Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero 5

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

The fifth game in the core Guitar Hero franchise, and the third in the series from Activision and Neversoft. Though the game goes by the Guitar Hero moniker, it features full-band gameplay like its predecessor, Guitar Hero World Tour.

Courtney Love: "ACTIVISION SMUGLY BOASTING OF RAPE"

• 182 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

this is BANANAS!!Lunchboxes?fucking GUITARHERO?NOTtaking it 
    "and you wonder about Guitar Hero 5 disgusted? welcome to my NIGHTMARE. yeah well sue activision this is disgusting, but theres alot MORE"

That's just one of the tons of messages that Courtney Love has posted on Twitter, and one of several that "discusses" the appearance of her deceased husband, Kurt Cobain, in Activision's Guitar Hero 5. Here's another:

"now theyre just LIQUIDATING kurt and IM THE DEVIL? I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH GUITAR HERO I LOATHE IT AND FIND IT ODIOUS KURT WOULD HAVE TOO"

She also compared the Foo Fighters to Creed and Nickelback in there, somewhere, but let's try to stay focused. Here are a few more:

"ucking nmegafraud and youve got to show for it Kurt LUNCHBOXES< CONVERESE SNEAKERS AND ACTIVISION SMUGLY BOASTING OF RAPE"

"BRAGGING about this insane thing, fucking RECALLL and proper PR on this now. BRAGGING.activision gets DICK!"

"i cannot allow this to stand what next he fucking sings "Borderline" this is BANANAS!!Lunchboxes?fucking GUITARHERO?NOTtaking it"

Love goes on to claim (in her own special way) that her only interaction with the project was a request to see a better-looking avatar, something she says was just a form of dragging her feet on something she had no intention of ever approving. But apparently she isn't the only one with the ability to approve use of Cobain's likeness? We'll have to wait and see if anything concrete develops out of this, but I will say that I can't imagine Activision putting out a game like Guitar Hero 5 without ensuring that it was legally using all of the assets involved. 

[UPDATE] Activision has responded to this mess, and in a statement given to Joystiq, states that Love gave permission to use Cobain's likeness in Guitar Hero 5 in a "written statement signed by Courtney Love." Yep, that sounds about right. So, what do you think? Think she didn't realize what she signed, or do you think she's acting faux-outraged now that there's been some uproar surrounding the way the game uses Cobain's likeness? One weird side-effect of all this is that it really makes me want to play some Guitar Hero 5. So I'm going to do that.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

"and you wonder about Guitar Hero 5 disgusted? welcome to my NIGHTMARE. yeah well sue activision this is disgusting, but theres alot MORE"

That's just one of the tons of messages that Courtney Love has posted on Twitter, and one of several that "discusses" the appearance of her deceased husband, Kurt Cobain, in Activision's Guitar Hero 5. Here's another:

"now theyre just LIQUIDATING kurt and IM THE DEVIL? I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH GUITAR HERO I LOATHE IT AND FIND IT ODIOUS KURT WOULD HAVE TOO"

She also compared the Foo Fighters to Creed and Nickelback in there, somewhere, but let's try to stay focused. Here are a few more:

"ucking nmegafraud and youve got to show for it Kurt LUNCHBOXES< CONVERESE SNEAKERS AND ACTIVISION SMUGLY BOASTING OF RAPE"

"BRAGGING about this insane thing, fucking RECALLL and proper PR on this now. BRAGGING.activision gets DICK!"

"i cannot allow this to stand what next he fucking sings "Borderline" this is BANANAS!!Lunchboxes?fucking GUITARHERO?NOTtaking it"

Love goes on to claim (in her own special way) that her only interaction with the project was a request to see a better-looking avatar, something she says was just a form of dragging her feet on something she had no intention of ever approving. But apparently she isn't the only one with the ability to approve use of Cobain's likeness? We'll have to wait and see if anything concrete develops out of this, but I will say that I can't imagine Activision putting out a game like Guitar Hero 5 without ensuring that it was legally using all of the assets involved. 

[UPDATE] Activision has responded to this mess, and in a statement given to Joystiq, states that Love gave permission to use Cobain's likeness in Guitar Hero 5 in a "written statement signed by Courtney Love." Yep, that sounds about right. So, what do you think? Think she didn't realize what she signed, or do you think she's acting faux-outraged now that there's been some uproar surrounding the way the game uses Cobain's likeness? One weird side-effect of all this is that it really makes me want to play some Guitar Hero 5. So I'm going to do that.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

yeah seeing kurt on stage in that game really made me feel uneasy... they shouldnt capitalize on people's love for him to make their fucking game popular...

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Verdugo

This is one of those reasons why people just don't like Courtney Love.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By flaminghobo

Courtney needs some lessons in grammar.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Bigandtasty

wow, her tweets are...special. (Not just the ones about Kurt Cobain, click through to her newest tweets)

Though she has a somewhat valid point beneath the poorly written madness.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Metroid545

aw man at first glance I thought you had gone crazy jeff

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By thecleric

You should be more concerned about someone talented being reprized on that game

like, y'know, Johnny Cash

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Verdugo
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

"yeah seeing kurt on stage in that game really made me feel uneasy... they shouldnt capitalize on people's love for him to make their fucking game popular... "

I will give her one point, it DOES feel wierd seeing Kurt in the game. What with the suicide and all. But I don't agree with how she vents out her anger.
    Pinchpenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Pinchpenny
    WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Well composed Courtney, I totally understand exactly what your saying, not difficult to comprehend at all.

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By piropeople13

I didn't understand any of that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel

Twitter:  Annihilating the written language one syllable at a time.

In all seriousness though, I'm interested to see where this goes, though I'm not sure how much could be done since the game is already released.  Maybe if it came down to it, would Neversoft just release a patch that would lock Cobain out of playing any non-Nirvana music?

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By vaiz

Well isn't that just wacky?

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Oni

She was on some serious shit. What does half of that even mean?

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Scooper

She sounds like a well-composed women.

PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By PLWolf

She seriously needs to lay off the drugs. whew

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, the wondrous substance that is cocaine.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Afroman269

Man really? I really want to know who else has a say if Kurt's likeness can be used in GH. My guess is that Courtney just said ya do what you like whatever but now because of the backlash of his inclusion in the game and that he sings in any song, that she is changing sides to look good. Also with writing like her's, man no wonder Kurt went straight to the shotgun.

ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By ribeye

i haven't played it so can't say anything about that but courtney needs to lay off the whatever she's on before saddling up to the keyboard, it came across as rambling, drug induced nonsense..which is i guess what made her popular in the first place

Bartman3010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By Bartman3010

I dont follow any of these rock stars at all, but jesus. At least you dont have to have a proper education to be able to bullshit your way through life like this.

What I'm talking about is how her spelling and everything is just fucking terrible. I cant even tell if shes trying to make a coherent thought out of this pile of vomit she calls words.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheHBK

While I think Courtney love is a skank and bitch, she is his Wife and should have had a say, more than this and seems weird, I dont think she would have let them use his image.  And she also posts, "I am not Yoko Ono"   She has a point there, she didn't kill the beatles or nirvana.  In fact, we didnt know who she was until after.
    nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By nukesniper

I loved having Kurt Cobain in GH5, but only because I only used him for the proper songs (the two Nirvana songs). Same thing goes for Johnny Cash. The characters should keep their personalities across all songs. I mean, if you had James Hetfeild in GH:Metallica singing the vocals on the Queen song, it would have looked ridiculous as well, but they didn't allow for that in GH:Metallica. 

And, Love helped with the whole Cobain situation for GH5. This reminds me of where Gibson went along and helped with GH1-3 and then tried to sue them when the contract ran out.  

Basically, having Cobain or Cash sing their songs in GH5 is pretty cool in my opinion, but once you start TRYING to make it look stupid (which is what some users have done) that is when it looks stupid. I will never make Cobain sing a song that is not Nirvana, or at least close to the Nirvana line. Thats all there is to it.

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JohnDudebro

This is hilarious.

Courtney Love is CRAZY.

AndrooD2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By AndrooD2

"...I can't imagine Activision putting out a game like Guitar Hero 5 without ensuring that it was legally using all of the assets involved."

I'm almost certain they'd release it as long as they felt they were in a legally defensible position. They're not above using legal chicanery to get their way. Courtney Love is crazy, but what purpose does lying about her consent serve? Just looking for attention?

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#25  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Is this even confirmed to be her?

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By agentboolen

Its nice to see that Courtney Love is still a drunk!!!  Really she should drink less....  But in all truth it was disrespectful to have Curt doing all the extra stuff he does in this game.  I don't know who thought it would be o.k. but it's just a bit messed up.  But yea I'm sure someone signed a contract for Curt to be in this game...  Maybe they just got her really drunk one night and she signed it...  Or maybe this is all an act and she really is the reason Curt killed himself.  It could go either way in my book.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#27  Edited By citizenkane

Courtney Love is still alive?

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By Chris2KLee

I'm pretty sure things went like this: Awhile ago Activistion rolled up to Love with a truck full of money and she signed off on it without even reading it, then spent the rest of the day calling her friends for a massive smack party. Months later after she falls out of rehab again, she notices that there is a little uproar among some fans about the use of Kurt in the game. She decides to pay the crazy legal card in hopes of getting more cash for more smack. And the cycle continues. I know this probably sounds a bit harsh, but the woman's track record is hardly sterling. And I can't see Activision's legion of uber lawyers screwing up this badly. Best case for Love, out of court settlement just to shut her up or nothing at all.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tebbit

" yes i allowed malibu to be used on rockband, something in the way on soix geet under discreet usage in moulinrouge and thatsit" 

THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN!!!??? 
     My guess. Drunk as fuck.

Thejugglingbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Thejugglingbum

I am a huge Kurt Cobain fan and I was going to buy GH5 even though I knew he was in it. In fact I was a little happy because I thought maybe this would turn younger generations to his music. But when I saw the "Yeeeah Boy!" clip and him dancing I said fuck that. That's just disrespectful.

adam10001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By adam10001

Courtney killed him its all a scam

Kenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kenny
    @nukesniper: I think the problem people have with the game the most is that this game including Kurt Cobain and Johnny Cash wasn't meant to be an homage to them but was simply tacked on to try and further sales of the game. The Beatles Rock Band is meant to be an homage to the Beatles career and not simply a "HEY LOOK OVER HERE, WE'VE GOT STUFF TOO!"
    Mister_Snig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Mister_Snig

While Courtney Love never ceases to creep me out/make me laugh, I agree with her entirely. Kurt Cobain committed suicide because of stuff like this. Activision, Converse, and whoever else is capitalizing on his likeness are being disrespectful.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34  Edited By JonathanMoore

One crazy bitch.

snownightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By snownightmare

I fail to see how rape is involved

Avatar image for deactivated-5865c6a5c9438
    deactivated-5865c6a5c9438

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fuck

Brockly46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Brockly46

you would think shed be happy with the check she gets from this shit

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By warchief

wait...Courtney how did guitar hero get rights to use Kurt in the first place? 

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By AndrewB

Oh my God. The man died a while ago, and this is honoring his memory. What a tragedy! THEY SHULD B SOOED!1

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Kibblez

Why the hell is this such a big deal. Who gives a shit.

Funny stuff though

Slayeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Slayeric
    @adam10001 said:

" Courtney killed him its all a scam "

That's laughable. She didn't kill him. She was in New York sleeping around when he died.

EDIT: I still see people saying she killed him. Guys, that's just way off base. She's fucking battier than a cave, yes. But she'd never kill someone. Much less the father of her child no matter how smacked up they were.
    superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By superfriend

You would commit suicide if somebody talked to you like that- AND you were married to this person.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By iamjohn
    @TheHBK said:
    "she didn't kill the beatles or nirvana."
    She killed Kurt, though, which is pretty much the same thing.
    darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By darkjester74
    @AndrewB: That made me LOL.  Well done sir!  =)

I'm not a fan of music games but I do enjoy it when celebrities make fools of themselves.  :-D
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Linkyshinks

The raggedy arse heroin hoar needs to get fucked with a fix by the sound of things. 

I like Malibu and Celebrity Skin, but everything else she's done is total wank.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#47  Edited By AndrewB
    @darkjester74: Courtney Love is one big joke to begin with. And even if you don't buy into the conspiracy theory that she killed him, it's obvious she didn't care one bit for him to begin with.
    nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By nrain

She may say it like a fucking retard but she's right to sue the devil.  
    Fucking Bobby Kotick.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By lordofultima

Who the fuck cares this much about Cobain OR Guitar Hero? Jesus Christ.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Daniel

I have the Cobain converses, they're awesome. 

Also, Courtney Love is off her rocker.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.