Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero: Metallica

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 29, 2009

Guitar Hero: Metallica is the second band-specific game in the Guitar Hero franchise. It features 28 songs from the world famous heavy-metal band Metallica, as well as 21 guest acts - picked by Metallica themselves.

The St. Anger Problem

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

So a few days ago I downloaded the rest of St. Anger to give it a fair shake despite everyone condemning it as total drek. The songs I had heard before finishing the download were St. Anger, Frantic, Some Kind of Monster, and Shoot me Again. I liked these songs, particularly the title track, but felt they didn't rank even close to the band's previous material. Having listened to the album in its entirety, I have to say that despite the quality being sub par, I really feel as though it gets a bad reputation.

Before everyone cries fanboy (which you have every right to do) hear me out: you can tell the band (especially James) put their heart and soul into this album. While some of the songs (Dirty Window, Invisible Kid) are pretty shitty all around, others such as St. Anger, Frantic, Sweet Amber, and The Unnamed Feeling have Hetfield singing with such passion and devotion, you end up hearing an album that with a bit more polish could've been a phenomenon. I could've sworn Hetfield was on the verge of tears at the end of "The Unnamed Feeling". The references in the chorus of St. Anger to the band's past "Fuck it all and no regrets I hit the lights on these dark sets" bring the same effect that Johnny Cash's video for "Hurt" did: they showed an icon of the past broken, beat, and scarred (yeah, that's right, I made that reference).

Anyway I think the album is entirely forgivable on the band's part and feels like it had more effort put into it (lyrically) than the new Death Magnetic (not that that album sucks).

METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By METALM1LITIA91

honestly  i think it would have been awesome if Lars wouldn't have screwed up his snare (if you watch them play Anger songs when lars doesn't screw with his drums it sounds good). Everything else wasn't that bad. If it would have been polished the album would have been fantastic. Some Kind of Monster, Frantic, and St. Anger are the best

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's best if you just forget St. Anger ever existed. I'd like to but I can't get over actually owning a copy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Everyones_A_Critic said:
     others such as St. Anger, Frantic, Sweet Amber, and The Unnamed Feeling have Hetfield singing with such passion and devotion
    Thats like telling me The Jona's brothers sing with passion and devotion, the album was shit, had no feelings and they will never recover, if you think Death Magnetic was a comeback, then your a worthless fanboy, it was an ok album, and only sounds good when comparing to St.Anger, compare it to there older shit and it's down at the bottom of the pit like Load,Reload and St.Anger.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By buzz_killington

St. Anger was a mess in my opinion. It didn't sound polished at all, almost like a garage demo tape at times. Gotta agree though, that St. Anger the song has some real feelings to it, and Hetfield is doing his best to make the song work. But my god, Lars and his goddamn snare?
    ps Death Magnetic was so awesome I forgave them for St. Anger.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

I loved St. Anger after it aged about 5 years.

Also, anyone that wants to complain about the album...how about some criticisms that stem further than "I don't like the sound of Lars' snare" or "it sounded like garage demos"?  I mean, why don't you tell us what music is SUPPOSED to sound like?  Please...do tell.
    METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By METALM1LITIA91
    jakob187 said:
    "I loved St. Anger after it aged about 5 years.

Also, anyone that wants to complain about the album...how about some criticisms that stem further than "I don't like the sound of Lars' snare" or "it sounded like garage demos"?  I mean, why don't you tell us what music is SUPPOSED to sound like?  Please...do tell.
    "
    thats my thing... they take risks which is good. They don't make the same album a million times over like most metal bands
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont know why there are two st.anger videos.
    jakob187
    said:
     I mean, why don't you tell us what music is SUPPOSED to sound like?  Please...do tell."

Metallica with feeling and sounding great.

Metallica with no feeling and sounding like they need to retire and learn to tune there instruments.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead
    METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "jakob187 said:

"
    thats my thing... they take risks which is good. They don't make the same album a million times over like most metal bands"
    It's a good thing that is sounds like Lars is using a bin lid as a drum?
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By buzz_killington
    jakob187 said:

"

They're supposed to sound like: a) High profile band with high production values                       OR
                                                               b) Raw, psychadelic and crazy like the earlier days
    METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By METALM1LITIA91
    HandsomeDead said:
    "METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "jakob187 said:

"
    thats my thing... they take risks which is good. They don't make the same album a million times over like most metal bands"
    It's a good thing that is sounds like Lars is using a bin lid as a drum?"
    If you would have quoted my earlier words i don't like his snare on the album. I never said I liked everything they ever did but im just saying they don't stay in a rut
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead
    METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "jakob187 said:

"
    If you would have quoted my earlier words i don't like his snare on the album. I never said I liked everything they ever did but im just saying they don't stay in a rut"
    I don't really understand the logic. Surely being average is better than being terrible. And Death Magnetic sounds so generic, it's not like they're really that cutting edge.
    DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DECA555

i like st. anger more than load and re-load. 

But for me, metallica lost it after ...and justice for all
    METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By METALM1LITIA91
    HandsomeDead said:
    "METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "jakob187 said:

"
    If you would have quoted my earlier words i don't like his snare on the album. I never said I liked everything they ever did but im just saying they don't stay in a rut"
    I don't really understand the logic. Surely being average is better than being terrible. And Death Magnetic sounds so generic, it's not like they're really that cutting edge."
    well a band that has one good album and just does copy and paste doesn't hold my attention. I like Slayer but honestly all of their stuff (other than Seasons in the Abyss) sounds identical.  Metallica at lease tried something new in the 90's. As the expression goes, the first in the fire is always the first to get burned
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By buzz_killington
    HandsomeDead said:
    "METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "jakob187 said:

"
    I don't really understand the logic. Surely being average is better than being terrible. And Death Magnetic sounds so generic, it's not like they're really that cutting edge."

How does Death Magnetic sound generic? Sure, it sounds like Metallica, but is that a bad thing? You feel like you've heard it before, but the music is solid enough not to be called generic. Do you say St. Anger is better than Death Magnetic?
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead
    buzz_killington said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "jakob187 said:

"
    How does Death Magnetic sound generic? Sure, it sounds like Metallica, but is that a bad thing? You feel like you've heard it before, but the music is solid enough not to be called generic. Do you say St. Anger is better than Death Magnetic?"
    No, but Death Magnetic sounds a lot like they've realised no one liked St. Anger than decided to just try and sound like they did when they were relevant and instead it just sounds like they're clutching at straws.
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By buzz_killington

HandsomeDead said:

"buzz_killington said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "jakob187 said:

"
    How does Death Magnetic sound generic? Sure, it sounds like Metallica, but is that a bad thing? You feel like you've heard it before, but the music is solid enough not to be called generic. Do you say St. Anger is better than Death Magnetic?"
    No, but Death Magnetic sounds a lot like they've realised no one liked St. Anger than decided to just try and sound like they did when they were relevant and instead it just sounds like they're clutching at straws."

The Metallica "formula" is solid enough that reusing it is not a bad thing. I think if they never release (I hope they won't) anything again, I'll remember them with going out on top.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead
    buzz_killington said:
    "

HandsomeDead said:

"buzz_killington said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "jakob187 said:

"
    No, but Death Magnetic sounds a lot like they've realised no one liked St. Anger than decided to just try and sound like they did when they were relevant and instead it just sounds like they're clutching at straws."

The Metallica "formula" is solid enough that reusing it is not a bad thing. I think if they never release (I hope they won't) anything again, I'll remember them with going out on top."
    No, it's not. Death Magnetic is the equivalent of a direct-to-DVD Steven Seagal movie like Against the Dark compared to Under Siege.
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By buzz_killington
    HandsomeDead said:
    "buzz_killington said:
    "

HandsomeDead said:

"buzz_killington said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "jakob187 said:

"

The Metallica "formula" is solid enough that reusing it is not a bad thing. I think if they never release (I hope they won't) anything again, I'll remember them with going out on top."
    No, it's not. Death Magnetic is the equivalent of a direct-to-DVD Steven Seagal movie like Against the Dark compared to Under Siege."

But thats better than Steven Seagal doing serious dramatic roles, aint it? If you like Steven Seagal enough, you'll like Against the Dark; because its Steven Seagal doing what Steven Seagal does best. The problem is the world has moved on, and stupid action movies and metal bands just can't sell shit...
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jakob187

I will agree that Death Magnetic sounds like they took too much to heart about the critical reception of St. Anger and just tried to rehash their old style.  Nonetheless...that's all you motherfuckers asked for!!!  What do you expect???

Also, again, I will state:  who said that music has to sound perfect every single time?  Who said that someone can't tune their snare drum down?  Who said that a band can't tune down to B?  Who says that shit like that isn't allowed?  You?  Me?  The studio?  The record label?

Fuck that.  Music is music.  I commend Metallica for making a massive statement at a time when bands like Disturbed were becoming popular as Hell for using pitch correction software to make David Draiman sound perfect on every song.  I'm glad that the badasses in black from the Bay Area didn't give into a bunch of overdubbing and bullshit to make an album.  I'm GLAD that they decided to be raw and risky.  Is St. Anger perfect?  Fuck no, and it never tried to be!
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "honestly  i think it would have been awesome if Lars wouldn't have screwed up his snare (if you watch them play Anger songs when lars doesn't screw with his drums it sounds good). Everything else wasn't that bad. If it would have been polished the album would have been fantastic. Some Kind of Monster, Frantic, and St. Anger are the best"
    Worst snare sound in history.

Ulrich is by far the shittiest member of Metallica.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jakob187
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "METALM1LITIA91 said:
    "honestly  i think it would have been awesome if Lars wouldn't have screwed up his snare (if you watch them play Anger songs when lars doesn't screw with his drums it sounds good). Everything else wasn't that bad. If it would have been polished the album would have been fantastic. Some Kind of Monster, Frantic, and St. Anger are the best"

Ulrich is by far the shittiest member of Metallica."
    Ulrich has stated that he's no master of drumming on many occasions, going so far as to say he is "mediocre" and "knows little about drumming".  So whatever...

Also, here's the best review I ever read about St. Anger.  While I'm not always a fan of Don Kaye's reviewing, I think his review for St. Anger was absolutely marvelous.  The user rating means jack shit to me, as most of the Blabbermouth community are nothing but black metal and death metal dickweeds.  You might even find a comment or two from me in the comment sections.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I loved St. Anger and death magnetic a free download i got from some metallica headphones was just as good, I've yet to hear a bad metallica song because unlike other people i don't compare my music to other music i take it as it is, and ignore political shit Which is most of the reason alot of people hate metallica, but lars napster blah blah blah.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    jakob187 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "METALM1LITIA91 said:

Ulrich is by far the shittiest member of Metallica."
    Ulrich has stated that he's no master of drumming on many occasions, going so far as to say he is "mediocre" and "knows little about drumming".  So whatever...
    "
    Good. Maybe he can shut the fuck up about piracy then! Get some talented people that are struggling because of it at the head, rather than an untalented person who is fuckin loaded.
    Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Bucketdeth said:
    Everyones_A_Critic said:  others such as St. Anger, Frantic, Sweet Amber, and The Unnamed Feeling have Hetfield singing with such passion ... [more]

Hetfield should hold his nose while he sings and bitch about the government while overloading his albums with filler and only two truly good songs. I'm gunna go ahead and assume that you're one of those enlightened individuals who think that without Dave Mustaine writing a few Kill 'Em All songs that Metallica would never succeed and anything past Kill 'Em All is shit. For you I have this video:

I'll give you that Megadeth has written a lot of great songs over the years, and I'd probably like them a lot more if Dave would stop acting so butthurt over Metallica and stop being such a dick about them.
    Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Demo

Production. The drums are loud and the guitars are hardly heard. It's a mess.

I don't like the title track, but there are some decent songs in the album.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Drebin_893

Wait, what did Lars Ulrich do to his snare, I've never listened to the full album, so I don't know?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.