First I just have to start by saying I'm a die hard metallica fan so some of this will be highly biased lol.
I just have to say as a fan I absolutely love this game. It really caters to the fans and gives them a true Metallica experience. I was expecting so much out of this game and so far it has delivered. I thought it would be much easier to way out my pros and cons below
- Very Accurate to the bands real stage pressence - I have never had the blessing of seeing Metallica live but youtube has helped me out so much. James and Lars's motion is dead on accurate. Their game manurism's and real life selves are nearly identicle. You can tell that a lot of attention was paid to this aspect. While I was playing through For Whom The Bell Tolls it is customary for Trujillo to do his little crab walk thing and I was amazed to see him actually do it in the game as well. Very awesome for metallica fans.
- Great Song Choice - The setlist is a great highlight of Metallica's career. They have the best songs off every album (although there were just a few songs I really wanted to see). Also a lot of Metallica's well documented influences are there including Michael Schencer (I know thats not it but its very close lol), King Diamond, and Judas Priest.
- Lots of bonus content - This is like the cherry on top for Metallica fans. The bonus features have everything from live performances to making of the game like stuff. My favorite video by far was when Metallica did the Mercyful Fate Medley with King Diamond. Also there was a great video where Lars was having a hard timing capturing the intro for Shortest Straw... it was hilarious.
- Old Bass Players Are Almost Completely Dissed - I read that they didn't want to include them as characters because they didn't want to disrespect Rob but they failed to capture Cliff Burton (RIP) and Jason Newstead's legacy. There are a few Metallifacts that mention them but I think that hey deserved more than just a "Hey they played this song". I think each should have had a video or something dedicated to them or something (especially Cliff). If I didn't know much about the game I would not nearly understand what each former bassist really meant to the band.
- Kirk Hammet's Motion Capture - There is nothing to say but how off this part was. I know he doesn't have that much of a stage pressence but all the same his in game appearance is just weird. The way he moves around and gets into the song just looks all wrong.
- Very strange silence in some songs - Sometimes when the signature riff comes in the sound goes completely quiet and has no explanation. It cuts off the signature riff of songs like Seek and Destroy, Frantic, and there was one more but I can't remember what it is. Anyway its just strange and has no place. The highway shows a drum fill but the guitar audio should still be playing. Completely messes up those songs for me. If there is a way to turn the silence off please fill me in.
- Some bands that should have been included - Here are a few bands that should have been included: ANTHRAX!!!!! (They were one of the big four of Metal and I feel that they should have been included. If you want to say, well Megadeth is a part of the big four, then you clearly don't know about the bad feeling between Megadeth and Metallica), TRIVIUM (Big time influenced by Metallica), Misfits (Big influence on Metallica), and Testament (great Bay Area thrash band)
Overall the value of this game is that it gives a great experience for fans. It has a lot for non metallica fans but I understand its not for everyone. As a fan I absolutely love this game. 1,000,000 stars out of 10 lol.