Guitar Hero World Tour On the Cheap

Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
Not buying this is the same as setting money on fire!
I'm feeling a little conflicted here. So Amazon 's having a one-day sale on Guitar Hero World Tour full-band bundles, knocking a full $100 off the Xbox 360 , Wii , and PS2 versions ( PS3 appears not to be in stock, unfortunately.)  Considering that the drums on their own usually go for $99.99, that's a crazy deal. While I generally feel like Harmonix puts together a better game with Rock Band , I think the Guitar Hero gear is just better, particularly the drums--the main pads are bigger and more satisfying to hit, and the cymbals help further the illusion that you're playing the drums for-realsies. Keep in mind that this endorsement comes in spite of the fact that both the guitar and the drum kit I got when I bought Guitar Hero World Tour at launch both had issues, though to be fair, I don't think there's been a single one of these games released that didn't suffer from some measure of hardware failure. So now the question is, do I take advantage of this awesome deal for bulky video-game nonsense that I don't really need, adding more undue tension to my cohabitation situation, or do I make do with what I've already got?

I'm sure many of you are in the same boat, though if, on the outside crazy chance that you're in the market for some plastic instruments, this is a terrific bargain. It would seem that this deal is at least partially inspired by the need to make room for the September release of Guitar Hero 5 , and while neither Activision nor Neversoft have said anything official about the GH5 hardware, it doesn't sound like it'll be too radically different from what World Tour shipped with.
Staff
#1 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
Not buying this is the same as setting money on fire!
I'm feeling a little conflicted here. So Amazon 's having a one-day sale on Guitar Hero World Tour full-band bundles, knocking a full $100 off the Xbox 360 , Wii , and PS2 versions ( PS3 appears not to be in stock, unfortunately.)  Considering that the drums on their own usually go for $99.99, that's a crazy deal. While I generally feel like Harmonix puts together a better game with Rock Band , I think the Guitar Hero gear is just better, particularly the drums--the main pads are bigger and more satisfying to hit, and the cymbals help further the illusion that you're playing the drums for-realsies. Keep in mind that this endorsement comes in spite of the fact that both the guitar and the drum kit I got when I bought Guitar Hero World Tour at launch both had issues, though to be fair, I don't think there's been a single one of these games released that didn't suffer from some measure of hardware failure. So now the question is, do I take advantage of this awesome deal for bulky video-game nonsense that I don't really need, adding more undue tension to my cohabitation situation, or do I make do with what I've already got?

I'm sure many of you are in the same boat, though if, on the outside crazy chance that you're in the market for some plastic instruments, this is a terrific bargain. It would seem that this deal is at least partially inspired by the need to make room for the September release of Guitar Hero 5 , and while neither Activision nor Neversoft have said anything official about the GH5 hardware, it doesn't sound like it'll be too radically different from what World Tour shipped with.
Staff
#2 Edited by Snail (8593 posts) -

Hm.

Oh, the not the PS3 version?
Forget it then.

#3 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -

Should be sold out soon since the deal has been up since midnight PST. Better hurry for a great deal

#4 Posted by Jimbo_N (1197 posts) -

Just bought my THIRD plastic drumkit.. man... I´m really starting to feel like a douche. But Expert+ tends to take its toll on the drums on the other hand, and its an absolute blast.

#5 Posted by FlamingHobo (4482 posts) -

Damn, I live in the UK.
Ah well, no room for this plastic set in my room anyway.

#6 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Although I would like a new (and cheaper) set of drums for The Beatles: Rock Band, I think I'm quite done buying plastic instruments.

#7 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -
@Ryan: Nice, I could use this because all I have is a plastic GH 2 guitar. Do the instruments work with Rock Band?
#8 Posted by brocool (701 posts) -

For my fellow Canadians..

Best Buy is having a sale on  GH:WT for $99 from july 7-9

Plus infamous for 29.99 TOMORROW!

#9 Posted by McQuinn (651 posts) -

Hmm.  Too bad I use the ps3.  But i have been wondering.  Do the WT drums work in Rock Band.

#10 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6139 posts) -

I think I'm going to pick up a music game of some sort in the future, but I'm leaning towards Rock Band.  Here's hoping Amazon has a similar deal for it sometime in the next few months.

Moderator Online
#11 Edited by theMcNasty (741 posts) -

I used to work at Guitar Center in Seattle and I couldn't believe how many people came in for $50 guitar straps and $75 drum thrones (read: chairs) for this game.  Working in the accessories section, these people were my sales-day bread and butter.

#12 Posted by Kohe321 (3523 posts) -

Plastic ftw!

#13 Posted by phlegms (1607 posts) -

I'm saving my quota of plastic instruments for The Beatles Rock Band.

#14 Posted by strangeling (1260 posts) -

This deal made me sad.

You see, I'd just bought the kit the week before for $130, because I thought that was a good price.
#15 Posted by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -

Can they guarantee it'll be a drum kit without the issues?

My GH:WT set; the guitar strum bar broke and the drum kit I'm returning now. Horrible experiences all around.
#16 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -

Too bad I'd play Rock Band over Guitar Hero WT any day.

#17 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

no ps3 left?  Ah man... I might still get it for the 360 though...

#18 Posted by Spiral_Stars (456 posts) -

Curse you, no international shipping. CURSE YOU!!!!!!

#19 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

Protip: the PS2 and PS3 sets are exactly the same, except it contains a different disk. If you want the PS3 version, just buy the PS2 sets and get the Bluray disk used.

#20 Posted by killdave (1073 posts) -

No PS3 versions because Activision didn't make many... they know they don't sell. (Or so they say :p)

#21 Posted by diminian (36 posts) -

Walmart had the same special, of which I took advantage of. By the way to anyone who is against GH, Rockband has also gone slightly down in price.... at Gamestop.

#22 Edited by MeatSim (10817 posts) -

I am glad I have no plastic instruments because I have no room left in my game space already.

#23 Posted by DavidSnakes (675 posts) -

Too bad I'm completely tired of stupid-ass plastic instrument games.  I wouldn't buy it for $20 (assuming I couldn't turn it around and sell it)

#24 Posted by FlipperDesert (2082 posts) -

The full set's still ridiculously expensive on Amazon UK people, just so you know. Shame really, for $99 in England moneys I'd buy that happily.

#25 Posted by alsnuts2 (674 posts) -

That is a crazy deal, but I just have way too much plastic crap in my living room I dont play anymore

#26 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4894 posts) -

Did people miss EB's amazing deal a few weeks ago? I guess so.

#27 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

I decided to order it. I would end up kicking my self later if I didn't.

#28 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -
@SJSchmidt93: What deal did EB have?
#29 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4894 posts) -
@Wolverine:

This.

The prices they were at have been removed, but the guitar kit was $50 I believe and full band was $100 for GH:WT. Other than that can't remember exactly what was marked down to where.
#30 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

this will be my first time buying one of these music games, what can i say? the price was right

#31 Posted by Crispy (210 posts) -

Question: Wii or PS2 version?
Sounds kind of obvious, but I already have a PS2 guitar from Guitar Hero 2.
Are there any significant benefits of the Wii version over the PS2 version?

#32 Posted by bonesquad (13 posts) -

Sold!!! I already have GH:WT for the Wii, but I was using my GH3 guitar to play it. Plus I always wanted the drums, but just couldn't justify the price. But for $90? Add in a second guitar (and a mic I guess), I couldn't pass it up. Then if I can sell this new copy of GH:WT for a few bucks even better. Though I'll be quite upset if these guitars/drums don't work with RB Beatles and GH5... (What can I say, I still love these games at least:)

@Crispy: I think the biggest plus of the Wii version is downloadable content. Both paid tracks and fan made MIDI tracks. The PS2 doesn't have that.

#33 Posted by RichLee (58 posts) -

well for me this was a no brainer.  thanks giant bomb for the tip!

My current plastic instrument collection; guitar hero ii guitar (wired and not very responsive anymore), guitar hero III guitar (wireless and works pretty well, with a missed strum here and there), and rockband 1 full set (guitar is broken, drums kind of sucked).  

Never bought rockband 2 or gh:wt instruments so it was a good time for an upgrade.  i know i'll be buying rockband beatles, and i much, much prefer guitar hero guitar peripherals.  i haven't used the guitar hero drums yet but most people, including ryan "the truth" davis, seem to prefer them over the rockband ones.  

plus i never got guitar hero world tour the game.  so again...no brainer.
#34 Posted by Insectecutor (1186 posts) -
@alsnuts2 said:
" That is a crazy deal, but I just have way too much plastic crap in my living room I dont play anymore "
I guess Amazon feel the same way, hence the mega price drop stock clearance.

I already own the GH4 instruments for use exclusively with Rock Band 2 - the drums are great but the guitar has that infuriating squeaky strum bar so it's never used. The Rock Band 2 guitar is much better.
#35 Posted by Daryl (1781 posts) -

All this additional plastic hardware crap just turns me off from any of these games.

#36 Posted by EndrzGame (323 posts) -

Saving my scratch for The Beatles:Rock Band with the George Harrison Gibson. I'm still using my GH2 controller and that's all I've needed. I have friends that spend waaaaaay too much for all the drums and microphones and what have you between both GH and RB.

#37 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

the only music game that looks and sounds interesting is DJ Hero

#38 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

The sale is over and the game is $160 now.

#39 Posted by risingsunset7890 (48 posts) -

This is the start of my plastic instruments collection =D Also, GH:WT instruments will work with RB2, but not 1

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.