vibratingdonkey's Guitar Hero 5 (Xbox 360) review

Jack in a box.

Hadn't bought one of these since Guitar Hero 3. Felt like it was time to give the genre a try again. What I was actually interested in purchasing was Rock Band 2, but there's no RB2 guitar bundle here in Europe because something. Was looking at World Tour for €60, but the latest GH guitar, GH5 and World Tour for €90 sounded enticing as I clicked the pre-order button.

Turns out there's no GH5 guitar bundle in Europe either. What Activision has done is attempt to get rid of their stock of plastic World Tour guitars by offloading them to Europe and into GH5 boxes. The new guitar was the primary reason for my pre-order.

So **** that, **** Activision and **** this game.

As for the game itself, I couldn't help but notice as I was playing it that, hey, I'm kind of not enjoying myself particularly much. It's kind of like playing GHIII again, which I did two years ago already and still can. The whole genre appears to have lost its appeal to me through its inability to evolve the bits I care about. I'm purely interested in playing the guitar in these games, and extremely little has changed between GHIII and this in that regard. Not that I know if anything could to be honest.

But it might have been alright had the soundtrack not been terrible. There's a little of everything. No one likes everything. Especially me. So what you get, is little. This is why I'm a proponent of DLC for these games, as opposed to actual games. Why I was planning to purchase RB2 in the first place, it sounds like a splendid platform for that stuff. But now that Activision has totally killed my spirit I'm not sure if I'll bother.

So yeah, big disappointment and waste of money.

Let's cheer up with Jimi Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower
(which is NOT featured in GH5 :( or anywhere else. :( )