Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero: Metallica

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 29, 2009

Guitar Hero: Metallica is the second band-specific game in the Guitar Hero franchise. It features 28 songs from the world famous heavy-metal band Metallica, as well as 21 guest acts - picked by Metallica themselves.

I'm just gonna say it....

• 52 results
    Avatar image for shalashaskauk666
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

St Anger is a fine an dandy album, so is Load, and so is Reload. 

S&M was an experiment, put forth by Michael Kamen after composing the original backing for Nothing Else Matters, if you were in that position, wouldnt you have tried it aswell?
    Anger is of course lacking solo's and overall polish, however that is as intended, and solos dont make the band, to give an extreme example, they are not Dragonforce. 
    That album was straight from the mind of the band, recorded and put out, as obvious as it is, they were extremely angry at the time of conceptualising the album, and the lyrics reflect this.
    It basically boils down to Hetfields mantra of 'dare to fail', they've tried more different things musically than any other band, and have pulled them all off remarkably, they should be commended for experimenting, not slandered for not conforming to the stereotype set forth by Slayer and other pure metal bands of yore.
    Thats why they have lasted so long, and its why Death Magnetic means so much to the fans that stuck with them.
    Any thoughts?....
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

ShalashaskaUK666 said:
    St Anger is a fine an dandy album, so is Load, and so is Reload. S&M was an experiment, put ... [more]
    St.Anger was a pile of shit, Metallica are capable of much more, as seen in the 80's with all first 4 albums, even the Black album was "Ok" but nothing compared to there earlier releases.
    Death Magnetic sounds like they tried to hard to be fast and heavy and turned out sounding rushed and over produced, St.Anger wasn't a risk it was them being fucking lazy by cutting out solos and trying to get as many sales as possible.

St.Anger

Battery

Which ones better?

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By lord_canti

i kinda liked  ST anger it wasnt that bad. now death magnetic on the other hand

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @Bucketdeth: I dont think they were lazy, I think it was utterly a product of their mindset at the time, it was just pure heavy thrash metal, it was something different for them, and I really love it, I especially enjoy playing it, I bet they did to!
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TwoOneFive

metallica sucks. 

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @TwoOneFive: Haha yeh I see what ya did there! Buuut.....no
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead
    TwoOneFive said:
    metallica sucks.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

Oh man, you said you liked every Metallica album that I think absolutely killed the band, so we can't agree.  Metallica before those albums is a great rock band.  It's too bad.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Metallica during and before Black album - good
    Post-black - shit

Give your money to a band more deserving that actually needs it, and if you feel like giving them money go and buy Justice For All again.

As for Death Magnetic, I actually regret letting a friend burn me a copy, I can't even make it through half that album without getting bored and switching to some Megadeth.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud: Yeah I know alot, like ALOT of people arent fans, and of course thats fine, the style is COMPLETELY different in those albums compared to the old stuff, but I still think they stand alone as good pieces of music inspired by certain motives and ideals, I'm talking more about St Anger now, Load and Reload were meant to be the Black album style but refined to a radio-rock standard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HandsomeDead said:
    TwoOneFive said: metallica sucks. [more]
    You are right now, but they'll always be better then Fallout boy.
    oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oraknabo
    ShalashaskaUK666 said:
    St Anger is a fine an dandy album, so is Load, and so is Reload. S&M was an experiment, put ... [more]
    You're kidding right? Sparks... 10cc... Ween... Brian Eno? Neil Young has done country and electronic albums. even Weezer is more adventurous than Metallica.
    oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oraknabo

I tried to edit the quote. I was referring specifically to "they've tried more different things musically than any other band"

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Bucketdeth said:
    HandsomeDead said: TwoOneFive said: metallica sucks. [more] You are right now, but they'll always be better then Fallout boy. [more]
    Gutted.
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    oraknabo said:
    I tried to edit the quote. I was referring specifically to "they've tried more different things musically than any other ... [more]
    Crap yeh ur right, I meant in the metal genre
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By jakob187

I'll put it this way:

If someone hates St. Anger, they hate Motorhead.  If someone hates Motorhead, then that automatically makes them a bad person.

If someone hates Load, they hate good music.  If someone hates Reload, it's okay.  That album was just the leftovers from Load anyways.

If someone hates S&M, then you might still be able to be saved.

Also, those who like the Black Album in any way automatically likes mudkips too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jakob187 said:
    I'll put it this way:If someone hates St. Anger, they hate Motorhead. If someone hates Motorhead, then that automatically makes ... [more]
    I like Motorhead, and I fucking hate St.anger : )
    Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@jakob187 said:
    "I'll put it this way:

If someone hates St. Anger, they hate Motorhead.  If someone hates Motorhead, then that automatically makes them a bad person.

If someone hates Load, they hate good music.  If someone hates Reload, it's okay.  That album was just the leftovers from Load anyways.

If someone hates S&M, then you might still be able to be saved.

Also, those who like the Black Album in any way automatically likes mudkips too.
    "
    I like St. Anger but hate Motorhead....I do liek mudkipz though.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Akeldama

St. Anger was not a bad album. It just wasnt a very good Metallica Album. 

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Venatio

And Im just gonna say it.....I like almost all the new songs on Death Magnetic and alot of their older songs too. I honestly dont understand why so many people seem to despise their new songs and the album

Am I like the only damn one here  that likes Death Magnetic?

Metallica is still awesome

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate all the albums you mentioned.  Metallica used to be a great band.  Oh well, you can still go back and listen to those great CDs.

@jakob187
    said:
    " I'll put it this way:

How do you reach that conclusion exactly?  I love Motorhead and St Anger is a piece of shit CD.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By jakob187
    @Venatio said:
    " And Im just gonna say it.....I like almost all the songs on Death Magnetic and alot of their older songs, I honestly dont understand why so many people seem to despise their new songsAm I like the only damn one that likes Death Magnetic?Metallica is still awesome "
    There are two things that piss me off about Death Magnetic:
    1. Mixing - There is no fucking reason why the Guitar Hero version of Death Magnetic should have amazing sound quality where I can hear the bass while the album version sounds overblown and has no bass
    2. Rehash - While the songs ARE great...I've heard them all before on their previous albums, and they were done way better.  For some reason, Metallica forgot that they LEAD the charge for heavy metal, not follow it.
    With that said, I like Death Magnetic...but it's just not the amazing masterpiece that I was expecting.

As for St. Anger, I always suggest that people should read the Don Kaye review over at Blabbermouth.net for it.  Not only did he give it no rating, but it's probably one of the best reviews I've ever read for the album...if not one of the best reviews for an album altogether.
    Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ChickenPants
    @WitchHunter_Z said:
    " Metallica during and before Black album - good
    Post-black - shit
    Oh please, like I haven't heard that one a million times before.

Load and Reload were both good albums, just a different style which sends all the narrowminded metalheads crazy.
    S&M was very cool and probably my favourite way to listen to Metallica the majority of the time.
    Garage albums were fine.

I liked St.Anger too.Some of the songs were shit but there were some good ones too;again in a different style.People find it hard to accept that they don't want to play trash metal all their lives.
    Death Magnetic was ok, but seemed a bit forced.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ChickenPants said:
    " @WitchHunter_Z said:
    " Metallica during and before Black album - good
    Post-black - shit
    Oh please, like I haven't heard that one a million times before.Load and Reload were both good albums, just a different style which sends all the narrowminded metalheads crazy.S&M was very cool and probably my favourite way to listen to Metallica the majority of the time.Garage albums were fine.I liked St.Anger too.Some of the songs were shit but there were some good ones too;again in a different style.People find it hard to accept that they don't want to play trash metal all their lives.Death Magnetic was ok, but seemed a bit forced. "
    I think you've heard it a million times before because it's true (for most people).  I don't care if they try a different style, I'm not a fan of bands that stay the same and eventually become mediocre, but that being said I hate their sound now and I can't even believe it's the same band when I hear it.
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

I would say its been said a million times before because it seems to be the 'cool' thing to say, th status quo,  the norm, the expected. 

It doesnt however make it the truth, I wholeheartedly agree with the statement 'St. Anger was not a bad album. It just wasnt a very good Metallica Album.' from Akeldama, as I think you can apply that template to any of their albums post Justice IF you have a preconceived idea of what Metallica 'is'.
    HOWEVER I think the variety of Metallica IS Metallica, to quote Papa Het, 'dare to fail', if they hadnt tried all those different approaches to music, they wouldnt be Metallica, I love all the albums for what they are, it's the diversity of said albums that makes Metallica the greatest band in the world and a phenomenal addition to music as an artform.

Oh and Venatio, I LOVE Death Magnetic aswell :D
    KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KirillOrlov

I'm not a fan of St.Anger at all.... Death Magnetic was a good album but what happend to moving forward? Seems like they noticed St. Anger didn't get the responds they wanted and all of a sudden hey lets just go back to trash and hey Kirk can you masturbate on the guitar with the wah on?

I guess that's what they do best?

Plus I'm a fan of Megadeth more so :).

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

St Anger was made as a reaction to how they were feeling at the time, its a product of their collective emotional states @ th time, it was certainly not a 'new direction' which required a 'response', it was a one off in terms of lyrical content and production and should be dealt with as such.

I agree with Hammett's usage of wah though, hav you been listenin 2 Suicide and Redemption by any chance lol?
    As 4 Megadeth, Mustaine is an amazing technical guitarist, but Megadeth are never going to have the stadium-filling, cock waving pulling power of Tallica, hence why Metallica tickets sold out in 3 seconds, and Megadeth are still on sale after months of a gig being announced. (Sorry just had 2 hav a little go, with you announcing it, you set yourself up :p)
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Ben_H
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " metallica sucks.  "
    Yep.

Is St.Anger a necklace?  He keeps saying it's around his neck.  And seriously, what's with the drums on that album?

They should fire Lars and hire a real drummer, like Trym Torson.

sheira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sheira

Even the worst Metallica record is better than anything else.  

Death Magnetic is awesome! Have you seen the new songs on live tour? They sound awesome and can proudly stand near songs like Master of Puppets or Battery. Seriously, buy a DVD/Bluray and watch it on decent sound system, it will blow your mind. 

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By OmegaPirate

Or bore you silly

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By danimal_furry

I liked S&M. The reason No Leaf Clover gets a lot of radio play to this day is because it is a catchy song, yet it is still metal-ish..

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By melcene

Death Magnetic is full of great toons.  From the rockin' shit like Suicide and Redemption to the ballads Metallica's always done like Unforgiven III. 
    St. Anger was full of energy.  That's what I loved about it.  That album was nearly more about the drums than anything else.  But the energy it puts out is just amazing. 
    S&M was beautiful.  No Leaf Clover was a great song, and one of the only original songs on that album.  But being a fan of both classical and rock/metal, S&M was a beautiful combo of the two.  
    Garage Inc. was a good compilation of covers.  And in many cases on that album, I prefer the Metallica cover to the original. 
     I liked Load and Reload just fine.  No more, no less than the older shit.  And I like the older shit just fine.  But I wouldn't go anywhere so far as to say that anything post-whatever album was crap. 

It's just another fucking bandwagon for people to jump on to say that anything post-xxx album sucks.  Especially when half the people that say it weren't even around for those albums.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By xyzygy

*insert thread necromancy image*

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Only CD I liked was Ride The Lightning. Also seen them live twice, first time I got bored and went home, second time I fell asleep in a toilet.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mordukai
    @Bucketdeth:  The only album I care about is Kill Em' All and I consider it more of a Mustaine album. Master of Puppet is probably where they peaked. Personally I think that they started their decline when Cliff died. No offense to Newsted but Cliff was the driving force behind their best album.  

Which one is better...Man Lars is such a shitty drummer. 
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By metalmoog

Metallica haven't done it for me since the Black Album. Everything since I've been infinitely disappointed with. They sound like a garage band trying to catch up with each current trend. Load and Re-load was an attempt to tap into the mainstream, St. Anger was an attempt to sound as raw, less technical and un-produced as possible and Death Magnetic is an attempt to sound as old school as possible. All of these attempts have failed, Metallica should just be Metallica and write original material, that buck trends like they used to. I honestly believe the well has run dry and they simply do not have any more good songwriting left in them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mordukai: Yeah I agree, when Cliff left so did Metallica. Haha Mechanix all the way man, Four Horsemen is just a slowed down rip off.
    Fascism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Fascism

Anger was an abortion of an album

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Clinkz
    @MetalMoog said:

" Metallica haven't done it for me since the Black Album. Everything since I've been infinitely disappointed with. They sound like a garage band trying to catch up with each current trend. Load and Re-load was an attempt to tap into the mainstream, St. Anger was an attempt to sound as raw, less technical and un-produced as possible and Death Magnetic is an attempt to sound as old school as possible. All of these attempts have failed, Metallica should just be Metallica and write original material, that buck trends like they used to. I honestly believe the well has run dry and they simply do not have any more good songwriting left in them. "

Black Album was their attempt at getting into the mainstream and it succeeded... immensely. TRY to find someone who doesn't know the song "Enter Sandman". Black Album was... good but not great. Everything after that isn't very good but there are some songs I listen too.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By melcene

Eh, as to the game in general, it's the only GH game I plug in anymore, although that's probably once a month or less.

Avatar image for deactivated-587815b1c9354
    deactivated-587815b1c9354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TwoOneFive said:
    " metallica sucks.  "
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#42  Edited By Undeadpool
    @Bucketdeth said:
    "
    ShalashaskaUK666 said:
    St.Anger was a pile of shit, Metallica are capable of much more, as seen in the 80's with all first 4 albums, even the Black album was "Ok" but nothing compared to there earlier releases.
    Death Magnetic sounds like they tried to hard to be fast and heavy and turned out sounding rushed and over produced, St.Anger wasn't a risk it was them being fucking lazy by cutting out solos and trying to get as many sales as possible.

St.Anger

Battery

Which ones better? "
    I don't agree with your whole post, but thanks for calling The Black Album "ok." It drives me up a fucking WALL when people say that was their last "great" album.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Undeadpool: Yeah I don't think the black album is a horrible album but it's nothing compared to Metallica's earlier releases.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By Vinny_Says

They have yet to top fade to black, until they do I shall avoid talking about anything Metallica related.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Azteck
    @Venatio said:
    " And Im just gonna say it... "
    Finally, someone who also liked Death magnetic. I don't understand the hate, it's nota bad album
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By yakov456

Loved Death Magnetic, they are old bastards and still they brought it. You can hate Metallica for not churning out the same exact sound for every cd, but then that just makes you a close minded dick.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Not a fan of Metallica. Never have been. I respect what they've done in the music industry but it just doesn't flip the happy, must listen switch in my head. Though my friend listens to Battery like it's essential to life. Like breathing to live. Seriously, I wish that song would just fall off the earth.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @Akeldama said:
    " St. Anger was not a bad album. It just wasnt a very good Metallica Album. 

"
    That's kind of the crux of the issue, right there.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Milkman

I don't even like Metallica and even I know St. Anger sucks. 

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By matpaget

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.