Since the first of December I've been waiting for my new issue of Game Informer to be delivered to my house. Why you ask? The first details of Guitar Hero: Metallica are included in the magazine, and I've been ravenous for info on this game since July when it was accidentally unveiled. The fucking magazine has yet to show up, but the fine folks at Giant Bomb have pulled through and gotten the details on the game. Here is my assessment on it all thus far:
The Setlist So Far:
- Enter Sandman A no brainer really. I like the song a lot but it's gotten a bit tired over the years. Nevertheless, it was fun to play in Rock Band 1.
- For Whom the Bell Tolls Quite possibly my favorite Metallica song. I could listen to this song a million times and not get sick of it. I have like four live cuts of it on my iPod.
- Fuel One of the best songs on Reload, second to Unforgiven II. Really fun song to listen to, and probably to play.
- Hit the Lights One of the top three songs on Kill 'Em All, the solo is really gunna be brutal even by Metallica standards.
- King Nothing A great selection from Load, I just hope they put Bleeding Me in the final game.
- Master of Puppets No brainer, knew this would have to be in the game.
- No Leaf Clover A surprising choice. For those of you who don't know, No Leaf Clover was a song performed exclusively on the live album S&M, which was performed with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra. It's a good tune, and it's good to know that they're going to be sampling their entire catalogue.
- Nothing Else Matters One of the tamer Metallica songs (it being a ballad and all), it's still a great choice because everyone knows it.
- Sad But True Another Black Album song. Not my favorite from the album, but I'd still play it.
- The Unforgiven I really hope they do The Unforgiven II as well, seeing as how this is in there along with Unforgiven III as DLC. That would make my day.
- Where I May Roam Might be my favorite song on the black album. AND THE ROAD BECOMES MY BRIDE!!!!!!
- Alice in Chains - No Excuses Great AiC tune. No complaints here.
- Bob Seger - Turn the Page I like Seger, though the song might be a bit boring since it's a bit
- Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather Judas Priest, no surprises here. I like the song.
- Kyuss - Demon Cleaner Never heard of the song...I'll download and possibly amend this section later.
- Lynyrd Skynyrd - Tuesdays Gone Nice to see a good Skynyrd song in here.
- Mastodon - Blood and Thunder I haven't heard this song yet, but Colony of Birchmen was pretty good in RB2.
- Michael Schenker Group - Armed and Ready No comment, haven't heard it.
- Samhain - Mother of Mercy Interesting to say the least. My friend is a huge fan of Danzig and the Misfits and has told me about Samhain before, and that they were a short little side project helmed by Danzig after he left the Misfits. I really hope they put the Misfit's Last Caress in there, as it's my favorite song by them.
- The Sword - Black River I don't know anything about the Sword other than they wrote that song Freya from GH2 and that they're presently touring with Metallica. Freya was a pretty cool song though.
DOUBLE BASS SUPPORT:
It was uncovered when GHWT launched that you could use double bass pedals in RB2 if you used the GHWT kit. I don't have a GHWT kit, and I lack the coordination for double bass, but this is amazing news for drummers, as many Metallica songs use double bass. The expert plus difficulty for drums should really make things interesting.
OTHER COOL STUFF:
Like in GH: Aerosmith, the game is gunna have videos and trivia about the band, along with new tones for GH Tunes. This is welcome news since I can never find a really good tone when I want to make a cover of a song in GH Tunes. I almost had a cover of the Unforgiven going but it fell flat after thirty seconds. Sounds good, but the song list is what really has me excited about the game.
What do you guys think? Are you pumped, or do you not give a shit?