Metallica to Ride the Lightning March 29

Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
Whoah! Try not to get too excited, Lars.
While my personal music tastes have helped make the Rock Band series my fake-band games of choice, there's simply been no beating Guitar Hero when it comes to heavy metal. Just as the upcoming Beatles game makes sense for Harmonix's music-nerd sensibilities, Guitar Hero: Metallica is a pretty perfect fit for the kind of finger-mangling fret action that has come to define that franchise.

It was announced a while ago that Guitar Hero: Metallica would arrive sometime in the first half of 2009, though today it was revealed via the band's official website that the game would be hitting the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on March 29 in North America, while the rest of the world would have to wait until early May for their chance to Kill 'Em All.

The announcement stated that the Wii and PlayStation 2 versions of the game would also be released in early May, though it wasn't made clear what regions that would apply to.
Staff
#1 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
Whoah! Try not to get too excited, Lars.
While my personal music tastes have helped make the Rock Band series my fake-band games of choice, there's simply been no beating Guitar Hero when it comes to heavy metal. Just as the upcoming Beatles game makes sense for Harmonix's music-nerd sensibilities, Guitar Hero: Metallica is a pretty perfect fit for the kind of finger-mangling fret action that has come to define that franchise.

It was announced a while ago that Guitar Hero: Metallica would arrive sometime in the first half of 2009, though today it was revealed via the band's official website that the game would be hitting the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on March 29 in North America, while the rest of the world would have to wait until early May for their chance to Kill 'Em All.

The announcement stated that the Wii and PlayStation 2 versions of the game would also be released in early May, though it wasn't made clear what regions that would apply to.
Staff
#2 Posted by Wright (637 posts) -

Lars looks quite frightening in that pic. Hope it doesn't haunt my dreams.

#3 Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -

Whoopity-doo.

#4 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

Sweetness.  Can't wait!

#5 Posted by r3b3lr0b0t (460 posts) -

Hopefully Lars won't sue us for playing his music on his game.

#6 Posted by sociald1077 (263 posts) -

Being a huge Metallica fan, I'm really looking forward to this.

I want to know what kind of craziness will be had in the Expert+ mode.

#7 Posted by JoblessTerence (349 posts) -

Lars looks wasted in that pic.

#8 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

As a sworn fan I can but be happy about it . Metallica which is now a hall of famer  is my favorite band . can not wait

#9 Posted by CallMeRotten (229 posts) -

Lars looks like the dude who was hiding Quato in Total Recall.

#10 Posted by Woffls (127 posts) -

Woo!
This ought to make the summer a bit less boring. Hopefully I will have 5*'d GH3 by then >_<

#11 Posted by F1 (346 posts) -

This will probably be the last rhythm game I buy. I'm getting kind of tired of the whole thing.

#12 Posted by Andrwmorph (37 posts) -

I need to stop playing guitar hero because I'm getting a little too good....

#13 Posted by NeuroticOwl (10 posts) -

Sounds cool, but I think I'm way more excited about the Beatles game.

Besides, "finger-mangling fret action" spells frustration and carpal tunnel syndrome to me.

#14 Posted by Aaron_G (1615 posts) -

I actually don't care for them.

#15 Posted by GaZZuM (444 posts) -

...can someone PM and let me know if this will work with the Guitar Hero 3 guitar? I assume if World Tour works with a Guitar Hero 3 guitar then so will this but I can't test it for myself...

anybody?

#16 Posted by player66 (22 posts) -

I'm not buying this game and I'm a Metallica fan. I just can't continue to support this whore of a franchise. Rock Band has handled this in a much more classy manner, thus far. I'm not going to plunk down $80-$90 a year for a song pack and some new character models.

#17 Posted by Dethfish (3667 posts) -

Is it March 29th yet?

#18 Posted by niall077 (104 posts) -

Just go GH WT since welll... hormonix HATES europe.... and the ps3

looks like ill be getting another Guitar hero game to play while I wait

#19 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

I've never been a big fan of the whole Rock Band/Guitar Hero fad, but I may have to buy this

#20 Posted by jhosaphat (212 posts) -

I'm assuming this will be $60 since Aerosmith was, and that's enough for me to hold off. I'll probably find it for $20 by Christmas.

#21 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I love Metallica, so I should love this right? I also love Aerosmith, but....

#22 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

The most interesting thing about this announcement was that Gamespot and Giantbomb gave it the same headline. As you can tell, I didn't find it very interesting.

#23 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

The most interesting thing about this announcement was that Gamespot and Giantbomb gave it the same headline. As you can tell, I didn't find it very interesting.

#24 Posted by truebornracer (103 posts) -

I could give a shit about Metallica. So I won't be buying this.

As a matter of fact I think the only "Guitar Hero [insert popular hard rock band here]" game I COULD give a shit about is Led Zeppelin.

#25 Posted by hockeyb (19 posts) -

it has an EXPERT PLUS difficulty.

for drums

#26 Posted by natetodamax (19207 posts) -

I will most definitely get this. I love Metallica.

#27 Posted by MannAlive (155 posts) -

this is the game that will finally destroy my marriage.  thank god.

#28 Posted by insanejedi (654 posts) -

You guys realize that the title is almost exactly the same as gamespot's right?
"Guitar Hero: Metallica rides lightning March 29"

#29 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Meh... I've been clamoring for a real metal based guitar hero/rock band pack for a long time. God damn them for making it some soft-ass metallica instead. Talk about irony.

I would much rather have had a Death (Human and forward) based gh/rb than metallicrap.

I'm kinda surprised neither Chuck Schuldiner (Death) nor Muhammed Suiçmez (Necrophagist) have been cast as boss figures in the GH series. Both would offer expert plus plus. Hundreds of times more challenging than metallica.

#30 Posted by AspiringAndy (332 posts) -

@
niall077 
No Harmonix hates Australia, we only just recieved Rock Band 1.
ROCK BAND 1!

#31 Posted by Captain_Insano (1540 posts) -

Lets somehow upload some illegal Metallica track content onto Guitar Hero so that Lars comes out and in a confused state of mind, admonishes Activision and takes them to court, thus somehow pissing off even MORE fans.

Metallica = Great up until and including Black Album

Metallica post Black Album = not worth worrying about (though still good live and Trujillo is blameless)

#32 Posted by bornagain888 (122 posts) -

Older men should not were earings or ponytails, I'm 40 and know better!

#33 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

I feel alright saying that I'm totally over these music games, but I totally want this one to be my last. It has a track list like no other. Sanitarium....I really hope that one made it.

#34 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6299 posts) -

I can't wait that long!!!!

#35 Posted by MacGyver (280 posts) -

god i hope this doesn't make me a bad person but i really don't care about Metallica.

#36 Posted by Crypto136 (118 posts) -
#37 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

NOt interested, I'm not in the mood to look at all them notes fly by the screen at 100mph

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.