Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero 5

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

The fifth game in the core Guitar Hero franchise, and the third in the series from Activision and Neversoft. Though the game goes by the Guitar Hero moniker, it features full-band gameplay like its predecessor, Guitar Hero World Tour.

But.....Santana sucks....

• 87 results
    Avatar image for shalashaskauk666
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @Elazul: I was talkin more about the scratching and use of the amp in manipulating the distortion to get different sounds aswell as th underarm playing seen in th video for Your Time Has Come
    Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By Elazul
    @ShalashaskaUK666 said:
    " @Elazul: I was talkin more about the scratching and use of the amp in manipulating the distortion to get different sounds aswell as th underarm playing seen in th video for Your Time Has Come "
    Yeah, that stuff's pretty rad, but you have to agree that it's not exactly conventional guitar proficiency. I think we both have a slightly different  definition of "technically skilled". Let's just say that he's an very unusually talented guitarist, and leave it at that.
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @Elazul said:
    " @ShalashaskaUK666 said:
    " @Elazul: I was talkin more about the scratching and use of the amp in manipulating the distortion to get different sounds aswell as th underarm playing seen in th video for Your Time Has Come "
    Yeah, that stuff's pretty rad, but you have to agree that it's not exactly conventional guitar proficiency. I think we both have a slightly different  definition of "technically skilled". Let's just say that he's an very unusually talented guitarist, and leave it at that. "
    Haha sure thing m8, no problemo :D
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By TheMustacheHero

It's all preference my boy.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @TheMustacheHero: Very true of course, Santana jus gets on me teets!
    innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By innacces14

@ShalashaskaUK666:

To be honest Shalashaska you really need to take a step back and see what Santana is trying to do. 10 minute guitar solos aren't exactly his cup of tea because 1. He knows he's not technically proficient and 2. He prefers having the Santana band as a full on force then just a guitar show like Yngwie Malmsteen. What I mean by that is that he likes having other members of the band be the star of the stage for a few minutes so he can just get the groove going. That's basically why he's so important to the musician community, especially in the jam community, because he knows how to take a step back and let the band do the talking. I am totally not surprised that the developers put Santana out as a market for GH 5 cause, putting the name of the game aside, it's become a band game thanks to the fierce competition of Rock Band.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @innacces14: Very well said, and thanks 4 that, I never really looked @ it that way, but why even attempt the 10 minute solos if he himself is aware that he cant keep it interesting throughout? 
    The band perspective is a great way of showing what 'Guitar Hero' has become, as the people they are choosing to front the games arent even 'guitar heroes' anymore, the franchise should continue with the subtitle of 'World Tour 2' or whatever, because these are barely 'guitar' hero games anymore
    innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By innacces14

@ShalashaskaUK666: Because he's freagin' Santana, haha. A lot of people really love the guitar and they just love watching him go at it. Put it this way. I don't really like to say a certain member feels what I'm about to say, but because I've seen the "Some Kind of Monster" documentary I guess, not know, but guess that Mr. Hammett really did not dig the tunes on St. Anger because the  lack of guitar solos. Even so he has to put a show on for the crowd, and even though there really isn't anything spectacular about the Santana solos in this video the crowd absolutely loves the man for just putting a guitar, turning his Boogie combo up to 11, and just solo his heart away. Keep in mind that this is a jam of a recorded song, so 50% of this vid is Santana saying "Dude? Solo. Cause you're awesome." (watch how Santana waits for his turn after the organ solo and watch at 2:04 how he tells the conga player to solo)

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By PercyChuggs

Who cares about someones virtual likeness in the game? Honestly.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

Yeah thats pretty sweet, and I think if th new direction theyre taking is for a more band orientated music experience, then Santana is definately a sweet choice for that role, his solos still suck ass but like you say, its just for fun and nothing else, he's not trying to impress anybody, its about that style of music, and sonically it sounds awesome.

I think looking at it that way he seems a much better choice, its only when I put him against the choices of the past, ie Morello, Slash, Zakk Wylde etc that I get critical of his inclusion, but he really shines with his band, so full steam ahead for that way of thinking.
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @PercyChuggs said:
    " Who cares about someones virtual likeness in the game? Honestly. "
    Haha it aint his ingame likeness aesthetically, its his style of play, but I cleared up my thoughts in my previous post.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Systech

I doubt you can play like Santana.

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#63  Edited By TheGamerGeek
    @systech said:
    " I doubt you can play like Santana. "
    F U hoe.
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @TheGamerGeek said:
    " @systech said:
    F U hoe. "
    I somehow doubt you were defending me, but yeh I reckon I probably could do anythin Santy's put out, its nothin 2 complicated, he goes for awesome soundin stuff as oppose to technical or skillful prowess, he's not a GUITAR hero, just a good player relative to what is required by himself and his fans.
    And oh yeh..........fuck you.
    Metamorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Metamorphic
    @ShalashaskaUK666 said:
    " U wanna know who's good? Joe Satriani, Tom Morello, Kirk Hammett, Yngwie Malmsteen, Olli Tukiainen, Padge, Slash, Corey Beaulieu....pretty much anyone who can play more than what the average primary school kid can play.

Now I invite you to justify why Santana should be in GH5...
    "
    You're an idiot if your thinking that technical ability = better guitarist. Can you CREATE and compose music like he did? No. Music is about being creative and well... creating music and not being a fucking robot.  I've seen 15-17 year olds that can play cleaner, faster and better (more technical) than Kirk Hammett. Does that make them better than him? You know something else? Kirk Hammett has worked with Santana. He is also a fan of him. I'm sure that all the guitarists you have mentioned would agree that Santana is a great guitarist. When you have some musicians like Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Steve Lukather, JacoPastorius and more talking about how great he is and working with him, it just makes you look like a dumb ass.

Your kind are the ones that make  dumb fucking "music" and make it on MTV.

I rather listen to an orgasmic note than thousands of nonsense notes being thrown around for the hell of it. Even though I love some guitar virtuosos that can actually make music like Buckethead (inspired by Satana as well), Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Yngwie  Malmsteen (early stuff is good imo), and Paul Gilbert.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Systech
    @ShalashaskaUK666 said:
    " @TheGamerGeek said:
    " @systech said:
    F U hoe. "
    I somehow doubt you were defending me, but yeh I reckon I probably could do anythin Santy's put out, its nothin 2 complicated, he goes for awesome soundin stuff as oppose to technical or skillful prowess, he's not a GUITAR hero, just a good player relative to what is required by himself and his fans.
    "
    I guess they should just put you in the game, superstar.
    TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#67  Edited By TheGamerGeek
    @systech said:
    " @TheGamerGeek said:
    " @systech said:
    F U hoe. "
    "
    I guess they should just put you in the game, superstar. "
    YOU'RE SUCH AN ASS BITCH.
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

Haha I dunno if GamerGeek is tryin 2 insult me or systech, as both times he's quoted then insulted lol! Look guys I blatently have my own opinion on this and I've given in repeatedly, I even resolved the whole thing with innacces14's help a couple posts back. I'm not gona concede and eat my words completely, because to me Santana will never be as good as Slash or Padge or any of my favourites, so if u wanna bite then I'm gona bite back, but dont do the whole 'I'm better coz I know people you aint heard of' routine, coz I know how it ends.

Who th fuck are Steve Lukather Jaco Pastorius anyway??
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

Trinity's an awesome I know :D

Metamorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Metamorphic
    @ShalashaskaUK666 said:
    " Haha I dunno if GamerGeek is tryin 2 insult me or systech, as both times he's quoted then insulted lol! Look guys I blatently have my own opinion on this and I've given in repeatedly, I even resolved the whole thing with innacces14's help a couple posts back. I'm not gona concede and eat my words completely, because to me Santana will never be as good as Slash or Padge or any of my favourites, so if u wanna bite then I'm gona bite back, but dont do the whole 'I'm better coz I know people you aint heard of' routine, coz I know how it ends.
    Who th fuck are Steve Lukather Jaco Pastorius anyway??
    "
    That's fine if you don't know them. If you don't like Carlos Santana or the band, is okay. It is one thing to say that you don't like them and another to say that they suck or that Carlos suck. It is a possibility that you just are close minded, stupid, and careless/indifferent of what you spew out your mouth.

Most of these posts don't fix a thing anyway.
    harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#71  Edited By harrisonave

Kirk Hammett?  This thread is over.

Prok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Prok

No, posting in video game forums about why some artists are better than others (which is a completely pointless opinionated argument) and who should/shouldn't be in video games emulating that hobby makes you a nerd.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By innacces14

@ShalashaskaUK666: I know I should have mentioned this earlier, but dude? You just can't compare Santana to your influences like that. Guitar Hero can mean 3 things to me. 1. They are technically proficient and are the stars of the show (Slash, Yngwie Malmsteen, Alexi Laiho, Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads, etc.). 2. They mesh with the band well enough to make the band sound monumental (Tony Iommi, Alex Lifeson, John Petrucci, Tom Morello, Kurt Cobain, etc.), or 3. They have complete control over a band and directs them to add on to the guitar in a desired fashion to make the instrument have that much more of an impact (Steve Vai, Eric Clapton, Joe Satriani, Al Di Meola, Carlos Santana, etc.).

Neither guitarist can overcome anothers catagory, and sorry if it's insulting coming off as me saying "Slash can not touch what Santana has", but when you think about it if Slash did have as much control over the band as Santana did then can you imagine how much better Slash's GnR solos would have sound if he told Axl to shut up and stop singing while he's soloing?

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

^^ That is a very good point and thankyou for making it reasonably, all guitarists have their own strengths and weaknesses, and Porklord, its called 'Off Topic' for a reason. 

As for Metamorphic, if you'd read what I put, you'd realise I was saying I dont think he belongs in here as a guitar 'hero' along with the likes of Slash and Wylde or wotever, but as is PLAINLY obvious, he is a good guitarist that fits th bill of a more band orientated playing style, I'M SOOO SORRY I tried 2 talk about how the GH series has changed, but so fuckin help me for trying to be opinionated about something and make a worthwhile statement, when it comes to forum posting, if I'd tagged on 'in my opinion' on the end, would you all have replied as much? NO!
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " I hate guitar nerds. "
    Are you never happy?????
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Kou_Leifoh said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    " I hate guitar nerds. "
    Are you never happy????? "
    Never. Why?
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Chokobo

This Guitar Hero is more geared towards having fun, not being required to be a plastic guitar god in order to play most of the songs.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#78  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I gotta agree with the OP, Santana is a heap of shit.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#79  Edited By oldschool
    @creamypies said:
    " I gotta agree with the OP, Santana is a heap of shit. "
    Whilst I won't go that far, I don't doubt his talent, just as much as I admit that Mariah Carey can sing.  However, like Mariah Carey, Santana just sends me to sleep in utter boredom. 

Then again, some others who truly bored me to death on GH:WT as well : 
    Jimi Hendrix 
    Lynard Skynard 
    Ozzy Osbourne 
    Steely Dan 
    Ted Nugent - h for the love of SpongeBob, that was just painful 

Everyone has their own tastes, so naturally, I expect to be lumped with some music I can't stand.  As long as I never have to play a Jeff Buckley song, I will be happy.
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    @oldschool: I agree with you about Ted Nugent... that song of his in Guitar Hero WT was absolutely awful.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By oldschool
    @creamypies said:
    " @oldschool: I agree with you about Ted Nugent... that song of his in Guitar Hero WT was absolutely awful. "
    I grew up in the Ted Nugent era, being a teen in the 70s, but seriously, without the aid of drugs, how can those long solos be good?  It was a scourge in the 70s.   Even Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles are really testing my patience.  70s music didn't get good for me until punk arrived.

Music is an individual thing though.  I have no idea why people get upset about other people's opinions and tastes.  I could care less if anyone dislikes what I like.
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    @oldschool: Agreed. I couldn't care less if someone dislikes what I like... because at the end of the day; I'm enjoying it. Unless someone tells me that The Beatles suck... then I get angry.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By oldschool
    @creamypies said:
    " @oldschool: Agreed. I couldn't care less if someone dislikes what I like... because at the end of the day; I'm enjoying it. Unless someone tells me that The Beatles suck... then I get angry. "
    I do admit that I find the current generation being interested in The Beatles surprising.  I have an 18 year old friend (female) who just loves them.  She has so much merchandise of theirs.  I have some original 60s stuff, but then, I am old enough to  ^-^    She listens to it more than me. 
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    @oldschool: Heh yeah, I'm 20 and I love 'em. I think it just proves the quality of their stuff really.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Metamorphic said:
    " U wanna know who's good? Joe Satriani, Tom Morello, Kirk Hammett, Yngwie Malmsteen, Olli Tukiainen, Padge, Slash, Corey Beaulieu....pretty much anyone who can play more than what the average primary school kid can play.

Now I invite you to justify why Santana should be in GH5...
    "
    You're an idiot if your thinking that technical ability = better guitarist. Can you CREATE and compose music like he did? No. Music is about being creative and well... creating music and not being a fucking robot.  I've seen 15-17 year olds that can play cleaner, faster and better (more technical) than Kirk Hammett. Does that make them better than him? You know something else? Kirk Hammett has worked with Santana. He is also a fan of him. I'm sure that all the guitarists you have mentioned would agree that Santana is a great guitarist. When you have some musicians like Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Steve Lukather, Jaco Pastorius and more talking about how great he is and working with him, it just makes you look like a dumb ass.Your kind are the ones that make  dumb fucking "music" and make it on MTV.I rather listen to an orgasmic note than thousands of nonsense notes being thrown around for the hell of it. Even though I love some guitar virtuosos that can actually make music like Buckethead (inspired by Satana as well), Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Yngwie  Malmsteen (early stuff is good imo), and Paul Gilbert. "
    I agree with this, while I love Tom Morrello,buckethead and don't like Santana I still don't get why people assiociate fast fucking playing to good guitarists.  
    Besides its all a matter of opinion, I don't like santana cause I don't like liststening to his music, but Im not saying his guitar playing sucks 
    Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Carlos1408
    @ShalashaskaUK666 said:

" Well Hendrix has already been in a GH game b4, so theres not a whole lotta point putting him in again, as 4 Page I would rather they did a full on tribute to Zeppelin in their own game as oppose to just a guitar battle, I think th GH franchise is more suited to the guitarists I mentioned, instead of just saying 'Hendrix FTW!' over and over again. 
    Page hates GH anyway! http://www.spike.com/blog/jack-white-jimmy/82632
    "

Good cause I hate guitar hero too lol. :D It just doesn't do it for me. 
    Edit: I also wanted to say when it comes to making music and soloing in my opinion it's not all about the technique. To me it's about the emotion and the style; originality, having amazing technique of course is also great, but to be honest it's how you use that technique whether developed or not to come up with something that talks to people or you and just simply expresses the way you feel. What I'm really trying to say is that there is more than one way to be good at something, including guitar.
    Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@HandsomeDead said:
    As 4 HandsomeDead, I'm proud to be a guitar nerd! "
    Yeah, I can tell."
    This has to be one of the funniest things I've read on this site in quite a while. 

I never liked Santana, but then again I haven't heard much of his music. Stuff like "Black Magic Woman" I've always found to be too slow, and he kind of mumbles through it. Maybe it's just me, because I also happen to think Kirk is a good guitarist.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.