Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 28, 2010

The sixth core entry in Activision's Guitar Hero series represents the last entry developed by Neversoft.

Uninteresting $#!% #15

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187
    IN THIS BLOG

Howdy folks.  For those reading this, it means that I've been able to peel myself away from Civilization V, Halo: Reach, Starcraft II, and my recent fiddlings with Guitar Hero: WoR and DJ Hero to actually type.  Needless to say, I've never had a single moment in my life where my fingers felt like they were going to fall off nearly as much as right now.  Blame Megadeth's "Holy Wars" and "This Day We Fight!" for that.  That's really all I've got for this part this week.  Therefore, ON WITH THE GAMES!!!

Guitar Hero As It Was Meant To Be

Many are probably looking at Warriors of Rock and saying "who cares about Guitar Hero?".  Ladies and gentlemen, I care about Guitar Hero.  As someone who frequently posted on the RedOctane forums during the GH 2 and 3 days, it's frustrating to see some reviews that are bashing that game into the ground.  Then again, it's a tough sale when the world has become used to the ways of its competitor, Rock Band.  However, there's a strong difference between Rock Band and Guitar Hero:  GH is a GAME, while Rock Band is a STOREFRONT.  Unfortunately, Activision didn't realize this when they were making some of the previous entries, and in turn, it soured the Guitar Hero name by trying to be its competitor.  We don't come to Guitar Hero to lay down money for shitloads of DLC.  We come to Guitar Hero for the schlocky fun that it offers, the vastly superior HOPO system, and the over-the-top feel and reverence it has for rock 'n' roll.  This is what makes Warriors of Rock the true successor to Guitar Hero II and III in every way possible, and let it be known:  Warriors of Rock IS THE BEST in the franchise so far

Rush's
     Rush's "2112" is seriously fucking awesome, and even narrated by Rush themselves!!!
    Then again, maybe I'm looking at it through a set of proverbial beer goggles.  Maybe this game does look dull and boring in comparison to Rock Band to the average consumer.  Maybe the lack of personality that can be found in Rock Band or the fact that the game relies on microtransactions in a world where people bitch about things that rely on microtransactions appeal to many others.  I'm not saying Rock Band is a bad game by any means, but it's interesting how it does everything that people don't like in the industry at the moment...yet it's held on this high pedestal.  Meanwhile, Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock features a ton of personality by using its cavalcade of unique characters to their full advantage.  This is thanks to an over-the-top and ridiculous story in the Quest mode that makes you jump up and scream "HELL YEAH, ROCK 'N' ROLL BABY!".  There's also the Quickplay+ setup, which offers challenges for every single song in much the same way that Guitar Hero 5 TRIED to implement.  The real winning factor of Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock is that the game focuses on the competitive side far more this time, which was what made Guitar Hero II and III so worthwhile to so many.  This time around, thanks to Facebook and Twitter connectivity as well as revamped leaderboard support and the ability to target your friends' scores directly to beat them, that competitive edge is finally where it needs to be. 

Sure, it features a lot of the same things we saw in previous Guitar Hero games.  The deciding factor is that everything is streamlined, fully featured, and well-implemented.  Throw into that all of the minor improvements - singing characters have full lip-syncing on their character models, guitarists and bassists will come up to a mic and sing back-up vocals, the tracklisting that feels like it was plucked directly from the thousands of "wishlists" that would get posted to the Guitar Hero forums on a regular basis...so many things have been brought up to a new level for the franchise.  I mean, I can't even fathom how many times I've seen songs like Megadeth's "Holy Wars" or John 5's "Black Widow of La Porte" come up in peoples' wishlists, but on top of that, they went so far as to add Tesla's "Modern Day Cowboy", Styx's "Renegade", The Offspring's "Self Esteem"...  Fuck, they've even got THE BUZZCOCKS on this damn game!  Yeah, maybe it's all available as DLC on the competitor's game.  However, when you see the performances being given, when you see the note charts, you realize that these songs belong to Guitar Hero.  This is their home.  The moment you play Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" and watch how the performance in the background is mimicking both the music video as well as Wayne's World and other general references to the song throughout the years, it's tough to not fall in love with the game.  Some would lead you to believe that the game is made up of nothing but sludgy metal for huge chunks, when in fact the game is comprised of about 25% metal total.  The rest goes across many different genres of rock (at least eight core genres), picking out the BEST songs from those genres to represent them.  I'm not a fan of indie, but I'll be fucking damned if I didn't enjoy playing some indie on this game.  

I could go on and on about the game - how Rush's 20-minute epic "2112" in seven full parts makes a great middle-point for the game's Quest mode, how the game offers the challenge that has been missing from the GH games for so long, so many things.  In the end, it makes me realize one thing:  this is a game that was made to be a GAME, not a tool to teach people how to play a real guitar or anything like its competitor.  Moreover, it's a game that brings us back to the glory days of Guitar Hero.  It's a shame to see people trying to almost compare it apples to apples with something that is a completely different entity in what it wants to accomplish.  Warriors of Rock is not just a mere "tracklist" - it's the game fans of the franchise have wanted for a long time. 
    ________________________________________________________________- 

Until next time...piece.  In the meantime, WE ARE THE PRIESTS...OF THE TEMPLES...OF SYRIIIINX!!! 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187
    IN THIS BLOG

Howdy folks.  For those reading this, it means that I've been able to peel myself away from Civilization V, Halo: Reach, Starcraft II, and my recent fiddlings with Guitar Hero: WoR and DJ Hero to actually type.  Needless to say, I've never had a single moment in my life where my fingers felt like they were going to fall off nearly as much as right now.  Blame Megadeth's "Holy Wars" and "This Day We Fight!" for that.  That's really all I've got for this part this week.  Therefore, ON WITH THE GAMES!!!

Guitar Hero As It Was Meant To Be

Many are probably looking at Warriors of Rock and saying "who cares about Guitar Hero?".  Ladies and gentlemen, I care about Guitar Hero.  As someone who frequently posted on the RedOctane forums during the GH 2 and 3 days, it's frustrating to see some reviews that are bashing that game into the ground.  Then again, it's a tough sale when the world has become used to the ways of its competitor, Rock Band.  However, there's a strong difference between Rock Band and Guitar Hero:  GH is a GAME, while Rock Band is a STOREFRONT.  Unfortunately, Activision didn't realize this when they were making some of the previous entries, and in turn, it soured the Guitar Hero name by trying to be its competitor.  We don't come to Guitar Hero to lay down money for shitloads of DLC.  We come to Guitar Hero for the schlocky fun that it offers, the vastly superior HOPO system, and the over-the-top feel and reverence it has for rock 'n' roll.  This is what makes Warriors of Rock the true successor to Guitar Hero II and III in every way possible, and let it be known:  Warriors of Rock IS THE BEST in the franchise so far

Rush's
     Rush's "2112" is seriously fucking awesome, and even narrated by Rush themselves!!!
    Then again, maybe I'm looking at it through a set of proverbial beer goggles.  Maybe this game does look dull and boring in comparison to Rock Band to the average consumer.  Maybe the lack of personality that can be found in Rock Band or the fact that the game relies on microtransactions in a world where people bitch about things that rely on microtransactions appeal to many others.  I'm not saying Rock Band is a bad game by any means, but it's interesting how it does everything that people don't like in the industry at the moment...yet it's held on this high pedestal.  Meanwhile, Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock features a ton of personality by using its cavalcade of unique characters to their full advantage.  This is thanks to an over-the-top and ridiculous story in the Quest mode that makes you jump up and scream "HELL YEAH, ROCK 'N' ROLL BABY!".  There's also the Quickplay+ setup, which offers challenges for every single song in much the same way that Guitar Hero 5 TRIED to implement.  The real winning factor of Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock is that the game focuses on the competitive side far more this time, which was what made Guitar Hero II and III so worthwhile to so many.  This time around, thanks to Facebook and Twitter connectivity as well as revamped leaderboard support and the ability to target your friends' scores directly to beat them, that competitive edge is finally where it needs to be. 

Sure, it features a lot of the same things we saw in previous Guitar Hero games.  The deciding factor is that everything is streamlined, fully featured, and well-implemented.  Throw into that all of the minor improvements - singing characters have full lip-syncing on their character models, guitarists and bassists will come up to a mic and sing back-up vocals, the tracklisting that feels like it was plucked directly from the thousands of "wishlists" that would get posted to the Guitar Hero forums on a regular basis...so many things have been brought up to a new level for the franchise.  I mean, I can't even fathom how many times I've seen songs like Megadeth's "Holy Wars" or John 5's "Black Widow of La Porte" come up in peoples' wishlists, but on top of that, they went so far as to add Tesla's "Modern Day Cowboy", Styx's "Renegade", The Offspring's "Self Esteem"...  Fuck, they've even got THE BUZZCOCKS on this damn game!  Yeah, maybe it's all available as DLC on the competitor's game.  However, when you see the performances being given, when you see the note charts, you realize that these songs belong to Guitar Hero.  This is their home.  The moment you play Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" and watch how the performance in the background is mimicking both the music video as well as Wayne's World and other general references to the song throughout the years, it's tough to not fall in love with the game.  Some would lead you to believe that the game is made up of nothing but sludgy metal for huge chunks, when in fact the game is comprised of about 25% metal total.  The rest goes across many different genres of rock (at least eight core genres), picking out the BEST songs from those genres to represent them.  I'm not a fan of indie, but I'll be fucking damned if I didn't enjoy playing some indie on this game.  

I could go on and on about the game - how Rush's 20-minute epic "2112" in seven full parts makes a great middle-point for the game's Quest mode, how the game offers the challenge that has been missing from the GH games for so long, so many things.  In the end, it makes me realize one thing:  this is a game that was made to be a GAME, not a tool to teach people how to play a real guitar or anything like its competitor.  Moreover, it's a game that brings us back to the glory days of Guitar Hero.  It's a shame to see people trying to almost compare it apples to apples with something that is a completely different entity in what it wants to accomplish.  Warriors of Rock is not just a mere "tracklist" - it's the game fans of the franchise have wanted for a long time. 
    ________________________________________________________________- 

Until next time...piece.  In the meantime, WE ARE THE PRIESTS...OF THE TEMPLES...OF SYRIIIINX!!! 

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff
    deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 18

I've always liked Guitar Hero more than Rock Band, but not because it's a store. I wish they'd have a Guitar Hero storefront that works with all games. My complaint with Rock Band is that it doesn't feel like it connects as well when you hit notes. Guitar Hero definitely feels like a game, which is why I'm playing Guitar Hero. Excited about this one, but I gotta wait til I get some more money. Bring on the Megadeth GH!

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By recroulette

I loved this game.

I mean, as far as reviews go, yeah it's not that good. But I loved the cheesy story and the characters.
     The powers are pretty neat, it's funny how getting 6 stars on a song was near impossible back in the day.
    Now you can get 40 with ease.

The usual Activision BS kicks in, calling the story only 55 percent done when you beat it. Or the spirit versions of characters. 
    But I really, really love this game. 

It helps that I've bought every GH game since 3, and have all of the codes to import the music.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

I thought going into this that I may be convinced that this could be a game for me. As I discovered though, I think I was right before. Mostly because I'm not this person:

This is thanks to an over-the-top and ridiculous story in the Quest mode that makes you jump up and scream "HELL YEAH, ROCK 'N' ROLL BABY!" 

It feels like they've gone in a direction that I can't really get behind. 

I think you are dismissing Rock Band too quickly as well. It's not just a DLC store. It's not just a way of teaching people to play real instruments either. It's a combination of a lot of different things and it gives people choices as to how they experience it. I think that's why myself and some others prefer Rock Band. Rock Band's just more my style as well, all the way from the style of the devs at Harmonix, down through the game its self. 

But as you said, they're not really comperable games anymore. I can more or less agree with that.
    LibraryDues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By LibraryDues

moar lik warriors of COCK !!

AMIRITE!?!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakob187
    @JJWeatherman: Again, I'm not saying that I hate Rock Band or something.  I've bought DLC (specifically stuff from Pantera's Great Southern Trendkill album).  I've played it.  I thoroughly enjoyed The Beatles: Rock Band (to the point that I named it one of my top 10 games of last year).  Regardless, that game has no personality to it.  There's features that allow you to create your own characters and such, just as there is in Guitar Hero.  If I had to compare the "personality" of each game, Rock Band is like only having sex in missionary and doggystyle.  It's good, but after a while, you realize that it's just going to be the same old shit over and over.  Every once in a while, something crazy gets thrown in there that makes you freak out a little, but overall, it's always at a medium pace.  Guitar Hero, on the other hand, has no inhibitions and it'll fuck you five ways to Friday for four hours straight before it pulls out, jizzes on your face, makes you swallow, then gets right back to fucking.  It leaves you sore and wanting more. 

Rock Band is a fine product, and as you point out, it definitely seems like we are finally at the point where both of the products are able to be their own entities.  I just think it's kind of crappy to see reviews saying the game is "bad" or anything of the sort...when it's not.  In terms of functionality, it's better than ever.  In terms of features, it's jam-packed.  In terms of song quality, it's the best it's been in years.  In terms of store access, it's great.  Therefore, if everything is honestly better than it's been...and it plays better than previous games...and the setup feels better than other games... 

...then why is it being reviewed poorly?  Because the game isn't adding any BIG new features like a keyboard or three-part harmonies?  Again, it's a game, not a real-world trainer...which is what Rock Band 3 honestly feels like it's trying to be.  It feels as though the reviews for this game are not taking it on the merits of what it is, but rather the fact that it's not Rock Band.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By FunExplosions

Well, I bought Guitar Hero III. The only songs I enjoyed were Queens of the Stoneage's "3's and 7's" and a couple of those bonus techno-sounding tracks. 

Traditional "Rock" just isn't my thing, I guess. When you say "Indie" do you mean actually indie? Or just like The Strokes or something.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By turboman

I don't like 95% of the setlist in Guitar Hero, so I hate Guitar Hero automatically.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @jakob187:  

Guitar Hero, on the other hand, has no inhibitions and it'll fuck you five ways to Friday for four hours straight before it pulls out, jizzes on your face, makes you swallow, then gets right back to fucking.  It leaves you sore and wanting more. 

...Eww. 

...then why is it being reviewed poorly?  Because the game isn't adding any BIG new features like a keyboard or three-part harmonies?  Again, it's a game, not a real-world trainer...which is what Rock Band 3 honestly feels like it's trying to be.  It feels as though the reviews for this game are not taking it on the merits of what it is, but rather the fact that it's not Rock Band.

This is a good point. The two games are indeed starting to become different things and yet reviewers are probably still making comparisons. (Full disclosure: I haven't actually read any reviews yet. I have no idea what they're actually saying in regards to comparisons). If they are indeed making comparisons though, it's to be expected. Whether or not it's fair is highly debatable, but it's gonna happen. Everyone should keep that in mind when reading reviews. Obviously a good reviewer should be objective, but with the relation these games have to each other, it's tough. But as I was saying, nobody should take the metacritic score very seriously and just read the reviews to see if they think they would like the new direction of the game. 

This is something you always have to take into account, but more so in this case.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187
    @FunExplosions said:
    "When you say "Indie" do you mean actually indie? Or just like The Strokes or something. "

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FunExplosions
    @jakob187: Argh. I hate Phoenix. Their songs always start out so neat... and then that fucking voice has to start singing. Oh god, it's so horrible. 

I was hoping you meant "indie" like: 

or 

... I guess that's too much to ask for...
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan

The main reason I haven't bought it yet is because I don't really think that a music rhythm game is worth $60. Last year I was able to get Guitar Hero III Guitar Bundle and Guitar Hero Metallica (all of which was new) for about $50. So I'm waiting for it to go on sale. 

That and I read that there was going to be a bunch of paid Soundgarden DLC, and I especially want that (seeing as how Soundgarden is my favorite band), so I'd like the retail price to go down enough to offset that. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jakob187
    @MooseyMcMan: I should point out that all new copies of Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock come with a copy of Soundgarden's Telephantasm.  Since I was already going to buy that, it means that I was basically buying the game for, like, $45.  Plus, I had $16 in credit from a bunch of old ass games I didn't need anymore.  Therefore, $30 ain't too shabby for the game.  I still would've paid $60, though. 

As for the Soundgarden DLC, it's the entire Telephantasm album, which is a greatest hits record.  Totally awesome, BUT it costs 1440 MSP.  In essence, that's around $17.00 for the DLC.  I like Soundgarden, but not THAT much...and there are at least two songs on that album I could do without. 

I'm also a huge Soundgarden fan, and in case you haven't heard the new songs, they are totally great. 

@FunExplosions: o.O  I'm thinking that your definition of indie and my definition of indie are a bit different.  I've never thought of Red Hot Chili Peppers or Death From Above 1979 as indie.  I'm thinking more along the lines of Modest Mouse/Franz Ferdinand/Phoenix/Arcade Fire/Interpol.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By natetodamax

I absolutely despise Guitar Hero's representation of rock music. To them it seems like rock music is nothing but wearing as much leather and chains as you possibly can while painting your fingernails black and growing your hair down to your knees. They're only showing one side of it. And I hate that. 

One of reasons why I really like Rock Band is because it isn't just "OH MAN ROCK 'N' ROLL BABY, YOU KNOW THE KIND WHERE YOU'RE ALL LIKE DUUUUDE AND BANG YOUR HEAD LIKE EFFIN' CRAZY MAN". 

toymachinesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By toymachinesh

Yeah instead it's boring animations that make the vocalist look like they have lethargy 

Awesome alternative right!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.