Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero World Tour

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Oct 26, 2008

The fourth game in the Guitar Hero series adds drums and vocals to the mix, along with a music studio that you can use to create new tracks and share them online.

Stress and GH:WT Impressions

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Edited By HairyMike87

Que pasa!

I hate stress. I wish I could just take it out of my body and choke-slam it through my floor into hell.  When I'm not at school, I'm home stressing over it with tests and whatnot. I hate it sooooooo much!

Last night, my friend brought over GH:WT when I was supposed to be studying. I absolutely love that game. The new guitar took a little getting used to but I think it is a good addition by Red Octane. Playing the solo in Satch Boogie with the touch pad was really fun, even though I missed most of the notes.

I gotta get this off my chest, I HATE the art direction this game is taking with their character models and whatnot. Axel Steel looked like he was anorexic and just flat out ugly. Even though it is a huge step up from GH3, they get off the hook by letting you create your own characters, which allows you to not have to stare at the same ugly people all the time.  Hopefully, they get someone else to come in and redesign the game for a better overall presentation in the future (they have the money).

The music in the game is a better blend of different styles compared to GH3, which is a huge plus. Also, most of the songs are not as hard but some still suffer from artificially charting in chords or extra notes to make a song harder. I play the guitar in real life, so call me a purist when it comes to little things like that.  From what I played, I FC'd about 3 or 4 songs, a rarity for me, but that didn't make me hate the game for being easier, it made me happy that it will be somewhat more accessible to a wider audience and people who can't FC the whole game within a year.

So far, it looks like the game is getting a decent amount of DLC. I don't expect it to be weekly like another game, considering how GH3's DLC promises were basically bull doodiepies, but so far you have Death Magnetic, Classic Rock Pack, Neversoft Pack and a Guitar Duel Pack (19 songs I think) and more on the way. It's a shame that people won't have the luxury of getting songs every week, but by christmas, there should be a decent amount (probably not) for myself and others to complain about, but we'll have to see.

Overall, my first experience with the game was great and I cannot wait until christmas when I get my final music game bundle (no more instruments until the next console if not compatible). Now you can say, well, you have Rock Band also, so it's the same game. That's true that even though they are the same concept, most people will be loyal to at least 1 of the brands. In my case, I like GH more than RB due to GH having a bigger impact and the introducion of plastic fun into my life, but I still like both games for being music games so I win no matter what. : ).

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By HairyMike87

Que pasa!

I hate stress. I wish I could just take it out of my body and choke-slam it through my floor into hell.  When I'm not at school, I'm home stressing over it with tests and whatnot. I hate it sooooooo much!

Last night, my friend brought over GH:WT when I was supposed to be studying. I absolutely love that game. The new guitar took a little getting used to but I think it is a good addition by Red Octane. Playing the solo in Satch Boogie with the touch pad was really fun, even though I missed most of the notes.

I gotta get this off my chest, I HATE the art direction this game is taking with their character models and whatnot. Axel Steel looked like he was anorexic and just flat out ugly. Even though it is a huge step up from GH3, they get off the hook by letting you create your own characters, which allows you to not have to stare at the same ugly people all the time.  Hopefully, they get someone else to come in and redesign the game for a better overall presentation in the future (they have the money).

The music in the game is a better blend of different styles compared to GH3, which is a huge plus. Also, most of the songs are not as hard but some still suffer from artificially charting in chords or extra notes to make a song harder. I play the guitar in real life, so call me a purist when it comes to little things like that.  From what I played, I FC'd about 3 or 4 songs, a rarity for me, but that didn't make me hate the game for being easier, it made me happy that it will be somewhat more accessible to a wider audience and people who can't FC the whole game within a year.

So far, it looks like the game is getting a decent amount of DLC. I don't expect it to be weekly like another game, considering how GH3's DLC promises were basically bull doodiepies, but so far you have Death Magnetic, Classic Rock Pack, Neversoft Pack and a Guitar Duel Pack (19 songs I think) and more on the way. It's a shame that people won't have the luxury of getting songs every week, but by christmas, there should be a decent amount (probably not) for myself and others to complain about, but we'll have to see.

Overall, my first experience with the game was great and I cannot wait until christmas when I get my final music game bundle (no more instruments until the next console if not compatible). Now you can say, well, you have Rock Band also, so it's the same game. That's true that even though they are the same concept, most people will be loyal to at least 1 of the brands. In my case, I like GH more than RB due to GH having a bigger impact and the introducion of plastic fun into my life, but I still like both games for being music games so I win no matter what. : ).

ToRo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ToRo

You do know Guitar Hero 1 and 2 where made by Harmonix, the guys that are making Rockband? You should be liking Harmonix for having a bigger impact of plastic fun in your life, not guitar hero.

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HairyMike87

Duh I know Harmonix is behind all of this. They deserve all the credit. But, I can't play Harmonix the company, I can play Guitar Hero and Rock Band. So the game had a much bigger impact on me than the people who made it, get it?

Cars go WOO WOOOOOOOO.

Rezzolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Rezzolution

Don't worry, man. I'm right there with you. College is some hard work. I have 4 sealed games sitting next to me that I just can't seem to find the time to play due to school. And on top of it all my 360 RROD'd today. So I had to go blow $300 on a new one. But yeah, you're not alone.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

LCad said:
    "HairyMike87 said:
     But, I can't play Harmonix the company, I can play Guitar Hero and Rock Band. So the game had a much bigger impact on me than the people who made it, get it?
    I only "get it" if you got into Guitar Hero with Guitar Hero 3.  I've probably played over 100 hours of Guitar Hero 2, was disappointed with 3 and moved onto Rock Band/2 which went in a much more preferable/fresh direction.  I still go back to Guitar Hero 2 every once in a while and it's fun.  I can't say the same regarding Guitar Hero 3."
    Same.  I definitely put most of my time into Guitar Hero 2, so I appreciate the ambition, the style, and the execution of Rock Band much more than the correlative parts of the new, Neversoft-captained Guitar Hero games.  GH3 was not bad, per se, but there was a sense in which the crisp soul of the game had been worn away in an effort to match the deftness of Harmonix's prior products. 

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Xandurson

Yeah, I love GH: WT as well. The only DLC I didn't get for it is Death Magnetic cause I'm worried it won't be worth the 800-1600 points they want for it.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

GamerGeek360 said:
    "Yeah, I love GH: WT as well. The only DLC I didn't get for it is Death Magnetic cause I'm worried it won't be worth the 800-1600 points they want for it."
    Death Magnetic is actually a pretty fun track pack. The songs aren't overly difficult and they're all pretty well charted. I'd reccomend watching some videos of the charts and giving it a second chance.

I bought both RB2 and GH: WT. I liked GH3 more than RB but I put tons of time into both just out of love of the genre. After playing a lot of RB2 GH: WT was a bit dissapointing to me. Why? In my opinion they put all of their effort in all of the wrong places. They did an overhaul of the game's interface and shrunk the rock meter and made the multiplier a tiny fretboard extension (it's hard to explain...). The music player is clearly what they were trying to perfect in this one, but I don't really feel like there is a wide enough variety of scales and effects to make a halfway decent song (you can only do blue and orange chords? REALLY?). The toning down of the difficulty is nice but I felt the game was a bit too easy (Satch Boogie was the only song I had trouble with on expert guitar) for series veterans. One problem I had with both games was the whole pre-determined set interface of the career mode. I liked the tiered old style of RB1 and GH1-3 better than this world tour bussiness.

Anyways, getting back to the music studio. I've been trying to, let's face it, cover some of my favorite songs for the game (The Unforgiven by Metallica for one...) and found that 90% of the sound effects sound exactly the same. All of the distortion sounds the same, and the three clean settings all sound generic as well. If this is what real musicians are using then more power to them.

There's an option to "unlock" in the effects selection, and it displays a message about GH:WT.com. Will entering some code online give you more effects or something? I certainly hope so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.