New Drums For Guitar Hero 5

• 66 results
Posted by Jeff (3627 posts) -
Engadget noticed this pair of photos of what's presumably the new drum kit that Activision will release alongside Guitar Hero 5. The shots were, I guess, up on RedOctane's official store blog, but they've since been pulled. 

I know some of you (Ryan included) felt that the Guitar Hero World Tour kit was the best set of video game drums on the market. So what do you think about an upgraded version of those drums? 

#1 Posted by Jeff (3627 posts) -
Engadget noticed this pair of photos of what's presumably the new drum kit that Activision will release alongside Guitar Hero 5. The shots were, I guess, up on RedOctane's official store blog, but they've since been pulled. 

I know some of you (Ryan included) felt that the Guitar Hero World Tour kit was the best set of video game drums on the market. So what do you think about an upgraded version of those drums? 

#2 Posted by DaSoul (228 posts) -

FIRST!!!Just kidding,i might get the new gh for these

#3 Posted by phlegms (1607 posts) -

Im holding out for those sweet Beatles Rock Band drums.

#4 Posted by Bucketdeth (8024 posts) -

I won't be getting this, but atleast the drums look of higher quality.

#5 Edited by damnboyadvance (4061 posts) -

I've never bought Guitar Hero, and never will. I'll stick with Rock Band. The only rhythm game by Activision I'm getting is DJ Hero.

#6 Posted by MythDarK (552 posts) -
I really hope they work better then the drums from World Tour.  Those where sometimes low sensitive, had to hit really hard on the red one.

@DaSoul
said:
" FIRST!!!Just kidding,i might get the new gh for these "
I bet you're just sitting in front of the screen and updating the website every 10 seconds.
#7 Posted by Naikori (53 posts) -

They look okay. Nothing that special. I'll just stick with my Rock Band drums.

#8 Posted by Rinkalicous (1340 posts) -

I have more drums then you can shake a stick at. Hah!

#9 Posted by papercut (3504 posts) -

is that the wii version? im sure i see a wii remote strapped in there

#10 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Well they look nice, I guess if the build quality is as good as the last, then there's no doubt it's a fine set, possibly finer than the last with natural improvements.

#11 Posted by lemon360 (1102 posts) -

i haven't liked music games since rock band 1. got really boring

#12 Posted by Keeng (1001 posts) -

Pass. Why buy Guitar Hero when Rock Band exists?

#13 Posted by OmarStyles9 (30 posts) -

And why buy Rock Band when acoustic guitars exist? Just kidding, These drums look good, but its the game that attracts people, and Rock Band 2 is THE game but I dont see GH5 being better than RB2, so yeah.

#14 Posted by PLWolf (930 posts) -

Whether you like RB or GH, it doesn't matter, the GH Drums are still the best on the market and these look awesome.

#15 Posted by erinfizz (1048 posts) -

I get the feeling I would be the crap out of my hand on that controller area. That set is pretty tho...

#16 Posted by Akeldama (4253 posts) -

ah for fuck sake 

#17 Posted by Hobbies (976 posts) -

They look a lot nicer than the current World Tour drums, however I prefer Rock Band's kit with the added cymbal expansions.

#18 Posted by Death_Burnout (3797 posts) -

No more fucking instruments...please!! im begging you...ah forget it.

#19 Posted by JJOR64 (19023 posts) -

Looks cool but, I not buying anymore instruments unless they came with super hot babes.  I was super disappointed with the GH:WT guitar.  I thought it was ass.

#20 Posted by MrRedwine (430 posts) -

I'm getting the Beatles drums because I'm kind of a sucker.

#21 Edited by ezdude (397 posts) -

yes, yes, yes, yes Keep going, keep making it more and more complicated until it totally becomes a real drumset which I can use to practice actual drumming!!!!

#22 Edited by skrutop (3615 posts) -

If I didn't already have the RB2 drums and the cymbal pack, I might consider upgrading to this. 

I really don't like how the wii-mote creche sits so far out in front.  It feel like I'd inadvertently hit it all of the time.  I'm guessing that the 360/PS3 versions are a little more compact in that space.

#23 Posted by DeadMonkeys (827 posts) -

I guess GH is entitled to a drum kit update (since RB has had 2 sets) but...
FUCK this SHIT. As long as we keep buying these plastic instruments, they will continue making them. STOP BUYING THIS CRAP.

#24 Posted by DanceDanceKennypants (632 posts) -

I might actually buy these.

I've been holding out until they (toy drum manufacturers, basically) got the hang of it.

Maybe it's time to jump in. I'm old and conservative now, y'see.

#25 Posted by Artemis_D (817 posts) -

You know what?  Fuck this.  Fuck this.  There was a time when I was all about Guitar Hero.  I loved rhythm games SO much.  Then around Guitar Hero 3, things just went sour. 

Fuck it!  I'm not buying anymore of this crap!

#26 Posted by pepper (304 posts) -

Um, what has changed?

#27 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

Still haven't gotten a band game, so idk. I want the Beatles game though.

#28 Posted by Jerome85 (258 posts) -

ill keep my ions

#29 Posted by Reverseface (1221 posts) -

Me beaty beat drum

#30 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

I've never bothered to set up my drums from the first RB box.  I just don't have the room for them and the time I played a friends they were far too loud for me to even consider doing so.  I've heard that the later drums addressed the noise issue, but I'm not dropping more money when I've got a set of unused drums in the first place, not to mention the lack of room again.

Maybe Rock Revolution got it right after all, it's small at least.

#31 Posted by Nat3TheGreat13 (260 posts) -

I have no  room for more peripherals.

#32 Posted by jakob187 (21691 posts) -

Seriously, Ryan?  I mean, sure, I guess for being the pack-in set that comes with a game, the World Tour kit might have been "the best", but the Ion Drum Rocker kit is DEFINITELY the way to go.  Absolutely INCREDIBLE set of drums for the music/rhythm games.  The pedal feels right (as compared to the lame-ass pedal with the World Tour set), and the pads and cymbals were also quality and felt right.

I don't know.  Maybe it's just that it felt awkward to me playing "Master of Puppets" on the World Tour set after rocking out on an Ion kit for so long.  =  /

#33 Posted by FlipperDesert (2096 posts) -

I haven't brought a full band game yet so... Sure?

#34 Posted by TheHBK (5508 posts) -

I like the look of these better, the full cymbal should also make for some better playing.  The logitech ones look crazy though but aparently, they will cost a pretty penny. $230 if I remember correctly but those only have the 3rd of the cymbal.

#35 Posted by BinaryDragon (638 posts) -

The foot pedal sucks on the GT drum set. Have they fixed that?

#36 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -
@Rinkalicous said:
" I have more drums then you can shake a stick at. Hah! "
*Cue Drum Roll* These drums seem like pretty good quality, still not buying them though. I have no room for ANY plastic instruments.
#37 Posted by Surllio (28 posts) -

Hey, the cymbals don't look like crap this time out.  They look like the rock band cymbals.

And look, a bar to rest the foot petal on....just like rock bands.

At this point I'm waiting on Guitar Hero: Rock Band but not really edition.

#38 Posted by Oni (2104 posts) -

Own ION set, thusly do not care. For what it's worth, the World Tour drums were pretty shitty. Technical issues abound. When it didn't have those, the quality of the drumkit was offset by the less-than-stellar drum charts on GHWT, and using them on Rock Band was terrible as it would map toms to cymbals and weird shit like that.

#39 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

This is getting disgusting. When will it end?

#40 Posted by RoyaleWifCheese (558 posts) -

No more, goddamn it! What was wrong with the last kit? Are we getting a new unlicensed guitar too?

#41 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I did not like Guitar Hero: World Tour's drums; these will probably not be much better. PASS.

#42 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1738 posts) -

I didn't like the quality of the first, and the fact that the pedal wasn't attached to the drumkit. If RB2 peripherals doesn't get realeased here soon, Activision will probably get my money, which is a thought I hate.

#43 Posted by Vision (796 posts) -

It sure is going in the right direction especially with the cymbals.

But the brain is horribly placed it should either be where it was before or to the side.

#44 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

I'm wondering how well the kick petal holds up. I have the rb2 set with all 3 symbols and the kick-petal is STILL garbage. my buddy plays the kits a hella lot so he broke the petal ( he mostly plays expert so) even though the thing has a metal plate on it the thing is still wonky and shitty.

I'm hoping the GH petal works better like the Ion kit's does.

#45 Posted by TerraDelu (501 posts) -

All drum kits should come with solid metal kick pedals. The medal plate on the Rock Band 2 kit still broke after my fat ass rocked that shit for a while. I since bought a no-name all metal pedal, and it's great, except it doesn't attatch to the bottom of the kit.

#46 Posted by Jayzilla (2567 posts) -

yeah, instead of 3 or 4 different kits, i just opted to buy a real kit. i hear girls like real m usicians over fake ones. and the ones that like fake drummers more than real ones, my mom said to stay away from them.

#47 Posted by Kolonel_Kool (332 posts) -

I need these!  Wait... I have RB2 drums.  How much plastic do I need?

#48 Posted by Cowman (673 posts) -
@FuzzYLemoN said:
" This is getting disgusting. When will it end? "
NEVER!
#49 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4896 posts) -

Most of us could care less. Last Guitar Hero game I bought was 3, and I bought Rock Band, but I can't bring myself to buy Rock Band 2, basically a game I already own, since all of my DLC works with 1, no reason to buy 2.

#50 Posted by Grim_Fandango (258 posts) -

Shit... More crap in my room, touche guitar hero... touche....

Look's an aweful like the Ion drums for Rock Band, meh, i'm sold.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.