Square Enix's Gun Loco Gets Canned

• 65 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Don’t expect to see Gun Loco in 2011 or, uh, ever. Using the game’s official Japanese site to carry the message, Square Enix has announced that the curious third-person shooter has been canned, according to translations. The game was supposed to debut on the Xbox 360 exclusively at some point this year.

Gun Loco was announced back in August and it turned heads with its strange art. The misshapen, odd assortment of characters, wearing anything from bunny suits to new-age gladiator gear, were a product of toy maker Kenny Wong’s design. Wong is probably best known for his role with Hong Kong-based company brothersfree, which has churned out some toys that feature a similar twisted style.  

The translation of the Web page provided via Andriasang makes no mention of why the game was cancelled. Square Enix previously seemed high on the title’s “sprint-action” that would have players ducking, lunging, and vaulting around arena environments in addition to dishing out physical punishment, but I suppose we’ll never get a chance to see how that stuff would have worked. At least, not in Gun Loco.

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Don’t expect to see Gun Loco in 2011 or, uh, ever. Using the game’s official Japanese site to carry the message, Square Enix has announced that the curious third-person shooter has been canned, according to translations. The game was supposed to debut on the Xbox 360 exclusively at some point this year.

Gun Loco was announced back in August and it turned heads with its strange art. The misshapen, odd assortment of characters, wearing anything from bunny suits to new-age gladiator gear, were a product of toy maker Kenny Wong’s design. Wong is probably best known for his role with Hong Kong-based company brothersfree, which has churned out some toys that feature a similar twisted style.  

The translation of the Web page provided via Andriasang makes no mention of why the game was cancelled. Square Enix previously seemed high on the title’s “sprint-action” that would have players ducking, lunging, and vaulting around arena environments in addition to dishing out physical punishment, but I suppose we’ll never get a chance to see how that stuff would have worked. At least, not in Gun Loco.

#2 Edited by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Scary rabbit

#3 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

Probably for the best

#4 Posted by Tordah (2478 posts) -

The trailer didn't do much for me so I can't say I'm sad.

#5 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Yeah, given what we've seen, I can't say I'm too upset. 

With the likes of Brink, Bulletstorm and Duke Nukem this year (absurd/hyper-fps), it would likely have just been lost among the crowd.

#6 Posted by SquirrelGOD (501 posts) -
@luce: Was EXACTLY what I was typing before I saw your post.
#7 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

Yeah, that was probably a good idea.

#8 Posted by MachoFantastico (4617 posts) -

A mate of mine was convinced they would, he was right on the mark.  

Probably the right decision, did not look good. 

#9 Posted by slantedwindows (272 posts) -
#10 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Making more time for Final Fantasy Caterpillar Chrysalis.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (24405 posts) -
@skinnyluigi:  You are an idiot.
#12 Posted by ryanedition (4 posts) -

Wow that looked worse than I suspected.

#13 Posted by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -

Good call.

#14 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Wow, that looked awful.

#15 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2489 posts) -

Alright, cool.

So tell me about Just Cause 3 now.

#16 Posted by kollay (1928 posts) -

You know what? I feel bad if there is any layoffs because of it, but I have to admit this is also good news. As big as SE is, they need to damn focus on the numerous projects they have at hand first that has higher potential of bringing in revenue to fund further projects. 

tl;dr: Stop spreading your workers and focus on the major titles.

#17 Posted by ZombieSpace (286 posts) -
@Krakn3Dfx said:
" Alright, cool.  So tell me about Just Cause 3 now. "
Guns. Scorpion guns.
#18 Posted by Killroycantkill (1401 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @skinnyluigi:  You are an idiot. "
#19 Posted by Brackynews (4060 posts) -

American McGee and Kenny Wong would probably get along great.

#20 Posted by ch3burashka (5040 posts) -

God damn it. It would have been good at best, mediocre at most likely, but I really wanted to see it. It was crazy enough to get my attention, and now Square has to go and shit on my day.  

The thing to do here is for Square to sell the IP to someone else, preferably a Western developer such as People Can Fly. It'd be a real shame to squander such a cool idea and design aesthetic.

#21 Posted by 1960sSpiderman (20 posts) -

We here at Square are in the business of making bad decisions, and business is good.  

#22 Edited by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

Really don't understand Square sometimes as it seems that every time they try to get away from FF/KH to some new IP they tend to turn tail or not fund it as well. Maybe someone from the team will be able to take this somewhere else to get worked on as the game itself looked interesting enough to dive a bit further into it (though didn't look that great but might have a few interesting moments in it).

#23 Posted by Cybexx (1165 posts) -

I wasn't expecting this to do well or be very good

#24 Posted by KyleBaron (160 posts) -

Someone cancelled the sequel to The Club before it had a chance to stay out of the bargain bin.

#25 Posted by CharAznable (781 posts) -

Ugh, glad this was canned. That video footage was released THIS YEAR and not in 1999?

#26 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

Yeah, that game looked pretty fuckin' bad. No surprise there.

#27 Posted by Hailinel (24405 posts) -
@Peisistratus said:
" We here at Square are in the business of making bad decisions, and business is good.   "
@fox01313 said:
"

Really don't understand Square sometimes as it seems that every time they try to get away from FF/KH to some new IP they tend to turn tail or not fund it as well. Maybe someone from the team will be able to take this somewhere else to get worked on as the game itself looked interesting enough to dive a bit further into it.

"
As long as Square Enix doesn't announce the specific whys regarding the game's cancellation, there's all sorts of speculation that could be made, but there's nothing that points to this being a poor business decision.

Frankly, the company got hammered last year with the failure of Final Fantasy XIV.  The game is still in the free trial phase while they try to fix everything that's bad about it.  The game is a financial albatross at this point; they either get it working, get players to subscribe and get at least some money from it, or they let it go and lose all of the money that they invested in the project.  The company has also temporarily shut down the FFXI and FFXIV servers to conserve energy at the Japanese government's request, and they will not be billing any players for subscription time as long as the servers are down.  Meaning that currently, Final Fantasy XI is not earning the company any income, and Final Fantasy XIV's recovery has been further set back.

Given this financial state of affairs, it's likely that Square Enix took a hard look at their projects in development and chose to axe Gun Loco because, as weird and "un-Square" as it is, it's also an untested, unproven game and not as likely to succeed in the market as games like Final Fantasy Versus XIII or XIII-2, Kingdom Hearts 3DS, or any entries from other existing franchises.  Which sucks, because I'd love to see some new IP from the company as well, but they also likely saw some very legitimate business reasons to cancel Gun Loco.
#28 Posted by ChristianCastillo (1178 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" Making more time for Final Fantasy Caterpillar Chrysalis. "  
yay
#29 Posted by Aetheldod (3552 posts) -

It is for the best , man that was awful

#30 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -
@ZombieSpace said:
" @Krakn3Dfx said:
Guns. Scorpion guns. "
Scorpions made of guns holding guns made of scorpions.
#31 Posted by MisterMouse (3550 posts) -

that is a bummer i guess.

#32 Posted by Icemael (6316 posts) -

I bet the one guy excited for it will be very disappointed.

#33 Posted by Terjay (813 posts) -

Good riddance.

#34 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1734 posts) -

Wait, was this announced?

#35 Posted by Hailinel (24405 posts) -
@VilhelmNielsen said:
" Wait, was this announced? "
Yes, last year.
#36 Posted by hustlerlt (321 posts) -

This is only for the better,because all I've seen of this game was terrible.

#37 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

For once developers understood a game is genuinely going to be crap and decided to scrap it.

#38 Posted by XChairmanDrekX (283 posts) -

You know guys, even the worst games have a lot of hard work put in to them by many developers, sure this game may not have been that great (Never will know for sure now) but you guys don't seem to understand the time/money/effort that goes into making any games.  This is a lot of hard work down the drain for many people who must be very disappointed.

#39 Posted by KickahaOta (142 posts) -

Sigh. My dreams of being a poorly-dressed rabbit furry in a somewhat mediocre-looking third-person shooter must remain unfulfilled.
#40 Edited by picklecannon (265 posts) -

Thank goodness, this game didn't look to good in the trailer.

#41 Posted by Junpei (744 posts) -
@Hailinel:  You pretty much summed up everything I was gonna say. It's just been setback after setback for Square and financial risk in new product is gonna come at a premium. As much as I love seeing all the PS1 classics coming out on the PSN store it won't even come close to denting the losses they've had in the past year.
#42 Posted by Redbullet685 (6034 posts) -

I was kinda looking forward to trying this.

#43 Posted by Deusoma (3005 posts) -
@RockmanBionics said:
" @ZombieSpace said:
" @Krakn3Dfx said:
Guns. Scorpion guns. "
Scorpions made of guns holding guns made of scorpions. "
So, do I just give you the money now, or do I have to wait for the official announcement?
#44 Posted by onarum (2066 posts) -

Thank god.

#45 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -
@Hailinel: 
Good point, guess that with all the zany stuff surrounding the FF online game I completely forgot about it. Still if the fans of square only want to see more FF & KH then they should start a smaller side studio to handle all the original IPs & let that studio learn lessons like this when the IP might not be that great in it's current form. Great thing about the game industry is that the cancelled games can always come back with the right people running the team/studio.
#46 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1734 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @VilhelmNielsen said:
Yes, last year. "
Thanks for the honest answer to my snarky, sarcastic asshole hypothetical question.
#47 Posted by Coldbrand (215 posts) -

Oh no, not another shitty Eidos game!

#48 Posted by Sharpshooter (886 posts) -
@onarum said:
" Thank god. "
I can't help but mirror that statement.
#49 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
@luce said:
" Probably for the best "
Yeah I'm glad to hear this actually.
#50 Posted by Hailinel (24405 posts) -
@VilhelmNielsen said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @VilhelmNielsen said:
Yes, last year. "
Thanks for the honest answer to my snarky, sarcastic asshole hypothetical question. "
I believe that was actually a rhetorical question, not a hypothetical one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.