Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero 5

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

The fifth game in the core Guitar Hero franchise, and the third in the series from Activision and Neversoft. Though the game goes by the Guitar Hero moniker, it features full-band gameplay like its predecessor, Guitar Hero World Tour.

Courtney Love: "ACTIVISION SMUGLY BOASTING OF RAPE"

• 182 results
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Media_Master

This was probably worked out in advance to sell games or at least get some publicity out of it.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By AthleticShark
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Yea but how many people shit there pants with joy when they found out he was gonna be in it. You cant say he wouldnt have wanted it because you didnt know him and hes not alive today to even have an opinion.
    Creelow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By Creelow

Seeing Lennon in Beatles doesn't bother me.

ledzep528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#154  Edited By ledzep528
    @Creelow: yeah but they didnt make john lennon rap and dance in rock band
    Karmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#155  Edited By Karmann

A little late, aren't we courtney...??

Avatar image for thefrostedgamer
    TheFrostedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#156  Edited By TheFrostedGamer

For some strange reason, after reading this post I spontaneously came up with the most ingenius idea for the next guitar hero/rock band game. Weird Al. Wouldn't that be so much better than the Beatles? And don't sit there and tell me Weird Al isn't as recognizable/marketable as the Beatles. 

Weird Al Yankovic: Rock Band
    Guitar Hero: Weird Al Yankovic
    Rock Hero: Weird Al: Origins 

Dude yes.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By TwoOneFive

He was a fucking rockstar, not jesus.  
    the studios that he signed on to have every right to milk the shit out of every dime they can make off that man. 

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheFrostedGamer said:
    " For some strange reason, after reading this post I spontaneously came up with the most ingenius idea for the next guitar hero/rock band game. Weird Al. Wouldn't that be so much better than the Beatles? And don't sit there and tell me Weird Al isn't as recognizable/marketable as the Beatles.   Weird Al Yankovic: Rock Band Guitar Hero: Weird Al Yankovic Rock Hero: Weird Al: Origins   Dude yes. "
    Weird Al is not as marketable/recognizable as the Beatles.  Sure Weird Al is great, but are you being serious?  Although Weird Al may be liked, there is such a larger audience that loves the Beatles, I personally don't know many people that love Weird Al.  Think globally for an instant, the Beatles have mass appeal world wide Weird Al, not so much when his parodies usually involve American culture.  Heck the Beatles are even more popular in America than Weird Al, so having a Weird Al Guitar Hero/ Rock Band do better than a Beatles is just not going to happen.  Don't get me wrong a Weird Al Guitar Hero/ Rock Band would be interesting, and probably fun due to the crazy nature of it, but better than the Beatles?  I doubt it.
    HarrySound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By HarrySound

It blows my mind to see Kurt in Guitar Hero 5
    clumsyg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#160  Edited By clumsyg
    @Mordukai said:

" As I've said before in an earlier post I made. 

Taken from a Rolling Stone article posted in August 8th of this year.  

" Indeed, securing the proper approvals was no small feat. Not only did Cobain’s widow Courtney Love have to sign off on behalf of the estate, so did former drummer Dave Grohl and Primary Wave Publishing, which administers the Nirvana catalog. “There’s a lot of moving parts to something like this,” Riley explains. “But it was about timing, not an issue of resistance. We almost did it for World Tour, but we couldn’t get it together. Then after three years of working with the different parties, it was like the perfect storm.”
    Naturally, Love did have some concerns. Namely, Cobain’s physique, Riley reveals. “Courtney supplied us with photos and videos and knew exactly what she wanted Kurt to look like,” he says. “She picked the wardrobe and hair style, which turned out to be the ‘Teen Spirit’ look, then we went back and forth over changes — some subtle, some not so subtle.” In column B? Love’s reference to the Greek God Adonis, whose youthful good looks made the male deity an object of desire. “She certainly had a physical image in mind,” says Riley. “She wanted him to have that sort of athletic definition but not overly so.” And while Love has long had a reputation for being difficult, Riley’s experience was anything but. “She was actually great to work with,” he says. “She got back with comments pretty quickly.” 

So you can deduce two things from that.  
    1. Courtney Love was high/drunk the whole time she was working with the development team and only realized what she has done when she sobered up. 
    2. She is strapped for cash and is looking for more money and this whole issue will likely get resolved  by the two parties having some sort of "out of court" settlement i.e. Activision gave Courtney Love more money. 
    3. She is a complete moron who can't remember shit as a result from years of drug and alcohol abuse and she will end up dying from an OD after confessing to having murdered Kurt Cobain.     
       Well thats three things...LOL  
      It's another ploy from her to get more money. She did the same thing when she sued Grohl an Novoselic over the "You Know You're Right" song when they wanted to include it in the box set. Now I hate her more then ever as she made me side with Activision on this matter. She after more money, period. Thats what Cobain is to her, A money train.  "

interesting. i read that rolling stone article.  

Not only did Cobain’s widow Courtney Love have to sign off on behalf of the estate, so did former drummer Dave Grohl and Primary Wave Publishing, which administers the Nirvana catalog. 

now check out this released statement from grohl and novoselic about gh5 where they say: 

The name and likeness of Kurt Cobain are the sole property of his estate - we have no control whatsoever in that area.  

this all sounds like he-said / she-said stuff. 
    JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#161  Edited By JudgeDread

she must have seen this... 

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Reverseface

COCAINE's A HELL OF A DRUG!!
    Sir_Redthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Sir_Redthorn

Well she certainly isn't very intelligent is she? Having Kurt in this game is not a selling point. I doubt any of us will be like, "Wow! I can play as a famous musician who killed himself! I have to buy this game!" <--@ Ahmad_Metallic. We will play the game because we like the game. We will play as Kurt because we love Kurt and miss his music stylings. This will interest younger kids who, God Forbid, Have never heard of Nirvana or even seen Kurt.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By darkjester74

This is one of these situations that I don't have any opinion about, but love to watch for sheer entertainment value.  =)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Oh that wacky Courtney Love. To believe she was nominated for an Oscar. I'm not much of a Guitar Hero man but I sure as hell want a Kurt Cobain Lunchbox and matching Thermos because it will be much more awesome then my last Lunchbox. Anyone remember Bucky O'Haire?

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#166  Edited By Undeadpool
    @haggis:

She DOES have the rights to his likeness, she's essentially his "estate" so when he died the rights to things like distributing his music and using his likeness reverted to HER. She signed away the rights for Activision to do this. She hates Grohl because the rest of Nirvana have been trying to get the rights to the songs and such ever since Cobain died.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#167  Edited By LordAndrew
    @clumsyg said:
    "interesting. i read that rolling stone article.  

Not only did Cobain’s widow Courtney Love have to sign off on behalf of the estate, so did former drummer Dave Grohl and Primary Wave Publishing, which administers the Nirvana catalog. 

now check out this released statement from grohl and novoselic about gh5 where they say: 

The name and likeness of Kurt Cobain are the sole property of his estate - we have no control whatsoever in that area.  
    this all sounds like he-said / she-said stuff.  "
    So regardless of whether Dave Grohl and Primary Wave were involved, she still let Activision use Cobain's likeness on behalf of his estate. She was perhaps even the sole person who let them do it.  
    She let them do it. It's her own damn fault, so she should stop bitching about it.
    jamBOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#168  Edited By jamBOT

Um... i'm no fan of Courtney Love, but was she drunk or high when she signed the agreement?  "A likeness in the game", but not lunch boxes?  Tacky much?  I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt.  As the wife, I would think she'd KNOW better then anyone, how he fell about this kind of thing.  Using Nirvana songs in GH is one thing, but LUNCH BOXES?  

Do you at lease have to "unlock" him as a character?  Just to tone down some of this tackiness.  She had to know there'd be a back lash, right?  Maybe she was high at the meeting and wasn't paying attention.  (Like that Senator who got caught playing solitaire, during the Budget meeting)  Maybe she's just ditzy and was all, "la la la, sure ok, la la la la."

jamBOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By jamBOT

I think she was high.  They spin-ed the meeting to her with words like "We're going to honor Kurt legacy" and, "It must have been hard for you, going through all that" --- anything to make her sign the papers.  Activision probably knew she was a big dummy, and high at the time, but once they got her to sign the papers -- she'd be stuck.

I believe she is being "honest" in her DRUNKEN OUTRAGE.  Why?  She didn't think the situation through completely what Activision had in mind in their definition of "Using his likeness" actually meant, because she was high at that meeting, and already kind of dumb.

(However, I would pay money to see Kurt Cobain sing "Borderline", by Madonna)

VenomVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By VenomVixen

i think all of this is just a cheap stunt from activision trying to steal Beetles Rockband Thunder. why spend millions in advertising like harmonix/MTV did with B RB when u can pull off something like this and keep ppl talking about it. way much cheaper n more effective.

Joevit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Joevit

The dude is dead. He also killed music. How ever I hated 80's music but killed the metal seen. Love needs too take the same steps as her dead old man did. Blow her head off.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#172  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Woah there...

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By ryanwho
    @jamBOT said:
    "

I think she was high.  They spin-ed the meeting to her with words like "We're going to honor Kurt legacy" and, "It must have been hard for you, going through all that" --- anything to make her sign the papers.  Activision probably knew she was a big dummy, and high at the time, but once they got her to sign the papers -- she'd be stuck.

I believe she is being "honest" in her DRUNKEN OUTRAGE.  Why?  She didn't think the situation through completely what Activision had in mind in their definition of "Using his likeness" actually meant, because she was high at that meeting, and already kind of dumb.

(However, I would pay money to see Kurt Cobain sing "Borderline", by Madonna)

"
    I look forward to her court appeal.
    Your honor, in her defense, she was high and dumb at the time.
    jamBOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By jamBOT
    @ryanwho:  

HAHAHAHAHA!  Yeah.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#175  Edited By maxszy

That's... a little off the wall.

mrspoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By mrspoon
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#178  Edited By Crono
    @Boom_goes_the_dynamite said:
    " @TheFrostedGamer said:
    " For some strange reason, after reading this post I spontaneously came up with the most ingenius idea for the next guitar hero/rock band game. Weird Al. Wouldn't that be so much better than the Beatles? And don't sit there and tell me Weird Al isn't as recognizable/marketable as the Beatles.   Weird Al Yankovic: Rock Band Guitar Hero: Weird Al Yankovic Rock Hero: Weird Al: Origins   Dude yes. "
    Weird Al is not as marketable/recognizable as the Beatles.  Sure Weird Al is great, but are you being serious? "
    /facepalm
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanwho said:
    " I look forward to her court appeal. Your honor, in her defense, she was high and dumb at the time. "
    Courtney Love is high and dumb ALL the time.
    Poor Francis Bean :(
    Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Crono said:
    " @Boom_goes_the_dynamite said:
    " @TheFrostedGamer said:
    Weird Al is not as marketable/recognizable as the Beatles.  Sure Weird Al is great, but are you being serious? "
    /facepalm "
    Facepalm on me?
    RealEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By RealEddie

I dont care if Cortney is right or wrong.

I still think Activision went to far when they incorporated Kurt in the game. For a game that is suposed to be a tribute to rock and the people behind the music they have a poor sens of finesse and respect for the art and artists.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Hey, quick! Activision, add Madonna's Borderline as DLC! I'll download it! I'm sure everyone else here will too!

Nickba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#183  Edited By Nickba
    @RealEddie said:
    "I dont care if Cortney is right or wrong. I still think Activision went to far when they incorporated Kurt in the game. For a game that is suposed to be a tribute to rock and the people behind the music they have a poor sens of finesse and respect for the art and artists. "

I haven't played the game yet (nor will I ever) but I don't think incorporating Kurt into the game was a bad idea. From what I've heard though its more the way they portray him that really is degrading. I think Love had a right to speak her mind but she could of definitely done it way more professionally.
    Newtime1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Newtime1

I'm guessing she was most likely cool with Kurt being in the game but fucking lunchboxes!?
    are you fucking kidding me!
    this is one of the few times i would ever stand behind Courtney Love because they seriously are just raping kurt and milking it for all its worth. 
    It was fucked up to even have him in the game but the fact that they would take the exploitation even further.
    FUCK YOU ACTIVISION!
    Quit rehashing and raping.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.