Guitar Hero 5, Bringing Back Artists From The Grave... Virtually!

Posted by MachoFantastico (4298 posts) -

GUITAR HERO 5, BRINGING BACK ARTISTS FROM THE GRAVE... VIRTUALLY!

Kurt Cobain is reborn... virtually for us all to feel slightly weird about.
Now for those who read my blogs, you'll know I've talked about The Beatles: Rock Band quite a bit lately and how excited I am for that game. But it's not the only music rhythm game to get a release next month, it's also not the only music rhythm game to virtually bring much adored musical artists back from the dead. For one could not forget that the latest Guitar Hero game is set to hit stores in early September.  

Stunningly named Guitar Hero 5, it's the fifth installment of the hugely successful Guitar Hero franchise. It only feels like yesterday that I was reviewing Guitar Hero: World Tour, oh how time flies when your strumming you favourite plastic guitar. It's been interesting to see how Guitar Hero developers Neversoft have gone about dveloping this latest game, it almost seems as if the Guitar Hero franchise is looking to now please a slightly different crowd to it's main competitor Rock Band. There now taking a more 'party' orientated approach with new and rather intriguing modes. We'll wait and see how well this works out for all involved.  

But I'm not going to go on a 'moaning git' rant about the fact that Guitar Hero 5 features much loved musical figures who are no longer with us. But considering I felt weird about playing Guitar Hero: World Tour with a virtual representation of Jimi Hendrix, I'd hate to wonder how I'd feel playing with grunge legend Kurt Cobain. While I'm not a Kurt Cobain superfan, I do have huge respect for both the musical genre he helped bring to fame and the man himself. I'm all for adding some modern musical legends into a Guitar Hero game, afterall they are technically Guitar Heroes in their own right. But dead ones, well that feels slightly uncomfortable to me. But maybe that's just me and I'm being a total child about it all.  

Did I mention you could play with your Xbox 360 avatars now, doesn't that look like fun... it does... right? (sarcasm)
Though considering that most gamers think Activision/Neversoft are 'milking the cow' with the Guitar Hero franchise these days, adding musical legends like Johnny Cash probably wouldn't lower their popularity levels any lower. But is it such a big deal, probably not. Afterall, Neversoft would have needed the agreement of the families of these artists to have them in a Guitar Hero game in the first place. So if there fine with it, then we should be right? I honestly don't know, Guitar Hero 5 isn't looking to bad actually and it as a rather interesting setlist.  

While I won't lie and tell you that I love the Guitar Hero franchise these days, it's still capable of producing good music rhythm games and even though you get the feeling it's slipping futher and futher behind Harmonix's Rock Band franchise, I still think it's worth checking out. Yes some of the extra features seem rather stupid and yes it's popular to hate Activision whenever you get the chance (especially if your from the UK). But it's always been a solid series for those who love their music, and hopefully Guitar Hero 5 will be no different. Seeing a virtual Kurt Cobain in Guitar Hero 5 does have one great side effect though, at least we finally get to play Smells Like Teen Spirit. 

What are your thoughts on seeing virtual representations of much loved musical figures in a Guitar Hero game? 

Thanks for Reading! 
Follow me on Twitter if your the slightly bit bored (JosephBayliss). 

#1 Posted by MachoFantastico (4298 posts) -

GUITAR HERO 5, BRINGING BACK ARTISTS FROM THE GRAVE... VIRTUALLY!

Kurt Cobain is reborn... virtually for us all to feel slightly weird about.
Now for those who read my blogs, you'll know I've talked about The Beatles: Rock Band quite a bit lately and how excited I am for that game. But it's not the only music rhythm game to get a release next month, it's also not the only music rhythm game to virtually bring much adored musical artists back from the dead. For one could not forget that the latest Guitar Hero game is set to hit stores in early September.  

Stunningly named Guitar Hero 5, it's the fifth installment of the hugely successful Guitar Hero franchise. It only feels like yesterday that I was reviewing Guitar Hero: World Tour, oh how time flies when your strumming you favourite plastic guitar. It's been interesting to see how Guitar Hero developers Neversoft have gone about dveloping this latest game, it almost seems as if the Guitar Hero franchise is looking to now please a slightly different crowd to it's main competitor Rock Band. There now taking a more 'party' orientated approach with new and rather intriguing modes. We'll wait and see how well this works out for all involved.  

But I'm not going to go on a 'moaning git' rant about the fact that Guitar Hero 5 features much loved musical figures who are no longer with us. But considering I felt weird about playing Guitar Hero: World Tour with a virtual representation of Jimi Hendrix, I'd hate to wonder how I'd feel playing with grunge legend Kurt Cobain. While I'm not a Kurt Cobain superfan, I do have huge respect for both the musical genre he helped bring to fame and the man himself. I'm all for adding some modern musical legends into a Guitar Hero game, afterall they are technically Guitar Heroes in their own right. But dead ones, well that feels slightly uncomfortable to me. But maybe that's just me and I'm being a total child about it all.  

Did I mention you could play with your Xbox 360 avatars now, doesn't that look like fun... it does... right? (sarcasm)
Though considering that most gamers think Activision/Neversoft are 'milking the cow' with the Guitar Hero franchise these days, adding musical legends like Johnny Cash probably wouldn't lower their popularity levels any lower. But is it such a big deal, probably not. Afterall, Neversoft would have needed the agreement of the families of these artists to have them in a Guitar Hero game in the first place. So if there fine with it, then we should be right? I honestly don't know, Guitar Hero 5 isn't looking to bad actually and it as a rather interesting setlist.  

While I won't lie and tell you that I love the Guitar Hero franchise these days, it's still capable of producing good music rhythm games and even though you get the feeling it's slipping futher and futher behind Harmonix's Rock Band franchise, I still think it's worth checking out. Yes some of the extra features seem rather stupid and yes it's popular to hate Activision whenever you get the chance (especially if your from the UK). But it's always been a solid series for those who love their music, and hopefully Guitar Hero 5 will be no different. Seeing a virtual Kurt Cobain in Guitar Hero 5 does have one great side effect though, at least we finally get to play Smells Like Teen Spirit. 

What are your thoughts on seeing virtual representations of much loved musical figures in a Guitar Hero game? 

Thanks for Reading! 
Follow me on Twitter if your the slightly bit bored (JosephBayliss). 

#2 Edited by BranDong (238 posts) -

I don't mind it at all... I know there are a lot of people saying Kurt would never want to be in this.  But I think he would.. it's a great platform for music.. especially since hardly anyone buys CDs anymore and television rarely plays good music anymore.  Also guitar hero is mainly for kids and its a great way to get youth into music.  Kurt was young when he died.. he had a very immature attitude towards life... IMO. 

#3 Posted by Hailinel (22704 posts) -
@BranDong: Immature in what way?  Cobain was troubled, no doubt, but how was his attitude towards life immature?

Also, I really don't think that he would have agreed to do this.  It's one thing to have Nirvana's music in a game.  It's another to have a virtual Kurt Cobain singing and strumming.  There's just something weird about seeing him in the game.  I understand what Neversoft is doing by including deceased figures like Johnny Cash and Cobain in the game, but unlike other musicians that have made appearances, they really have no say in their appearances.
#4 Edited by Timma1083 (566 posts) -

Honestly I find it pretty disrespectful to have dead musicians in the game. I was very uneasy about Jimi, but I accepted his estate's comment that "It would be what Jimi would've wanted". 

However, I find what they are doing with Kurt completely disrespectful to him and his wishes. He was against this type of stuff, and then making him play Smells Like Teen Spirit when he's even said he doesn't like how popular the song is just kind of makes me hate the choice to have him included in the game. And the fact that you can play as him on any song and he jumps around like a Glam Rocker and is a righty is just disgraceful. They should've made it like Jimi Hendrix was in GH:WT, where Jimi could play only his songs and none of the others. 

Overall I'm against having artists in these games anyway, dead or alive. It just doesn't feel right to me.

#5 Posted by BranDong (238 posts) -
@Hailinel:  I change my mind about what I said about him being immature.  I think that I just have a different opinion on the world than Kurt did.. I for one believe in working hard finding someone to love and having a family... and not givng much of a care about the politcal bullshit that goes on in the world. I don't let that shit affect me.  I honeslty think that if he had lived to be in his 30's theres no way in hell he would kill himself.  Anyways i'm not that KEEN on what all was troubling him.. but from what I hear its all about becoming famous ... and commercialized (sp)  and he had stomach problems.   Seems like very weak ass reasons to kill yourself.  It's not like everyone around you, that you loved died or anything like that.  It all seems very selfish to me  that he did that... whatever nevermind

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.