Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero: Metallica

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 29, 2009

Guitar Hero: Metallica is the second band-specific game in the Guitar Hero franchise. It features 28 songs from the world famous heavy-metal band Metallica, as well as 21 guest acts - picked by Metallica themselves.

GH Metallica Impressions

METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By METALM1LITIA91

First I just have to start by saying I'm a die hard metallica fan so some of this will be highly biased lol.

I just have to say as a fan I absolutely love this game. It really caters to the fans and gives them a true Metallica experience.  I was expecting so much out of this game and so far it has delivered. I thought it would be much easier to way out my pros and cons below

The Good

• Very Accurate to the bands real stage pressence - I have never had the blessing of seeing Metallica live but youtube has helped me out so much. James and Lars's motion is dead on accurate. Their game manurism's and real life selves are nearly identicle. You can tell that a lot of attention was paid to this aspect. While I was playing through For Whom The Bell Tolls it is customary for Trujillo to do his little crab walk thing and I was amazed to see him actually do it in the game as well. Very awesome for metallica fans.
    • Great Song Choice - The setlist is a great highlight of Metallica's career. They have the best songs off every album (although there were just a few songs I really wanted to see). Also a lot of Metallica's well documented influences are there including Michael Schencer (I know thats not it but its very close lol), King Diamond, and Judas Priest.
    • Lots of bonus content - This is like the cherry on top for Metallica fans. The bonus features have everything from live performances to making of the game like stuff. My favorite video by far was when Metallica did the Mercyful Fate Medley with King Diamond. Also there was a great video where Lars was having a hard timing capturing the intro for Shortest Straw... it was hilarious.

The Bad

• Old Bass Players Are Almost Completely Dissed - I read that they didn't want to include them as characters because they didn't want to disrespect Rob but they failed to capture Cliff Burton (RIP) and Jason Newstead's legacy. There are a few Metallifacts that mention them but I think that hey deserved more than just a "Hey they played this song". I think each should have had a video or something dedicated to them or something (especially Cliff). If I didn't know much about the game I would not nearly understand what each former bassist really meant to the band.
    • Kirk Hammet's Motion Capture - There is nothing to say but how off this part was. I know he doesn't have that much of a stage pressence but all the same his in game appearance is just weird. The way he moves around and gets into the song just looks all wrong.
    • Very strange silence in some songs - Sometimes when the signature riff comes in the sound goes completely quiet and has no explanation. It cuts off the signature riff of songs like Seek and Destroy, Frantic, and there was one more  but I can't remember what it is. Anyway its just strange and has no place. The highway shows a drum fill but the guitar audio should still be playing. Completely messes up those songs for me. If there is a way to turn the silence off please fill me in.
    • Some bands that should have been included - Here are a few bands that should have been included: ANTHRAX!!!!! (They were one of the big four of Metal and I feel that they should have been  included. If you want to say, well Megadeth is a part of the big four, then you clearly don't know about the bad feeling between Megadeth and Metallica), TRIVIUM (Big time influenced by Metallica), Misfits (Big influence on Metallica), and Testament (great Bay Area thrash band)

Overall the value of this game is that it gives a great experience for fans. It has a lot for non metallica fans but I understand its not for everyone. As a fan I absolutely love this game. 1,000,000 stars out of 10 lol.

METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By METALM1LITIA91

First I just have to start by saying I'm a die hard metallica fan so some of this will be highly biased lol.

I just have to say as a fan I absolutely love this game. It really caters to the fans and gives them a true Metallica experience.  I was expecting so much out of this game and so far it has delivered. I thought it would be much easier to way out my pros and cons below

The Good

• Very Accurate to the bands real stage pressence - I have never had the blessing of seeing Metallica live but youtube has helped me out so much. James and Lars's motion is dead on accurate. Their game manurism's and real life selves are nearly identicle. You can tell that a lot of attention was paid to this aspect. While I was playing through For Whom The Bell Tolls it is customary for Trujillo to do his little crab walk thing and I was amazed to see him actually do it in the game as well. Very awesome for metallica fans.
    • Great Song Choice - The setlist is a great highlight of Metallica's career. They have the best songs off every album (although there were just a few songs I really wanted to see). Also a lot of Metallica's well documented influences are there including Michael Schencer (I know thats not it but its very close lol), King Diamond, and Judas Priest.
    • Lots of bonus content - This is like the cherry on top for Metallica fans. The bonus features have everything from live performances to making of the game like stuff. My favorite video by far was when Metallica did the Mercyful Fate Medley with King Diamond. Also there was a great video where Lars was having a hard timing capturing the intro for Shortest Straw... it was hilarious.

The Bad

• Old Bass Players Are Almost Completely Dissed - I read that they didn't want to include them as characters because they didn't want to disrespect Rob but they failed to capture Cliff Burton (RIP) and Jason Newstead's legacy. There are a few Metallifacts that mention them but I think that hey deserved more than just a "Hey they played this song". I think each should have had a video or something dedicated to them or something (especially Cliff). If I didn't know much about the game I would not nearly understand what each former bassist really meant to the band.
    • Kirk Hammet's Motion Capture - There is nothing to say but how off this part was. I know he doesn't have that much of a stage pressence but all the same his in game appearance is just weird. The way he moves around and gets into the song just looks all wrong.
    • Very strange silence in some songs - Sometimes when the signature riff comes in the sound goes completely quiet and has no explanation. It cuts off the signature riff of songs like Seek and Destroy, Frantic, and there was one more  but I can't remember what it is. Anyway its just strange and has no place. The highway shows a drum fill but the guitar audio should still be playing. Completely messes up those songs for me. If there is a way to turn the silence off please fill me in.
    • Some bands that should have been included - Here are a few bands that should have been included: ANTHRAX!!!!! (They were one of the big four of Metal and I feel that they should have been  included. If you want to say, well Megadeth is a part of the big four, then you clearly don't know about the bad feeling between Megadeth and Metallica), TRIVIUM (Big time influenced by Metallica), Misfits (Big influence on Metallica), and Testament (great Bay Area thrash band)

Overall the value of this game is that it gives a great experience for fans. It has a lot for non metallica fans but I understand its not for everyone. As a fan I absolutely love this game. 1,000,000 stars out of 10 lol.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I also found Hamett's mo-cap job to be pretty bad. He looks like a dog, but doesn't move as fast. I think it was a wise choice to leave out Cliff just because of how absurd it would be. Jimi Hendrix in GHIV felt weird, and a dead guy (even one as talented as Cliff) being represented in a game is almost a mockery of them. The tone is supposed to be somewhat light-hearted anyway.I wouldn't have a problem with Newsted being in the game as he was just a fuckin' ball of energy on stage.

Furthermore I echo your wish for the Misfits in this game, but I know why they weren't included. The Misfits, while being a phenomenal band, are sorely lacking in production quality for their songs. I heard on the Score Hero podcast that the songs would sound like complete shit if they were imported to the game and edited. I'm surprised that they went with Samhain (Glen Danzig's side project for like two years....he sang for the Misfits) instead of Danzig's solo work (which is actually quite good).

I'm still loving the game despite these minor complaints, and haven't experienced any of the silence issues that you're talking about :(.

SimpsonFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By SimpsonFan

I love the game and agree with all you say. I hate the sound cutting out on signature riffs too, like Seek and Whiplash, it's just like a WTF moment.

They should have had the band from their appropriate eras with Cliff and Jason...

METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By METALM1LITIA91

I didn't think about how the misfits quality would be bad. I also didn't realize Samhain had Danzig in it.  Also to Critic's comment about not having the Cliff as a character... I completely agree. What I meant is that i don't think the game really showed what Cliff meant to the band. Should have had more dedicated to him

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Can anyone tell my who Foo Fighters are in a (supposedly) metal game?

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I dunno, I skipped their song ^^^^

METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By METALM1LITIA91

ya i definently skipped the foo song. I know dave grohl (Ya i spelled that wrong) is a big metal fan but that doesn't mean you get in the game right... lol

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By dethfish

I agree with your rating. 1,000,000 stars out of 10. That game is awesome. I actually haven't found any flaws that stand out to me besides the fact there could have been a little better choice in some Metallica and other bands songs.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the game.  We got it up here at work yesterday, and I played drums for a couple hours before I switched off to guitar.  The note charts for everything are excellent.  Unfortunately, I have no double bass pedal...so yeah, Expert + just wasn't happening.  However, I popped Sanitarium on Expert + just to check it out, and yeah...unless you can pull some fast shit off with one foot on a clunky Rock Band pedal and such...double bass is going to be recommended.

I felt the Metallica song selection was alright, but at the same time...I felt like the bonus song selection was better all around.  Then again, I probably played "Albatross" by CoC about seven million times yesterday!!!  Maybe I'm just bummed that "The Outlaw Torn", "Bleeding Me", "Holier Than Thou", and "Of Wolf and Man" didn't make it into the game...but crap like "Nothing Else Matters" or Foo Fighters (as much as I love Foo Fighters, they could've picked a MUCH better song).

Overall, though, the game is a highly satisfying experience for metalheads.  And plus...Machine Head fucking RULES!!!
    METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By METALM1LITIA91

I like Nothing Else Matters but not so much for the game. Not that fun to play. Of wolf and man would've have been great. I just wish that they had put metal militia in there

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.