand but can still extrapolate fairly accurate data from it. The problem is the sample selection. I don't know where this survey has been posted, but likely the players taking the survey are self selecting and not representative of the entire post-release GW2 player base; they likely found it on a GW2 forum so they're probably much more hardcore than most of the players that will pick up the game later. But with 9000+ votes now I don't feel it's entirely inaccurate either, at least as far as those actively following GW2 (which I imagine also correlates with the head start population). But on GW2guilds.org it's also clear there is a significantly large number of undecided guilds which may impact the results some once all their server choices are made.

#36 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

@Curious_George: I sincerely doubt this survey is indicative of what server population will be like in any way shape or form. The 'hardcore' population of guild wars 2 such as those who voted in this survey are probably going to be less than 5% of the entire player base. The rest will spread out among servers like all other MMORPGs.

And even if this survey did actually mean anything, yak's bend seems to have the highest percentage of casual players. So if anyone actually does care that much about the results of this survey, they acknowledge that Yak's bend wont be that crowded anyway because the majority of people on yak's bend who care enough to answer a guild wars 2 survey acknowledge that they don't think they'll play religiously.

words

#37 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

@Curious_George: @Benny: That survey is for which server reddit should go on. I also think it may be really old because they're not even playing on Darkhaven any more.

#38 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3340 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@Mister_V said:

I'm in the UK as well, I have had no lagg at all in the beta. I hope we can all stick together on Yak's bend rather than splitting into multiple guilds. Also it's worth remembering that us UK members will more than likly be playing during the quieter times (evening in the UK is mid day/early afternoon in the US so sever pop should be lower) I was actually concerned that it might be to quiet at times.

There are no server queues. You just get put into an overflow server, until a spot frees up in that specific zone on your server of choice.

Did they really scratch the 'guest' feature - allowing players to play PvE on any server of their chosing anytime - ? Last I checked the server only limited players regarding WvW.

Guesting is still in the game. People just are unaware that it's a feature because it wasn't implemented in the betas.

#39 Posted by project343 (2828 posts) -

This is really concerning. I really hope I can snag a spot on that server at launch. :\

In all the betas, it went full real fast.

#40 Posted by Subjugation (4722 posts) -

@Maystack: Nah, the survey is only two days old. Link

My main point is that different surveys give different pictures and relying on only one isn't a sound basis for establishing reputable data. You can blame my statistics classes for my need to nitpick every survey ever. That stuff changed me.

#41 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -
#42 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -
#43 Edited by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

OK so just so I know now, without a shadow of a doubt, we're 100%, definitely, for sure, going to roll on Yak's?

#44 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@SamStrife said:

OK so just so I know now, without a shadow of a doubt, we're 100%, definitely, for sure, going to roll on Yak's?

haha - yes.

100% Certain, Yak's Bend is the server.

This will only change if a significant portion of the guild cannot get in near/after release day, in which case we will investigate moving.

#45 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -
@SamStrife Yes this was decided weeks ago.
#46 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: @Benny: Awesome. Cheers guys.

#47 Posted by New_Mandalore (25 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

I like the idea of keeping the whole community on one server, but EU and NA duders won't be playing at the same times anyhow. Wouldn't it be safer to just make two guilds?

Not all NA players play at "normal" or peak times for NA though. I know never do. Maybe one or two days of a month I will have a night off where I can play at peak times, but that's a stretch. I get my gaming on in the early morning -> afternoon. (I work nights or spend time with the lady at night)

#48 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1461 posts) -

Yak's Bend is where the Yogscast people are gonna be at? I don't know how to feel about that. I don't mind them that much, it's their fanbase that bothers me.

#49 Posted by Mister_V (1314 posts) -

@insane_shadowblade85 said:

Yak's Bend is where the Yogscast people are gonna be at? I don't know how to feel about that. I don't mind them that much, it's their fanbase that bothers me.

Educate me.

#50 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1461 posts) -

@Mister_V said:

@insane_shadowblade85 said:

Yak's Bend is where the Yogscast people are gonna be at? I don't know how to feel about that. I don't mind them that much, it's their fanbase that bothers me.

Educate me.

I don't know man, it's just some irrational and illogical dislike towards a small portion of their fanbase (not all of them, but the ones that paint these guys to be the gods of Youtube). I guess in my head I'm imagining a 12 year old kid spamming the chat, asking if anyone's seen the Yogscast. Basically what I'm saying is, I'm out of my mind. The Yogscast guys? Don't really have a problem with them (The only thing I had a problem with is that they're making a game based on them, or something, and wanted around 200k from their fans to do it).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.