For those unaware, my forum home before Giant Bomb was Red Octane's boards. I was a Guitar Hero freak, and in turn, one thing we normally talked about before the release of a Guitar Hero game was "what songs should be on the next game". Now, usually, it was full of elitest pricks that wanted an entire setlist of Cacophony, and while that's great and all, the game still needs variety. Some article somewhere talked about how much they were sick of the "dick-stroking metal" that Guitar Hero seems to frequently enjoy. That guy can suck a fat one.
So, consider this the official "What Songs Should Be On Warriors of Rock" thread. Be serious or not, but please make sure that you at least EXPLAIN why the song should be on there. Don't just say "it's cool". Would the gem highway feel unique and varied? Does the song show a lot of presence in chord usage? Epic ass solo? Good groove and generally fun song to jam out to? GIVE US REASONS!
Here's a small list of songs I'd like to see:
- Into Eternity - "A Black Light Ending": Not only is Into Eternity one of the best examples of metal for the 21st century, but the song presents a unique challenge. It's not SUPER crazy like Dragonforce would present. It's coherent, the mix of chord progressions and technicality is nice, and trying to do well while emulating Stu Block's amazing vocals would just be awesome. This is definitely some top tier stuff, but it would still be an excellent addition to Guitar Hero.
- Flyleaf - "Fully Alive": Whether you like them or not, this has an excellent guitar riff that's got a good groove which can only be found in Texas (okay, maybe I'm a little biased given that I live about an hour from their hometown and remember their local shows). The song isn't super complicated, which makes it more accessible. Lacey's vocals are great on this track as usual, especially with the pitch shift on the chorus. However, it's that chunky fucking palm mute during the verse that would just be killer fun to groove to while slinging an axe.
- Guns 'N' Roses - "Paradise City": This is the EPITOME of arena rock songs! One thing that many Guitar Hero games really lack is the kind of song where everyone starts singing because it's just that goddamn infectious. "Paradise City" is a song that everyone knows, whether they like it or not. Plus, the game could always use one of the best guitar riffs that Slash ever wrote.
- Rage Against The Machine - "The Darkness": This was a track that they released on The Crow soundtrack, and it's still one of my favorite Rage tracks. Every instrument part is incredible, and Zack wrecks it on this track. "Know Your Enemy" would be a bit more interesting, but just not as fun for me.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Fight Like A Brave": The funky Flea bass riffs? Slovak's awesome guitar riffs? Immense amounts of fun? Memories of the awesome music video and Tony Hawk ? Yeah, this would be a perfect addition to a Guitar Hero game!
That's a short list. I'm sure I'll think of more as they come along.
What about you, Giant Bomb community?