Don't Forget your password....

#1 Edited by SamFo (1528 posts) -

I bought Guild Wars at launch and all the subsequent expansions before I went off it and didn't play it for ages.

Seeing as Guild Wars 2 is coming out I thought I'd dip my toe in for another look to see how things were going.

Downloaded the client and all was well until it would not accept what I thought was my password...

So I hit the button to send my account email a password reset email.

It never arrived.

So i contacted support who showed me what I needed to provide them with proof to prove that my account is really mine:

-- What first and last name did you use when you created the account?

-- What physical address did you use when you created the account?

-- What date of birth did you use when you created the account? (MM/DD/YYYY format)

-- What are all the25-digit retail access keys currently registered to your Guild Wars game account? (Please include the retail access keys from each campaign.)

-- What are the last 4 digits of the credit/debit card used to make any purchases for your account from the Guild Wars In-Game Store/NCsoft Store online? If you instead made purchases using PayPal®, what is the Transaction ID or the Invoice ID associated with the Guild Wars In-Game Store/NCsoft Store purchase? (if applicable)

Yeah... The first game is SIX YEARS OLD. I do have the old cd key at my parents house, but at this point I think it isn't worth the effort to go and get it.

Whatever happened to security questions like "Mother's Maiden Name" or simply sending me an email with a new password in it (The email and account names are the same) Ah well

/Rant

TL:DR = Remember your passwords, save your cd keys

#2 Posted by Riddell (342 posts) -

My Guild Wars account was hacked and all my characters were deleted. 

I thought Anet support were fantastic at getting me access to my account back.

#3 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Another reason why I hope Guild Wars 2 will use Steam.

#4 Posted by silentghost227 (78 posts) -

I had this same exact same problem when I tried playing it recently. I don't think I care enough to bother. 

#5 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4390 posts) -

@Riddell: For all the problems I hear about accounts getting hacked, it's a wonder they haven't added authenticators yet...

#6 Posted by SamFo (1528 posts) -

Well it looks like my account was hacked. Luckily the idiot left some gold unidentified stuff on there, but all of the 6 year birthday minipets are gone and a bunch of other stuff. Really dissapointing, but I'm just glad it's back.

#7 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -

I'm trying to get them to find my character name, and so far they've been fine. They even asked for the 25 digit key, I told them I didn't have it, and they're still helping.

#8 Posted by Weltal (2273 posts) -

Blizzard support requires that you take a picture of your driver licenses and send it in.

#9 Posted by Hunkulese (2695 posts) -

Another reason why password is always the best password

#10 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3243 posts) -

I guess my stubborn insistence on keeping the box for every game I've ever bought all in one place helped me out here. Was just able to snap a picture of every CD key and send them in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.